View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 08:53 AM   #10
Barbara Jay
Hardware Hotshot

When I started down the "slippery slope" of card making I quickly learned my mistakes in purchases.
Don't stock up on cheap card stock from Walmart. You will be disappointed in the quality of your cards and end up using it as practice paper. If you want a variety pack Stampin Up sells one for each color family. You get 3 sheets of each color for $7.95.

I know I sound like a broken record for Stampin Up, but I found it to be the best way to start for paper. Not everything but definitely paper.
Don't fall for the paper and ribbon sales. It may seem like a savings ,but you won't have anything to match it . The paper stacks for $10 sound great , but you would be better off buying a couple of rolls of Scor tape with the money

Make a plan and only buy the things that will fit your plan. Always use coupons!!
Spellbinders will have the basic shapes next year too LOL
A paper trimmer isn't an exciting purchase but you need it!!

If you decide to buy Copics buy the ones you have "seen" someone use.
I bought the JustRite Old Fashioned Christmas set. Beate Johns ( a member here) has a video of a gatefold card. She lists the copics she used to color the sleigh. I bought just those colors. Those 9 colors worked with the other stamps in the set too. She had already figured out which colors work , why re-invent the wheel? LOL Quite a few designers will list the colors they used in a tutorial, Suzanne J Dean also lists the colors she uses in her tutorials I would rather have 9 colors that "work with what I have" then a set of 30 basic colors and none of them work well with "my" stamps. By following what the experts use eventually you will have a nice set of "useful" Copic colors
Just my newbie thoughts !
Barbara
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!