View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 01:05 PM   #6
Barbara Jay
Hardware Hotshot

I sympathize with you as I just started this less than a year ago.
I am very selective in my purchases . Just because it is pretty doesn't mean I have anything to go with it.
I have a versa mark, versafine in black and black memento ink.

I found that Stampin Up paper was the best way to start. One pack of designer paper and two coordinating solid colors will go a long way. . I am not a Stampin Up demo and barely know my demo.
All the store sales on paper and ribbon are fine if you have a lot of other paper and ribbon at home, but I found with a limited supply it never matched anything I have.

I bought the circle set of Nestibilities because I also bought two sets of JustRite Christmas stamps and they are circles .

I think you need to look at everything you buy and ask yourself will it work with what i have. Also avoid "one use" stamps for now , only buy stamps that will work for several designs. Before you buy a stamp check it out in the gallery and see how many different cards you see. If those who have been doing this for years can't think of many ways to use that stamp it is highly unlikely you will either

When you can afford it buy a die cutting/embossing machine such as Cuttlebug, Bigshot or Bigkick. You can get them with a coupon at Michael's or Joanns. The buy 3 or 4 generic embossing folders that will work for many cards. CB Swiss dot, Fluer de Lis, Argyle come to mind. Many of the embossing folders are limited use too.

One thing I found here is people who a lot of stuff share the pros and cons of each item. That can save you from buying things that will not be very useful.
It can be discouraging to see the entire rooms full of supplies, but they collected them over years
Hope this helps
Barbara

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 01-26-2010 at 01:09 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!