Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 121 Posts
Default Stamp 2 Spend Challenge 2011

I know from experience how difficult it is to use up what we have before purchasing something new. Two things are usually behind it... 1) new toys hit the market. oooo shiny things! 2) it's much easier to buy more than dig through the stash for what we want/need.

We're starting off a new decade with a new perspective. Let's declutter, decide what we want to keep, donate the rest and clear the deck for all new STAMPING/ SCRAPPING/ CREATIVE FUN!

THE CONCEPT:
Determine how much you want to PAY yourself for the following: (I'm asking we keep it to a creative vein to elimiate clutter and confusion in your signature)

How much will you pay yourself for:
1 double pg LO
5 cards (basic matting/ embossing/ embellishment)
5 ATCs
1 Altered Item
1 Premium Item (think explosion cards or intricate items)
1 Challenge (there are a lot of great threads on this Forum)
1 VSN event
1 Meet-Up event
1 Updated Creative Blog Post
1 Gallery Upload (this is one DAY - not Item. You upload Mon - Fri. you
get 5 credits.)

How will you keep track? Last year I decorated a blank check register. I got credit for an 'altered item' this way. hehe I keep it on my work surface so when I'm done at the end of the day I can notate my 'deposit'. I also make sure all 'expenses' get deducted when I've been shopping.

Some people have designed Excel sheets to keep track on their computer.

Let's keep the RED out of our check register and on our projects for 2010!

Last edited by ScrappinCEO; 12-27-2010 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: changing year
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 05:48 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Hi

Last yrs thread was in general stamping-this is in challanges.

Will people be able to find this thread??

just a thought

oh-and I could never do this challenge. I only posted 53 cards in my gallery for 2009. Granted many were for swaps so I did make more than 53. BUT I could never put a limit on my spending. Not that I spend a ton and get into trouble. But if I see something I like. Got to buy it when I see it. Too many times I have said-oh I will come back later to get that. THEN it is gone!!

Being here in Oahu the Ben Franklin is sooooo low on stock it even isn't funny any more. I so can't wait to be back stateside for craft/stamping shopping!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 06:20 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it ok to accumulate per card and single layout? I don't get the chance to play as often as I'd like. If I count in double pages (which I don't always do) or my cards by fives, I won't show much progress! <grin>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 06:58 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'll play along, I need to keep my spending under control AND make a dent in my stash.
BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 08:18 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hmmmm....I think I'll try this...since I haven't done anything in the new year yet LOL and am planning to do something today. So we set our own "credits"?

Only problem is...I dont' think there's any room left in my signature LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 09:15 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I lost count last year :( Hopefully this year will be better My signature is all set!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
Hi

Last yrs thread was in general stamping-this is in challanges.

Will people be able to find this thread??

just a thought

Being here in Oahu the Ben Franklin is sooooo low on stock it even isn't funny any more. I so can't wait to be back stateside for craft/stamping shopping!!

Good thought, Leslie. I say we all spread the word. The fact that the list of forums is shorter in Challenges might help.

I'm amazed they still have a Ben Franklin. I thought they had shut them all down several years ago.

Where in IL are you from? We just moved out of IL about three years ago. My husband grew up there and I'd lived there most of 30 years.

We'll be here to welcome you stateside!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by natlholView Post
Is it ok to accumulate per card and single layout? I don't get the chance to play as often as I'd like. If I count in double pages (which I don't always do) or my cards by fives, I won't show much progress! <GRIN>
Sure! My list was only meant as a guideline. Figure out the $ amount that is going to work for you and help keep you motivated.

I found myself fighting for time last year after my daughter/granddaughter moved in. This year I hope to put VSNs on my calendar just like any other appointment I wouldn't want to miss. I also am taking back Creative Saturdays and rejoining a yahoogroup I used to belong to called Reindeer Club.

It's important not to lose who we are amongst the family stuff. Even if you can only spend 15 or 20 minutes a couple days a week... use one session for planning or sorting pics, another session for pulling papers/cs/embellishments. This is like getting things together for a crop. Then when you do have more time to sit, you'll be ready to go.. not spending precious time doing the basics.

Keep us posted on how you do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitsy73View Post
Hmmmm....I think I'll try this...since I haven't done anything in the new year yet LOL and am planning to do something today. So we set our own "credits"?

Only problem is...I dont' think there's any room left in my signature LOL
Hey Anita... glad you joined us. Set your own 'credits' and don't worry about the signature line. Maybe you could just post an update on a regular basis... like at the end of the week? a thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 01:40 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by smritiView Post
I lost count last year :( Hopefully this year will be better My signature is all set!!
Yeah!!!! Set up that check register. Alter the cover and you're already making a 'deposit'. hehe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

I grew up in the western burbs outside chicago. Married my hubby in 1988 and been traveling with the Air Force ever since.

We will be moving to Scott Air Force Base Illinois. We will be about 5 hours from my sis and hubby's family and 10 hours from my dad. Closest we have been to family in 21 years! I am so excited about this move. All so can't wait to do some real craft shopping. I can't even order from oriental trading company because they doubled shipping to hawaii. Now why would I order from them if shipping cost more than the product??? Been finding awful shipping here for the past 3 years!

Well, off to pack up the christmas tree. Pack out is the week of the 11th-8 days!!!

WOOO HOOOO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Question of the Week

QUESTION OF THE WEEK!
This week's question is a two-parter)

How organized is your work space? Does the space as it is, help or hinder your progress in staying out of the RED
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 01:46 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
I grew up in the western burbs outside chicago. Married my hubby in 1988 and been traveling with the Air Force ever since.

We will be moving to Scott Air Force Base Illinois.
Well, off to pack up the christmas tree. Pack out is the week of the 11th-8 days!!!

WOOO HOOOO
Hated my first (and only) Pack Out experience. Don't know how my sister did it with the Navy for 23 years.

I can tell you're just a tad bit excited to get home. I'm happy for you. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 02:24 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrappinCEOView Post
.... rejoining a yahoogroup I used to belong to called Reindeer Club.

It's important not to lose who we are amongst the family stuff. Even if you can only spend 15 or 20 minutes a couple days a week... use one session for planning or sorting pics, another session for pulling papers/cs/embellishments. This is like getting things together for a crop. Then when you do have more time to sit, you'll be ready to go.. not spending precious time doing the basics.

Keep us posted on how you do.
What's the Reindeer Club?

Also, I posted this on another thread, but my sister, my niece and I have started our own challenge to not buy anything scrap related until we complete 100 cards or layouts. We aren't counting adhesives, blades for cutters, mats for cricuts or photo processing. My niece is up to 11, and my sister is up to 6. I have almost 2 cards done. LOL!

I'm hoping to carve out 10 mins/morning before I leave for work to do something craft related. I'll set my timer so I don't forget to leave the house!

Thanks for the encouragement, and I'll keep you posted...hopefully with regular updates to my sig line, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Hated my first (and only) Pack Out experience. Don't know how my sister did it with the Navy for 23 years.

I can tell you're just a tad bit excited to get home. I'm happy for you. :-)
Yes I hate packout too! Hate strangers going through our things. But we have been real lucky,only a lotion dispenser and a tv broken in all of our moves. But this is only the second move that I have to worry about my stamping stuff, only started "collecting" stamps 6 years ago:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

What's the Reindeer Club?

Also, I posted this on another thread, but my sister, my niece and I have started our own challenge to not buy anything scrap related until we complete 100 cards or layouts. We aren't counting adhesives, blades for cutters, mats for cricuts or photo processing. My niece is up to 11, and my sister is up to 6. I have almost 2 cards done. LOL!

I'm hoping to carve out 10 mins/morning before I leave for work to do something craft related. I'll set my timer so I don't forget to leave the house!

Thanks for the encouragement, and I'll keep you posted...hopefully with regular updates to my sig line, too.
100 cards per person or total between the three of you?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

100 cards/layouts per person. We figure that we sometimes spend as much time on a card as we do a layout, so we're counting them equally.

They went to a 7 hour crop at Archiver's on New Year's Day. They told themselves that if they spent any money on stuff, then they'd have to start all over at zero! I thought that was kind of funny, but it kept them on their targets. I wish I could have gone, but I'm in Illinois and they're in Texas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

100 cards/layouts per person. We figure that we sometimes spend as much time on a card as we do a layout, so we're counting them equally.

They went to a 7 hour crop at Archiver's on New Year's Day. They told themselves that if they spent any money on stuff, then they'd have to start all over at zero! I thought that was kind of funny, but it kept them on their targets. I wish I could have gone, but I'm in Illinois and they're in Texas.
100 per person-Holly Cow! I think I just made that manny cards only cause a I was in card swaps and took 2 and 3 spots!!! I seem to make more cards for swaps that I do to "just send out to people"

Funny story about the crop-I of course would have bought something-then would have to start all over again:mrgreen:

I am moving to Scott Air Force Base Illinois. Are you around that area-Maybe we could do a lunch thing and go shopping-lol-only kidding! I would not enable you-I Support You!! You Go Girl-100 cards!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 03:09 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

I'm in the Western Suburbs. I'm not sure where the AFB is...I grew up in NJ and don't know a whole lot about Illinois.

I'm with you, though, about starting over at Archiver's. If something was really calling my name, I would have started all over myself. Of course, at only 2 cards, it wouldn't have mattered much to me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Hi All
I joined last year and I think I tracked for about 3 months. Am going to try again this year and be aiming to track the whole year.
Vicky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for setting up a 2010 challenge ScrappinCEO!

Here is the spreadsheet I use to keep track of my spending. It's very simple & you can modify it to your liking.

Fill in your own amounts in the cells that are highlighted yellow - depending on how much you want to PAY yourself. I also give myself credit when I've exercised 3 times in one week. Just fill in the number of cards/layouts or exercise minutes in the blue cells.

Let me know if you have any questions. Teresa
Attached Files
File Type: xls Stamp To Spend.xls (73.0 KB, 230 views)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey Nat!

Wowsers! I like te 100 count challenge. You better keep up so you guys can shop together. hehe Maybe set a goal to have met your challenge by the time the new catalog comes out. :-D

Reindeer Club is part of The Christmas Noteook yahoo group I belong to. We set aside the 25th of every month to work on all things Christmas. That can mean gifts, cards, trying new cookie/holiday recipes, etc. I missed participating in 2009 so am looking forward to it again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 03:50 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicKooyView Post
Hi All
I joined last year and I think I tracked for about 3 months. Am going to try again this year and be aiming to track the whole year.
Vicky
Just remember to check in. If you check in on a regular basis it's a big motivator. That's what we're here for! D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsclark2001View Post

Here is the spreadsheet I use to keep track of my spending. It's very simple & you can modify it to your liking.

Fill in your own amounts in the cells that are highlighted yellow - depending on how much you want to PAY yourself. I also give myself credit when I've exercised 3 times in one week. Just fill in the number of cards/layouts or exercise minutes in the blue cells.

Hey Teresa!

Thanks for joining us again this year and for bringing your spreadsheet along.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

just downloaded, gonna give this a try this year!!! need to use what I have
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

To answer the Question of the Week, my space is pretty organized. If you've not visited, you can see pic of my space in my gallery. Because the workspace is shared with my office, (which is now shared with my daughter), I have to be. I know what I have... I just don't get in and use it as much as I'd like. That's my target for this year... to spend MORE time doing what I enjoy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 04:59 PM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

I was pretty organized until my DD got hooked on scrapbooking. Now things are in constant state of mess. As for part two, DD has also contributed to my spending more $ because she likes to "borrow" my ribbons and embellisments!

Quote:

QUESTION OF THE WEEK!

How organized is your work space? Does the space as it is, help or hinder your progress in staying out of the RED
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2010, 02:51 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

QUESTION OF THE WEEK!

My work space is super organized, it is tiny so it has to be and I function much better when it is that way. I make a mess while I am working but I have to pick up and put away everything before I start another project. I think that being organized helps me spend less because I know what I have and where it is but I still have a huge paper stash that I need to make a dent in. Of course having 5 kids and living on cop pay probably helps curb my spending too, no money=no spending!

My workspace is in my gallery and I think there is a direct link to my blog post about my space.
BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by debilsView Post
My work space is super organized, it is tiny so it has to be and I function much better when it is that way. I make a mess while I am working but I have to pick up and put away everything before I start another project. I think that being organized helps me spend less because I know what I have and where it is but I still have a huge paper stash that I need to make a dent in. Of course having 5 kids and living on cop pay probably helps curb my spending too, no money=no spending!

My workspace is in my gallery and I think there is a direct link to my blog post about my space.
Checked out your blog, Deb. I love the way you recycled the tablecovering. It's so light and bright! You'd neve know it's a laundry room. Nice work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2010, 08:00 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

thanks for posting and sharing your spread sheet!!! i am going to use it, but i would like to add "Altered Items" and i am not excel savvy to get in the totaling columns. would you be willing to help? TIA!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

WOOHOO!!!!! NEW YEAR!! I am out of the red! I actually have money to spend! Time to go shopping! JK!!!

I wasn't the best at posting totals here but I used the spread sheet all year (modified a little to suit my needs) and I love it! I just saved a copy as 2010 and cleared out the numbers. Thanks again for the hard work putting it together!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2010, 02:08 PM   #32  
Stampin' Fool

I would love to help. I just sent you a PM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrap'n'stampView Post
thanks for posting and sharing your spread sheet!!! i am going to use it, but i would like to add "Altered Items" and i am not excel savvy to get in the totaling columns. would you be willing to help? TIA!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2010, 05:31 PM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm starting off with a clean slate this year so we'll see how long it lasts.This is a great challenge!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Good afternoon everyone!

This post involves th January 8th Challenge.

I picked up a copy of Crafts n Things yesterday and found something I thought we could all use.

There is a section called Year of Cards: Make 'em now Send 'em later Pg 44-45
With a couple of trim exceptions (which she points out), Dawn made them all from her STASH!

Check out the new issue, be inspired and get out the scraps! Post a link to your gallery so we can see what you've created.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2010, 02:44 PM   #35  
Mad Swapper

I'm in this year! And considering I just spent $300 for SAB I'd better get crafting!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by postcardgirlView Post
I'm in this year! And considering I just spent $300 for SAB I'd better get crafting!!!
You have all kinds of stuff to play with and a challeng has been posted. You'll clear it off in no time!

I am looking at place a Sale - a - brations order.. from my change jar and I'm short so won't be ordering until next month. I'm after cardstock so I can start scrapbooking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2010, 03:40 PM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

QUESTION OF THE WEEK!

I used to have a whole craft room in my 3 bedroom house - then my daughter, her hubby and 6 children had to relocate from Florida so they moved in with us temporarily. (That was 6 months ago LOL!) Her hubby still hasn't found work yet, though the job postings for his profession are picking up now and things look more hopeful.)

Right now my tiny work space is in my bedroom so it has to be super organized and I have to keep it cleaned up. This limits my ability to do much right now. But hopefully soon, I'll be back in my craft room and can post some pictures.

But I did finish 9 cards this month so far which amazed me. I think I'm motivated by all the new posts on SCS. Plus the Christmas sewing rush is over so I have more time to stamp. LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by indianabonView Post
I used to have a whole craft room in my 3 bedroom house - then my daughter, her hubby and 6 children had to relocate from Florida so they moved in with us temporarily. (That was 6 months ago LOL!) Her hubby still hasn't found work yet, though the job postings for his profession are picking up now and things look more hopeful.)

Right now my tiny work space is in my bedroom so it has to be super organized and I have to keep it cleaned up. This limits my ability to do much right now. But hopefully soon, I'll be back in my craft room and can post some pictures.

But I did finish 9 cards this month so far which amazed me. I think I'm motivated by all the new posts on SCS. Plus the Christmas sewing rush is over so I have more time to stamp. LOL!
9 cards are an awesome start!
I understand the 'guests' thing. My daughter may have 2 job interveiws in Nashville next week. We're hoping one pans out just because she needs to get back out on her own.. though I'll miss the grandbaby like crazy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2010, 12:36 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Happy Monday, all!
Did anyone grab a copy of the magazine over the weekend? If not, just think of 12 cards you could do this week - 1 for an occassion in each of the 12 months. I'm going to try and work on mine this afternoon.

For now, I've completed 2 cards for a Use It challenge in another group. I used Sculpted Style. You can see on card in my gallery (dear friends) and the other is under the SU stamps, Sculpted Style (retired Hostess set). I tried to pull a link but it isn't showing up there yet.

Both of these were a 'semi-case'. I didn't know what to do with this set so I went gallery cruisin' for ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2010, 06:07 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't think I'm off to a very good start...I cannot seem to update my spreadsheet! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes