Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cuttlebug or Big Shot--I just cannot decide

I have been looking at both for a long time.
If anyone has some thoughts, I'm willling to listen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm partial to this as I have the Big Kick/Shot but my neighbor has the Cuttlebug. Anyway, you can do all of the bigger dies with the Big Kick/Shot vs. Cuttlebug. I think that is the main difference so when you look at purchasing one or the other you need to decide, do you want to use alot of folders and nesties OR use more die cuts? If you want the flexibility of the die cuts, I'd air on the safe side and go for the Big Shot as you know you'll always be able to fit them (dies) in that machine!

I hope that helps! Good luck deciding! Whatever you choose, you'll have a blast creating with it! They are so much fun to have! Let us know what you decide, I'll be curious to know! ;)

To the world you may just be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 07:42 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the big kick, which is VERY similar to the big shot (just looks a little different), and I love it. I got it from michaels with coupon for less than $50.
I personally haven't used the cuttlebug, but just read on here in another thread that you sort of have to feed the plates in and hold the machine at the same time because it isn't very sturdy. But like I said, I just read this, I don't know if it is true or not. The big kick is very sturdy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 08:04 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 344 Likes on 132 Posts

I believe the Big Shot will cut or emboss anything which the Bug will. My friend who has a Cuttlebug, regrets it now and wishes she had the BS because it feels a lot more sturdy. I must admit I don't particularly like using the Cuttlebugs at my LSS because they feel flimsy when I'm used to the BS.

If you have the storage space and money for the BS then my advice is to go for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 08:42 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I do not have the big shot, I have the cuttlebug, I cannot say which one works better but I liked the Cuttlebug because it folds up and is easy to store or transport!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

There is pretty extensive information and opinions on this thread including the Wizard.

Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 11:57 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I have both machines. I find both of them quite sturdy. I still have to hold the handle of the big shot to use it...same as I hold the CB when I use it.

Really, it will be a hard decision for you...but I agree with Jennifer...the decision will be with what you want to use it for the most....

Both are not bad machines.....but I do love my bug the best....all very subjective....good luck with your decision!

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 02:33 AM   #8  
Glitter Queen

I love my Bug! They cut every die on the market. My friend has a Big Shot and you need to place you hand on top of that like you do the Bug. I think one advantage the Bug has is that it takes up a lot less room in my cupboard!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 03:26 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I prefer the Big Shot (or Big Kick) because you don't have to fool around trying to get the larger extended dies into it. I know you can use them with the Cuttlebug but you need to finagle with them and I can't be bothered. The Big Shot is a larger machine and does take up more room but even with a small stamping area, it hasn't been an issue for me. I've been really happy with my Big Kick (you can use coupons at the larger craft stores) and it just seems to be a sturdier machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 03:58 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I think it has to do with what you actually do with your craft. I am spoiled and have both the Cuttlebug and the Big Shot. For what I do I find myself reaching for the Cuttlebug most often and that is because its smaller and I keep it near me. If you have a space for the Big Shot where it will be accessible at all times and you can just go use it with out moving anything etc. than the Big Shot would be something to consider.

I have to admit, if I was doing heavy cutting or embossing say, cardboard, fabric, balsa wood I would definitely use the Big shot.

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 04:04 AM   #11  
Inking Addict

I really love my Big Shot. And the cuttlebug dies work great in it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 04:18 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

I think if space is an issue or if you would need to transport your machine to someone else's house or space, then the Cuttlebug would be better. Otherwise, the Big Shot/Big Kick is the clear winner! The BS/BK are so sturdy, wide enough to handle all dies out there, and inexpensive if you buy them at Michaels or AC Moore with a coupon. I love my Big Kick and my friend who bought a Cuttlebug at around the same time that I did regrets her purchase as she can't use the bigger dies in it and it's not very sturdy.

My 182.5 day Photo Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 04:24 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Hands down..... go with a Big Shot! The cuttlebug will not do the bigger dies likes Stampin' Up! has. If you get a Big Shot you can rest assured you will be able to handle pretty much any die large or small that comes along!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 06:10 AM   #14  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

Just my two cents....I've broken 3 Cuttlebugs...I've had my Big Shot since the day they became available. I've NEVER broken it...and it's fallen off a TOP SHELF, onto the handle and BENT the handle...IT STILL WORKS!!!! The Cuttlebugs broke because of the layers I had to build up to emboss the Nesties...Now, honestly, they worked on EVERYTHING, until the gears would break on the Nesties...and, I FOLLOWED the Cuttlebug instructions. I spoke to the people at CHA at Provo Craft and they said it was a common problem!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 06:19 AM   #15  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I have both but the Big Shot Express, which is the electronic one. I ranted and raved about that at first but then I broke the motor after just one month! I sent it back and they were real good about replacing it immediately because they said that there was a mass defect in the motor and I wasn't the only person it happened to. Now I find myself reaching for my Cuttlebug because I'm afraid I'll break the motor again. I don't have any experience with just the regular Big Shot and I know that doesn't answer your question too much, but if you're contemplating a Big Shot Express, that's my experience. If I ever get around to using it again and it breaks, then I'll just get a regular Big Shot.

Stampin' Up! Only Challenges Design Team
Proud Fan Club Member Since 2007
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 06:25 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

BIG SHOT! They're very sturdy, and you can cut lots of things other than paper, if you're so inclined. You can die cut large felt snowflakes, scalloped squares out of fabric, embellishments for cards and scrapbooking out of thin wood sheets...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 06:26 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

I have both and much prefer Big Shot. It is more stable, sturdier and I don't have to fiddle with cutting plates if I want to use Sizzix XL dies. I found that with my Cuttlebug the suction on the base has wore off and no matter what I do, I can't get it to stay put. JMHO.

Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 06:42 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

I have a Cuttlebug and have had it for three years no problems at all. (I make 80-100 cards for Christmas each year on top of what I do throughout the year. They tend to have at least an embossed layer and a nestie die layer or two. My machine has gotten a workout and my SIL's have gotten their money's worth!)I absolutely love it! It is so versatile not to mention easy to transport and store. With that said, if my CB were to be unrepairable I may switch to a Big Shot only because it can work with larger dies, which I wouldn't mind having. That would be the ONLY reason for me, but if you aren't planning on making the investment into the larger dies then I don't see the point of getting more than the CB.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 07:06 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

I have had a Cuttlebug for about 18 months and just bought the Big Shot. I was tired of messing around trying to get the right "sandwich" and the Big Shot can cut more materials (plastic, thin wood etc) than the Cuttlebug. I wish I would have just gotten the Big Shot in the first place.

I LOVE that the Big Shot multipurpose platform shows you the sandwich for every kind of die (thin, thick, bigz etc). That takes all the guesswork and remembering out of it.

I waited until Sale-a-bration to order my Big Shot (from myself I'm a demo) so I could get the 2 free stamp sets.

Good luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 07:15 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Red face big shot

Some where there is a list of 50 items that you can cut with a big shot. This includes food boxes, felt, foil, soda cans, material, etc. I don't think (?) a bug can cut all the things a big shot can.

Someone measured the big shot and bug when being used, there was little difference. When the bug is shut, it is smaller. It is in one the threads.

You can transport the big shot. I do it all the time. If you do go to crops, a bug may be better since it is lighter.

You can use the sizzix dies in the bug, bbuutt, if it brakes, you may not be under warenty. (sp). You can go to a home depot, etc, and have them cut longer cutting pads. In another thread.

There is a thread with the cons and pros of both machines. You need to decide what the main thing you will be doing with the machine and go from there.

I have hand problems (arthritis) and at this time, would not trade my big shot (unless I could get a pink one and maybe not than.) If you have carpel tunner or arthritis or other hand problems, try the big shot for a day and than the bug. I bet you will go with the big shot.

Find the pro and con threads and than decide.

Betty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 07:16 AM   #21  
Inking Addict

I have both.....think of, say when buying a tent....you dream of a bigger and better one in the future.....once you get to using the cuttlebug, and loving it....you will see the bigger die cuts that won't fit in it.....and wish you would have made the larger investment in the first place.....I do like them both and can't say one is better ....just one is bigger.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #22  
Crimping Master

I LOVE my cuttlebug! - I have had it for almost 3 years and it has seen a lot of action! I bought it before the big shot got so popular again - I don't regret the purchase what so ever - I have used a big shot and like that as well - so if and when my bug decides it doesn't want to live here anymore or breaks than I would definitely consider up grading to the big shot! So it is a matter of what you want - try both out and see which you prefer to use - it will make your decision easier and which you prefer to spend your $$$$.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

I also loved my cuttlebug, but was given an opportunity to sell it. Since I am an SU demo I did and used that to purchase the Big Shot. I have to admit I love it. The first thing I noticed was how much more crisp my folders embossed and it is built stronger. If money is an issue, the cuttlebug works great, but if you can afford it, I would recommend going for the Big Shot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 04:00 PM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I've only ever owned a CB so can't really compare it to any other die-cutting machines. I have a VERY small crafting area so the size and easy portability are great for me. I am not understanding comments that larger dies won't work, because I've used all sizes with mine and have never had trouble with it breaking after using it several years. I will say that the long SU die plates (not the dies themselves) are about 1/4 inch too wide, but my demos' husband sawed them down for me and they work great. Also, there's a big cost difference when you use a 50% coupon at Michael's. I'm a satisfied Cuttlebug owner!

Wanda Cullen ~ Dirty Dozen Alumni, On design team for Papertrey Ink, Designer for Color Throwdown and Fusion Card Challenges Cullen-ary Creations[/URL]...my blog HERE'S MY GALLERY[/URL]

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 08:14 PM   #25  
Mad Swapper

I have had my Cuttlebug a couple of years, and I just love it. It cuts all the same materials that the BS cuts, and it takes all of the other dies and folders from all of the companies. I admit.. to use the Bigz dies, you do have to finagle the cutting with the regular plates, or have someone whittle down an extra long plate about 1/8".

I do have to admit that it is a little tough feeding thick sandwiches through.. like the nestie sandwiches.. as none of the smooth surfaces in my house seem smooth enough to keep the Cuttlebug's suction cup stuck. It's hard to feed and crank at the same time. I do love how small it is though, and how easy it is to transport.

I just ran across a deal I couldn't refuse.. I found the Big Shot (black and pink one) at Amazon for $69 no shipping. My friend just bought a Big Shot from Joann's online for $59 and a free shipping code.. so really, it's in the ball park of a full priced Cuttlebug. you just have to keep your eyes out for the deals. When it goes off sale at Joann's you can use the 40 or 50% coupons to bring it back down to that price. Free shipping codes are easy to Google.

You will be satisfied with whichever purchase you make.. they're both great machines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 06:09 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

I read and researched and watched videos for a long time before I purchased. I wanted something to do embossing and to use Nestabilities.

I ended up buying the Big Shot (from Ritz Camera) and I am very happy with it. I don't have to try to suction it down, it rolls very easily and the machine is extremely sturdy. I have taken it to crops. Yes, it takes up more space and is heavier than a Cuttlebug, but it's not that big of a deal for me.

After using mine, a friend also got a Big Shot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 06:23 AM   #27  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile

I have the cb, and I have not found anything I can't do with it. I have many of the SU dies, and they work great. If it were to ever break, I might, just might get a big shot, only because I am a SU demo, and need some orders to make my minimum sales quota.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 06:29 AM   #28  
Kookie Creator

I say the Big Shot, people tell you the Cuttlebug will do all the Shot will but that isn't true! Joann's did have the Big Shot on sale online for $59.99. I sold my Cuttlebug because the Bog Shot does it ALL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have both but if I had to choose just one at this point it would be the BS because it can do easily all the larger dies as well as all the embossing folders. So when my sweet little bug ( I have had it for over 2 years and it is still going strong) dies, I will not replace it but start using the BS more...good luck.
blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 11:24 AM   #30  
Mad Swapper

Yeah, have the BS now, but will still keep my bug for quick jobs.. embossing folders, or taking it with me to swaps/crops since it's so much smaller.

And yes.. the bug can do everything a BS can do, but if you want to use the Bigz dies, you will need to figure out how to run it through on your small cutting plates, or find someone who can grind down a Sizzix extended plate about 1/8" on the width. Unless there's something new that Sizzix has that I don't know about, I'm not sure what would work in the BS but not in the CB.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

i love my cuttlebug, never a prob with it at all.

you can use the bigz and bigxl dies in it. you just use only "B" plates.
for the BigzXL, use 2 "B" plates on bottom and 2 on top end to end so that they cover the length. and will work no probs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

now, have you seen the Big shot Pro? thats the new one and it has a 13" opening for dies!!! and they already have a ton of dies out for it, but the machine and dies are expensive!

if i had the space and did not alreayd have the bug, i would get the Pro.............
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 02:06 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

I have had the Cuttlebug for about 3 yrs now, and I love it!! I wouldn't trade my Bug for anything!! It's small, and store easily, and does everything I need it to do!! I only make cards, so i don't need big jobs with it. It's great!!
Reply With Quote Likes