View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 03:38 PM   #231
lynnewithane
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
Not necessarily myself - but sometimes its beneficial to walk a mile in someone else's shoes and try to see what they see without being judgemental.

When I think SU I think of a successful company with a pyramid scheme structure but based on a good, solid product. However, I also see the push, push, push about catalogs, new products, in-colors etc that doesn't seem to go with any other product on these boards except for member companies. I also see the "exclusivity" push which just personally grates me; I understand it on an advertising level but I just don't feel the need to make any one think they are any less of a crafter if they use different product. I think this focus of their business has backfired... I have seen other companies have exclusives for different shops representing them and I didn't feel as excluded as the SU seems to push. Maybe it is the difference between home direct sales and shop sales but I don't think that area is really working for SU when it turns people off their product.

I do however agree that you can't please everyone. I just think this could be handled better. And that SU could play nicely with all the other manufacturers in the playground.
I can tell that you have carefully thought this out, but there are some parts that I don't understand.
Can you explain the red part above?
I understand that you are saying that SU doesn't try to get along with other companies, but I don't think that that is their mission. Maybe you are referring to demonstrators not playing well with others. To that, I feel like it is individual peronalities coming out, not necesarily the comments of the company. In fact, demonstrtors are independent demonstrators. While I don't see SU making any contracts with other stamp companies, they do have contracts of some sort with Fiskars, Sizzix, and EK Success, so it's not like they are ignoring the rest of the industry.
I also think that it is our era of litigation that has prompted some of the recent controversy. I think that SU is trying to avoid conflicts of interest, and litigation. In doing so, perhaps some have taken an elitist attitude. I haven't seen this, but I haven't been on SCS too much lately.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!