Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 12-22-2009, 08:00 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What happened to Stampin'up

:( Soo sad.... what is going on with Stampin'up they are goin down hill the last year. I feel like they are turning into a corporate GREEDY company I really think shelli is tuning it up to get ready to SELL SELL SELL!!!! what do you guys think?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Polyshrink Goddess

Cool

Your very first post on SCS and this is it! Kind of fishy don't you think?

I met Stacy Julian at Silverwood theme park on 8/7/08. She is AWESOME!!
neglecting the kids and housework

My thoughts exactly. ;-)
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, are you a disgruntled employee? Just wondering. I see you signed up for Splitcoaststampers today and your first post a bash of Shelli?

From what I have read lately, I am liking the direction that SU is going. The unmounted option might just bring me back to their stamps. I have always loved their paper and always will.

So, to answer your question, I do not think Shelli is greedy. I think she's a pretty savvy business woman who has listened to her customers.

Hope you have a better day Merry Christmas!!
Stampin' Fool

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Gee ... if you don't sell - you don't have a business ... right??
Cardstock Collector

Sorry to come off bad but I just wanted to see if everyone else is getting the same feeling from them as me.... I think shelli is a great business lady and a wonderful person, im just worried that the company is moving in the wrong direction...and I know of alot of things that have happened behind closed doors that make me feel this way even more.

P.S. I am not nor have I ever been a employee of Stampin'up I just know people who deal with them directly..... ALOT
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beverly0917View Post
Your very first post on SCS and this is it! Kind of fishy don't you think?

Fishy?... NO this is why i signed up..... its not like I bashed Shelli directly I'm just stating what I see happening
Embossing Fanatic

I don't know what led you to post this thread, but I agree that some of the way that the company has been doing some things lately have not been my cup of tea. However, I do not agree that it in any way reflects on ONE person. It is not Shelli Gardner's fault that the company has decided to conduct the business the way that they have lately. She started the company and it has moved on and changed the same way we all grow and change. Stampin Up has moved along with the times and while I am no longer a demonstrator, I still purchase their product and I will never be rude or bash an individual person because they have decided to change some things. I am sorry for whatever gave you such negative feelings and I hope you have a Merry Christmas anyway.
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by HulkabigtoeView Post
I don't know what led you to post this thread, but I agree that some of the way that the company has been doing some things lately have not been my cup of tea. However, I do not agree that it in any way reflects on ONE person. It is not Shelli Gardner's fault that the company has decided to conduct the business the way that they have lately. She started the company and it has moved on and changed the same way we all grow and change. Stampin Up has moved along with the times and while I am no longer a demonstrator, I still purchase their product and I will never be rude or bash an individual person because they have decided to change some things. I am sorry for whatever gave you such negative feelings and I hope you have a Merry Christmas anyway.
I dont think that it is Shellis fault that the company is getting all screwed up and goin down hill (imo) Once again Shelli is an awesome woman.... It just breaks my heart that they dont care as much about the demonstrators and the employees as they used to...... Thanks for the christmas wishes
Stazon Splitcoast

Not the best first impression, MrTellsAll -- an intro post like that combined with your username sets off my "troll alert" and I'm probably not the only one. If it wasn't your intention to come here and "stir the pot" then I apologize, but you should probably be aware that this could turn off a whole lot of people and on a website community this large it only takes the smallest of sparks to potentially start a proverbial wildfire.

As far as "not caring as much" about us the demos, after four-plus years representing the company I can't think of anything farther from the truth. Curious who these people are whom you know...

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

from a customer point of view it is hard to respond to a generalized statement that a company is "greedy" -- the purpose of a company is to make money, so I should hope that its owners are greedy. Without the desire to make money, our entire economy and every stamp company I know would collapse.

More specifically, here is what I see --

1. SU made a hugely smart decision to offer the option of unmounted stamps, with the image on the back and outstanding storage. I know of no other company that offers all 3 -- unmounted on ez foam + the image on the back + storage with the index on the binder and a full image inside. And the prices are reasonable. I suspect that this will boost sales quite a bit.

2. SU made the decision to broaden its product offerings by offering its digital program. I'm not very savvy on digital programs -- this one looks very similar to Kodak's program that I have. I have no idea how profitable this will be, but I suspect that it will be.

3. SU tightened its rules on demos and I've seen some demos quit, but I've seen other demos fly high with the new rules. Several are selling kits and doing really well. they may have fewer demos than before, but the ones they have, I suspect, are really loyal and enthusiastic.

4. SU is offering a lot of sales. there was a time when this was considered "devaluing" the product. Now it is common sense in a time of recession and rapidly increasing competition. It probably is a reflection of reduced sales.

5. Layoffs -- again a reflection of reduced sales. SU didn't hide this fact. it is a jungle out there.

I haven't purchased a lot from SU lately, but am hoping to love the images that are coming in the new format and purchase some of them. It is a company. It has made some decisions that I do not like, but so do other companies, KWIM??
Cardstock Collector

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
Not the best first impression, MrTellsAll -- an intro post like that combined with your username sets off my "troll alert" and I'm probably not the only one. If it wasn't your intention to come here and "stir the pot" then I apologize, but you should probably be aware that this could turn off a whole lot of people and on a website community this large it only takes the smallest of sparks to potentially start a proverbial wildfire.

As far as "not caring as much" about us the demos, after four-plus years representing the company I can't think of anything farther from the truth. Curious who these people are whom you know...
Ok fair enough maybee I was trying to stir the pot a little.... I would just like to say sorry... I though I needed to vent but I now realize this is not going to help me feel better I will leave never to return lol Merry Christmas everyone, stamp away....
Stazon Splitcoast

Fishy? ... YES. You have come to a site that was started by a SU demo, is frequented by hundreds of SU demos (retired & active) and you start out by saying that SU is going down hill.

I think your information is skewed. I don't see how a company who listens to their customers and acts on their requests is going down hill. They may not act within a 30 day timeframe, but they do the research and act appropriately. SU is moving forward and like the previous poster said, if the company doesn't move forward with the times and SELL - it will soon be a company that is out of business.

You want to discuss companies going downhill, then you need to find a GM website and go there to discuss companies going downhill. Or ... maybe some of the major banks.

The above statements are my opinion and in no way are endorsed by the SU company.

Work in progress - 27lbs gone.
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrTellsAllView Post
Ok fair enough maybee I was trying to stir the pot a little.... I would just like to say sorry... I though I needed to vent but I now realize this is not going to help me feel better I will leave never to return lol Merry Christmas everyone, stamp away....
so ... when people respond to your vent, not in a supportive way, you leave never to return.

that smacks troll in my experience (IMO).

Work in progress - 27lbs gone.

Seems as if with your username and your dropping of hints about all your inside knowledge you expected a huge turn out to hear you "tell all" Sorry. I'm sorry you feel that SU isn't on the right track in your opinion. It's a business. One in which I partake both as an employee and customer. I don't expect them to never change nor have MY best interests in mind when decisions are made.
Glitter Guru

How funny...I have had those same thoughts. I really am not enjoying the stamp camps once a month like I use to. It seems like, no... it is like we cannot even mention another product or my demo gets a little quiet and doesn't join in the conversation...then the talk is 'directed' (for lack of any other nice term) back to what we are going to buy. Whatever you mention buying then the demo has another suggestion for you to buy more. I feel very pressured lately.

It is just has lost the fun factor.

Are you at a demo's stamp came? An SU event? Why would you expect differently? If you were in a store and were speaking to the sales person and mentioned you liked something somewhere else she would do her best to direct you to something at her store for you to BUY. It's a business, not a sorority.
Mad Swapper

I don't see where SU has 'gone downhill' or 'gotten greedy'. If I had more money I would definitly order from SU, there's over $400 worth of stuff I fall in love with in every catalog I've seen. Quite unfortunatly, I do not have that kind of money. (I get super excited when I can get an SU set online, secondhand, for a good price).
Just because I personally can't afford something doesn't make the company greedy. I can't afford a Lexus either but that doesn't mean they aren't great cars, KWIM?
I went to a CropAthon where an SU demo did a mini-lesson. It was lots of fun, and she did miniclasses all day, for a total of over 50 students. She never pressured anyone to buy anything, she even photocopied the directions so we could play at home.
So all my experiences with SU have been good. Whereas, I never have a favorable trip to Michael's...
Crimping Master

Wow MrTellsAll, you ought to look up that other guy on here who has a beef with SU, you two would make quite a good pair LOL

Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamperView Post
Are you at a demo's stamp came? An SU event? Why would you expect differently? If you were in a store and were speaking to the sales person and mentioned you liked something somewhere else she would do her best to direct you to something at her store for you to BUY. It's a business, not a sorority.
I guess I need a demo who is not a friend then. We use to just gather and have a really good time and I actually spent more last year. She even stopped the food (we each did a month and had a small meal) so we have more time to do the card and then order. Last year on my month I had over $500 in sales and this year with more people it was only $225. None of us are liking the new "no conflict" clause.

I am more aware of the business aspect than you might know...I run one with my husband. There are ways to get your sales done without being imposing. Maybe Su should try some training in that.
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by laura6View Post
I don't see where SU has 'gone downhill' or 'gotten greedy'. If I had more money I would definitly order from SU, there's over $400 worth of stuff I fall in love with in every catalog I've seen. Quite unfortunatly, I do not have that kind of money. (I get super excited when I can get an SU set online, secondhand, for a good price).
Just because I personally can't afford something doesn't make the company greedy. I can't afford a Lexus either but that doesn't mean they aren't great cars, KWIM?
I went to a CropAthon where an SU demo did a mini-lesson. It was lots of fun, and she did miniclasses all day, for a total of over 50 students. She never pressured anyone to buy anything, she even photocopied the directions so we could play at home.
So all my experiences with SU have been good. Whereas, I never have a favorable trip to Michael's...

See? That is what I miss from my demo! Now she actually hides anything that is not SU...and they do not make everything! I brought a device that SU does not offer and was told to put it away. That was weird because this same demo SOLD it to me from another company she reps! She acts like the SU police are standing over her!
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53queenbeeView Post
See? That is what I miss from my demo! Now she actually hides anything that is not SU...and they do not make everything! I brought a device that SU does not offer and was told to put it away. That was weird because this same demo SOLD it to me from another company she reps! She acts like the SU police are standing over her!
thats a bummer. I would think if SU doesn't make anything similar, you would actually be encouraged to use it anyway. Say you had a wooden $1 store photoframe, added papers, ribbon, pretty flowers (all the supplies being SU)... I would think 'what a good idea' and order a few things to make my own. If I were a demo, I would think it might boost sales.
I see all these awesome projects on SCS, decorated bath salts, altered candles, tile coasters... that no one company could possibly stock all of. So it would be impossible to have true 'one stop shopping' through SU.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53queenbeeView Post
I guess I need a demo who is not a friend then. We use to just gather and have a really good time and I actually spent more last year. She even stopped the food (we each did a month and had a small meal) so we have more time to do the card and then order. Last year on my month I had over $500 in sales and this year with more people it was only $225. None of us are liking the new "no conflict" clause.

I am more aware of the business aspect than you might know...I run one with my husband. There are ways to get your sales done without being imposing. Maybe Su should try some training in that.
Let me come at this from my personal SU demo experience. I've been one for almost five years. I've had workshops and sales thrown at me and I've had people tightening their belts so much that they aren't able to send holiday cards this year because postage would rip into their budget too much.

As for food at an event? It's pricey, time consuming to prepare and eat at the event. Time which could be used to prepare and finish more projects. So look at it from the other side. She may not have stopped food so you would order more she stopped food because orders are down and it's cutting into profit.

If her sales style isn't clicking with you maybe you do need a new demo and keep her as a stamping friend. But as a demo my job is to sell my product to people who are at my events. If someone mentions they can get the CB to do so much that the BS can I'll agree but point out all the things that it CANNOT do that the BS can. I'll point out the SU exclusive items. It's a bit of a hard sell, I'll turn people away from talking about another company because I'm trying to sell and if they can't appreciate it and it becomes unpleasant for them I hope they mention something. I have lots of customers that are friends, lots that are not. I don't change my approach based on that.

I also must say that I don't look into any of SU training so really can't speak to that. WHat I did look into when I started didn't mesh with my style and extensive background in marketing and retail management. We all do what works for us. I think your friend is just having some growing pains with the new policy.

Quote:

thats a bummer. I would think if SU doesn't make anything similar, you would actually be encouraged to use it anyway. Say you had a wooden $1 store photoframe, added papers, ribbon, pretty flowers (all the supplies being SU)... I would think 'what a good idea' and order a few things to make my own. If I were a demo, I would think it might boost sales.
I see all these awesome projects on SCS, decorated bath salts, altered candles, tile coasters... that no one company could possibly stock all of. So it would be impossible to have true 'one stop shopping' through SU.
It's not about one stop shopping it's about demos not talking up products that SU also carries in same or variation. I wouldn't talk up my LSS that carries a Fiskars cutter that my customers can buy using a 50% off coupon, they know that. What I will chat up is the fact that when they buy it from me they can always come to me for advice, ideas, and help.

I've had customers bring items to events and I simply ask that they not use it while I'm doing my spiel. Yep I say that. They are at my business function. "I know EK success has some cool punches out there that SU doesn't carry. But I'd appreciate it if right now we can focus on what SU has to offer. That's why you all came today right?"
Mad Swapper

Quote:

It's not about one stop shopping it's about demos not talking up products that SU also carries in same or variation. I wouldn't talk up my LSS that carries a Fiskars cutter that my customers can buy using a 50% off coupon, they know that. What I will chat up is the fact that when they buy it from me they can always come to me for advice, ideas, and help.

I've had customers bring items to events and I simply ask that they not use it while I'm doing my spiel. Yep I say that. They are at my business function. "I know EK success has some cool punches out there that SU doesn't carry. But I'd appreciate it if right now we can focus on what SU has to offer. That's why you all came today right?"
LOL obviously, SU carries punches, so no, I wouldn't have the guts (or any other body part :twisted: ) to use a non-SU punch at an SU demo.
But at the same ppoint, if I had a jar of sea salt, a bottle of essential oil, and everything else was SU (cello bag, papers, adhesive etc),

Quote:

LOL obviously, SU carries punches, so no, I wouldn't have the guts (or any other body part :twisted: ) to use a non-SU punch at an SU demo.
But at the same ppoint, if I had a jar of sea salt, a bottle of essential oil, and everything else was SU (cello bag, papers, adhesive etc),
Yeah that's all kosher. And there are lots of events based solely on altering products. So feel free to chat about altering a frame you bought at the dollar store the next time you're at an event. Think twice about talking up the cool whatever you bought from CTMH ;-)
Mad Swapper

Quote:

But at the same ppoint, if I had a jar of sea salt, a bottle of essential oil, and everything else was SU (cello bag, papers, adhesive etc), so I could make gifts.... I would kinda be like 'wth?' if I were told to put away the salt. Instead, the demo could ask if I would share the recipe, she could show great stamp sets to make them for different occassions, she could show ink resists using salt.... Turn the whole thing positive.
I mean, I can go to King Kullen for salt LOL but my SU demo could show me a dozen ways to use salt and SUs products. Her information is what is priceless. And I just use that as an example, I would love to have a class making tile coasters. I would think a project like coasters would upsell StazOn inks and stamp cleaner, since both are essential to make them.
I do understand, though, that in a way, that sends customers to the suppermarket for salt or Home Depot for coasters. So in a way, you can drive away a bit of business like that.... its a double edged sword
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Let me come at this from my personal SU demo experience. I've been one for almost five years. I've had workshops and sales thrown at me and I've had people tightening their belts so much that they aren't able to send holiday cards this year because postage would rip into their budget too much.

As for food at an event? It's pricey, time consuming to prepare and eat at the event. Time which could be used to prepare and finish more projects. So look at it from the other side. She may not have stopped food so you would order more she stopped food because orders are down and it's cutting into profit.

If her sales style isn't clicking with you maybe you do need a new demo and keep her as a stamping friend. But as a demo my job is to sell my product to people who are at my events. If someone mentions they can get the CB to do so much that the BS can I'll agree but point out all the things that it CANNOT do that the BS can. I'll point out the SU exclusive items. It's a bit of a hard sell, I'll turn people away from talking about another company because I'm trying to sell and if they can't appreciate it and it becomes unpleasant for them I hope they mention something. I have lots of customers that are friends, lots that are not. I don't change my approach based on that.

I also must say that I don't look into any of SU training so really can't speak to that. WHat I did look into when I started didn't mesh with my style and extensive background in marketing and retail management. We all do what works for us. I think your friend is just having some growing pains with the new policy.

No, WE got to bring the food if we were the hostess for the month. I love to cook and so do all the ladies in the club; in fact, 3 of us are professional cooks having owned restaurants! I am retired now and really miss serving others. Oh well, c'est la vie!

I have to stick with her since my daughter is having a wedding at the Mandalay Bay in Vegas in the fall and her colors are Old Olive, Very Vanilla and Basic Black! LOL Seriously, that is how she chose the colors--thru SU swatches! I am making all the dresses and Old Olive is a very hard fabric to find!1

SOrry Linda I misunderstood. Maybe someone said it was too much for them. Either way as you said...c'est la vie!

Have fun in Vegas. My little brother just got married at the Venetian a few weeks ago. It was a blast! And I did all the shower stuff in Very Vanilla, Basic Black and Certainly Celery LOL
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

Quote:

:( Soo sad.... what is going on with Stampin'up they are goin down hill the last year. I feel like they are turning into a corporate GREEDY company I really think shelli is tuning it up to get ready to SELL SELL SELL!!!! what do you guys think?
Where is this coming from? Sales have been down, but I don't think that means that the company is going downhill. It seems to me that SU is constantly coming up with new ideas and products. How does that make them greedy?
What makes you think that Shelli wants to sell the company? I am fairly naive when it comes to business, but I haven't seen anything to make me think that she wants to sell the company. I get the impression that it is a part of her; part of how she defines herself (after family, of course). She is a young woman, and I don't see her giving up the reins.
I, for one, love the company. I won't say that I agree with every decision they have made, but I don't agree with every decision my son has made either, and I still love him! I feel like the company was maybe a little behind the times (which isn't hard to do in today's techno world), but they have listened to what people have to say, and have reacted slowly, and after careful consideration. I think that they are doing a bang up job!
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I hope you don't really disappear SCS. This really is a great website and a great community, you just have to realize that if you say ANYTHING negative about Stampin' Up! you are bound to have people jumping all over you.

I don't know where you were coming from with your comment, but I think I understand. This industry has exploded in the past 10, but especially the past 5 years. Stampin' Up! used to have very little in the way of competition and now they have tons. I was a demonstrator for about 6 years, and a customer for 2 years before that, but I haven't been a demo for 4 years now. So I've had a relationship with the company for over 10 years in one form or another - I even interviewed for a position at corporate. I have seen a lot of changes, and I haven't been crazy about many of them. That said, Stampin' Up! is no worse than any other company in corporate American - they have a great product(s), they do well, they expand, they get competition, they battle the bad economy...

They're good people just trying to make the business work.

aworthen it's not about saying things negative about SU. I think their approach to the jewelry was horrible and embarrassing for them and me as a demo. It's about coming along and having a pretty negative "I know things you don't know" post be your first. I was a lurker for awhile and still only posted to a few happy threads about comments for months after that before I got into the more meaty things. That's what some people are having a reaction to I believe.
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

aworthen it's not about saying things negative about SU. I think their approach to the jewelry was horrible and embarrassing for them and me as a demo. It's about coming along and having a pretty negative "I know things you don't know" post be your first. I was a lurker for awhile and still only posted to a few happy threads about comments for months after that before I got into the more meaty things. That's what some people are having a reaction to I believe.
Exactly. I've participated on a number of different message boards, and no matter what the website's focus when a newbie registers and immediately starts talking trash with their very first post, it screams TROLL and the other members respond accordingly.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

not to be off topic, but what is a Troll??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29
better than I could explain LOL
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by aworthenView Post
you just have to realize that if you say ANYTHING negative about Stampin' Up! you are bound to have people jumping all over you.
Quote:

Exactly.

Anyone who joins a message board to immediately start BASHING another company is suspect.

Constructive criticism, honest questions, these are welcome and addressed. We are not pollyannas about SU!. Okay there are a few, LOL. SU! has its ups and downs, and the economy is hurting everyone. I'm sure we've all seen businesses we love go under. The three LSS's in the area that I knew of, have all closed. :(

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Insane Embellisher

Thanks for that troll reference. Now that I know it's meaning, I am going to leave this thread or string part of the forum, and read another BECAUSE we are giving "Mr. Tells All" the audience he needed today. Perhaps he was miserable today and wanted to make others miserable. He has riled (sp?) some feathers in here without giving any factual information that I have found.

Remember, misery loves company.
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I guess I'm just naive. I didn't take the comments that way.
Mad Swapper

when did SU make jewelery? i am so far behind the times in crafting....

Quote:

when did SU make jewelery? i am so far behind the times in crafting....
Just in the last mini and upcoming in this one that's starting Jan 5. It's necklaces and charms that you can alter. But they never met quality standards and are not sellable. :-(