Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-18-2009, 04:52 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inks

Hello All. I need help with ink brands. I have been using these new clear stamps that I purchased recently but you cannot use a solvent based ink with them. I love these stamps but the two inks that I have and tried (Ink it up! and Anna Griffin) smear or run when I color with the Gamsol technique or watercolor method. I am not real familiar with any other inks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and I thank you for any suggestions you can offer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2009, 05:19 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use Stazon all the time with my clear stamps - its a solvent based ink. I like it because it doesn't bleed when I'm colouring with oms. I just make sure I clean my stamp as soon as I finish with it so it doesn't stain my stamp. I've not used Ink it Up! inks but I do use a couple different Anna Griffin inks and the one's I have are pigment inks so they need to dry for quite a while before colouring or I have to emboss the image before colouring. If Ink it Up inks are pigment inks, then you may want to emboss them before colouring.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2009, 06:50 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

In order to use oderless mineral spirits you must use Stazon as it is a perminent ink and the OMS will not make it run. Now with Copic or any alchol based marker you need an ink like Momento, Adirondak or Brilliance(needs yo be heat set). If you are using markers like SU! ones you can use pretty much any ink(90% sure on this) I use SU! ink with them. If you want to watercolor with SU! type markers you need a permanent ink also, so the water does not make the ink run. So many techniques and a different ink for all. It is so confusing at times and all the terms start to sound the same. I hope this helps a bit anyway...:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2009, 06:53 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks Cat, I wanted to use the Stazon but the instructions say "do not use solvent based inks". However, I guess if I use Stazon and quickly clean the stamp after I'll be ok. I have allowed the pigment based ink to dry but they still smear or run. I appreciate your imput. I will just be very prudent to clean my clear stamps immediately after use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2009, 07:05 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks Stigmom6, my major concern was that the stamp instructions indicate not to use a solvent based ink. I am trying to find an ink I can use that will not smear or run and I can still use with these clear stamps. I should have mentioned that I don't think these are your "typical" clear stamps. They are very pliable and they have an unusual smell to them. Not malordorous but I have never smelled it before with other clear stamps. They are stamps that I have purchased from Shirleys2girls.com. I love them. Well, thank you for your most informative response. I am a sponge and I suck up all and any advice and info offer. Appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2009, 04:44 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

These sound like some of my Clear stamps. I still use Stazon with them but I do clean them afterward. I have done this for years and there has not been any damage to my stamps. They just stain but I actually like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2009, 05:26 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I either emboss with clear embossing powder or use Memories black ink. If I don't have time to let it dry thoroughly I hit it with the heat gun to set it. I've had good luck using the gamsol technique this way.

Makaren
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2009, 09:10 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

One other thing you can try if your ink still smears after drying and don't want to emboss is to use a spray fixative. If I'm in a hurry, I'll stamp my image let the ink (stazon) dry a couple minutes, and then spray it with a light coat of the fixative. Then I'm ready to go and no smearing or running.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2009, 04:54 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks all for the info. Cat, I know what "fixative" means, but I don't know anything else. Is there a certain kind for paper? Where can you purchase it? Is there a brand that is better than another? I just need a little bit of info to get started. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2009, 05:01 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks, Mel. I've been encouraged. I'm going to use the Stazon tonight. Then I'm going to dash to the kitchen sink and scrub like a madwoman. I really love these new stamps and I don't want them to melt in the palm of my hand right before my very eyes! LOL. Again, thanks to ALL. Your quick kind advice has been appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2009, 05:40 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Ok, kind ladies...I did it!!! I used Stazon ink on my new clear stamps and two things happen. One, I didn't hyperventilate and two, the stamp did not melt in my hand!! Yea!! And Mel, you're right... the staining isn't a bad thing. I believe the next time I use the stamp it will give me a better picture of where I am positioning it. So a big thanks to all. Happy stamping!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2009, 07:09 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jodi r.View Post
Thanks all for the info. Cat, I know what "fixative" means, but I don't know anything else. Is there a certain kind for paper? Where can you purchase it? Is there a brand that is better than another? I just need a little bit of info to get started. Thanks.
I bought my fixative at Michaels (with a coupon), but I've seen it in the art supply section at Walmart too. If you go to an art supply store they will amost certainly have a spray fixative. There are a lot of different brands and I don't really know which one is the "best". The one I have is PrismaColor. Mine is a gloss final fixative, but you could also use a workable fixative. Hope that helps...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2009, 08:54 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks Cat, I'll check it out. Appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Likes