Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-16-2009, 12:05 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Do I need a Big Shot???

Just trying to make an economical decision -- probably the first one ever
Do I need the Big Shot, is there an advantage of buying it thru SU??

Was contemplating the Expressions Bundle early next year -- not sure where I want to spend the money

Big Shot & purchase dies?? OR
Expressions bundle??

Help please. Just wish Santa would bring both
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2009, 12:45 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

In a word YES, of course you need a Big Shot. Let me be the first to admit that I originally had no desire for a Big Shot or any other die cut machine. In my mind they were for scrapbookers and I only do a little bit of scrapbooking. Then SU introducted the Big Shot and as a demonstrator I felt I needed one to demonstrate. Well, I LOVE my Big Shot. I use it for so much, but especially the little containers-boxes, bags, etc.

As for purchasing from SU, with Sale-A-Bration just around the corner, if you purchase your Big Shot and just one or two dies, then you will find yourself with lots of additional freebies that you qualify to receive. I suggest that you get in contact with your SU demonstror and get the details.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2009, 02:24 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

This is just my opinion, but I have a Cuttlebug, and that is more than enough for me!! I believe they are less expensive than the BigShot (you can also use coupons on them at JoAnns/Michaels). All the Sizzix/BigShot dies I have ever used fit through the CB with no problem. I don't know - maybe if I had a BigShot my opinion would be different, but my CB is perfect for anything I need right now!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2009, 02:29 PM   #4  
Inking Addict

I vote for the Big Shot. I have a Wizard and a Big Shot and I now tend to reach for the Big Shot more. Also if you buy any of the Bigz extended dies that make the bags and boxes you will have problems with th Cuttlebug. You either have jury rig plates or buy the Sizzix ones and shave them down. I agree with a previous poster wait until Sale-a-bration
to but the Big Shot.
Jo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2009, 02:53 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

IMO you're talking about 2 different animals with the Expression vs. the BigShot. I'm a HUGE manual die-cut machine supporter so of course I'm going to recommend the BigShot. I have a Rev and CB and don't really need a BS right now, but if and when one of them dies--I'd replace it with a BS.

Electronic die-cutters are the least expensive route to go overall. BUT--they can't emboss, you have to fuss with sticky mats(UGH), and the end product is not as 'finished' looking as a manual cut die-cut.

If you decide to go the electronic cutter route--I'd say go straight for the Silhouette SD. No carts to buy, CUTE downloadable shapes that are fairly inexpensive and cuts TTFs.

You will end up investing a TON of $$$$ in the Expression. ( unless you just buy SCAL and no carts but then why not just buy a Silhouette SD??)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2009, 04:17 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Big Shot all the way. If you buy the SU Big Shot and a few dies you will qualify for Hostess Benefits and wait till Sale A Bration and you have hit the jackpot!!! My favorite die is the Top Note and I love, love, love the Embossing Folders. I love my Big Shot I think it is so much more substantial than the Cuttlebug I had. I always had trouble with the Bug moving all over the table while I was trying to crank. Not the Big Shot it stays put when I crank.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2009, 05:43 PM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapcat71View Post
you're talking about 2 different animals with the Expression vs. the BigShot
Totally agree. I have both a Big Shot and a Cricut (not the Expression, but it does the same thing on a smaller scale!) The Big Shot is great for die cutting a variety of materials of all thicknesses that you couldn't cut (or would be cumbersome to use the multi-cut option) with the Cricut. Plus it doesn't require electricity so I can use it anywhere I find a spare bit of clear horizontal space :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

You can also get a Big Kick at Joann's or Michael's and use the 40% off coupons. Then get the SU Top Note as one of your first dies. I use mine all the time on cards. I also have the SU butterfly die as I tend to put flowers, trees, and things like that on my cards. Then I would invest in some embossing folders or texture plates.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2009, 07:16 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I would go for the Big Shot so you could use the larger dies. If you buy the Cuttlebug you'll always wish you had bought the Big Shot instead (ask me how I know). They are not much more expensive than the Cuttlebug, and you'll have more options which is what we all want, right?!!! Go for the big one!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2009, 09:33 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

The main thing that keeps me from buying a Cricut or any other electronic die-cutting machine is that more moving parts equals more things to BREAK or go wrong! ;) I've already seen posts from Big Shot Express buyers wondering what to do because some critical part crapped out and now their machine doesn't work -- it hasn't even been on the market that long. Manual all the way for me!

As far as the apples-to-apples comparison between it and other manual machines like the Cuttlebug, I find the Big Shot easier to crank because I don't have to hold it down or suction it to the table to keep it from moving. I also have little tolerance for MacGyvering things when I craft, so having to take twice as much time to run an XL die through in two steps because I'm using standard and not extended cutting plates, or butting plates end-to-end and worrying about slippage or creases at the seam, or finding and paying someone who can custom-cut acrylic sheets for me is not something I want to deal with. ;)

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2009, 09:43 AM   #11  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 598 Likes on 419 Posts

I have the Cricut original (I am getting an expression for Christmas) and the Big Shot and use both. I love the big shot and would buy it again in a minute.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2009, 03:14 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Get the Big Shot for sure and if you buy it now, you can get it fot $79 at Archiver's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2009, 03:28 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would also recommend the Big Shot. I have one & love it & use it all the time.

Check Ritz camera.com also. I got mine there for $66 w/free shipping on $100. Plus no sales tax.

Good luck on your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2009, 03:35 PM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

I have the Cuttlebug, Big Kick/Big Shot, and Cricut Expression. I must say I love the Big Shot best. The Cuttlebug can not use all the different die cuts, etc and really is just for use with Cuttlebug products. The Big Shot can do it all! I often have made purchases through Sizzix.com and gotten lots of die cuts that are reduced...some big reductions like 80%. You don't have to worry about the electric going out...someone breaking anything, or spilling something on it. That big shot is tough and great for school kids etc. There are many tutorials on the web using the big shot or big kick...they are really the same machine. Good luck and spend your money wisely!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a CB and I like it. But, if I didn't aleady have it when SU! came out with the Big Shot, I would have bought a BS. The onlhy thing I've found that I cannot use with it is the XL sizzix dies - that's because the larger plates are too wide. I haven't yet gotten around to getting a couple of plates cut to fit my 'bug.

I say spend the extra and get a BS thru your friendly SU! demo rather than using a coupon at Archivers or other store. You will be "buying" your demo's expertise with the machine and if it breaks, she will be able to help you with getting a new one (if it's still under warranty). If you buy one from a store, are they going to answer your questions or show you how do use it properly? Probably not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2009, 04:09 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Default Big Shot is indestructible

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
The main thing that keeps me from buying a Cricut or any other electronic die-cutting machine is that more moving parts equals more things to BREAK or go wrong! ;) I've already seen posts from Big Shot Express buyers wondering what to do because some critical part crapped out and now their machine doesn't work -- it hasn't even been on the market that long. Manual all the way for me!

As far as the apples-to-apples comparison between it and other manual machines like the Cuttlebug, I find the Big Shot easier to crank because I don't have to hold it down or suction it to the table to keep it from moving. I also have little tolerance for MacGyvering things when I craft, so having to take twice as much time to run an XL die through in two steps because I'm using standard and not extended cutting plates, or butting plates end-to-end and worrying about slippage or creases at the seam, or finding and paying someone who can custom-cut acrylic sheets for me is not something I want to deal with. ;)
Yes, I love my Big Shot because even I cannot break it. Not that I have tried but I have broken many objects. This one takes a real beating and I am the one to give it.

Big Shot all the way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought an expression and I love it. You can buy one cartridge on sale for $45 and have upper and lower case letters, numbers and a multitude of shapes. Then you get to pick whatever size you like. With my big shot, I spent $80 on a die set with just uppercase letters one size only.

But if you really want a big shot/cuttlebug, I would look into the Epic 6. I have seen it at Archivers. I looks like it will do the same job as the Big Shot, but it is much smaller and easier to move.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2009, 10:08 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by scatterjoyView Post
I have the Cuttlebug, Big Kick/Big Shot, and Cricut Expression. I must say I love the Big Shot best. The Cuttlebug can not use all the different die cuts, etc and really is just for use with Cuttlebug products.
I have yet to hear of a non-ProvoCraft die that can't be used in the CB -- you just have to do a bit of finagling to make it work. I'm just not a fan of dealing with workarounds all the time and find it too much of a pain in the rear so I'm glad I waited to get into die-cutting till SU! offered the Big Shot! ;)

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2009, 01:18 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

Love my BS, too.

As for buying it thru SU! or elsewhere -- many demos offer free classes with a Big Shot purchase. Some also offer clubs to spread the payments over a few months and SAB is a great time to do that.

Ask your demo about these options.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2009, 02:53 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 114 Likes on 49 Posts

I LOVE my bigshot! If you like freebies, wait for SAB with SU. I got mine at Ritz a while back. Glad I didn't wait because I'm having fun, but DUH, that would be a lot of free stuff if I'd waited.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2009, 03:46 AM   #21  
Glitter Queen

Smile

Thanks so much for all your feed back. I'm glad I asked ......
Happy New Year to me ...... guess I'll be getting a BS. Now I have to learn all the lingo
Thanks so much
Happy Holidays Everyone !!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2009, 06:59 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

I have the BUG....but I may get a Big Shot thru the SAB, since I would get so much free stuff!! How exciting is that???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2009, 08:54 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by smcdonoughView Post
But if you really want a big shot/cuttlebug, I would look into the Epic 6. I have seen it at Archivers. I looks like it will do the same job as the Big Shot, but it is much smaller and easier to move.
I just purchased the BigShot -- I was about to impulsively purchase the Epic 6 because I'd heard a few good things about; then I decided to do my "homework" and research the product, comparing it with the BS. So glad I did! There are even a few threads here on SCS discussing the many flaws and defects of this machine. It's fairly new on the market, and they're still ironing out the "kinks". So I went ahead and got the BS which has been around a longer time and has stood the tests of time. When doing my "research", I found hardly any complaints about the BS other than it wasn't as portable as other machines. Not saying Epic6 isn't a great machine, just make sure you check out the reviews!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2009, 09:23 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

I too am a Big Shot user and I love it! I use it all the time and have had no problems with it. Go for it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2009, 11:31 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have all three and use the Big Shot the most. I like the Cuttlebug but it has some limita tions. I use the Cuttle bug when teaching because of its portability. But if you have a choice go plain old Big Shot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2009, 12:04 PM   #26  
Mad Swapper

I also would have gotten a BS if I didn't already have my Cuttlebug. My Cuttlebug can cut all the Sizzix dies, even the XL (grinded down a plate a tiny bit), but I don't really have a surface it will stick to well, so it can be hard to feed things through it sometimes.

I would use your 30-50% off coupons and get a BS at your local LSS. I have an Archiver's nearby and can use a coupon on it (and it's pink/black!!!)-- I may do that after the holidays. And yes, they will show you how to use it if you would like. They're good about having tools our there that you can try before you buy-- and they're great at giving demonstrations. I can't say that about Michael's or HL or JoAnn's although I don't have experience with any of them that way. I have to watch my pennies, so I have to get what's the most affordable, as much as I'd like to further pad my demo's wallet. (Besides, I love the pink/black one!) And with the coupon, it will cost as much as a CB.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2009, 02:50 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Big Shot. I prefer to not go the 'pakage route. I find when reading what items are included in the packge that there are things I know I won't use. I prefer to get the item (Big Shot) and then shop for embossing folders/dies individually. It may cost a little more but then I don't have to store items I won't use.

Know whatever way you go, you will enjoy using the Big Shot.

P.S. I like the pink/black Big Shot but if I had the SU all black, I would 'bling' it up. Did that with my Cricut using vinyl stickers. Sorry, I always do this and my daughter just rolls her eyes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2009, 02:00 AM   #28  
Kookie Creator

What a great thread....I have the cuttlebug and love it but am thinking of investing in the SU Big Shot because I'm having a SU party during Sale-a-brations so I'm thinking of all the goodies I'd be receiving along with the BS purchase. I don't know though because I also think.....I could buy 100.00 worth of other SU things then get the SAB extras with that purchase also. Oh my decisions decisions. I really love my cuttlebug so I know I'd love a BS as well then I could use the XL dies without any alterations.

NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2009, 08:15 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

I really like my Big Shot. It's very easy to use, and there are tons of videos on You Tube if you need help with it; you don't need to buy it through SU just to have help with it.
Reply With Quote Likes