Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-16-2009, 12:40 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sewing Machine

I don't own a sewing machine but would like a little one mainly to use on paper but with the capibility to do small project with material. Any suggestions? THANKS!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2009, 04:02 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I just bought the Janome Sew Mini, havent used it yet lol but alot of people on SCS use it and like it.
Gina K even made a few videos on using it here.

http://stamptv.ning.com/video/janome...i-part-1-setup

Not sure where you live, but if you have a Hancock Fabrics they sell it for I think between $40-50 dollars. I got mine when it was on sale for $40.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2009, 04:35 PM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

Super! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

You are very welcome
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2009, 09:48 PM   #5  
Vintage Vixen

I got a Janome Sew Mini about a month ago and I am LOVING it to sew on cards. This was my first attempt. I do not sew so this was a big step for me. It's easy to use and I like the fact that it's lightweight and has zigzag.

I haven't tried it on fabric yet, but I expect that it will work fine on small craft projects--just nothing too thick. Be sure to switch out your needle when you switch from paper to fabric. (The machine came with one extra needle.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2009, 12:25 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by missiowa81View Post
I got a Janome Sew Mini about a month ago and I am LOVING it to sew on cards. This was my first attempt. I do not sew so this was a big step for me. It's easy to use and I like the fact that it's lightweight and has zigzag.

I haven't tried it on fabric yet, but I expect that it will work fine on small craft projects--just nothing too thick. Be sure to switch out your needle when you switch from paper to fabric. (The machine came with one extra needle.)
Oh wow, what a nice card! It looks fantastic and your sewing looks perfect to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2009, 12:32 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by missiowa81View Post

I love that Santa stamp. Is it an old one?? Who makes it and does it still exist??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2009, 01:14 PM   #8  
Vintage Vixen

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatGirlThereView Post
I love that Santa stamp. Is it an old one?? Who makes it and does it still exist??
It's by Rubber Stampede and it has been around a few years, but I got mine at Michaels earlier this fall. It must be a big seller, for them to bring it back! It's a wood-mount rubber stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Oh shoot LOL I just went to Michaels today, but just now read your post, so didnt even look at the Xmas stamps!!
Im sure I will be there again soon!!!
Thanks for the information.

Your card really was great. Loved how you put your papers together. Saw your other cards too. You're good
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2009, 06:29 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Using the Janome Mini, could you do a simple quilt stitch? Like to take two pieces of cloth and sew together? Or two pieces of cloth and thin batting?

I haven't tried sewing for almost 40 years, so I'd want something simple. But if I get a sewing machine, then I'd like to play with it to do more than cards. I can think of a couple of clothes repairs to start with.

Thanks for advice.

Stasia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2009, 09:32 AM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by stasiatoddView Post
Using the Janome Mini, could you do a simple quilt stitch? Like to take two pieces of cloth and sew together? Or two pieces of cloth and thin batting?

I haven't tried sewing for almost 40 years, so I'd want something simple. But if I get a sewing machine, then I'd like to play with it to do more than cards. I can think of a couple of clothes repairs to start with.

Thanks for advice.

Stasia
The Janome sew mini will sew quilting fabrics beautifully! I have hemmed some things and repaired things as well. It's an all around great little machine. I just wouldn't use it for heavy duty sewing like demin, corduroy or upholstery.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
The Janome sew mini will sew quilting fabrics beautifully! I have hemmed some things and repaired things as well. It's an all around great little machine. I just wouldn't use it for heavy duty sewing like demin, corduroy or upholstery.

Thanks I was beginning to feel guilty about upgrading my sewing machine but then again I was altering thick canvas karate gi's so I think the Sew mini wouldn't have worked as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2010, 01:35 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Default Discontinued

I was so excited after seeing the Janome Sew Mini on Stamp TV...I'm not into sewing but wanted something just to stitch on cards, and this looked perfect!

After searching around the net I've discovered these have been discontinued. :( I'm going to try locally to see if I can find anything left over, but if I come up with nothing, is there another machine you could recommend that's comparable?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2010, 04:45 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Silly Princess Did you find out why they were discontinued. I am bummed! I too was looking at getting one. I wonder what they are going to do. I have been watching to see when they would be on sale and I went on and it was on sale, I tried to go on the next time to order and they were gone . If anyone else has info please chime in. Thank you!

Kristen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2010, 04:54 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Sew Mini was a lemon. I bought it, used it a few days, it broke, retailer wouldn't take it back, I had to ship it to Janome AND pay for return shipping, got it back, and it broke again within a few days.

My friend, who is an accomplished seamstress and quilter, couldn't get the P.O.S. to work, so I gave up.

I just put it out for a charity that refurbishes old/used machines. They said if they couldn't fix it, they'd get parts from it.

If I opt for another machine, I'll get a full size sewing machine from Walmart or Target.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2010, 05:52 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Kristen, I have no idea why they were discontinued - but every time I found one online it said "out of stock" or "discontinued" and I can't find it anywhere on the Janome site, except the forums which were no help. It's like it never existed, so weird.

I found this Kenmore model online tonight, which is probably the next best thing, to my untrained eyes anyway. I won't order right away though, so if anyone has more info send it my way please! I need something EASY and small which is why the Sew Mini really appealed to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is the Sew Mini at Home Depot, and it is also in the Hancocks sale circular this month on sale for $39.00 from January 27 to January 31.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...09&marketID=58

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

i love my janome mini!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2010, 03:44 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

TY buggainok! Home Depot seems to have it in stock, since it let me add to cart - Hancock must be store only, can't find the Mini online, and since I've never seen a Hancock around here looks like it's HD for me! I'll have to hurry and order before it's gone there too LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2010, 10:36 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Between DH & I we have five machines in our home. I love the Janome Sew Mini. It's perfect for paper crafting and small projects. It's a basic machine, just nice straight stitches and zig zag but it is a little power horse machine. The only bugger is no light but I have an OTT-Lite that makes up for it. This is a good learning machine, mending machine and a machine that can take a beating.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2010, 03:55 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stasiatoddView Post

Thanks for advice.

Stasia
If you absolutely know for a fact that you will never want to do anything more than cards or hemming, then the sew mini will work. But if you have an inkling of thoughts about making say...... curtains, or small quilts or simple garments, then buy something else. Any upgraded machine can sew on paper and then give you the capability of sewing anything else you might want to do at a later date. Get something with a bigger stitch package.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2010, 05:50 AM   #22  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post
If you absolutely know for a fact that you will never want to do anything more than cards or hemming, then the sew mini will work. But if you have an inkling of thoughts about making say...... curtains, or small quilts or simple garments, then buy something else. Any upgraded machine can sew on paper and then give you the capability of sewing anything else you might want to do at a later date. Get something with a bigger stitch package.
I agree, I used to have a Pfaff and you can't compare if any real sewing is what you want to do. But if you are a card maker and just want some basic stitching and need to do a quick seam repair every once in a while on light fabric, the janome sew mini is a great little machine.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2010, 06:05 AM   #23  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

Okay, I agree with Gina and sewnmachine on the Janome mini. My 7th grade niece wanted a "paper craft machine" and asked for this on for her birthday. It works on paper, even heavy card stock.

However, and don't shoot me for saying this, but I bought a USED Janome L-392 for under $70 at a Sewing and Vacuum center that I use for my quilting and paper crafting. My husband oils it and I change the needles more often than normal, but that's to be expected with paper crafting. (He has also had to remove paper from the feed, too.)

You may want to go this route, I've saved a bunch of money this way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2010, 07:46 AM   #24  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Here is the Sew Mini at Home Depot, and it is also in the Hancocks sale circular this month on sale for $39.00 from January 27 to January 31.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...09&marketID=58
I looked on-line at Hancock's sale flyer and can't see the Sew Mini listed for that price. Where do you see the January 27th - 31st ad? TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2010, 08:31 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie*View Post
I looked on-line at Hancock's sale flyer and can't see the Sew Mini listed for that price. Where do you see the January 27th - 31st ad? TIA
I signed up at a Hancocks store and get my flyer every month in the mail. I don't think the machine is shown in the online catalogue, so it must be available only in the stores. Here is the page showing the Sew Mini from my flyer:
Attached Thumbnails
Sewing Machine-sewmini.jpg  

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2010, 10:15 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another idea is to check on your local craigslist. I've seen many sewing machine there for very inexpensively.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a wonderful (and expensive) sewing machine. I have always liked the look of machine stitching on cards, but I don't want to use my good machine and end up with problems from sewing paper.

JoAnn Fabric has a White Sew E-Z mini machine on sale for 27.99 in the current flyer. Any comments on the White machines? I think I remember reading that many people prefer the Janome, so I will mostly likely try to get one at Hancock Fabric.
Reply With Quote Likes