Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-27-2009, 09:21 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ...so i went ahead and got the Walmart Cricut Expressions, have some questions

I was looking at the mini Cricut at Joanns but did not get up in time to take advantage of the Black Friday buy. Went to Walmart with my little one around 11:30 and the Expression just walked up to me, ya know how that is.
So I am reading a bit about this SCAL - for a newbie starting out, should I invest in cartridges or do this SCAL thing?
Thanks for your time.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2009, 12:21 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Wow how lucky are you??? That is awesome! There was no trace of the Expressions at my Walmart. Luckily I bought it online when I got up at three AM planning to go wait in line. I was so happy not to have to wait in line!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

i have had mine for over 2 years and love my cartridges. i have only recently considered getting SCAL. carts are so easy, no fussing with the computer for every little thing. i do have design studio and use it occasionally....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2009, 12:54 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

....am I that lucky, did others sell out quickly? There were 3 others there when I left. Will look a litle closer at SCAL for a bit. but I do love Tear Drops, Ashlyn's Alpha and Lyrical Letters so far. Is there a link to where I can see all the carts hat are available.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2009, 01:13 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Denham.....You can't get all the neat images unless you purchase the cartridges. That other program you are talking about is mostly fonts.....how many fonts can one person use, anyway? Those fonts all seem to run together looking the same after a while.

The cartridges go on sale various places very frequently, so they are rather cheap for all that you can get on them.

It is so much easier with a cartridge, the work is all done for you. No searching around the internet for images.

Using the Design Studio in conjunction with the cartridges makes things so easy. There is really no limit to what you can do.

I would go with the cartridges instead of that other program that must be downloaded via the internet.

Patti

P.S. That's interesting, I've never heard of a mini Cricut. I thought there was just the Cricut, Expression and the Create.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2009, 01:46 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

SCAL can do an AWFUL lot - far more versatile for designing your own shapes and designs - or you can purchase them already designed. but for just starting out i think cartridges are the way to go. if you go to the cricut.com you can view all of the carts and if you go to the message board you can get loads and loads of info, advice and details for everything you want to know.

i think by mini cricut she just meant the baby bug which is the original model.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2009, 01:54 PM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
Denham.....You can't get all the neat images unless you purchase the cartridges. That other program you are talking about is mostly fonts.....how many fonts can one person use, anyway? Those fonts all seem to run together looking the same after a while.

The cartridges go on sale various places very frequently, so they are rather cheap for all that you can get on them.

It is so much easier with a cartridge, the work is all done for you. No searching around the internet for images.

Using the Design Studio in conjunction with the cartridges makes things so easy. There is really no limit to what you can do.

I would go with the cartridges instead of that other program that must be downloaded via the internet.

Patti

P.S. That's interesting, I've never heard of a mini Cricut. I thought there was just the Cricut, Expression and the Create.
my feelings too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2009, 02:59 PM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

I just got my Create on Thursday and I have no intention of buying any cartridges. The potential you have with SCAL and Illustrator is limitless. This is the best money I think i've ever spent
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2009, 03:19 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Man, you were lucky! At Wally (sold out by 9 am), Mike's and Jo's the things were all flying off the shelves. Joann's is keeping the cartridges in the back until 7 am Saturday...they will all be on sale for $27.88 and I will be first in line--I will!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2009, 06:16 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

I just ran back in to Walmart about 20 mins ago....there were still 2there :-) I picked up one other cartridge for the 30.00. Thanks everyone for the guidance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2009, 07:55 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I have two dozen cartridges, but I also have SCAL.
SCAL isn't just for fonts - you can do dingbats too and there are amazing cut files (svg) out there, many of them free. You can go way beyond the stuff that's on the cartridges, although I do think they are putting out better cartridges now. I think SCAL is a great investment. Yes, it involves using the computer, but the software is easy to use and opens up so many more possibilities.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 02:18 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I prefer the Design Studio to use with my Expression and Cricut. Can't get a full image of Mickey or Minnie Mouse or any other figures with digbats.

Going on the internet is fine, but the time spent looking for and then trying to edit an image is time consuming. Can those truly be customized? I don't know.

I needed a soccer player to make a page for my niece. I can't find that in digbats, what kind of options would I find on the internet that I can adapt to a little girl for that kind of image? I doubt it.

That other program works for some people, but I like the ease of finding the images I want on cartridges and the various features they offer.....shadow, blackout, layers, etc.

I admit that many of the cartridges that are out don't float my boat, but I seem to work fine with the 35+ that I do have.

Putting the Design Studio on a Netbook (the larger screen one) works fine as a possibility if you need to travel to design your projects. You do need the larger screen one (11.6 I believe it is) to get the full resolution to view the full screen. The 10.1 screen won't get full screen 1024x768.

Each person has to decided the wants and needs for designing and what they want from which ever program. Yes, it may also be a matter of budget. More time consuming to search on the computer for images to use, but will save a bit of money. Which you find more important is the question........time or money?

Just my comments.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 04:49 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I have Scal, Design Studio and 42 cartridges. I love to make my own designs but I really do love the designs on the cartridges. For example I am a Hello Kitty snob. I want my HK to be perfect. I could make my own design file using SCAL but I no I have the official Sanrio on my cartridge. Same goes for the Disney Princesses and Pooh Bear.

The cartridges have things you may never be able to design or find such as music amps, snowboards, etc....

SCAL makes your Cricut so powerful and takes it up to an amazing level. My advice purchase SCAL and buy carts on sale.

I have the Gypsy and since getting it I hardly look at SCAL. I also have a Boss Kut Gazelle and I honestly like the software better. Fits more for my design needs and style.

HTH!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 04:55 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
I have a lot of cartridges PLUS design studio PLUS scal. I have to have it all. :mrgreen:

Oh and I have two cricuts-a small one and a large one. And I bought a netbook just to use in my craft room with my cricuts. :rolleyes:
I have to admit I thought that a netbook would be a much better option than a gypsy and it keeps all the options open. I don't like to close down my options.:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 05:10 AM   #15  
Swapper of the Month - June 2013

I'm waiting for my gypsy to be delivered today. I'm tired of hauling cartridges back and forth to school and then not having the ones I need there. I hope this solves the problem. I do use design studio. I like how many endless options it offers. A friend uses SCAL but I just want to put in a cartridge and cut mostly. My sister is getting the expressions for Christmas, she thinks it is for me. She thinks my expressions is the school's. The machines at my walmart where gone by 5:30. Robert's craft had them for $199.00 and they opened at 6:00 pm. Walmart still had cartridges last night. Robert's had them for 4 for $100.00..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 05:57 AM   #16  
kraf*T*y mama

You are lucky I got the LAST one at my Wal-Mart and that was before 5 am!!!!!

First thing I bought for it was SCAL - my friends all have cricuts so I can use their carts - I am a font junkie and with SCAL you can cut any true type font!

Mama to Kaden, Blake, and Ava

Origami Owl Independent Designer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 07:53 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

you can cut pretty much anything with scal. I bought my expression in may and only have two carts and don't feel like I need any that are out there. There are free files all over the internet and scal version 2 lets you import jpegs and convert them to scal. Here are just some images I have made and cut with scal.

sorry for the big pictures!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 08:05 AM   #18  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 602 Likes on 422 Posts

Both wal marts I went to yesterday had lots of machines. I did not buy one. It bothered me all night. I have the original. I didn't know it was a one day sale when I went to a different wm today. They had 3 left and lucky for me the sign was still up so I got the sale price! I bought one cart. yesterday and 4 at JoAnn's today. I need to get design studio next.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Ok....so I now have 4 carts. The only other cartridge I'd like to get right now is Storybook. I'll stop there until I learn more about Design Studio. There were still 2 machines at my WM today. I didn't know that it was a one day sale !?!?!??
For those of you who use SCAL - I think I'll go through that learning curve next year.
Thanks for all of the help......
Is there a good link to info. on Design Studio?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

I'm new to Cricut even though I've had the small one for two years! I've only now started using it. I do have SCAL and have found some gorgeous free images on the internet. Unfortunately, some are too intricate for my little bug. So, I went to Big Lots Thanksgiving morning and got the Create. (I really don't have room for the Expressions). The Create was $99 and came with the Don Juan cart.

Chika87, I love your images. Can you share your frame with me (the 3rd one)?

Whoever invented the Cricut deserves an award! Just going by this thread, it looks like it appeals to almost all artistic levels and has something for everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 04:50 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Chica- I love your designs. Oh my gosh I am drooling. You are really talented.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 05:24 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Hi,

May I ask you how you go about finding your great files? I have trouble.

Thanks,
katie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 05:00 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by kate2kateView Post
Hi,

May I ask you how you go about finding your great files? I have trouble.

Thanks,
katie
I think a lot of people have blog links to some - especially if they do a lot of work on SCAL so look in their signature lines when you are surfing SCS. I have a link on my blog to a bloke in London, England that designs and shares his files. I have found that you need to "collect" them as they appear as often designers will have them up for a brief time for free and then sell them at a later date.

Maybe do a search on SCS of SCAL and look at signature lines and go to their blogs and see.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 10:27 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Well, I decided to join the masses on black Friday and fight for my lil ole Expressions! Not ever doing one of these before, I wasn't sure what to expect. At 4:50am, there were probably 40 women hovered around 1 pallet of machines and cartridges. At 5am, the lid flew off and women started grabbing machines. One women standing right upfront grabbed machines and started passing them back to her girlfriends - so basically, she was the one controlling who got one and who didn't. When she lifted a box and passed it back, I reached down and grabbed the very last one. I almost came up with a bloody nose and bald spots where she pulled out my hair. Vicious, vicious! I would probably never do that again, but I have to say, to get one for $200 off was a steal. I love my little honey. Was back home and in bed by 5:30am. Whew! That wore me out!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 11:04 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeklView Post
Well, I decided to join the masses on black Friday and fight for my lil ole Expressions! Not ever doing one of these before, I wasn't sure what to expect. At 4:50am, there were probably 40 women hovered around 1 pallet of machines and cartridges. At 5am, the lid flew off and women started grabbing machines. One women standing right upfront grabbed machines and started passing them back to her girlfriends - so basically, she was the one controlling who got one and who didn't. When she lifted a box and passed it back, I reached down and grabbed the very last one. I almost came up with a bloody nose and bald spots where she pulled out my hair. Vicious, vicious! I would probably never do that again, but I have to say, to get one for $200 off was a steal. I love my little honey. Was back home and in bed by 5:30am. Whew! That wore me out!!
And that is why I don't do Black Friday. And that one woman needs to be locked up. Personally I'm of the one per person ilk and get in line. 1st person gets first pick etc...

The only thing I have ever waited in line for was a Wii and that was about a week before Christmas and we were doing some shopping and just happened to see the line so decided to wait and see. It was a very cordial line and people were chatting and laughing - no blood drawn.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm so sorry leekl that you had a bad experience. I don't think that was very lady like of that woman...I love my expression but I would never harm someone else just to get it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 06:46 PM   #27  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
I prefer the Design Studio to use with my Expression and Cricut. Can't get a full image of Mickey or Minnie Mouse or any other figures with digbats.

Going on the internet is fine, but the time spent looking for and then trying to edit an image is time consuming. Can those truly be customized? I don't know.

I needed a soccer player to make a page for my niece. I can't find that in digbats, what kind of options would I find on the internet that I can adapt to a little girl for that kind of image? I doubt it.

That other program works for some people, but I like the ease of finding the images I want on cartridges and the various features they offer.....shadow, blackout, layers, etc.

I admit that many of the cartridges that are out don't float my boat, but I seem to work fine with the 35+ that I do have.

Putting the Design Studio on a Netbook (the larger screen one) works fine as a possibility if you need to travel to design your projects. You do need the larger screen one (11.6 I believe it is) to get the full resolution to view the full screen. The 10.1 screen won't get full screen 1024x768.

Each person has to decided the wants and needs for designing and what they want from which ever program. Yes, it may also be a matter of budget. More time consuming to search on the computer for images to use, but will save a bit of money. Which you find more important is the question........time or money?

Just my comments.

Patti

There are 10.1" netbooks with 1024x768 resolution. HP and ASUS are just two that I know of off the top of my head.
Reply With Quote Likes