Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-17-2004, 05:36 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gotta love Michaels.....:-(

That store absolutely irritates me.

I have my coupon. I call the store to see if they had any of the permanent adhesive for the Xyron 510. The lady looks, says there is a whole shelf of it. So off I go for a 20 minute ride on icy roads to get my stuff. Keep in mind, my daughter is sick, and left at home with my husband who is a wussy when people are puking.

I get there, and the whole shelf is EMPTY!!!! I find it hard to believe that some other crazed lady would have gotten there in the 20 minute span from phone call to store and bought them out.

I seriously think that they take the best selling stuff off the shelf if it isn't on sale so customers can't use their coupon.

]
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 05:59 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

thats horrible of that lady to tell you that!!!! seems to me like she didnt even look!!! GGRRRrrrrrr........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 06:05 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

You probably talked to the holiday help when you called. I left a bag there after paying for it last week. I realized it when I got home late in the day and called. Nope, nothing around I was told. I could just tell by the attitude that she wasn't trying very hard. It was the only place it could be because I went right to my car from the store. I called again in the morning and got one of the year round employees. She had no trouble locating it. I'm glad I called back. I get so frustrated with some of the younger kids - not all of them just some. They just don't seem to care. They want everything without working for it. I pray I can teach my kids better. Sorry your experience was such a bummer. The things we do for that 40% off!! Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 06:09 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Skype™ to StampinLeslie

I couldn't believe it today when I went to Michaels -- I didn't have my coupon, and I asked them for one, as I always did before . . . I had heard they were being strict about it . . . I actually had to sign a list, saying I forgot it!!! They said they are keeping track now. Crazy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 06:32 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Micheals

I live on Long Island which is off NY LOL. AC Moore is here now and opening more stores everyday. Micheal's is already changing their stores too look like AC. They have had the market forever and are now running scared.
Don't be surprised if they go out of Business all togeather.
KK
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 06:50 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Default Michaels

I can top all of you except for the lady who started this string. I was in Michaels on Sat, which was the last day of the 50% coupon they had. I had an extra from my friend in my wallet, but I was only using mine to buy a lousy Staz on pad to try to stick to my budget.

I was in the process of paying and the lady at the checkout said that I wouldn't be allowed to use the other coupon I had in my wallet b/c it is only good for each customer one time.

First, why is she looking in my wallet?
Second, was I trying to use 2 coupons at once? No!
Third, what's stopping me from coming back later?
Fourth, why is it any of her business?!!

This lady has made comments to me before along the same order and I feel like backhanding her. Why should she care what anyone does anyway? Thier store wouldn't get a DIME of my money if it wasn't for coupons.

I guess the corporation is really cracking down on the individual stores. In my area they used to scan a 40% off of almost everyone's purchase whether they had a coupon or not. I am sure that caused a problem with the head honchos.

Please follow my blog.... I am typing into cyberspace! www.centsablesaving.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 07:06 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

All I can say is "HOW RUDE"!!!! What if you were going to another Michaels? And I agree with you that she had NO business looking in your wallet. If I were you, I might look into writing a complaint on Michael's website. AC Moore is the greatest!! They will give you 40% off coupons everyday if you want. I love going there. They usually have better prices and a better selection in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 07:07 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I also find the service at Micheals pretty bad.
That is why I think even if you have to pay a little bit more wouldn't you want to spend more with your demonstrator!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 07:09 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Default Michaels

I was on my way to another Michaels! Tell AC Moorw they need a store in Sheboygan WI, I've never heard of them!

Please follow my blog.... I am typing into cyberspace! www.centsablesaving.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 07:10 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

I know the rule of only one coupon per purchase. So last week at Michaels I had to buy two items. I had my son stand in line in front of me to use one coupon to buy one item and I was the next person in line. Now my son is only 8, and the cashier knew excatly what was goin on. She was very nice. Basically she let me use both coupons, just paying seperately.

Maybe some of this attutude is the cashiers!

And how come at Michaels you ALWAYS have to stand in line for so long? And the cashiers seem to be the slowest!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 07:11 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oooohhhh, you touched a nerve with this one!! I have been so fed up with Michael's lately that I don't even go there anymore unless I absolutely have to.

This sounds petty, but it bugs me so much about their check policy. We have an unlisted phone number so we don't have our phone number on our checks. (Contrary to popular belief, it is not a law that you have your number on your check, or that you give it to them, as I've been told numerous times by sales clerks.) Most stores ask for it, and I tell them it's unlisted, and they're fine with that. But Michael's insists I give them a number. Here's the latest scenario, when I was buying about $60 worth of goods at Michael's and wanted to write a check:

Michael's Chick: I need your phone number on your check.
Me: It's unlisted.
Michael's Chick: I need your phone number on your check.
Me: We don't want to publish our number to anyone, which is why it's unlisted.
MC: Well, we aren't going to call you.
Me: Then why do you need it?
MC: Because if we need to get in touch with you, we need your number.
Me: I thought you said you weren't going to call me.
MC: Well, we won't call you, but your bank will call you if there's a problem with your check.
Me: In that case, my bank has my number on file.
MC: Just give me any number.
Me: <huge sigh> 555-1212
MC: Is that your number?
Me: No. You said to give you any number.
MC: Well, who will answer if I call that number?
Me: Are you going to be calling that number? I thought you just said you weren't going to be calling me! I don't know who will answer - whomever is on staff that day, I suppose.
MC: Whose number is it then?
Me: That's the number for Information. If you call them, you can ask for my number, at which time they'll tell you my number is unlisted!
MC: Why is your number unlisted?
Me: Because I don't want anyone calling me.
MC: But we're not going to call you.
Me: Then WHY DO YOU NEED MY NUMBER?!
MC: We can't accept your check if you don't have a phone number.
Me: So, what do you do if someone doesn't have a phone? Do you discriminate against them because they don't have a phone?
MC: No, that's different.
Me: Okay, then let's just say I don't have a phone.
MC: But you told me you do have a phone.
Me: Look, my number is unlisted for a reason, and I'm not going to give it to you. Now, tell me - are you going to allow me to buy this with a check or not?
MC: I need a number on your check.
Me: Then you just lost my sale, and lost me as a customer. Good bye.
And I walked out - FUMING MAD!! I understand company policy and all, but it's ridiculous - they are NOT going to call me, and they could very easily just write that it's unlisted - like everyone else does - and not make a big deal out of it but NOOOOO!!!! What an idiot. I know there are some people on here who work at Michael's, and this isn't personal to them, but I have to say that they are going downhill fast, and with crappy service like that, I couldn't care less - there are plenty of other places to shop, espec. when their competitors take their coupons! GRRRRRR......

Sorry for such a long post - I have to actually laugh at it now, because it was SUCH an absurd dialog, like "Who's on first?" Oh well - thanks for letting my vent. I feel much better now! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 07:13 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Default Michaels

Kudos to you for walking away. What an idiot.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 07:20 PM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

Short - I definitely would have asked for the manager. If they wouldn't accept it, then I would have asked for their corporate office number. I have absolutely no patience for stuff like this - I give you a TON of credit for going as long as you did. It would have taken me just a second time of repeating and I would have been set off!

I have done the above and while it doesn't always resolve everything, I felt better because I got to "state" my case so to speak. As well as, I love when they say they can't give out the corporate # - WELL THEN....I can't give out MY #!!!!

We have both AC Moore and Michael's and I try very hard to limit my time in them. Not because I spend a lot - I can NEVER find what I am looking for! I try to buy almost everything possible from SU! when I can.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 07:27 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin3
Short - I definitely would have asked for the manager. If they wouldn't accept it, then I would have asked for their corporate office number. I have absolutely no patience for stuff like this
Oh, believe me, my patience was far past its limit!! :twisted: :twisted: I kept thinking I should just call the manager but by that time, I was was so @#$%^ fed up with the whole situation that there was no way I was going to spend another minute over it. I don't know who does their training, but somehow they have cloned all their idiots to act the same! Grrrr..... - J.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 07:38 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Short4j--That's the funniest dialog I have heard in a long time. I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time, but I think your responses were just inspired.

Our Michael's is really lame too - slow to restock, never anything "new and cool" on the shelves. I go there only for the basics. (Our Joann's is lame too but at least we have Archivers.)

The one redeeming virtue for our Michael's - there is this guy (yes a guy) who works stock. He pretty much roams the aisles. I have found that you can ask him absolutely ANYTHING about a craft or how to use one of their items and he knows the answer. The other day, he scolded me for referring to something as "shellac". Hey, I knew it was an outdated term, but I don't know what it's called these days.

Still haven't found a use for this week's coupon.... :?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 07:56 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

I solved the unlisted number on the check a long time ago. I made up a number and I use the same one every time. Have never had a problem. It's easier than arguing.

"Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think." Buddha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 07:58 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Okay, I know your were fuming at the time and you totally had every reason too, but your email made me chuckle out loud! You shound just like me. Sometimes, you just get so tired of rude and people! good for you for walking out! If more people did that then maybe the stores wouldn't let their clerks be so rude, its almost like you are bothering them to shop there, wherever it may be.

Smiles,
Colleen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 08:17 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

I was also cracking up over the unlisted check dialog!! Too funny - I would have been the nosey person in line behind you who would have said "it's illegal for you to ask for her unlisted number, lady!"

I never find what I'm looking for at Michaels. They will run a sale and then never have it in stock - wouldn't you buy more ink if you were going to have a 50% off sale?? I've also shared the experience of asking for help and no one knowing what I'm asking for - don't know if they carry it - and certainly can't tell me where to look. Or they tell me where to go when I've already been there. So frustrating...

The store near me used to put their sales ad in a basket by the front door, so if you forgot your coupon you could go get theirs. Not anymore - you better bring it because they aren't giving any out! I rarely go there at all anymore. Even with SU's backorder issues, it's so much better than wasting a trip to Michael's.

my 2-cents.... shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 08:17 PM   #19  
Crimping Master

katiestamper: how PERFECT!!!!!! like how are they ever going to know that you're not giving them the correct # ??!!!!!!! i'm a retail manager (christian bookstore) & it just IRRITATES me when sales people act like idiots!! don't they know the saying, "you catch more flies (customers) with honey than vinegar"??? yes, there are rules to follow, but come on....you need to use a little common sense! my employees just write "#unl" or "no phone" & then they smile & go on with their duties! if the customer ever needs to be contacted, then the mgr. knows there are ways to find out the info. a lot of it does stem from the fact that many places, like michaels, hire inexperienced kids because it's cheap labor but most of the problem lies with the management not training properly. but that's a "whole nother" story!!!!!

short4j: i'm glad you kept your temper & then walked out. you can hold your head high!! and now that SU's carrying so much more, one day we'll NEVER have to go to those other stores at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 08:21 PM   #20  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by katiestamper
I solved the unlisted number on the check a long time ago. I made up a number and I use the same one every time. Have never had a problem. It's easier than arguing.
The last time I was asked for my telephone # it was at Toys R Us.

I told the clerk it was 867-5309.

(No my name is not Jenny. :lol: )

Most of the time, depending on the age of the clerk, they then ask what my area code is.

Usually someone in line gets a laugh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 08:25 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Cindy that is tooo funny!!! I am falling off my chair. I am ageing myself but I loved that song as a teenager!!! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 08:30 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I started giving the number for Dad's fax machine -- any sales calls got an earful! :lol:

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 08:49 PM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarLitStudio
The last time I was asked for my telephone # it was at Toys R Us.

I told the clerk it was 867-5309.
OMG I've got tears in my eyes from laughing so hard!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I've got to try that one next time...but it's gonna be pretty hard keeping a straight face!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 10:00 PM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

Oh ladies this makes me so sad! I live in Hawaii, which is great, but we don't have Michaels here. We have Ben Franklin and a few independent stores, but no one has nearly the selection that Michaels does. I crave going to the mainland just so I can go to Michaels. I spend hours perusing the aisles to see all the new goodies and what I have been missing out on. Last time I went to Ca, I actually brought a second suitcase just for things I might buy at Michaels.

I do notice that many times the help isn't that friendly, but usually I am just so in awe that I don't care of they are rude! Last time one of the workers actually stopped and played with my son for a few minutes, so that kind of made up for the grouchy ones I had encountered on my previous visits that week.

Anyways, I am not trying to negate that the experiences were bad for each of you, but it does make me sad because I just look so forward to going to Michaels!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 10:17 PM   #25  
Mad Swapper

It really depends on the store. I was in Spokane a couple of weeks ago and the store in the SW end and we told them we had just driven down from Canada and wondered if we could get a coupon...the clerk was very rude then called the manager...she said that they didn't get coupons sent to the store and would lose their jobs if they allowed us to purchase something at the 40%off. Later that day we were driving to our hotel in the N end and there was another Michaels...what a difference...the lady got us a coupon each and was very friendly. I will never shop in the other store again. We haven't had this problem in Canada...if we show them our licence, showing that we live in a small town and have no way of getting a coupon...they just allow us to shop and get one item at 40% off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 10:21 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Wow! I leave for a few hours to go to a hockey game and I've got 2 pages to go through!!!

I've been in an AC Moore when I lived in PA and that is THE best store!!!
Funny thing is, our Michaels is moving across the street, so maybe a cool craft store will go into where they are leaving.

My Michaels is the grungiest, dirtiest place around, besides out local Wal-Mart....whole different rant and rave about THAT place!!

I think I am going to hit Michaels tomorrow after work and see if they have my adhesive. I JUST WANT TO FINISH MY CHRISTMAS CARDS!!!!!!

If anything, I'll buy another xyron that they actually have the refills for, use it, then return it when I am done. WRONG??? Yes, but my Michaels store irritates me that much!! I'll just tell them it's broken so it will get sent to salvage or something.

]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 10:37 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Alta Loma, CA ~~ With the *Girls* ~~~~~~~ Rubi, BeckyZ and Bia

Urrgg, Michaels. I have had a couple of things in the last couple of weeks. First, I went into Michaels to get my Xyron 850 refill with my Joanns coupon. I called first since I had only heard they accepted them. So I go to the register with my Online Joanns coupon and the clerk tells me, "I don't think we accept the online Joanns coupon." And I asked her why does it matter if they sent it to me by mail or by email? Either way, they sent it to me. So she calls a manager, yes they took it, but she actually told me, this manager said yes, but another manager will probably say no. Sounds like left hand doesn't know what right hand is doing. Oh, and they are keeping a list of customers and what coupons they are using.

Second, I needed the white craft gift bags for a W/S I had on Monday, thought I had enough, but no. So I went to Michaels to get some. They have 12 pkged for $5.99. I take them up and the kid is new. I might mention that the store was packed, all registers were open and I only recognized 1 clerk. I didn't notice the pkg I got didn't have the UPC on it anywhere. He has no clue what to do. A clerk in the next line tells him to wait a minute because she is calling someone to help her also. Well I'm thinking that was not his best plan. Another kid comes up and asked him what the problem was (he was waiting for a phone call) and he said he would go get the price when he got off the phone. So I decide I might actually get home the same day if I go get another pkg myself. On my way back here comes the 2nd kid. Tells me he is going to get the price, I already have it in my hand. Anyway I take it up and the kid actually rings the bags up twice. Meanwhile the lines are all backed up and no one in sight who look like they have worked there for more than 5 minutes.

Man, sorry this was so long, very frustrating when they just can't take the time to train the help properly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 11:42 PM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hey I'm right along with you when it comes to Michaels. I have been so disappointed with their customer service. One week they will take a Joanns coupon, one week they don't, one week they will honor their ad, one week they don't. Frankly, they have made my hair TIRED!

Just last week I called the corporate office and blew their hair back. I finally had it! I've had to call their corporate office about 3 times in last 5 months.

Michaels just isn't the same as it was like back in the days... :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 02:14 AM   #29  
Crimping Master

I agree with everyone about Michaels! And unfortunately, I don't have an AC Moore here (never heard of it, actually) and my JoAnn's is about an hour or more away. I went to Michaels on Saturday, was told about the coupon situation (and they won't even let you "sign" for it -- they just say no) and the only reason I bought what I had was because I had a gift card to use.

I sent "corporate" an email about the situation, telling them that I have to travel 30 minutes in either direction to get to a Michaels AND I don't have any coupons in the papers in my small town AND I can't even get a paper delivered to my house. I got a cookie-cutter response from them, of course. So I vowed not to shop there again.

I went back yesterday, against my better judgment, because I happened to have a coupon in my hand to use. I went in, got what I came for, and when I got to the checkout, I asked the cashier, who is an older lady and has been there for a while, why the coupon crap and the manager happened to be standing there. So I had a nice, friendly conversation with them (it's not their fault, right?) about why this no-coupon rule and they said that corporate is tightening down on them, blah, blah, blah. I also informed them that I frequent a website that has over 20,000 members and if 20,000 people decided to not shop at Michaels, they might feel it in the wallet a little. I also told her that there's nothing I get at Michaels that I can't get somewhere else. I may have to drive farther or pay shipping, but it's worth it.

I think we should all boycott Michaels for ONE MONTH! They won't even notice if it's a day or even a week, but a MONTH, especially here at Christmas time -- maybe that would wake them up?

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 03:09 AM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

People who don't like their jobs, should stay home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 04:02 AM   #31  
Goober-E LOST-E

short4j - I would definately write Michaels a letter on their web site - or mail it - and complain.
I find that if I make a polite (but pointed) complaint that the company usually sends me something for free.
Starbucks just sent me free drink coupons for a problem.

I've had trouble with Michales recently, too. Similar coupon issues as everyone else and rude employees. If enough of us complain in a calm manner maybe they'll do something about it.

I also have AC Moore's here. They have their issues, too but not nearly the problems that Michaels has.

I love my coupons so I'll go in for one thing and leave. Michale's doesn't get a lot of my money!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 04:03 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

I always give my husband's work number when asked for a phone number. I did have to explain to my children why I do not like to give our our home number. It is embarrassing when they say, "Mom, that's not our number!" :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 04:34 AM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

I took my 16 yr old daughter with me Monday to Michaels, she wanted a character cake pan. (She's taking a catering class in school -glad one of us likes to cook!). She picks her item and gets in line with her money and coupon. The item my daughter picked rang up at $1.00 below the shelf price so they wouldn't honor the coupon so I gave her one of my items to get the 40% off. When I went to check out the lady didn't want to take my coupon for my item because she said I had already used a coupon today. I told her it said one per person per day, my daughter had paid for her own purchase. She glared at me then took it. Our JoAnn's isn't any better - it's dirty, everything is jumbled up, and the aisles are so crowded you can't get a buggy down them.

We need a good craft store in Roanoke, VA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 05:26 AM   #34  
Mad Swapper

I hate Michaels

I rushed down there one night after bowling (30 minutes drive) and only went there this late because my husband agreed to go and spend money :lol:

We get there at 8:51 pm and the doors were locked.....i knocked on the door and this little girl answers the door and says they are closed and I said it's 8:51 and she says our computers say 9:00. I proceed to ask for the District Managers telephone number and of course she doesn't have it

I go the next morning and get to the checkout and ask what time their computers say and she says 10:20 which is the exact time my watch says so technically they should have been open the previous night when I had goten there.

I call the manager later that day and she says, "you must need a new watch battery since I would never close the store 10 minutes early"

they aggravate the heck out of me

hate hate hate my experiences at Michael's
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 05:26 AM   #35  
Stampin' Fool

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

May I play devil's advocate for a minute? I agree that there is absolutely NO excuse for rudeness. But in the situation about the unlisted phone number, let's try to see things from the cashier's point of view:

Let's just imagine that you are young (high school or college or just starting out on your own); you've just started working for a manager who isn't very understanding or nice; you are told that you have to have a phone number on a check; the customer doesn't want to give you her number; you are trying to do what you're told to do (get the number) and the customer is really getting ticked off; now you have to decide which would be worse--a mad customer or a mad boss; you will probably never see the customer again, but if you don't get the number, you're going to have to listen to an irate boss who has the ability to make your life miserable or fire you.

Now, we would probably just make up a phone number after the first "It's unlisted" but the young and inexperienced think you have to do what the boss says to do! :lol:

Older ladies might have the excuse that they've never worked outside of home before and have found themselves in a situation that they now have to work to pay bills and are afraid of making the boss unhappy.

Ladies between the ages of about thirty to fifty-five have absolutely no excuse!!!!

I'm just saying all this because I wasn't the one in line and I didn't have to deal with all the stupidity. AND I'm a mother who likes to make people feel guilty...makes me look so nice, don't ya know! :lol:

So very blessed and so very thankful.
God is good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 06:10 AM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't know about playing devils advocate but I worked at Michaels for a month. I had to leave for personal reasons but let me tell you a little of what is happening.

Coupon-yes, they are cracking down hard. The Michaels I was at has the list where you sign the list if you "forgot" your coupon but they will eventually do away with that too. They actually don't even have to offer the list. Corporate decided they were losing too much money on the 40% off. You will have people come in trying to use expired coupons, having a fit because you can't use it with something that's on sale when it clearly states it on the ad. They want their coupon back or they want to use it on their stuff and then have the cashier scan it again to use it on their friends stuff. Michaels understanding is "what other store will give you 40% off every week" and all you have to do is bring in the coupon with you. That's it! According to Michaels this coupon thing has been abused so bad that is has gotten to this. And as someone who also shops there alot I do know where ya'll are coming from but Michaels has rules and cashiers are asked to follow those. I don't know if this may vary from stores but I guess every manager may play it different. The store I worked at even had their sales flyers that you asked for with the 40% marked out. That's they way they came in to the store.

Cashiers-Like I stated above they have rules they need to follow. Phone # is one of them. Current ID, an actual address not a p.o. box on return merchandise. If cashiers don't follow guidelines they could get written up. Their training is not very good. I was let on a register after 30 minutes of watching. I felt bad for the customers who had to constantly wait there when I couldn't figure out what the register wanted me to do but eventually you catch on. Lots of times things like returns, gift cards, etc..a front end manager has to be called to put the key in the register, so that's
alot of your waiting in line too.

Customer service-if you can't find something the best person to ask is the stock guy/girl. They put merchandise away all the time so they know exactly where to find it. As for craft questions, well on the application is does not state that you have to have some kind of craft experience. Most of these people are kids in school. I couldn't help anyone with anything but the stamping stuff.

One of the major ways to help yourself is make sure that what you buy has a upc code(barcode) on it, if it doesn't take another one that does. The cashier can scan the one you bring up even if its not the one you want(color,size). And if you do forget, you(the customer) would be the best person to go get another one because you know exactly where you found it and could go and return alot faster than the cashier who might not know where to look and has to call someone. You can leave any extras at the registers, they have people do "go backs" all the time.

Boy, this got long. I'm not trying to defend Michaels because I also don't like that most of the stuff they put on sale is stuff you want and can't use your coupon on but just wanted to let you all have a little insight. I don't even want to mention the experience I had with customers, there are some really rude people out there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 06:36 AM   #37  
Hardware Hotshot

I went to what I think was a Value Village in Wenatchee WA a couple of weeks ago...mind you I live about 2 1/2 hours from there and found the refill I needed for my Xyron. I asked if they would give me a coupon to use and was told...it was in yesterday's paper and I would have to go get one. I told her I wasn't from around there (closest Michael's is 30 minutes away) and she didn't care. Told me again I'd have to get a paper and then proceded to ignore me. I put down my entire purchase and walked right out. I sent an e-mail to corporate and have receivied NOTHING back! Guess I won't try that again! I found a couple of places online that sell their refills at Michael's/JoAnn's 40% to 50% off price so I'll go with that!

Thanks for a great laugh first thing in the morning! My husband left yesterday for his new Army assigment. He'll be gone for a year so I was feeling sorry for myself...appreciate the laugh!
Old 11-18-2004, 06:49 AM   #38  
Inking Addict

Wow....some of these stories are unbelievable. I get so irritated with rude people. The dialog with the unlisted number made me laugh out loud, although I'm sure if it were me, it wouldn't have been so amusing!

Good for you for walking out ! Customer service is not what it used to be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 06:50 AM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

Default Michaels

I think we have all had some kind of bad experience at Michaels at one time or another.
If they are 'losing' so much on these 40% coupons, then why don't they discontinue them? Why indeed? Because they know we won't shop there.
I did use an online printable Joanns cpn last week. The clerk, who has been there for years, scrutinized for what seemed like 5 minutes. Then, as the others have said, I had to sign for it. Well, I think that is just too much. So maybe an "Alias" name. How about Sydney Bristow with the
number from the song.
Maybe we should all do the exact same name and number, do you think they would notice?
How funny would that be? I also agree to boycott the place. I did that for some time a few years ago. Don't know why I started up again.
I have a very nice Joann's right across the street. Now they are
watching for the coupons too. Can't use the same printable one.
Since other people send them to me, I don't want them to lose their
email from Joanns.

Again, they know we won't shop there without the coupons. They are in a catch 22.

With all the competition out there, online etc.....they have to continue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 06:55 AM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

Default Re: Michaels

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmnett
I was on my way to another Michaels! Tell AC Moorw they need a store in Sheboygan WI, I've never heard of them!
I live in Racine, WI and have never heard of them either. Are they just on the East Coast?
Reply With Quote Likes