Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you actually give most of the cards you make?

Or do you just make them as a hobby/art? Do you keep stocked up on assorted cards or do you make them as you need them?

My last day of work was Friday. I'm hoping to get some cards made up to have on hand. I still have quite a few Christmas cards to make. Then I want to work on birthday, showers, get well, etc.

Just curious as to how you get inspired.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

I almost always make cards as I need them. I think I'm in the minority here on SCS. I rarely have cards made ahead. I also make only about one or two cards per month. Last month I did make three or four. I can't seem to make cards just to be making cards...I have to have an occasion. I'm sure most of the responses will be the opposite of mine!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 02:21 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm like the second poster. I make cards as birthdays, anniversaries, etc. come up. I make Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas cards ahead of time, but that's because I make all my cards different and I need lots of time. I make five or more Christmas cards each month. Unless I'm at a class I have to have a reason to send a card or it doesn't get made.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I really need to start making cards to give. I usually just make them for the fun of it then can't part with them. Pretty pathetic. I'm starting though, giving them away. Need to work on making a stash to have on hand.

Inkspots101 my crafting blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 02:47 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

For my personal use, I make cards as I need them but I do make large batches of cards that I donate to a nursing home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 03:32 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I do my own ministry so to speak....I am a retired teacher and we rarely, if ever, got good stuff in our mailboxes. I have 18 on my list currently I mail to each month. I try to mail out 2 cards a month. I do hear back and usually the email tells me it arrived just at the right time and how difficult a certain situation has become. FYI--teacher cry a LOT! We have many stresses and the tears just flow sometimes. If one card can ease one tension in a month then I have done what I set out to do.

I search for new ideas for folds and stamps...they save them for their 'file' and don't have to search as many hours as I do now that I am retired.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 04:03 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I usually make cards as I need them. I'm making it a point to create cards on a monthly basis in 2010 so I don't end up scrambling at the last minute to make a card. Like posters above I also make Valentine, Halloween and Christmas cards in bulk and ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 04:18 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I donate the majority of my cards to Still Someone, who then delivers them to nursing homes (I'm on their Board and made two deliveries myself last week!). Their website is www.stillsomeone.org and we're the Cards for a Cause project this month!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 06:11 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Cards for a Cause Challenge Hostess

YES, I mail most of mine, I luv sending encouragment to others! *~*
designing for
verve stamps, sunday stamps, inspired by, and as you see it challenges
AMAZON shopping

Philippians 4:6-7

Looking for a place to send your stash of cards? Check out Cards For A Cause
Help US Help Others!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

I make them as I need them too! I like being able to make a card that fits the style of the person receiving it--I think this makes it easier to complete a project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 06:17 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

I usually make them as I need them, but I've started getting into the habit of making two cards at a time. Then I can start a stash so I'm not always scrambling for a card that I needed to get in the mail yesterday!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53queenbeeView Post
I do my own ministry so to speak....I am a retired teacher and we rarely, if ever, got good stuff in our mailboxes. I have 18 on my list currently I mail to each month. I try to mail out 2 cards a month. I do hear back and usually the email tells me it arrived just at the right time and how difficult a certain situation has become. FYI--teacher cry a LOT! We have many stresses and the tears just flow sometimes. If one card can ease one tension in a month then I have done what I set out to do.

I search for new ideas for folds and stamps...they save them for their 'file' and don't have to search as many hours as I do now that I am retired.
I glad you do this. I do, too. I'm retired and have a "leetle" bit more time than I used to. I make all the regulation cards for family birthdays, annivesaries, etc.

But I make a lot of "no special reason" cards. I send them to different people that I feel need something special in their mailbox. Who doesn't like to get something besides a bill?

Like you, I hear from those who get the cards and they are very appreciative. Example: There is a sweet, sweet lady who lives across the street from my dd. She's not really a close friend, but I always wave and sometimes chat when I go to my dd's. Her hubby of 60 years recently died.

She is one of those energetic, busy cute little old ladies who is on the go a lot. But I know her life has been so different since she was widowed. I've put her on my list to mail a card to from time to time. She said they always seem to come just when she was feeling a little down and sorry for herself.

Ladies, if you're making cards and just keeping them in a box somewhere - set them free! Mail them to someone and bring a smile to their day. 44 cents is a small price to pay for a smile.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

53queenbee and buggainok, you ladies are awesome! I was touched to read your thoughts. You're right - it's a small price to bring a smile to somebody! Also love your (buggainok) signature line.

I make cards just like that - keep a stash to send to my relatives and also for my Etsy store, proceeds of which go to an orphanage. It's only for immediate family that I make specific cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 09:42 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I make my cards as needed also. I have a box seperated into months that I got as a gift from Hallmark years ago. It has a tab for each month & spaces to write up each occassion. I do work a bit ahead sometimes, but i do like to cut it close. I do have a habit of making an extra of each card I make. I keep them in photo boxes. It's fun to look through my work as it changes throughout the years. Now, I seem to photograph more of my work instead of making an extra.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 09:48 PM   #15  
Glitter Queen

Wow, I'm the only one who has posted that makes cards just to make them! I have a gigantic stash right now.....in between all the color challenges and sketches that I do, I can't seem to get rid of my cards fast enough! However, whenever I need a card, I always seem to have one for each occasion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 11:26 PM   #16  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Because I do most of the challenges, I generally have about two shoe-boxes full of cards. I try to make sure I have a mix to cover different occasions, when I am doing the challenges. Now, some of those are at least three years old and are ones I struggle to give away because they are my favourites. But the rest of them get used one way or another - for RAKs, to give a pack as a gift and so on. And many times when someone in work wants one or two to buy, I already have what they are looking for, so I don't have to make something in a hurry. If there are more than two boxes full, I send more RAKs out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2009, 08:42 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

oh my goodness...I have so many ministries going on that I use every single card I make...I am usually scrambling and sending late to my own family and friends...isnt that pathetic...?
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2009, 08:52 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
I almost always make cards as I need them. I think I'm in the minority here on SCS. I rarely have cards made ahead. I also make only about one or two cards per month. Last month I did make three or four. I can't seem to make cards just to be making cards...I have to have an occasion. I'm sure most of the responses will be the opposite of mine!!
I should do more but I do well to get the ones done that I "HAVE TO" make! Might be a New Year's Resolution in there somewhere! So I'm right there with you I make the card for the recipient.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2009, 09:19 AM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

If I need a card I customize to the person I am sending to-but I do need to have a small stash of generic cards {esp sympathy}. All the cards I make go the operation write home, or I give sets of cards as gifts. The last time I had a stash built up-I decided to make all {ALL 9} of my grandsons teachers sets of cards for Christmas- I gave 110 cards as gifts that year and I have never replaced it-even my faves get given away-I scan and put in galleries and on disc so I can look at them later at any time. Now, if I had the space I would probably keep a lot of my babies- I need to start making more elaborate cards again-and I was thinking the challenges would be a good way to build a stash-I need to look at them...
this summer my daughter and I had our own card-a-thon and made over 100 cards for my other daughter to sell at her Relay for Life booth for the ACS. The cards left from that are still making their way around 2 business, to sell the rest of them.

{there are no mistakes in rubber stamping; only embellishment opportunities}

Last edited by paisley_frogs; 11-02-2009 at 09:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2009, 11:17 AM   #20  
Inking Addict

I'm part of a small team ( 4 of us) who make cards all year round to sell at our Church
(http://www.longtoncommunitychurch.co.uk).

With the proceeds we help support a children's villlage in Mbarara, Uganda. One card sold supports one child for a day.

So if I need a card for family or a friend I "buy" one of my own cards back from the Church stock!

Susan

http://www.cardmaking-companion.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

I make more than I give. Between all the challenges and just loving the act of making I have a large stash. The funny part... when somebody's bday is coming up instead of rummaging through my stash I'd make a new one just with that person in mind. I am a sick card making person :P My husband told me many times I need to do something with my cards but with some, I just can't part

The Christmas cards though, they will be in somebody's home this December.

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2009, 02:21 PM   #22  

Received 206 Likes on 185 Posts

I use most of the cards I make although if a friend needs a card they will often come to me. I love creating and then giving them away....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2009, 03:26 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks for all of the replies! It was very inspiring. As soon as I get my Christmas cards made, I want to start making some to use in some sort of ministry, at least to have cards to give to people at church who have been sick or going through rough times.

I love the idea of making a list of people to send cards to from time to time, just to cheer them up or let them know you're thinking of them.

If you make sets of them to give as gifts, how many and what kind do you put in the set? I thought about doing this for Christmas gifts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #24  
Mad Swapper

Hi I usually make cards each day for Send Love Today and Compassionate cards.
Then i am trying to submit some cards to some magazines.

So i am making cards for each cause.
Tanya
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2009, 03:36 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

most of my cards I make are for church members birthdays.
If I have any extra's I put some on etsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2009, 03:58 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a box of cards but it's getting low. I make them as I need them and try to make some up ahead. Sometimes I do multiples of one design -especially something generic like "thinking of you". The biggest compliment I get is every once in a while my Mom will stop by and say "do you have a card I can use for so and so?" That just makes my day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

I don't sent out nearly as many as I make. I'm just not a card-sender, I guess. But I love to make them. So I give the majority of my cards to my mom to send out....she'll send cards to anyone for any occasion. The rest I send to Operation Write Home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

I usually keep at least 5 birthday and anniversary (each) made up because I send those out all the time. I normally don't have but 1 or 2 get well and sympathy cards made up. I will normally make them as needed. I don't make cards for any of the other holidays except Christmas. I don't make them ahead because I wait to see what the new Christmas stamps are, then the rush to get cards made in time to mail.

Estelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2009, 06:08 PM   #29  
Crimping Master

Yes. I send my mom and grandma a card every week. Sometimes I have a lot to say in it....other times it's just to say hi. My grandma is 86 years old and the highlight of her day at times is to check the mail and she is so tickled when she gets a card in there. That alone keeps me making just 'cuz cards I also slip cards on co-workers desks when I know they are having crazy weeks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

[QUOTE=prettypinkposh;15475274]Wow, I'm the only one who has posted that makes cards just to make them! I have a gigantic stash right now.....in between all the color challenges and sketches that I do, I can't seem to get rid of my cards fast enough! However, whenever I need a card, I always seem to have one for each occasion. [/QUOT
No I also make them just to make them......I really need to give them out more. This past month I sent out one get well card, but then I missed two birthdays and one anniversary. I suppose I should make it a New Year's Resolution...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2009, 06:38 PM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

I generally make them as I need them. I keep some extras on hand - I try to always have a few sympathy, thinking of you, etc on hand as well for stuff that comes up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

I use to make several cards when I needed to make a specific card for someone. This year I made a bunch to sell at a boutique. Since I have a lot left I'm stocked up for quite a while. When I make cards ahead I leave off any greetings and just have a place on the card that I can add something when I need to send it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I give most of my cards to friends or donate them to a 'Cards for a Cause'. The ones I like, I photograph and save the prints in a photo album with a notation - i.e. card recipe, the occasion, who I gave them to, etc. I also give most of my 3D items away - i.e. boxes, 'nugget' purse and variations, treat holder, etc. - and photograph them also.

I have only been papercrafting for about 2 yrs but saving the actual card/3D items would cause a storage problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2009, 07:09 PM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use the cards I make for specific occasions and I also make sets to give as gifts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2009, 07:40 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

I sell the majority of my cards. I supply a local flower shop with cards and sell about 20-30 a month (that's about a card a day, which is what I try to do...) and I get a little funny money every now-and-then!

When I have an occassion with a special person in mind I will make them a custom card. People who know me expect it now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2009, 10:58 PM   #36  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hsmom69View Post
If you make sets of them to give as gifts, how many and what kind do you put in the set? I thought about doing this for Christmas gifts.
I include a couple of birthdays, one sympathy, maybe a get well, one or two thank-yous and a couple of generic just because, thinking of you. I usually give eight, sometimes ten if I am having trouble narrowing my choice down. I'll often make a nice box to present them in, but when I was in a hurry last week I just made a bag-a-lope from the tutorial in the Resources. It went down so well, but limited me to using A2 or tall cards - I had to take two square ones I had chosen out. In a box, it doesn't matter so much if they are different sizes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2009, 07:33 AM   #37  
Kookie Creator

I wish I had a nice lil supply on hand. It seems as soon as I make one it's in the mail for someone. I seem to be more creative if I have someone in mind that I am making a card for. I like to put something together that has their style written all over it. This usually suprises them beyond belief. When I used to buy cards I'd spend allot of time picking out just the right one. Making them is so much more fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2009, 07:42 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I give away ALL my cards. My husband gets first dibs on any card I make, so he keeps all the best ones, but I still consider that to be me giving them away (to him). I can't make them fast enough (I am very slow). The only cards I don't give away (addressed from me personally) are usually cards I made at workshops or classes, or my rejects. I take those cards and give them to my sister-in-law, so she can use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2009, 08:01 AM   #39  
Compulsive Stamper

I find that if I have DP that I LOVE LOVE LOVE I make a few cards with the paper in the same layout and change the greeting. This allows me to make cards ahead as whenever I need a card I generally dont have the time.... so I make them ahead as much as possible...... especially for smaller Holidays ( Halloween etc.). I get inspired this year and make it for next year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

I make them for birthdays and holidays but I also make sets to give away.
I made a Christmas set of 6 cards for a friend who really helped us during the time I was in the hospital last month. She loved them and said she needs to find special people that really deserved them .... I thought that was sweet.
Reply With Quote Likes