Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-31-2009, 09:52 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DCWV paper??

I am very curious about this question and I am looking for opinions...

Why do so many card makers hate DCWV CS and PP. I personally like it- I love getting papers that match from the beginning- also the cardstock stacks match the paperstacks. I realize there is heavier CS like SU but when making a card or scrapbooking when you layer does it really matter it is a lil less weight? I realize that you get loads of paper in stacks and you will never like all the sheets but I have found that it is cheaper all the way around. I either give away sheets I don't like or toss it in the trash. I also realize that 3 sheets of each design is a little much but again the trash works for me. I only usually pay 10.00$ for the stack so tossing it doesn't bother me. I like the premium stack in CS for base cards.

I also use other brands of paper and CS- so I am not a diehard DCWV fan- just looking for opinions..I have been so curious about this... Also my toddler son always has paper to play with for coloring or tearing up- whichever he feels like doing while mommy crafts. I realize some people are Loyal to a particular brand or company- so I just wonder if that is the reason I find so many people hate DCWV.

For my base card I usually use other brands. I personally am NOT loyal to any company in particular.

Sheena
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 11:35 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year I got some of the Christmas DCWV cardstock and I love it. It has some really pretty designs in it. Like you said, there some that I don't like but for the price, if I never use it, then no biggie. I also have some of the paper in the Spring design. Most of the cardstock I have right now came from Michael's or Hobby Lobby. Right now, I just can't afford some of the better paper/cardstock. I did get some SU Earth Elements and I think I'll really like it. I've only made one card with it. I just get what I can afford and do the best I can with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 01:32 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love DCWV stacks! I think they are great!

When you find a paper you don't love so much, try using it to mat your image, with just a small part of the design showing, and they a solid colored mat behind that. Very often those "ugly" patterns when seen 12 x 12 work really well when you are only seeing a 1/2 inch frame of them.

Most of the patterns are really pretty. I always use the DCWV papers for layering on cards and scrapbook pages and not as the base. They are wonderful for this and you get so much paper at such a good price.

There is definitely no need to spend a lot for papers that will be used for layers!

Again, I LOVE DCWV stacks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 01:33 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

I'm not a hater!! I love some of them!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 01:35 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I have bunches of it!! Use it alot, and I have no problems with it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 02:18 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I like DCWV. I usually use it for scrapbooking but occassionally makes cards with it.
I use mostly SU to make cards, but hardly ever for scrapbooking.
The one I've got that is my current fav is the Rustic stack. I love the vintage look of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 07:09 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think there are "paper snobs" just like there are snobs about any other products people use. Everyone has their own preferences and opinions.

I don't mind that people like certain things. We are all entitled to like what we like.

But I get a little out of patience when someone expresses their dislike of a product in a way that seems to include questioning the taste and/or judgment of someone who uses and likes that product.

That said, I personally like DCWV cardstock. I always buy their stacks of colored cardstock when they are on sale and enjoy using them. I also like their pattern papers.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 08:34 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I love DCWV!!!! my blog will prove it..LOL! but I'm a paper junkie
Mandy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 08:45 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I like DCWV. I love the paper stacks and the cardstock. Never had a problem with them and the cardstock stacks that I have seem to hold up just perfectly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 11:02 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I like them, and I like the white core for embossing and sanding. But it does irritate me when I forget that it is white core and fold it in half to make a card. I like the variety of colors too.
Leah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 11:51 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I guess I haven't run into any of those that hate it - I like many of their stacks, although I usually only get their patterned papers because I use mostly SU cardstock to match my inks. I love some of their stacks and have quite a few along with my BG and others (yes, I am a junky too!)

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 01:30 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

i love them too - i have found the opposite - seems people go nuts for them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 01:48 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I love DCWV, even the ugly paper, lol. I use it to make envies or do test cuts, stamping or technique with it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 04:52 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I don't mind that people like certain things. We are all entitled to like what we like.

But I get a little out of patience when someone expresses their dislike of a product in a way that seems to include questioning the taste and/or judgment of someone who uses and likes that product.
THANK YOU!!! I am so tired of the patronizing attitude of some people around here about certain products that some days I am not sure I want to come back here.

Those who use "only the best" seem to forget that many of us must be careful with our money and use what we can afford.

There is also the fact that some of us may just prefer our own choices over what is deemed the "best" by group consensus.

I agree totally- I wish these folks would read their posts before they hit the submit button and realize how offensive they are in the WAY they express their preferences.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 06:19 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks everyone for posting. I have just found so many talk negative about DCWV and have always wondered why? I am glad to hear I am not the only one to like these papers. I will say I have never heard anyone before now, say they love the papers. Like I said in first post... I like thier papers, but I am a total paper junkie! I have more paper then I could ever use in this lifetime or the next,lol. I use all different brands of paper also.
Thanks
Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 06:36 AM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

I haven't heard anything negative about DCWV, personally! I love it!
I just hate to waste ANYTHING, though, and it makes me cringe to think of all that good paper going into the landfill (the ones that aren't your favorites). I tend to give it to someone else, or use it on SOMEthing, and I only buy the stacks that I think I will use a lot of.

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 06:53 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

I use the DCWV stacks a lot too. Of course in every pack there are papers that I won't use because they aren't my personal taste, but there is enough I like in each stack to justify the cost. Don't throw away the ones you don't like! Here's what i do with some of mine:
--recently made some small gifts bags as a give away for Ladies Day at church
--the art classes at most elementary schools would love the papers
--for wrapping small gifts. My mom always wrapped gifts in our stockings and I use some for that
--belly bands around gift items
--I have a friend that works at a senior center that is always happy to get any thing I don't use
--I have shredded some to use in gift bags or boxes
--we have a group of young girls that come to our craft nights at church and they love the brighter colors and bolder patterns.

Lots of things to do with the ones you don't want on your scrapbooks or cards and they don't get thrown away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 06:54 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

I can say .. I always try to give paper to friends or relatives before tossing it in the trash. But I own way too much paper and will always buy more (its in illness I think,lol). If I can't give it away in the future I will try to give it to the local elementry school or churches for youth groups. I live in a tiny village like community in Ohio- and I only have a few friends and 2 neices that card-make or scrapbook so in the past I would toss it in the trash. I don't like the idea of it going to a landfill- but in my case most paper trash is burned here at home- so very lil goes to a landfill if any.

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 08:52 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Couldn't argee more with the above poster. Particularly cringe-worthy are those threads that usually start with, "Am I the only one who hates/doesn't get ----------" (insert popular product here). Of course, they already know that they are not so special to be the "only one", and that by posting they will start off the proverbial bandwagon. Then all the other people who feel better about themselves by putting down others in some way can climb aboard. Happens regularly.

BTW, not saying stating opinions or preferences is off, but the *way* it is done is what makes all the difference. And yes, DCWV paper has been a popular target.

Myself, I started off papercrafting with DCWV paper and still use it. Amongst others. I particularly like the mat stacks, and just bought the Creme (?), and it has some lovely paper in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 09:16 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

I buy tons of this brand! And like everyone else, when I run into those papers that just aren't my style, I use them for test cuts etc.....

I also use the Walmart Georgia Pacific white cardstock for bases, and then after I layer on some DCWV cs, or pp well..... I think my card will stand up to just about anyone's.

I also love the weight and feel of the Walmart natural elements cardstock. Love the colors. I also use some Core'dinations cardstock. I will pick up other DP only if it is on sale at Michaels or Hobby Lobby.

But I love the DCWV stacks and mat stacks!!! The only complaint I have about their textured cardstock, is that it is soooooo textured you really can't stamp on it. The image just doesn't come out crisp and clear because of the texture of the paper. So, I use it for mounting and framing.....etc.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I started out using DCWV and still use it A LOT in my card making (and will if I ever get back to scrapbooking). I love the vibrancy of the colours and the the variety of colours and textures. I mostly use their cardstock and have a little stash of the patterned papers. I'm a huge paper junkie and use any brand that suits my fancy - even Michael's brand works in some situations.

I'm with Bugga when I hear the "cardstock snobs" put down all the other brands. I just think how narrow their world is to only use whatever brand they're using. But if that's what they prefer, that's their perogative. I just wish they'd keep the negative attitude to themselves. We're here to have fun, not be put down for our choices.

Ok, thats my opinion. I'll stop now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #22  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 602 Likes on 422 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
I don't hate it. I wish I did. :rolleyes: my problem is that I buy a stack and I don't care for a lot of the papers in it, or don't think I'd use them. I keep gazing longingly at the stacks Joann's has now but I can't buy anymore until I use a bunch of my current stash of pp.

eta: I've never used the cardstock. I have so much bazzill and SU cardstock so I don't usually buy that.
I agree I end up with too much! I like their papers. The stuff I don't like I bring to the teen center for the kids to use.
Pia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 12:14 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by tchkView Post
THANK YOU!!! I am so tired of the patronizing attitude of some people around here about certain products that some days I am not sure I want to come back here.

Those who use "only the best" seem to forget that many of us must be careful with our money and use what we can afford.

There is also the fact that some of us may just prefer our own choices over what is deemed the "best" by group consensus.

I agree totally- I wish these folks would read their posts before they hit the submit button and realize how offensive they are in the WAY they express their preferences.

I've run into attitude at crops. It's funny. SU people using only SU products, CM people usin only CM. Geez, I wish people would expand their thinking instead of putting others down. I use everything and I'm loving it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 02:05 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

I like and buy DCWV papers. I like them on making cards. But I dont like using them with cricut. The cuts can be very details on cricut and since these papers are white-core. The white cores will show on the edges of the small cuts. It just bugs me, especially with those dark papers.

However, they are perfect on card layerings. The designs are just so cute, esp. the Nana Kitchen.

That's my two cents!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 05:30 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

I have some and like it. I don't think I've ever seen DCWV discussed, and I've certainly not heard anything negative.

Everyone has their preferences, so go with what you like!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Hi,

I am a DCWV addict. Is there a self help group for us???

Beaglelover
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 08:58 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

I have loads of DCWV PP and some CS. When I started out, I didn't want to spend too much and DCWV seemed to be the most reasonable option. I haven't yet exhausted the PP and so even though I like all those Basic Grey lines, don't want to buy them till I deplete the DCWV stack! Sometimes the thinness of the PP does bug me though.

Like others there are PP that I don't like and I have no idea what to do with them.

I don't like the textured CS from DCWV, only the non-textured one; but don't seem to find that anymore. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2009, 01:37 AM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

I too buy paper that I like and that suits my project and have bought DCWV PP stacks for specific themes in the past and have generally been happy with the paper. The stacks have lots of variety and are great value. When the patterned part of the paper 'chips' away I generally just ink the edges to overcome the white core showing.

The one thing I have noticed about the paper stacks is that not all the stacks are 'acid & lignan free'. They are either marked 'acid & lignan free', 'acid free' or have no indication of acid content on the package at all. As a scrapbooker who is fussy about the type of paper being used with my photos, I do have to check carefully before buying their paper to make sure I get the photo safe paper only. For my card making it's not an issue, but I tend to only buy photo safe paper so I dont have to worry about keeping my card stash separate from my scrapbooking stash. If they could be consistent with their paper quality, I'd certainly buy more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2009, 01:53 AM   #29  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cerridwen3301View Post
i love them too - i have found the opposite - seems people go nuts for them!
I agree. I haven't really seen people hating it. I seem to remember reading threads about how much paper people have, and they measured it in inches. Lots of their 20 inches of paper was from DCWV stacks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2009, 05:39 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

The ONLY thing I don't like about them is that they are apparently coated with some sort of pheromone that makes them impossible to resist Especially some of the newish designs with the glitter and embossing - ooh lah lah. Since I only buy them on sale or with a coupon, it's a honking lot of paper for the money; the patterns I'm not so fond of I use for testing, or for envelopes (white side out, patterned side in)

I tend not to use their plain cardstock for card bases, because it's a little lightweight for that; I prefer the lighter-weight stock for my layers though. And I do buy the cheap cardstock packs from Michaels and Joanns for the same reason.

I think some of the "bashing" of DCWV isn't so much that people hate the paper; it's more of a "what was I thinking buying so much of this" kind of regret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2009, 06:48 AM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

I think that when most people started out, they used the cheaper stuff, but have since moved on to better quality, and more expensive papers. For some people, they don't "need" the other stuff, they are happy with the DCWV. I say to each their own! There is a ton of wonderful stuff out there and its not how much you paid for it, or what brand it is that matters; It's what you make with it, and how it makes you feel while you're making.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2009, 07:14 AM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

I love the paper stacks from DCWV, but I'm not crazy about their white-core CS stacks, but then I don't care for CTMH's white-core CS either, so it's not just the DCWV CS!

I prefer solid core CS, and I own all the SU classic ink pads, markers, and all the matching CS.

I use the DCWV paper stacks all the time because the papers coordinate with each other and I can usually find SU CS to match it!

I also love the fact that I now have lots and lots of DP without paying a big price for it. I'm just getting into scrapbooking and it works great for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2009, 07:16 AM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

I have loads of DCWV in my stash. I also buy other brands too like Basic Grey, K & Co, Imaginisce, PTI, etc. I especially like the glitter cs and specialty papers. DCWV cs are easy to match with any designer paper becomes they come in all kinds of color. Plus they are nicely textured and comes with white core that can be easily distressed. I do have some printed paper as well and the ones that I don't use I won't worry because I can use them to make envelopes :-D
Old 11-02-2009, 09:35 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use it too. Sometimes it is hard to match with a coordinating cardstock but the New Christmas stack is gorgeous. I have made hundreds of Christmas cards for the troops already with it.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2009, 10:10 AM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

This year's DCWV Christmas Collection is Gorjuss!! I have gotten 3 stacks already. Can't wait to make some Christmas Cards with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2009, 07:24 AM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am certainly not a paper snob! I like all kinds of DP's! I even like Dollar Store DP packs! Some are wonderful, very pretty, and whimsical! But I really like the DCWV brand, and lately do they have a wonderful selection! I buy what appeals to my eyes at the time. I am a paper junkie, and I think most of us are! I just drool in the paper sections of all the stores I patronize! I think that's where I spend most of my money. It sounds so cheap, but it always adds up, and I am always happy with my purchases! I love high quality papers as much as I love the what some may consider lower quality. If it appeals to my eyes at the time, it's why I buy it! I know papers come in strengths, weight, and styles. Cardstock is the same way for me. I will find a way to make it work nicely and look good too, if that is what I like at the time! I really think most of us are this way!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2010, 12:42 AM   #37  
Cardstock Collector

I actually love DCWV, but about half of their papers match what I like. That said, I have sold through consignment and online the papers I don't use, which have always--to date--paid for the original purchase of the stack. Also, I love the joann.com sales on the paper, so essentially with a little amount of work I get the paper for free.

I just have a question, lovely community--how can I purchase a stack specific to Michaels when I am overseas (military)? I don't have friends or family who know the difference between cardstock and regular paper, so that is out. Is there a website someone knows of?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2010, 02:17 AM   #38  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by vannykView Post
I like and buy DCWV papers. I like them on making cards. But I dont like using them with cricut. The cuts can be very details on cricut and since these papers are white-core. The white cores will show on the edges of the small cuts. It just bugs me, especially with those dark papers.

However, they are perfect on card layerings. The designs are just so cute, esp. the Nana Kitchen.

That's my two cents!
This is what I was going to say too. I have never heard anything negative about DCWV, but I just started using a cricut and noticed that they don't work well together for detailed cuts. When the cricut cuts, it kind of starts separating the top colored layer from the white core. I haven't tried with other brands of white-core papers, but I imagine it would be the same. Other than that, I love DCWV stacks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2010, 03:21 AM   #39  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

I thumb through the stacks at JoAnn's and think they are beautiful, with an amazing variety of colors and styles. I don't buy them because they don't match SU! cardstock too well and there are often too many papers in a stack I don't think and I would use and, if I remember right, they are single-sided designs and I prefer double-sided papers. However, you cannot argue with the value!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2010, 04:09 AM   #40  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I just bought a stack of glitter DCWV at Joannes. Got it for $8.49 because it was on sale for 40 or 50% off (can't remember) and then I had another coupon for 20% off my total purchase price since I just signed up to get their emails! I also bought a small stack called Linen Closet. Have you seen that stack? GORGEOUS! I don't like it in the big stack, but the larger size is more for scrapbookers. I only make cards so the smaller stack has smaller designs. Make sense? It is such a great stack, I bought two! I prefer SU for card base, but not because I need to have the "best". More because I like the way it works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes