Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-28-2009, 01:53 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For the love of God/ 12 x 12 trimmers

Can someone please tell me where I can find a trimmer that cuts a straight line. I have been a scrabooker/cardmaker for 12 plus years and I have only found 1 trimmer I was happy with unfortunately the swing arm broke on it.
I have had:
2 fiskars, the kind with the swing arm that the liitle balde runs in the track. Not really happy with either of them the plastic thingy the blade runs in always bows for me. The last one the blades wouldn't even stay in the track half the time.

1 Carl the big desk top model. Never really cut straight and wasn't portable. Still kicking around here somewhere.

1 Tonic 12-inch Guillotine Paper Trimmer the one that has the handle and the measurment bar in the back and you attach them. This one is not to bad but I hate the way the 6" measurment section is missing half of the measurments as this is where the bar attaches. Yes I am ruler challanged so I am sure part of this is user error.

2 cutterpedes (I think they are now called cricut, but to me cricut is the electronic die cut machine) actually this was my favorite cutter until the swing arm broke on mine and I got the second one and it never really cut straight.

1 Making memories This is my newest cutter and I had heard so many good things and waited so long and now I am just disapointed. On the side that folds out the top black plastic piece is on crooked. I can tell becuse when it first starts out you can see all the little mm lines but by the time you get to the far left you can no longer even see the lines. I don't use them to measure but I do use it to bump my paper against. When I contacted MM about it the rep told me that they didn't reccomend using the palstic piece for cutting and that she checked the ones they had and they were all like that :???:
I've also owned a couple others that were cheapy ones that were so bad I trashed them and forgot about them.

So tell me what cutter do you use. Also if you have the MM trimmer does yours have the same issue with the black plastic piece?
TIA!
SU ROCKS!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2009, 01:56 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the 12 ' Tonic and I took a fine point sharpie to write the numbers on the 6" mark. For smaller than 6 x 4 nothing is better than the guillotine Creative Memories.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2009, 02:08 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I had the same problem with straight cutting too. I have this one and LOVE it. I've found that I prefer the rotary cutting system over the blades. Blades seems like they tear the paper, whereas the rotary is rolling over and cutting it very crisply. I also have this one, but I found that with it being only about 6 inches wide, when you use the swing arm thing and cut, there is not enough of an edge to line the paper against and hold it firmly. hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2009, 02:39 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 76 Likes on 22 Posts

I had the same frustrations! I tried most of the ones you tried. I ended up buying a dahle. It is the best cutter I have ever had. It cuts straight everytime and can cut up to 3-4 sheets of cardstock at once. The only down side is it can't cut smaller pieces. Two inches is hard but can be done. Anything smaller is impossible.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2009, 02:45 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

My Making memories trims really nice and straight, however, I have a love/hate relationship with it. It cuts beautiful crisp straight lines BUT and the big but is that hideous, mind bending screeching that I can't stand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2009, 02:56 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I just purchased the Cutterpede because it was recommended for straight cuts...don't know what the deal is, but I can't even get it to cut through my cardstock!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberLady603View Post
My Making memories trims really nice and straight, however, I have a love/hate relationship with it. It cuts beautiful crisp straight lines BUT and the big but is that hideous, mind bending screeching that I can't stand.
Have I got a tip for you! This really works. Spray some Pledge on a paper towel. Rub it carefully all along the metal arm that the blade housing slides along. Magic - no more awful noise.

I first did this with 3 in one oil, and it works too, but the Pledge is easier and not so messy.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2009, 03:09 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I will have to try it. I oiled it once and it was better but still awful but I'll bet I was too stingy with the oil. LOL and it probably didn't help that the only oil I could find was vegetable oil so I didn't dare put too much on. Pledge sounds promising. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Have I got a tip for you! This really works. Spray some Pledge on a paper towel. Rub it carefully all along the metal arm that the blade housing slides along. Magic - no more awful noise.

I first did this with 3 in one oil, and it works too, but the Pledge is easier and not so messy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2009, 03:18 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have/use the the Tonic 12" guillotine because,for the part, it cuts the heavier c/s. Had issues with the measuring thing at the top that was about 1/8" off but called the company and it was replaced. Also, had a spring break on the arm somewhere that was not visible but called and it was replaced again.

Have a nice, new Dahle 15E (?) but it doesn't have fine enough measurements. Only goes down to 1/4" increments.

I have a Fiskars like Bingaling but kept cutting my fingers when I replaced the blades (so I could use a decorative blade). At least I know that the blades were sharp but got tired of always having a bulky bandaid on.

When you find ultimate paper trimmer at a reasonable price, let us know. I know that some of the crafters here have nice heavy duty ones but I only craft for myself so can't justify paying alot just for cards/boxes for friends or the annual church bazaar boutique items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2009, 04:10 PM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

I have the same problem! I had some Xactos that I swore by, but this last one is crooked on the one end...the only problem is I can't find replacement blades, so once they are dull, the cutter is useless. I can only find the cutters on ebay now. so sad :(

I have a Fiskars with the pointy blade that I find frustrating (it tends to bow, like you said), although it does come in handy for doing the inside of a frame because the markings are on the arm also.

I also have one of those big rotary ones, like the rotary Fiskars recommended above (with the rubbery thing that you have to replace occasionally, where the blade does the cutting), that I do not like for several reasons: 1, there is no marking for where it is cutting! Once you've cut a few times, there is now a mark on the rubber thing, but to me there needs to be a mark on the cutter showing where it is cutting!; 2, the cuts are not clean and sharp--almost like tearing; 3, it is bulky, not portable, and 4, the part where you bump your paper against the base is not very high, so I often miss it and it is crooked.

So, the Xacto was my perfect solution (other than this last one I got) but alas is not able to be found anymore.

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2009, 04:17 PM   #11  
Forum Fanatic

oh, I forgot to mention that I have to press down and use a lot of pressure with the big rotary blade one, which I do not have to do with the other ones. My table is a bit wobbly so I have to use it on the floor...ugh

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I feel your pain, as so many of us do... I'm back to my original 12" Fiskars rotary trimmer for now. DH added an adjustable shim so that I could set it up nice & square, & it seems to be doing the trick.

As for the MM trimmer, if you flip it over you can loosen the screws on the black guide. I found it was easiest if I left the trimmer face up but hanging over the edge of a table. Then I got down underneath to loosen the screw, adjusted the guide, then slowly tightened the screws. It's really hard to tighten without moving the guide, which is why I had better success leaving it on the table. This helped me get things square again. I don't use the MM though because it munches my thick cardstock. Even after removing the rail & readjusting...

nina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2009, 08:12 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

The swing arm on my Cutterpede just broke again. I emailed the company, they told me to just send them back the whole thing and they'll send me a new one, which I thought was rather nice and I'll take them up on that offer. I am frustrated, though, that the arm keeps breaking! This is the 3rd time. Before they just sent me replacement arms.

Other than that swing arm trouble, I LOVE my cutterpede!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2009, 08:30 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

WOW part of me is so saddened to hear that I am not the only one having issues with trimmers, but part of me is glad that I just don't have some kind of mental condition that prevents me from cutting a straight line ;).
I think it is to bad with so many cutters on the market that they can't just make one that consistently makes straight cuts and doesn't break. While still being reasonably priced. Really is it so much to ask? Or do they do it on purpose so we have to continue buying cutters?
Anyway thank you all for your suggestions. I will give the ones with the MM trimmer a try and see if I can get it going right.
In the mean time I think I will try the fiskars portable one with the rotary blade and the swing out arm. My friend had one at crop last week and I used it and it seemd to work really well. Or maybe I should just save up for the Dhale one. HMM I see the hunt for the perfect cutter will go on.
Thanks again ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

I have the making memories one and I love it, but you have to learn to not use the top for cutting. I actually don't think it's designed for that (quite frankly, I think it would be downright impossible to calibrate it that way). Anyhow, use the printed grid to line up your cuts and see if you aren't loads more successful that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2009, 11:35 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Well...I have been stamping longer than you...and I am in exactly the same boat...have tried ALL on your list and others...spent squillions on trying to get something which would cut straight for moe than the first dozen cuts!!!!

I am just using an al cheapo guillotine at the moment and it isnt tooo bad....but I still have to trim trim trim...to nothingness sometimes.....

So I am most interested in the replies...I would so love to have something I could put my trust in!

Michelle

Quote:

Originally Posted by mandmroseView Post
Can someone please tell me where I can find a trimmer that cuts a straight line. I have been a scrabooker/cardmaker for 12 plus years and I have only found 1 trimmer I was happy with unfortunately the swing arm broke on it.
I have had:
2 fiskars, the kind with the swing arm that the liitle balde runs in the track. Not really happy with either of them the plastic thingy the blade runs in always bows for me. The last one the blades wouldn't even stay in the track half the time.

1 Carl the big desk top model. Never really cut straight and wasn't portable. Still kicking around here somewhere.

1 Tonic 12-inch Guillotine Paper Trimmer the one that has the handle and the measurment bar in the back and you attach them. This one is not to bad but I hate the way the 6" measurment section is missing half of the measurments as this is where the bar attaches. Yes I am ruler challanged so I am sure part of this is user error.

2 cutterpedes (I think they are now called cricut, but to me cricut is the electronic die cut machine) actually this was my favorite cutter until the swing arm broke on mine and I got the second one and it never really cut straight.

1 Making memories This is my newest cutter and I had heard so many good things and waited so long and now I am just disapointed. On the side that folds out the top black plastic piece is on crooked. I can tell becuse when it first starts out you can see all the little mm lines but by the time you get to the far left you can no longer even see the lines. I don't use them to measure but I do use it to bump my paper against. When I contacted MM about it the rep told me that they didn't reccomend using the palstic piece for cutting and that she checked the ones they had and they were all like that :???:
I've also owned a couple others that were cheapy ones that were so bad I trashed them and forgot about them.

So tell me what cutter do you use. Also if you have the MM trimmer does yours have the same issue with the black plastic piece?
TIA!
SU ROCKS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2009, 04:00 AM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 585 Likes on 240 Posts

I'm going through this same cutter dilemma now, too. I had a MM trimmer for about 2 years and first the markings rubbed off then the blade guide broke off so it's truly dead. I'm back to using a six year old Fiskars. Here are my requirements and I will post a photo when I find it:
rotary
cuts straight
cuts cardstock
at least 5 1/2 wide base before arm/attachment is used for cutting cards quickly
folds out somehow to full 12" across
Am I asking too much of a tool? I wish manufacturers read these posts!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2009, 05:23 AM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

I have the EXACT same problem I am NOT happy with how my CS moves around in my cutters while I am trying to cut the paper.. YES i am holding the paper down while I am cutting. The guilotine is good for cutting SINGLE sheets of heavy CS, but for cutting more than one sheet of CS... No I am not happy.

TO be clear I have the fiscars blade cutter (hate that thing, but still need it for making holes it he middle of pages) Centerpede rotary cutter (the blade on that is too small for my liking and I hate how I have to keep lifting the swing arm up and down and up and down and up and down) I have a fiscars Gillotine cutter as well I only use that for cutting REALLY thick chipboard or if I need exactly Precise single CS slices.

For me the straightest cutter and the one that I swear by is my CARL rotary cutter that I got from Staples! You can even buy different blades for it.. I have three that I use the most and always carry with me.. a backup straight blade, a preforating blade and a scoring blade.

My Carl Rotary cutter blade is about 2 inches in diameter as opposed to the centerpede one I think it's less than an inch in diameter. also my carl rotary cutter "arm" is spring loaded... so I just slip my CS under the "arm" then
just push the arm down flat to Cut and then release and the springs lift it up just high enough for me to slide the CS out. I have the 13in long one (I think overall dimensions are 15in by 5 in) one that has a swing out ruler that will measure up to 14in wide
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2009, 05:44 AM   #19  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd highly recommend the SU Tabletop Cutter. Worth every penny. Best one I've ever used, and it never needs sharpening and even cuts chipboard. I have probably saved at least the purchase price in refill blades for other cutters I no longer need.

Sale A Bration is coming up--treat yourself to the cutter and get a free stamp set, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2009, 07:17 AM   #20  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWTW JunkieView Post
I'd highly recommend the SU Tabletop Cutter. Worth every penny. Best one I've ever used, and it never needs sharpening and even cuts chipboard. I have probably saved at least the purchase price in refill blades for other cutters I no longer need.

Sale A Bration is coming up--treat yourself to the cutter and get a free stamp set, too!
She listed this cutter in the initial post and her reasons for disliking it:

Quote:

The 12 x 12 Tonic, for me, is wonderful. If you watch Joann's online, you can use a coupon and get it for a great price - even better if they are running a shipping special. I got mine for around $40, and after a year it's still cutting nice and straight and sharp.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2009, 07:41 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

I was thinking that Tonic was the company that made SU!'s tabletop cutter?! You know how they contract out their product makers ( EK punches, stamp-ama-jig....)

I wonder what company makes CM small trimmer because it is AWESOME. Perfect square angle cuts. Wonder if they make a large trimmer?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2009, 07:51 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

I actually have the SU tabletop cutter as 11Valerie11 said. I do agree that it is a good cutter in that it cuts pretty much anything you put into it.
Some one sugested taking a fine pint sharpie and making some of the lines that are missing and I am going to try doing that.
Quote:

have the making memories one and I love it, but you have to learn to not use the top for cutting. I actually don't think it's designed for that (quite frankly, I think it would be downright impossible to calibrate it that way). Anyhow, use the printed grid to line up your cuts and see if you aren't loads more successful that way
This is exactlly what the rep from MM told me when I contacted them. Every cutter I've used for the past 12 years you have lined the paper up at the top. It's not only where the measurments are(of course there are also big long lines on the board of the cutter for measuring as well lol) but how you also get a right angle for a straight cut. I am trying to re-train myself not to use the top as a brace on this cutter. But it's hard to teach and old gal new tricks lol.
I am hoping that between filling in some lines on the Tonic and re-learning not to use the top piece on the MM that I will have 2 wonderful cutters to use. It's just getting the kinks worked out :rolleyes:.
I guess my frustration comes in that with each cutter it seems like the greatest thing since sliced bread. that I will finally be able to get a straight cut every time and the measurments will be perfect. But it just never happens. Of course I think I would need eyes that actually reads the ruler markings right ever time first too and for some reason they never include the new eyes with the cutters:-D.
Thank you everyone for your ideas and suggestions I do appreciate them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2009, 08:47 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile I have tryed several-Cutterpede is pretty good

I have tryed several over the past 5 years. I have the Fiskars paper trimmer- and hate it- it never cuts straight. I also have a fiskars gullatine cutter (the small card size is is ok for small cuts- but the blade can't be replace so I will never buy it again. My first one was a provo craft one- I really like it but found the replacement blades can be difficult to find- so it just sits in my craft room. I purchased the Cutterpede about 6 months ago and really like it.
It was the first rotary blade paper trimmer I have owned. The paper stays in place fairly good. I have 6 different cutting blades for variety. The blades are very cheap to replace and my LCC shop sells them- so there is no waiting time when 1 dulls. The cuts are not perfectty straight(every time) but I am starting to believe the more I read that no paper trimmer cuts straight all the time. I beleieve that is the arms breaks like alot have complained about I will replace it- it is the best one I have tryed so far.

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2009, 09:12 AM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

I've never found a trimmer I like either. I have the Tonic guillotine and absolutely hate it. There's a nick or something on the blade attached to the base and it cuts that top corner all wonky and the top is always shorter than the bottom. Hopefully our pleas will be heard someday!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by mandmroseView Post
If that's your only problem with the Tonic, then you're in luck - you can get the one with the 12" base.

I assumed you used the one with a 6" base that expands to 12" - like this one:
http://www.scrapbookingalley.com/product/EP4508744.htm
This is the exact same one as the SU! one, just a different color. Tonic makes the cutter for SU!

Well, Tonic also makes one that is a solid, one-piece 12"x12" base. It looks like this:
http://www.scrapbookingalley.com/product/EP4508745.htm

I bought the full 12" base about a month ago and am LOVING it. It cuts tiny shreds of paper, it cuts straight, the whole base is gridded so I can line up the paper easily and it's safe! I chomped it down on my hand HARD the other day on accident when I didn't realize part of my hand was hanging over. The spot turned bright red and was a bit painful, but the skin was broken AT ALL. I could NOT believe it. If it had been my old Fiskars guillotine, I just know I'd have a huge deep cut right now. So far, it is the best, BEST investment I've made!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

I am SO waiting for the Genesis to be available again. I have heard such wonderful things about it, never heard a negative word (except for the price...). I keep checking their website and hoping....

joy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2009, 02:27 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

My biggest problem is finding a really good, affordable, rotary cutter where the swing arm (if there is one) doesn't break but most importantly, where I don't have to change out the blades, just the shuttles. I can't handle touching the actual blade. I will get cut every single time, guaranteed. So since the Cutterpede has the shuttles, I stick with it. I just might start saving (after I buy my Bosskut Gazelle) for a nice table-top rotary. Only problem is, where on EARTH will I put it? ROFL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2009, 03:29 PM   #28  
Glitter Guru

I have an Exacto with laser guide. I set the laser out of the box and have had great cuts ever since.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/x-acto-laser-trimmer/

I got mine at Office Max (or Office Depot, I get those confused).

For less exact measurements, I use a Fiskars desktop cutter with an arm that swings out for measurements to 12". I also have an old guillotine cutter, like the kind at school, for heavy-duty stuff and cutting multiple sheets of paper. It's a little harder to get an exact cut on it because there's a gap between the arm and the base, but it's been a reliable cutter for about 15 years now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2009, 03:45 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: In my stamp room, stamping, painting, and gluing... with the dogs playing under my feet....

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberLady603View Post
I love my MM cutter too.... the problem with the screech has an easy fix.... there's a thread somewhere on here that explains it.... a little sewing machine oil or wd40 is all it takes. When first read the thread, mine wasn't screeching. Then it started, so I searched on wd40 and found it! DH took care of it for me.... perfecto.

As for the plastic edge guard, mine is on perfectly straight and the mm lines are completely visible. Sorry yours are a problem. That would bother me to the extreme.

I had the Fiskars guillotine - the fanciest one they make - hated it, gave it away. My big Carl was terrific for years, just recently started warping cuts. Not sure what's up with that....

I love the little cutterpede, wish I could find a larger version of it. Forget the Martha Stewart and Fiskars rotary cutters where the blade cuts into a channel. The rotary cutters that I think work best have a mat that has to be replaced that the cutter cuts against.

The cutterpede has shuttles you change, not a blade. Has anyone seen a large version of this?

I'm looking at getting a large Tonic guillotine for cutting panels....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2009, 06:36 PM   #30  
Kookie Creator

http://www.staples.com/X-Acto-12-Hea...?cmArea=SEARCH

I bought this X-Acto for the office because needed to cut binder spines.
It does a straight cut on cover stock and I've brought in things from home to cut because it does a better job than my Carl cutter or any of the Fiskars cutters I have rattling around the house.

The thing I like best are the grooves to be sure that you have the bottom straight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2009, 08:34 PM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

I have the SU Tabletop Cutter. It is the best I've tried and I've tried quite a few. It's worth the $$ and I love that I never need to replace blades. It's sturdy enough that there isn't anything that can bend or warp like on my Fiskars cutters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 12:36 AM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I went through several trimmers too that all cut crooked. I bought a Martha Stewart craft knife, craft mat and Tim Holtz ruler. I have straight cuts and less frustration.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 05:08 AM   #33  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitziView Post
I've never found a trimmer I like either. I have the Tonic guillotine and absolutely hate it. There's a nick or something on the blade attached to the base and it cuts that top corner all wonky and the top is always shorter than the bottom. Hopefully our pleas will be heard someday!
If you email the company they will help you. They have been quite responsive to me, and are replacing my whole trimmer as we speak.

[email protected]

Good luck,
Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 10:55 AM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

This is a little off topic. Has anyone ever noticed that sometimes the paper just isn't cut straight to begin with. I have noticed more and more of my SU cardstock isn't straight right out of the package! They seem to be getting worse about product quality, even some of my stamps, the rubber doesn't stick to the foam. My older ones are MUCH better!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 11:13 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Re: Tonic guillotine... I find the 6 inch dilemma annoying but it's the best cutter I've ever had..

Re: Making Memories.... I have received 3 (YES 3!!!) cutters (I bought one, it sucked because the black lines rubbed off, they sent me one to replace it, it cut crooked, and then sent a 3rd) WHICH STILL CUTS CROOKED!!! I thought it was ME for the longest time, then I realized that the black at the bottom was glue crookedly to the base. Stupidest thing ever!!!!

So... Tonic is my fav. Even though i have tendonitis and it hurts my hand, it's still the best cut..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 11:16 AM   #36  
Hardware Hotshot

I have TWO that I LOVE.
Here:
http://www.dickblick.com/products/x-acto-laser-trimmer/

and here:
http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/fisk...kers-brand-new

I've had the X-Acto about 3 years, and am very happy with it. Earlier in the year we had to move our crop location, and I didn't have room at the crop to bring it. So I researched, and found the Fiskar's rock paper trimmer. When I was searching, I found it, and another Fiskar's trimmer EXACTLY like it, only it was just black and silver, and instead of an mp3 dock, it had a space for extra blades. It was about $30 cheaper, and I would have rather had it, but I found the mp3 one on ebay for cheap, so that's the one I got.
Both of these trimmers cut straight and neat. No little fuzzies. Also it's very easy to get a 90 degree cut (easy to measure.)
I like the X-acto better for cutting down a 12" piece of cardstock, because the measurements go all the way to 12". The Fiskar's almost does, but it misses it by less than an inch. I love the Fiskar's for cutting smaller strips of cardstock. The bar locks down, and holds your paper down tight. Nothing is going to move it while it's cutting your paper. I've cut 1/2" strips in half using it, and I've never been able to accurately do this on any other trimmer.
Also, I love the portability of the Fiskar's. It's large, but it has a handle, and the blade locks down. When I take it to crop, I set it beneath the table until I need it, set up like a briefcase, leaning against a table leg.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 11:21 AM   #37  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have to say I am LOL at a trimmer that has an MP3 doc and speakers!

I have one of the old (charcoal and orange), original Fiskar's rotary trimmers, with the replaceable cutting strip, that still works perfectly. I use it only when I want to have a decorative edge using one of the replaceable blades I own. For regular cutting, I prefer the Tonic 12 x 12 guillotine, not the 6" with the swing arm, but the full size trimmer.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 11:23 AM   #38  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have noticed that paper out of the pack is off by as much as 1/16 of an inch lately! That drove me crazy until I finally measured the whole piece...now I square them all up before a cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #39  
Hardware Hotshot

Here is the Fiskar's, minus the mp3 dock/speakers:
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...43&PID=1992680
It is $60, vs. the $80 for the mp3 one. Not as pretty either, but honestly, I'd rather have the blade storage than the mp3 dock!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #40  
Kookie Creator

I'm glad to know it's not just me! I have the Carl RT200, Fiskars Ultimate Craft Trimmer, a couple of smaller Carl rotary trimmers, the Fiskars with the straight blade in the track, and the 12 x 12 Tonic Guillotine. Right now I am using the Tonic trimmer but I didn't care for the measurements being on the metal at the top and not on the base itself, so I bought a right-to-left adhesive tape measure from a woodworking supply and stuck it down at the top. I love it! Every now and then it chews up the paper towards the bottom of a long cut, but I think it's user error. I tend to bring the blade down too quickly and find that I get a smoother cut if I slow down a bit and also angle the blade toward the base a bit.The next best one, strangely enough, is the Fiskars Ultimate Craft Trimmer, which is almost impossible to find now. I don't like replacing blades and cutting strips, though. But it cut straight and has a pull out 4 or 6 inch ruler on the RIGHT side of the blade, which I really like. I wish the Tonic had that.

Why can't someone combine all of our good ideas into one fabulous, cuts-straight-every-time and doesn't-cost-an-arm-and-a-leg trimmer??? So many of the trimmers only measure 8 or 9 inches on the left and if I want to cut a piece of paper to 10.5 inches it's not possible. That's what I don't like about the Carl, it's not wide enough.

Tap, tap, is this thing on - manufacturers, are you listening????
Reply With Quote Likes