Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-13-2009, 05:19 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Removing Paper from Cricut Mat

I just got my Pink Cricut Expression today (yay!). It works beautifully, but I have a problem with removing paper off the mat.

I stuck on a whole 12x12 sheet of paper but only cut out one corner of the paper. I took off the shape and it came out fine. (I haven't got a tool kit or spatula yet.) But I had a huge problem removing the rest of the paper off the mat. In the end I had to "peel" it off and some places got torn, some bits got left behind, and the main part of it that came off was all warped and unusable.

Am I doing something wrong? How do I get the paper off? Or am I not supposed to use a big piece of paper if I want to just cut one shape?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 05:58 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes - the new mats are super sticky. The tool kit is very helpful, but some regular household products can also help (a metal spatula can do more than flip bacon! - use it to help lift up the paper by placing the mat/paper on a flat surface and gently using the spatula). In general, I save a new mat for CS, and use my older mats for paper.
Also, you CAN just use a small piece of paper with the Expression. Notice on the mat that there is a corner that says something to the effect of "place paper here" - place whatever size paper square in that corner, load your mat with making sure the arrow is pointing towards the machine, and then set your paper size (use arrow buttons on the right side of the machine to tell the machine what the paper size is and then press "set paper size" [one of the buttons on the right hand side of the maching]). Good luck and happy cutting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 04:28 PM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Smile Thank you!

Thanks so much Susan. Glad to know I wasn't doing anything wrong! I'll try using my big BBQ spatula next time before I get my tool kit. Lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2009, 01:35 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Congratulations on your new Pink E!!!!!

First take an old T-shirt and dab the mat. The T-shirt takes some of the sticky off.

You don't need the tool kit. Trust me I just gifted the contents to my DH & Mom.

The tools you need for your mat are a dental pick. Trust me on this that will save you so much headache getting those little pieces off of the mat

I would recommend the Spatula. You can use the Cricut or the Making Memories Slice one. It is a must have in a die crafter's toolbox. It's thin metal that fits under the sheets perfectly and you won't rip your paper.

I use my Spatuala on my Slice, Gazelle, & Cricut mats.

To get all those little bits of paper off just use an old gift or credit card to scrape them off.

Wash your mat in warm soapy water using a mild detergent, let air dry and she should be good as new.

HTH!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #5  
Cardstock Collector

Smile Thanks!

Thanks lylacfey!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2009, 06:00 PM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I use a putty knife to remove the paper. It's super sharp so be careful, but it works great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2009, 07:35 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Check out the video at the bottom of this page.

http://cricutdan.blogspot.com/

He shows you how to condition your mat. I just bought an Expression, so I didn't try it yet, but several on here and the cricut message board did with good luck.

As for getting the paper off, try the pampered chef plastic scraper. You know, the ones that come with their stones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 03:25 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I wouldn't do that with my mat. It removes the stickiness, which is the point of the mat in the first place.
JMHO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 04:41 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Congratulations on your new Pink E!!!!!

First take an old T-shirt and dab the mat. The T-shirt takes some of the sticky off.

You don't need the tool kit. Trust me I just gifted the contents to my DH & Mom.

The tools you need for your mat are a dental pick. Trust me on this that will save you so much headache getting those little pieces off of the mat

I would recommend the Spatula. You can use the Cricut or the Making Memories Slice one. It is a must have in a die crafter's toolbox. It's thin metal that fits under the sheets perfectly and you won't rip your paper.

I use my Spatuala on my Slice, Gazelle, & Cricut mats.

To get all those little bits of paper off just use an old gift or credit card to scrape them off.

Wash your mat in warm soapy water using a mild detergent, let air dry and she should be good as new.

HTH!
I'm a big fan of using old gift cards this way! I even use it in place of the spatula! If the paper I'm cutting is particularly thin, I use the shape that I cut out to push off the extra bits that sometimes are left behind with detailed cut outs.

I'm sure this has been addressed but the first time I use a mat, I dab my hand all over it and the oils from my hand really help with that stickiness. After the second or third time, though, I don't have that problem and usually have to wash my mat about every 10 times I use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 04:43 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is just my opinion, but putting your hands or clothing all over a sticky mat is foolish. The mat is supposed to be sticky, the point is for it to hold your paper for cutting.

If you take care in removing your paper/cardstock from the mat, no matter how sticky it is, you won't have problems.

Keep your paper and mat on a flat surface and gently work the Cricut spatula (not the pointy Slice one) under the paper/cardstock but not against the mat. Do not bring the paper/cardstock up at an angle or it will curl on you.

After removing your paper/cardstock from the sticky mat, just lay waste paper flat and remember which side was down toward the sticky mat. The paper wll flatten out (if it did curl) and be ready to use next time.

Be certain to clean all bits of paper from the sticky mat each time you cut something. I use a sticky sheet link roller to get up the tiny bits of paper.

Keep the protective plastic sheet cover on the sticky mat when not in use.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 04:44 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I wouldn't do that with my mat. It removes the stickiness, which is the point of the mat in the first place.
JMHO.
It doesn't hurt the mat. If you don't do SOMETHING to remove the inital stickiness of the mat, you will waste paper because it is difficult to remove and you tear the paper up. After you "condition" with your hand, tshirt, whatever, there is still plenty of stickiness left on the mat, it's just more manageable.
Besides, you can't really completely remove the stickiness. If you find that you "conditioned" it TOO much, you can wash it with mild soap and water and you'll find the stickiness has returned. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 09:32 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used the "Cricut Dan" Method of putting your hands all over the brand new much too sticky mats with great success. Hands have just enough oil to reduce the stickiness
to a manageable level. Your hands do not leave behind any lint like tee shirts do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2009, 09:43 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Sorry. Still not convinced. I think that guy is nuts, and kind of nasty too. I've met him in person. Anyway, I'm glad it works for you. I really don't have a problem with my mats being so sticky that they rip the paper. Whatever works, right?
Reply With Quote Likes