Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-09-2009, 12:45 PM   #121  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tick tick tick tick........I hate waiting.....tick tick tick ...........
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2009, 12:52 PM   #122  
Insane Embellisher

Received 162 Likes on 86 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by okstamperView Post
The way I was brought up was if we NEEDED or WANTED something, we had to be corrected and say it like this...I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THIS...

How come everyone says THEY NEED the item...I rather hear the words, I would love to win this Scrapbox for this ------ etc...
The rules stated that we were to try to convince the judges why we needed the Scrapbox.

QUOTE:

# Convince us all that you *need* the Scrapbox. You may include an essay, photos, video, whatever you want.
# Submit your entry and watch your thread for comments, or questions from our judges.

Finally...
A Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #123  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by okstamperView Post
The way I was brought up was if we NEEDED or WANTED something, we had to be corrected and say it like this...I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THIS...

How come everyone says THEY NEED the item...I rather hear the words, I would love to win this Scrapbox for this ------ etc...
I would love to win the Workbox from The Original Scrapbox. Why would I love to win it? Simply because I need the organization and I want a nice and safe place to craft.

I am sorry if I sounded demanding to you. It was definitely not my intention. I too, was raised not to express WANTS. However, I have come to realize since I became disabled and suffer pain EVERY day, if I don't specifically say that I NEED something or that I WANT something, people feel there is an option. For example, I was still trying not to say I WANT such and such, when I was in the hospital. It did not work. If I am hurting, or if I can't do something for myself, I MUST tell someone, so they can help me.

Being direct isn't rude, as long as there is meekness and humbleness alongside.

Again, sorry if it bothered you. I just wanted everyone to know how much winning this Workbox would mean to me.

Good luck!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2009, 05:32 PM   #124  
Insane Embellisher

Leslie,

It's been awesome playing this game. You have been an inspiration to me. If I don't win..although we know I will.....:p

And if for anything this has gotten me to realize how much I have missed coming on the site to chat with wonderful stampin friends!!

Thanks so much for your friendship and kind words.

My husband and I both said if you didn't live so far away we would come out to set the Scrapbox up for you...if you won.....But I told him don't feel bad cause you weren't winning anyway. :twisted::twisted: (Ha Ha there's a double for you).

No seriously, we would. Good luck have a good weekend - if I am extra busy this weekend..I'll see ya Monday!

MY VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8bcvPwR8x4

Finally...
A Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #125  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by in2stampsView Post
Leslie,

It's been awesome playing this game. You have been an inspiration to me. If I don't win..although we know I will.....

And if for anything this has gotten me to realize how much I have missed coming on the site to chat with wonderful stampin friends!!

Thanks so much for your friendship and kind words.

My husband and I both said if you didn't live so far away we would come out to set the Scrapbox up for you...if you won.....But I told him don't feel bad cause you weren't winning anyway. (Ha Ha there's a double for you).

No seriously, we would. Good luck have a good weekend - if I am extra busy this weekend..I'll see ya Monday!

Well, Opp, Alabama is on the map and on the road to the "beaches with the whitest sands in the world!" You are more than welcome to stop by!! Tell your hubby... that my dad, my hubby, my uncle, and my brother-in-law have all volunteered to come and put it together, plus my Mom and Aunt have volunteered to put everything together into labeled containers for me. All I will have to do is sit in my chair and direct traffic!!

How awesome is that! Oh, wait! It won't be awesome at all if I don't win!!!!! :(:confused:

But we both know I will... :twisted: MUUUU AAAAA

Thanks for the fun and friendship! Stay in touch!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #126  
Cardstock Collector

I posted m ine in the wrong place.
I guess I am too late to enter this now
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #127  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezzzbeadsView Post
I posted m ine in the wrong place.
I guess I am too late to enter this now
Actually, I think you are. I think it ended at 12 noon CST today.

I would create a thread anyway, just in case it ended up being 12 midnight CST!!

Good luck. If you can't enter, will you vote for me if I make it to the finals? Please. (Said with the shameless eyelash flapping of a small child begging for a second piece of candy... speaking of, can your vote be bought? Chocolate maybe?)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2009, 06:17 PM   #128  
Mad Swapper

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Leslie,

Share with us:
(1) why you craft
(2) what you do with your completed handcrafted projects, and
(3) what the biggest impact any of your projects has had on you, someone else, or the world at large!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2009, 07:22 PM   #129  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Hello Thumbunny!

Why I craft:

I am quoting my sign off post last night where I answered this question.

I don't complain about my lot in life. I can't. I am alive. I can walk. I can talk. I have my family around me. I am blessed. Many people would still argue and say that living with constant stinging, burning, and electrical shock pain would make them depressed, angry, or worse, faithless. Not me.

My story is simple. Because of my disease, I use crafting as a form of physical therapy. It was the most instrumental factor (after God) that allowed me to be able to feed, dress, and take care of myself again after my worst MS attack. Crafting is something I use every day to help me keep my mind off my pain, so I can reduce my need for pain medication. By focusing on creating and achieving a finished project, my emotional strength, while experiencing often excruciating pain, is kept high.

I have explained that for me to be safe in my craft room and to be able to do my daily therapy, I need the Workbox. I need the storage boxes to place items in. It is difficult for me to get boxes off higher shelves. It is unsafe for me to get heavy boxes (such as the square 18" crates I have to use now because of lack of smaller storage containers, which I have to wait for my husband to get for me). I have even told the embarrassing, painful story of being stuck on the floor for a long time because boxes and piles of things fell over on me.

Being disabled makes being organized a MUST! Having piles and stacks of supplies strewn all around makes my craft space is a fall hazard. Falls can result in more disability. Having large boxes, heavy boxes, unorganized boxes makes it difficult to use my limited energy efficiently.

Most importantly, having an unorganized space makes creating a project frustrating. I have to spend too much time and energy looking for products, when I could actually be doing a craft. Frustrations add to the pain level. Stress adds to the pain level. Physically exerting myself to gather supplies and look for products reduces the energy I have to do my therapy or, more importantly, to be with my family.

You never know someone until you walk a mile in their shoes. I am sure you all have heard this before. I wish you could see my situation first-hand. Since you can't, I ask that you do me a favor: think about what the Workbox would mean to me. Having smaller containers that would be lighter for me to get and replace by myself means safety and self-confidence. Having supplies and products organized and manageable essentially means reduced pain because of less stimulation and more therapy. Being able to put each item away each day and close the Workbox to see its beauty means less visual stress from clutter or open storage. Less visual stress means more positive emotions. More positive emotions essentially means less pain and fatigue.

What is the biggest impact my projects have had on me, someone else, or the world at large?

What do I do with my completed projects?
Over the past 4 years since I started creating almost daily, I have given projects as gifts to almost every member of my extended family. Giving a gift of two dozen handmade cards and a card organizer or card box, is a very common occurrence.
I also donate my time and projects to our local public library that has been facing harder and harder financial times over the past 4 years. They have used the finished cards or projects as fundraisers.
I have given stacks and stack to my husband's 94 year old grandmother, who takes them and shares them with her friends at the Senior Center.

Quoting previous post again.
On September 5, 2005 I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and was unable to feed, dress, or take care of myself, plus I was barely able to walk. 6 months later, by using crafting as physical therapy, I was able to bring back my independent SELF. I ask that you help me regain this crucial form of therapy by giving me the Workbox, allowing me to organize my space.

Other than the huge impact my projects have had on me, I would have to say the biggest impact one of my handmade projects has had was the time I gave a card organizer with birthday list pages for each month and 12 birthday cards, 12 sympathy cards, and 12 thank you cards to my sister-in-law's best friend. She was in a deep depression after being diagnosed with Breast Cancer (metastasized to the brain and spine). She wouldn't get dressed, take care of her kids, etc. She wouldn't do anything. I have never met this lady. I do care a lot for my sister-in-law and she was just so upset. What could I do? I can't afford flowers, I couldn't travel to Atlanta, but I can send a nice gift of cards. I gathered all the materials and cards. Boxed it up with some Bible scripture that helps me and sent it to my sister-in-law so she could pass it along to her best friend as her own. Instead, my SIL took the gift over to her BFF, explained my situation completely, and showed her the gift. The BFF somehow took inspiration from my story, the beautiful cards, and the scripture. With my SIL's help, the BFF regrouped and manged to start fighting again, after being told she might only have 2 months. That was 2 YEARS AGO!!!

You can also notice a post #106 where HOJO says that my story and ideas of crafting as therapy inspired her to get her friend more active!

Crafting is therapy for me. Mental and physical. But it can be therapeutic for anyone willing to try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2009, 05:23 AM   #130  
Gabfest Goddess

thanks for sharing...sometimes I don't stop to realize how great an impact a friendly gesture actually has...this is truly inspirational...I love to make and give things away...and I know it makes people happy to receive a gift from the heart...but this story is such an eye opener for me...thanks again for sharing...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2009, 03:28 AM   #131  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by creativepzazzView Post
Why I craft:

Crafting is therapy for me. Mental and physical. But it can be therapeutic for anyone willing to try.

I have found the same myself. Many people ask me how I find the time to stamp and craft with 5 kids. But I do,I have to,that is my therapy also. Over all these years since my 17 year old was only 2, I would put kids to bed and I worked on my stamping. For a while my husband worked night shift.

That's how I got to love cutting out those new red rubber stamp sets everyone hated to do! LOL I would offer to do it for any new customer I got that didn't have scissors or the patience to do it. I told them it was like a therapy for me. I must have cut hundreds.

Finally...
A Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2009, 04:18 PM   #132  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by in2stampsView Post
I have found the same myself. Many people ask me how I find the time to stamp and craft with 5 kids. But I do,I have to,that is my therapy also. Over all these years since my 17 year old was only 2, I would put kids to bed and I worked on my stamping. For a while my husband worked night shift.

That's how I got to love cutting out those new red rubber stamp sets everyone hated to do! LOL I would offer to do it for any new customer I got that didn't have scissors or the patience to do it. I told them it was like a therapy for me. I must have cut hundreds. [/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
I have had such a bad day today. Crafting didn't work. I had to break down and take pain medication. I HATE HATE HATE these days. The pain meds make me feel so bad. It is so rare for me to have a day this bad. Most of the time I am able to avoid the pain meds, if I craft and focus. Not today. The pain was so intense that I couldn't concentrate on my crafting.

My Big Shot and Build a Bear dies came in Friday. My daughters were cutting up a storm! I just wish I could have participated.

My new friends, will you each please pray for me to have a better week. My girls are out of school and we had such great plans to craft together!

Thanks so much. Good luck to all tomorrow!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2009, 04:26 PM   #133  
Matboard Maniac

Hope you are feeling better and keeping your fingers crossed!

If it makes you feel any better, I will let you dream of the Workbox tonight....lol.

You take care and I'll check back with ya.

Hugs
DeMaris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2009, 04:40 PM   #134  
Insane Embellisher

I will definitely be praying for you. Hoping we have good news tomorrow. I don't know what time we find out. I will be in working and then going to see my cheerleader after work until 6 pm.

See ya then!

Finally...
A Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2009, 04:49 PM   #135  
Stazon Splitcoast

Praying your week is easier on you and your not in too much pain.

Hugs to each of you!!

Maybe we will dream in concert, you can dream about my scrapbox visiting your house for a few days!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 05:38 AM   #136  
Matboard Maniac

Leslie:

Best of luck today, I will not be here immediately when they post, but there shortly after.

Big Hugs and hope you are feeling much better this morning!

Take care
Hugs
DeMaris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 06:04 AM   #137  
Stazon Splitcoast

Good luck and hope your in the top 10!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 09:13 AM   #138  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the well wishes, you guys! You are all so great. I wish you all the best!! There are so many deserving people on here, and I am humbled to be a part of the contest this far. God bless you all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 09:16 AM   #139  
Kookie Creator

I agree 100% with you...good luck ladies!!!! God Bless you ALL as well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 10:35 AM   #140  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sorry your not in the finalist, I was hoping that would be the case...

Maybe we could still stay in touch!! Hugs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 12:21 PM   #141  
Kookie Creator

I'm hoping that we all can stay in touch ... this has taught me a lot about this site, the whole thread/forum world and I've actually gotten some cleaning and organizing done in my room :-) I was hoping you and Little Booger were in the top 10 too ... but none of us are losers as I mentioned in much earlier post...we had a ball getting to where we are today. Let's see what other fun we can create on here. Have a blessed day and enjoy this beautiful day!
Reply With Quote Likes