Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-02-2009, 08:18 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to mix designer paper

I have been in such a quandry about this. How do you mix and match designer paper? I have a ton but whenever I go use it, I always just use it with regular plain ole cardstock because I am never sure how to use more than one kind of paper. Any suggestions, advice or input is appreciated! What do I look for, how do I know they match!
Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 08:43 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Mostly I mix papers from the same manufacturer, for good colour matches. Basic Grey is my favourite, but I don't necessarily stick to the same range - for example I made a card for the sketch challenge this week which mixed Christmas Cake and Perhaps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 08:51 AM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Here's a link to a challenge that we were to use dp for. Maybe this will help give you some ideas.

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 09:44 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Hmmm...I have wondered this myself. You know who always does it with such ease? Kharmagirl! Maybe you could be inspired by some of her cards. Here is her gallery:

Kharmagirl's Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 10:15 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

When you have a sketch that you're working with and there are more than 2 layers (an image layer, plus two or more others) try using a different piece of patterned paper for the two sections. To unify them you can mount them on cardstock of the same colour.

As you can see, i don't always mount my patterned papers on cardstock if they go well together. But what i DID do was distress the edges with brown!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 10:48 AM   #6  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If both patterns are "busy" or have "unique" colors then I would use papers from the same mfr (and probably from the same line or pack).

For smaller patterns, such as polka dots and stripes, if each paper has a common color, they will probably woprk well together. Also, lots of papers have a different pattern on the other side so I usually buy in multiples of two so i have more options when i go to use it.

HTH and ...

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 10:49 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I mix them all the time, just check to see if somehow the colors match and not to busy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks everyone! Keep them coming!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 11:36 AM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Vary your patterns. For example, don't use two prints with dots, rather, you might use one with dots and one with stripes. Or a plaid with a floral.

Vary background colors. If you use two papers with the same background color, there might not be enough contrast and it could start to look muddled.

Watch the scale. I find that a good general rule is to keep the pattern on your paper smaller than your focal image, otherwise your print can draw the eye away from the focal image. If you use more than one print, the sizes of the prints should vary.

A personal pet peeve of mine: If I use a print as a layer or a cardbase, I make sure that the print is even on both sides. For example, I wouldn't want a polka-dot cardbase that had 3 rows of dots showing on the left and 1 1/5 dots showing on the right.

There are lots of times when these rules don't apply, but these are my general rules of thumb.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Wow..thanks so much for all your help. I love how everyone here is so helpful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 07:04 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

I love to mix different print papers with solid cardstock. I tend to mix totally contrasting colors (i.e. red and yellow or blue and brown shades) or I mix a couple papers that have at least 1 color that matches at least 1 color on the 2nd sheet. Using a print paper first then a solid then a coordinating/contrasting print with a solid piece of cardstock for my stamped image seems to work pretty well for me. The solids separate the prints enough to make them stand out and really pop.
I also like to attach ribbon that "pulls" together the printed paper.
There's really no right or wrong. If it looks pleasing to your eye, then it's a good fit!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 08:02 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We are lucky here in St Louis to have so many very good paper shops! When I intend to mix DPs, I will buy two patterns from the same paper manufacturer. Someone above mentioned Basic Grey--they make it easy! They have terrific DP's that go together well, both in 12 x 12 sheets and in packs. But other great paper companies do it too, as well as SU! SU has lots of great DP's that go together well!
I try to venture out and look at colors first. I sort my DP by color--you know patterns in green, patterns in pink, and so on. Usually I start with a DP I think is really pretty, and look at the hues in the DP. Sometimes I see a tiny bit of a very pretty color, and I will choose another DP that has that same color and lots of times when I hold them side by side, I see they will work nicely together.
The color challenge forum might be a great place to try color combinations you have not thought of doing before-- but the challenge helps you to venture out! I have tried a few and I'm always surprised at how well the suggested color challenges work together!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 09:29 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The trick with working with colors is to not be afraid to play and experiment with them. For example, green can be an accent or a neutral and just about all tones of green go together with everything else. Just look outside at nature's vast color palette and seasonal changes! Take into account scale, intensity and depth-if everything is all the same tone and scale it can look dull.
Visit quilt shops too even if you've never touched a sewing machine. They are a riot of color and patterns.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 02:49 PM   #14  

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I always buy my DSP from Stampin' Up... comes in assortment packs and all the patterns coordinate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 03:15 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

There are so many wonderful, rich papers on the market for fall and spring. I went shopping yesterday and purchased so many different, lovely brands. Here is a link to one of the owners of PTI Inc, Nicole Heady's site where there was a whole blog entry dedicated to this very subject. Several top designers contributed with their tips on combining patterns. For those of us who have the freedom to use any designer paper we want, it is invaluable information. http://nicholeheady.typepad.com/capt...challenge
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 03:27 PM   #16  

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bichon loverView Post
There are so many wonderful, rich papers on the market for fall and spring. I went shopping yesterday and purchased so many different, lovely brands. Here is a link to one of the owners of PTI Inc, Nicole Heady's site where there was a whole blog entry dedicated to this very subject. Several top designers contributed with their tips on combining patterns. For those of us who have the freedom to use any designer paper we want, it is invaluable information. http://nicholeheady.typepad.com/capt...challenge.html
Nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
Vary your patterns. For example, don't use two prints with dots, rather, you might use one with dots and one with stripes. Or a plaid with a floral.

Vary background colors. If you use two papers with the same background color, there might not be enough contrast and it could start to look muddled.

Watch the scale. I find that a good general rule is to keep the pattern on your paper smaller than your focal image, otherwise your print can draw the eye away from the focal image. If you use more than one print, the sizes of the prints should vary.

A personal pet peeve of mine: If I use a print as a layer or a cardbase, I make sure that the print is even on both sides. For example, I wouldn't want a polka-dot cardbase that had 3 rows of dots showing on the left and 1 1/5 dots showing on the right.

There are lots of times when these rules don't apply, but these are my general rules of thumb.
thanks! I love reading these design "rules". Even when I have a pad of paper or a collection all designed to go together, I'm still befuddled! This is very helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 04:17 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

oh this is a great thread
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 04:35 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Great thread! This is definitely something I struggle with (in quilting too!).

Elizabeth (4/96)
Hannah (9/97)

Andrew (5/00)
Anthony (2/02)

Abigail ( 9/14/06)

"A word spoken in due season, how good it is!" Prov 15:23
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 04:47 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for asking this question - it's something I struggle with, as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Not much new to add, but if you are unsure, you may want to start by mixing papers from the same pack, such as Basic Grey. They usually have coordinating solids with the patterned paper, so that makes it easy. I don't CASE cards, but sometimes looking on a good website (such as this one) or a good magazine (such as Take Ten), will give you good ideas on how to mix up varied papers on the same card or project. Also, just play around. Your eyes will often tell you when something works or when it doesn't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2009, 06:34 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by bichon loverView Post
There are so many wonderful, rich papers on the market for fall and spring. I went shopping yesterday and purchased so many different, lovely brands. Here is a link to one of the owners of PTI Inc, Nicole Heady's site where there was a whole blog entry dedicated to this very subject. Several top designers contributed with their tips on combining patterns. For those of us who have the freedom to use any designer paper we want, it is invaluable information. http://nicholeheady.typepad.com/capt...challenge.html
This is awesome! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2009, 06:39 AM   #23  
Glitter Guru

I use a color wheel and just found this one on line!

http://www.scrapbook.com/color/?m=color

Also, if you have 2 of one you need one of another...like 2 organic designs then one architectual design.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2009, 07:22 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

K&Co has double-sided paper so you KNOW the two sides will go together - plus the other papers in the pack are usually themed and go quite well together. I just made a card over the weekend using three different PPs (it was from a sketch challenge a few months ago).

How to mix designer paper-sweet-day.jpg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Many excellent ideas here, I especially agree about K & Co. After having sworn off buying more designer paper, I did get one of their packs on sale at HL.

Just another tip, and again, nothing new: I think it is a good idea to have some plain, non-patterned space somewhere on your card, even if it is just the card itself that frames the patterned paper, KWIM? A plain ribbon or a strip or matting layer of plain cardstock would also work. It is hard for the eyes to focus on a profusion patterns. The clean and simple cards in the gallery here are gorgeous. Some of the CAS cards have patterned paper with dry-embossed papers and are really lovely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2009, 12:49 AM   #26  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wonderful ideas, I think maybe the differing patterns I choose are to busy, I'll have to think about the possibilities and what's been mentioned
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2009, 12:50 AM   #27  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wonderful ideas, I think maybe the differing patterns I choose are to busy, I'll have to think about the possibilities and what's been mentioned
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2009, 03:08 AM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

How do I subscribe to a thread? I don't have time to read all of this one this morning and don't want to lose it. Thanks for posting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2009, 03:30 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hsmom69View Post
How do I subscribe to a thread? I don't have time to read all of this one this morning and don't want to lose it. Thanks for posting!
Up at the top click on THREAD TOOLS - in the dropdown there is a link to click on SUBSCRIBE to this thread and then you can choose if you want daily update, instant updates or no emial notice but this thread will then be in your SUBSCRIPTIONS profile until you UNsub from it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2009, 03:31 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love to use DSP but I do have the same issue. I am going to check out PTI for DSP now. I have lots of DSP I bought at the Fiskars warehouse sales an stores.
THank you so much for starting this thread!
I am also going t ocheck out Basic Grey also
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2009, 04:59 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by hsmom69View Post
You just did by posting ;->
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2009, 05:04 AM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

meluvstamping,
Thread Tools does not give me an option to subscribe. I just reply to the thread and it becomes part of my subscriptions.

Great thread - will relook at my DP that I struggle with using - Thank You
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2009, 05:16 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowowlView Post
meluvstamping,
Thread Tools does not give me an option to subscribe. I just reply to the thread and it becomes part of my subscriptions.

Great thread - will relook at my DP that I struggle with using - Thank You
Hey Sue! Going to get to see one of your friends this weekend!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2009, 10:02 AM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Default How to mix designer paper

Color is important but so is the scale of the patterns in the paper.
Don't use all several small prints or large but use one of each and perhaps a stripe along with some solids. Lay them out and "audition" them until you find the combo you really like. Don't make it to busy or too boring.
I'm a longtime quilter and have loved picking out fabrics and papers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

I am so informal with how i put my patterns together.
the only thing that i do as far as "Rules" go, is lay them down together with the cardstock I'm using. If it looks good, GREAT! If not, try again. What's the harm in trial and error?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a question about the placement of DS paper. If using 2 different sized designs on the papers, Should the larger design be behind the smaller designed paper?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2009, 05:43 PM   #37  
Insane Embellisher

jazzytobi...I looked at your gallery and you have some beautiful cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #38  
Compulsive Stamper

I love K & Company paper pads because they have papers with patterns, dots, stripes, etc that match each other so it is really easy to combine them. I usually use the striped or dotted paper to make the background and then add embellishments or accents using the patterned paper, I also alter them a little using for example distress ink to make them pop out. I rarelly use two patterns together, the result seems too busy to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2009, 01:19 PM   #39  
Insane Embellisher

I too buy same company papers if I want to mix and match but one thing I also did is buy myself a color wheel that seemed to help me a little bit although I still tend to be a little "scared" of mixing things!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #40  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Scrapbook.com

Just to expand on the Color Wheel on Scrapbook.Com, but you can choose a paper you might have and it will tell you other companies paper match that piece of printed paper. Too cool!
Reply With Quote Likes