Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-18-2009, 10:05 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink starting out, budget?

Okay, so you all know how easy it is to drop money on all those great supplies. Do you ladies have a budget. I am building a stash, so I am spending up a storm. My dh says 50 a week is reasonable. What do you ladies think? This is my total budget, includes paper, ink, stamps, embellishments, tools, etc.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 12:27 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

I think that is a very generous budget! If you buy wisely that will last you a long time!

He's a keeper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2009, 01:23 AM   #3  
Glitter Queen

I'm just starting out too, and have found that I'm spending way too much! I'm going to have to settle down this pay, I think...although I did make a few big purchases such as a Cuttlebug during this period.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2009, 09:13 AM   #4  
Glitter Queen

Just set aside about $10,000. ....that should about do it. LOL I hate to think how much money I have wrapped up in craft supplies but it is enormous. Would have been alot cheaper to buy cards but not nearly as much fun. Problem is that I have several hundred ahead but I still keep going....gotta find a home for some of them!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 01:28 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

nice husband! I say set aside half of that and wait. your tastes are going to change dramatically and if you are like most of us, 6 months from now you'll look at your stash and regret some of it. instead of buying a ton of one brand, sample a bit here and there until you find what you really love.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 02:23 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Start with the basics like cardstock, ink pads, a Versamark ink pad, a few stamps and tools. A good 12" paper cutter, fine (small) scissors for cutting, a bone folder, a clear plastic ruler (some have centering guides with 0 in the middle) are the basic tools you need to get started. You also need a good adhesive to glue the papers together. Do a search in the forum and you will find lots of discussion on people's preferences.

Don't go crazy buying every color of cardstock, only buy a few coordinating sheets of designer paper, and a couple of coordinating colors of ink pads. If you read though these posts you will see that a lot of us started out buying bulk paper and cardstock only to learn their are definite differences in quality and have found that we wasted a lot of money on "good bargains".

Have fun and with your generous budget you will find you can buy a lot in to time at all and there are endless products you will be wanting to try.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 02:59 PM   #7  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Never underestimate the value of using quality cardstock and an excellent paper cutting system but be sure they work with your style. The best cs in neon green would be wasted here 'coz neon shades are about the only colors I don't like.

ETA: Always buy a reinker for any inkpad you get (at least the full size pads). Nothing is more frustrating than a dry inkpad and the reinkers can be used in lots of techniques.

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to alicaz

oh yeah... I remember how I got a box of 300 sheets of designer paper in Costco and all colors of cheap CS when I was starting - bargains!!! most of it is still there, just taking up space :mrgreen:

Quote:

Originally Posted by flwrldy3View Post
Don't go crazy buying every color of cardstock, only buy a few coordinating sheets of designer paper, and a couple of coordinating colors of ink pads. If you read though these posts you will see that a lot of us started out buying bulk paper and cardstock only to learn their are definite differences in quality and have found that we wasted a lot of money on "good bargains".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 07:09 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Very Good Advice

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
nice husband! I say set aside half of that and wait. your tastes are going to change dramatically and if you are like most of us, 6 months from now you'll look at your stash and regret some of it. instead of buying a ton of one brand, sample a bit here and there until you find what you really love.

Newbie here - I wish I had found this site alonggggggg time ago....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2009, 02:50 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Isn't everyone here great. The money I wasted four years ago when I really got started I wished I had now. I still have some Wal Mart bargain packs that seemed such they way to go and now I am redoing most of the pages I made with them!

With that kind of budget, I'd stash some bucks for a few weeks and go for the good stuff. Choose a paper/ink coordinated paper like SU or CTMH and start stashing those away. Buy a few stamp sets that are multiseasonal/all occasion and then play. I also subscribe to a couple of magazines and keep up with the new stuff that way. Frankly I also read alot on here and watch my friends. I have one friend who has bought just about every die cut system out there. Unfortunately for her but fortunately for me, I watch her mistakes and expenditures and I can buy alot more wisely!

I don't have a big budget. I watch for Michaels and Hobby Lobby coupons as well and use those for my stampology sets and the pricier tools. I've also learned to stick with brand names for quality and warranty.

The only advantage to the cheaper stuff I bought early on is that my grandson has things to play with while I'm working with the good stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

wonderful DH and generous too! Go slow, don't buy every new thing that comes out - wait, read the forums here, see what others think and what issues they have, then decide. I've seen lots of folks here buy the latest, greatest toy on the market only to be disappointed and out the money.

Slowly build your stash - there are tons of great companies out there. I learned that going with a company that offers matching, coordinating cs and ribbon saves a ton of money in the long run. I have donated pounds and pounds of cs and db that didn't coordinate or that I just didn't love all of.

If you have a friend or relative that has been stamping and they will share, borrow their stuff if they will let you - try before you buy, and save your money for the stuff you really love and just have to have.

And always feel free to post on the forums here - if it's stamping related and it's out there, I guarantee you, someone here owns it, can tell you the pros and cons and knows the best place to buy it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2009, 03:29 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

you ladies are all so awesome, and generous with your advice. My dh is pretty great! I am so enjoying this, and he is just happy I found something I like. Already this has lasted a couple months longer than most of my other hobbies. My best investment? SCAL! Love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2009, 03:33 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

50 a week is more than enough ;)
love Joan's advice, buy little things here and there, to see what you love the most.
I started almost a 2 years now in this hobby, and so far havent bought something I havent used. love everything I have. and I started little by little, until I found the right companies for me, and it works great, I only have a budger of maybe 100 a month, so i make it stretch, sometimes less cause I dont need as much stuff anymore ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2009, 03:45 PM   #14  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Not directly budget related but start an inventory of stamp sets NOW. It is very time-consuming to wait until you have very many and it can prevent buying duplicate or similar images.

I also like to have an inventory of inkpads/reinkers/markers as well as cardstock.

And, think about storage (with built-in space for future acqusisitions!) because if you can't find something you may buy a duplicate. Also, it is usually much easier to feel creative if you know where to find what you need without a 30-minute (futile) search.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2009, 03:45 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallnPetalView Post
Isn't everyone here great. The money I wasted four years ago when I really got started I wished I had now. I still have some Wal Mart bargain packs that seemed such they way to go and now I am redoing most of the pages I made with them!

With that kind of budget, I'd stash some bucks for a few weeks and go for the good stuff. Choose a paper/ink coordinated paper like SU or CTMH and start stashing those away. Buy a few stamp sets that are multiseasonal/all occasion and then play. I also subscribe to a couple of magazines and keep up with the new stuff that way. Frankly I also read alot on here and watch my friends. I have one friend who has bought just about every die cut system out there. Unfortunately for her but fortunately for me, I watch her mistakes and expenditures and I can buy alot more wisely!

I don't have a big budget. I watch for Michaels and Hobby Lobby coupons as well and use those for my stampology sets and the pricier tools. I've also learned to stick with brand names for quality and warranty.

The only advantage to the cheaper stuff I bought early on is that my grandson has things to play with while I'm working with the good stuff.
YES!! And High Five on that - everyone here IS so nice and so talented!! I have wasted so many supplies buying the cheap stuff that I could afford 'cause I didn't have this site and wonderful ladies to tell me to save up my money and WAIT and buy the good stuff. It is so true, the saying - You Get What You Pay For! It is "cheap" for a reason! I have learned my lesson the hard way. It is hard to wait and save up and get the good stuff - but it is worth it in the long run.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2009, 03:48 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by transprntbutterflyView Post
wonderful DH and generous too! Go slow, don't buy every new thing that comes out - wait, read the forums here, see what others think and what issues they have, then decide. I've seen lots of folks here buy the latest, greatest toy on the market only to be disappointed and out the money.

Slowly build your stash - there are tons of great companies out there. I learned that going with a company that offers matching, coordinating cs and ribbon saves a ton of money in the long run. I have donated pounds and pounds of cs and db that didn't coordinate or that I just didn't love all of.

If you have a friend or relative that has been stamping and they will share, borrow their stuff if they will let you - try before you buy, and save your money for the stuff you really love and just have to have.

And always feel free to post on the forums here - if it's stamping related and it's out there, I guarantee you, someone here owns it, can tell you the pros and cons and knows the best place to buy it.

Thats one of the things I like the most on here. Like - Is the Scor-Pal worth the money? $40.00 for a square piece of plastic? Well there were/are about 100 people who said YES!! Buy it!! You will love it. Once you use it you can't live without it.
So I bought it. I haven't even used it yet - but I feel with that much positive feedback, it will be worth it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2009, 03:58 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by creatingisfunView Post
50 a week is more than enough ;)
love Joan's advice, buy little things here and there, to see what you love the most.
I started almost a 2 years now in this hobby, and so far havent bought something I havent used. love everything I have. and I started little by little, until I found the right companies for me, and it works great, I only have a budger of maybe 100 a month, so i make it stretch, sometimes less cause I dont need as much stuff anymore ;)
$50.000 a week? $100.00 a month? My husband needs to get a different job, or a part time job. (lol) You ladies are really blessed. I get to spend about that much every 3/4 months. Good for you!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 01:28 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by not2shabbydesignsView Post
$50.000 a week? $100.00 a month? My husband needs to get a different job, or a part time job. (lol) You ladies are really blessed. I get to spend about that much every 3/4 months. Good for you!!
I have to second that, after DH helped me get all four color groups in ink from SU the budget ceased to be a priority for him! Darnit all! But honestly there is no way we could afford to let me spend $50 a week on stuff! I wish! Then again, I really have so much stuff that I could play for a couple months and still not put a dent in a four year stash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenndspencerView Post
you ladies are all so awesome, and generous with your advice. My dh is pretty great! I am so enjoying this, and he is just happy I found something I like. Already this has lasted a couple months longer than most of my other hobbies. My best investment? SCAL! Love it!

Jenn, glad you're enjoying your buying spree. About 3 years into it here, and I'm still building my stash. But what is SCAL??? That's one I've never heard of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 03:53 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post
Jenn, glad you're enjoying your buying spree. About 3 years into it here, and I'm still building my stash. But what is SCAL??? That's one I've never heard of.
SCAL is sure cuts a lot, a computer program that works with a cricut to allow you to cut any true type font you can find, including dingbats. (there are tons for FREE!) In addition there are a ton of scut and svg files you can get for free or incredibly cheap, especially compared to cricut carts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 05:14 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh - ok, well that answers that. I don't have a cricut, the SCAL isn't in my future. BTW, I see you are in northeast ohio - so am I. Akron. What part are you in?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

We are in Andover, just west of the PA line at pymatuning.
Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post
Oh - ok, well that answers that. I don't have a cricut, the SCAL isn't in my future. BTW, I see you are in northeast ohio - so am I. Akron. What part are you in?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 07:27 PM   #23  
Embossing Fanatic

So what companies are worthwhile. I'm kind of new to this too and fell in love with Stampin Up. I like Close to my Heart but there isn't a CTMH rep anywhere close to where I live (Hattiesburg,MS). Just kind of wanting some ideas as to where to start looking for good quality supplies to build up my stash. Thanks a bunch!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

I went through the same thing going to a class at the local stamp store and then buying some cheap paper at Michael's and wondering why my homemade cards were so blah and my classmade cards so nice.
After becoming a SU demo, I only bought SU, so that helps with focusing what is needed and wanted. A balance of what I need for basic supplies and replacements and my desires from the new catalog and mini.
One of my customers told me the other day, she can't be bothered with buying non SU. Takes too much time and effort. She has a full time job and a child starting college. She wants the creative time focused on stamping and not on looking for what matches from many different companies.

I have a couple of clubs where the members usually write out a wish list and then decide on so much to purchase each month. Once a catalog year they are a hostess and get one of their bigger priced items then.
Good luck with your budgets.
Stasia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 10:40 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

well - my husband has officially cut my budget to: ZERO... until I use up at least half of what I have now. so i better get busy 'cause I need some inkpads and some colored pencils. maybe i could save up my lunch money and sneak to michaels and sneak them into my craft room. if he comes in my craftroom he will never notice the new shiny stuff mixed in with all the other (well new shiny stuff that hasn't been used yet)... lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2009, 09:14 AM   #26  
Glitter Queen

I still have piles of designer paper from Costco, and some cardstock left from Michael's. You wouldn't believe how much it pained me to admit that not all cardstock is created equally. I use it every now and then, and hope someday to be rid of it. Stick with SU cardstock and inks now...and stamps....oh, the piles of stamps!
I only started making cards and scrapbooking since end of 04/beginning of 05....I wasn't looking for another hobby....I started with just a little bit of stuff (enough to carry in one little bag), then I needed a little cupboard, then a small cart with drawers, and have now ballooned to half of hubby's computer room. It's so easy to get carried away! I TRY to set a budget...sometimes a couple of months go by with no crafty spending, but when hubby works overtime, look out!! He funds much of my stamping habit (sometimes he knows it, sometimes not..lol) He is actually quite the enabler--no wonder I love him! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 07:16 AM   #27  
Glitter Queen

Where can I buy a copy of SCAL ??? Never heard of it. Also I have a TON of sizzlits that I never use..any ideas on what on earth to use them for??? They are so small that I am at a loss....another good reason for waiting and watching before you leap.
Another thing that I don't use is my cricut machine....if I had to choose it would be the cuttlebug every time!!!!
I also have literally thousands of sheets of paper bought in stacks. You get them home and realize you only like about 1/4 of them and the rest just sits there gathering dust.
Oh to find someone who can use this stuff.... I would gladly donate it just to make more room.

Last edited by Craftygayle; 10-06-2009 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: add more info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 07:50 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

For those junky papers that aren't getting used, I donated mine to a preschool. They loved it! If you have kids in elementary school, those teachers can always use a hand with any type of supplies too. And in my daughter's high school bulletin the art teachers were asking for any spare supplies like buttons, yarns, etc. so that might be an option as well if you're looking to donate.

To the OP, if you find a company you like, consider becoming a demonstrator! When I fell in love with SU, I figured out how much I was spending on it and guess what, that just about covered my minimums to be a demo! So in I went, now I get my SU goodies at a discount. :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2009, 04:21 AM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

google scal. I got mine at Craftedgedotcom. I looked at many sites but couldn't find a better price. I emailed them and they sent me a coupon code. Their base price was a little higher, but with a 10% coupon code, it was lower. Also, you can download a trial to play with, you just can't use the cuts, because they put extra cuts in it until you buy it and get a serial number.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftygayleView Post
Where can I buy a copy of SCAL ??? Never heard of it. Also I have a TON of sizzlits that I never use..any ideas on what on earth to use them for??? They are so small that I am at a loss....another good reason for waiting and watching before you leap.
Another thing that I don't use is my cricut machine....if I had to choose it would be the cuttlebug every time!!!!
I also have literally thousands of sheets of paper bought in stacks. You get them home and realize you only like about 1/4 of them and the rest just sits there gathering dust.
Oh to find someone who can use this stuff.... I would gladly donate it just to make more room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2009, 06:32 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I no longer have a budget, i have been cut off.
Like some of the others, i too bought that paper from Costco and it is still sitting there in my room. I do use for school project at work, so at least it wasn't a total loss.
My dh did buy me the cricut (that was such a big surprise) last year and i have really gotten alot of use from it, and it really comes in handy for work, But then i found out about rubber stamping. What really saves me is that i live in a small town and the only stores i really have are Target and Walmart, and they don't carry alot of things to play with. Embellishments are the hardest things to find and they are so pretty on your cards.You can't find like the dimond dust stuff or the crystal effects and things like that here. I did find a store that did have embossing powder and i was so excited.
I didn't realize that there was so much more to it than just stamps. I guess that is the best part.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2009, 08:07 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the key to buying supplies is to picture what you are going to do with it. The supplies shouldn't dictate the idea, but it's the idea that should dictate what you buy.

Also, make sure you need it. For instance, do you really need stamps of images you could easily draw yourself. If you have friends that stamp, maybe you can split a purchase of items that come in large quantities.

Making informed purchases is key. Don't buy something hoping to find out what it is or how it works. You might not like the outcome or the method.

Don't forget coupons. No matter what your budget, why waste money.

And remember, it's only a bargain if you will really use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2009, 08:15 AM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

I'd say spend 1/2 on consumables and save half for bigger purchases like tools.

I made a list of every tool that I wanted. Then I saved until I had enough for one of them. Then I evaluated the list and decided which one to buy first. By that time, some had fallen off the list and had been replaced by others. It really stopped the impulse buys, KWIM? The first on my list was an ATG.

I also joined a SU hostess club so that I could start accumulating "the good stuff" and still get hostess benefits. ;)

Good luck!

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #33  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post
I'd say spend 1/2 on consumables and save half for bigger purchases like tools.

I made a list of every tool that I wanted. Then I saved until I had enough for one of them. Then I evaluated the list and decided which one to buy first. By that time, some had fallen off the list and had been replaced by others. It really stopped the impulse buys, KWIM? The first on my list was an ATG.

I also joined a SU hostess club so that I could start accumulating "the good stuff" and still get hostess benefits. ;)

Good luck!
oooh, i like this idea. I want every neat little thing and I want it now! I have been skimping on my paper and ribbon, etc. If I split it in half, I could buy better paper, ink and such, and I would have a way to hold myself back from all of those tools. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Talking Here is my Two Cents..LOL!

I think pretty much the consenses here are when you first start out you are looking with eyes of wonder of I want that and that and that. Over the years I have learned the hard way that cheap is not always good. A scrapbooker for 11 years and then started stamping and that opened up a whole new can of wants! LOL!!!!

Cardstock-I agree buy good grade cardstock in your basic colors that you know you will use. You can always add prints later on or try one or two sheets of a company before you before more of it. What favorites are for some is not always a favorite of yours. Less money spent this way as well. Try to pass up on the good deals at Costco, Dollar stores as their papers are very thin and will not hold up if you are making a project to give to someone.

Inks-When you buy your ink pads always buy the reinker. I never knew how important that was until I started stamping and buying the SU pads. I just thought when the pad got dry I could buy the reinker anytime. NOT! If it is their basic colors most likely you can get it, but if it is the In-colors they are only out for 6 months to a year. Stazon Ink is good but it dries quicker once it is open. It is great for stamping on surfaces other than paper. Try a one or two different ones and see what is best for you and your budget.

Stamps- Oh My! When I first started stamping I thought I have to have this set and when I was shown the $1 clear stamps by Studio G at Michaels, I thought WOW! I can get a lot of stamps for a buck. Although they are cute and fun, you will eventually step back and think "Man I could of bought a great quality stamp set from Verve, PTI, JustRite, Flourishes, Gina K, Stampin UP, TAC and many other quality stamp companies if I had thought it through!!!! I recently sold all of my Studio G stamps because they don't stamp clean and they were ones I used rarely or never used and the money I made from them I was able to purchase additional quality stamp sets from Stampin Up and Flourishes. Ask yourself this question when looking at stamps" Am I buying this because it is the "in" stamp? How many times will you use it to really get your monies worth. It is so easy to get caught up in wanting the newest stamps, but with a little thinking and waiting you will see that I really don't need that set.

Tools- Punches are a must! But again buy quality, not cheap. Usually if it is a really good price at Walmart, dollar stores or catalogs like Oriental Trading Company you will get what you paid for. I know, as I have been there, done that! Again I love my SU punches, the marvy punches, and Fiskars. Martha Stewarts are great as well. Keep your eye out for the 40% coupons from Michaels. Archivers, Hobby Lobby and so forth that is where the great buys can come in for the tools. If you visit Scrappin Cricut blog, she always has the latest coupons to be printed off.

Be sure to check the Buy/Sell/Trade threads. A lot of ladies will have items they no longer want and are trying to sell it for a very reasonable price or sometimes a really low price just to get rid of it.

If you can afford it, buy the Cuttlebug machine and the Cricut Expression. With those machines you just about cut any embellishment, make beautiful background paper and even get the folders and cartirdges at a great price if you watch sales and look on the net.

Hope this helped!

My Blog

My Gallery

Last edited by StampinQBee; 10-09-2009 at 02:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 08:00 AM   #35  
Stampin' Fool

Default thanks all!

Wow! It is so great to talk to people who have "been there, done that"! I hope that learning from all of your experience will help me to make the best choices. I love that some of these threads go on for weeks and longer, and later, another newbie will have a similar question and hopefully they will find this thread and all of your wonderful answers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 10:02 AM   #36  
Glitter Queen

You can buy SCAL off of ebay for $10s of dollars cheaper in many cases, from licensed resellers. It's the same thing you get from CraftEdge, including the great support.

There's a part of the month where I just say 'no more until I use X amount of supplies' but I also have a wishlist and have been known to use coupons.

Paper--I started off as a Bazzil snob (thanks to a QVC bundle that had some colors I loved, some colors I hated and other colors I fell in love with but would never use had they not been in the package), but there are a few other brands I buy now, including WorldWin, the brand Archiver's uses as their generic... Really love SU's kraft cardstock and Georgia Pacific White (from Walmart) for stamping!

Ink--I started off with Staz On, which is great, but have graduated to Memento since I've been using copics. I LOVE Memento, and the dew drop ink pads mean you can get a lot for your buck--would recommend these any way you can get them (ind., as a 3 pack or as a color collection)!

Stamps- I love Hero Arts and they're definitely durable, but I just joined a CTMH monthly club so I'll be trying those again. I recently started loving digi-stamps because I got picked for a design team and I LOVE the way you can resize and customize them. I'll buy some of the dollar stamps, but Inkadinkado and Stampendous are great, along with indy places like the Stampsmith and Rubber Vegas (I think that's the name). The Greeting Farm stamps are a trip and a half to color--they're adorable. I would say to try a few different types. I bought a lot of 'that's pretty' when I was starting out and those are still pretty, but they aren't as functional as a few of my other stamps, know what I mean? There are tons of stamp companies out there, I would say to check your friends blogs and their favorites as well.

Tools- Prismacolor pencils are your best friend. Copics, too, but those can wait. A small metal pencil sharpener and those white plastic erasers help, too. A ruler, a sharp pair of scissors, a cutting tool...these are all important. Figure out where you want to spend your money--do you want a few basic tools and a lot of inks, along with a couple of stamps or a lot of stamps, a few inks and the like?
I would recommend a good, clear embossing powder, because that will always change color with your ink pad. You know, versus buying a purple powder and a pink powder, I just use the clear powder over my pink or purple ink. Also, a versamark pad is FANTASTIC, either for creating ghost images, backgrounds or using different colored powders (yes, I just contradicted myself, LOL).
Good luck and you've definitely come to the right place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 11:36 AM   #37  
Crimping Master

Well, personally I only get a monthly budget of $100.

It does help that my mil owns the lss. So my budget gets to stretch
a bit farther.

Also when special events come up like we had a CKC and just had a Shoebox Swap. I do get a little bit more leeway with my allowance.

But that's very rare.

My top list for must have supplies for anyone starting to scrap is:
Xyron
Sizzix Big Shot
Spellbinders Dies
Quickutz Dies
Copic Markers

and of course, good paper, ink and stamps

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2009, 05:46 PM   #38  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenndspencerView Post
Wow! It is so great to talk to people who have "been there, done that"! I hope that learning from all of your experience will help me to make the best choices. I love that some of these threads go on for weeks and longer, and later, another newbie will have a similar question and hopefully they will find this thread and all of your wonderful answers!

I think we have all been there. I can't tell you how many packs of paper I bought cuz it was cheaper than buying 50 seperate pieces. I donated about 10-15 packs to a preschool. I had only used a few from each pack. I now ONLY buy what I need or love. I have a rule that if i just love something I see in the store, I leave it and if I am still thinking about it 3 days later then I buy it. So often, I forget about them.
A Muse Studio Consultant #1021
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes