Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-27-2009, 04:32 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sponging

I've decided that I need to master sponging; there are those in the gallery who do it so beautifully. To do so, it will help to have the best tools, so, what is your favorite sponge? Is it natural or man-made? Where do you get it?

I know that different sponges give a different effect. For instance, I've been using cosmetic sponges and they don't give a very soft look. What effect does each sponge give you? TIA for the help.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2009, 04:41 PM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I love using sponge daubers. Check out this video. (Just disregard the die cutting part.)
Sponging

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2009, 05:09 PM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I like the sponges from SU cut into quarters. The rounded edge is just perfect for sponging. There is an art sponge for ceramics in the Art section of Michaels that works well too. Both of those sponges have a fine grade for distributing ink.

I will also say that it's in the way you move the sponge. To get that soft shadow look, leave your Card Stock on the table with a scrap paper beneath it. Then take the sponge wedge (rounded side), rub it in the ink on the pad. Then start pushing and rubbing the sponge down slightly OFF the edge of the CS (on the scrap paper) and quickly move onto the edge of your CS. Keep swirling and rubbing and pushing down, some times you really have to use a lot of pressure down. The ink runs out quickly so you have to re-dip back into the pad and keep starting off the CS, working your way on. To get less color, don't re-dip, just rub.

Here is an example from my gallery:
Asian Well Wishes by lbirus at Splitcoaststampers

If you want to see more of the sponge marks, hold your cs up in the air and "flick" the paper, or don't start off on the scap paper, just start rubbing straight onto the CS.
Here's a "rougher" version of sponging:
Happy as Happy by lbirus at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2009, 05:54 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I use daubers when I want a smother look. When I want more "texture" I use real sponges--- get a big one and tear it into smaller pieces.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2009, 07:07 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used daubers, SU sponges, and makeup sponges...... they all work. However, I went to a brayer class that Michele Zindorf taught and she had us do some sponging on our cards. She took those cheap yellow sponges you use to scrub pots with and cut them up. She actually had to pull the green scrubbing part off of one side of the yellow sponge, but they work beautifully. I get a great soft shadow look when I use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2009, 07:17 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Kim Teasdale aka blondie090277 is teaching a class soon about creating sponged backgrounds. Here is the link for it:

http://www.mycreativeclassroom.com/c...nfo.php?id=253
I design for Stamping Bella.

Every day may not be good, but there is something good in every day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jellybean74View Post
Kim Teasdale aka blondie090277 is teaching a class soon about creating sponged backgrounds. Here is the link for it:

http://www.mycreativeclassroom.com/c...nfo.php?id=253
Thank you for the link. Her backgrounds are wonderful. I signed up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2009, 03:34 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I use sponge daubers and the round yellow sponges you can get in craft stores. I cut the yellow ones into quarters. They all work well. If you want a softer look, you can use chalks instead of inks. What works for me is to start out light and then add more chalk/ink to darken the edges. Stipple brushes are also fun. Lots of choices; it's a fun technique.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2009, 05:12 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use both the yellow sponges cut into quarters and the Jumbo Sponge Daubers. But the Jumbo Daubers are my favorite...sponging is wayyyy smoother with those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2009, 05:46 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Here's Shannan's link: http://www.eclecticpaperie.com/tsst2025.html

I haven't tried the jumbo size yet, but I can see how they would work well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by steubnerView Post
I use both the yellow sponges cut into quarters and the Jumbo Sponge Daubers. But the Jumbo Daubers are my favorite...sponging is wayyyy smoother with those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2009, 05:58 AM   #11  

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I love using the sponge daubers on the edges; it really gives depth. I usually hold my piece in the air, and sort of drag the dauber off the edge so there's only a little bit of color.

Here's a sample from my gallery:

Spirit of Christmas
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2009, 04:57 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Okay, I've been working on this. First, let me say thanks for ALL the help!

I had already tried the sea, kitchen and makeup sponges. I've decided I just have a heavy hand; my "sponging" looks like smeared fingerprints with each of those. Perhaps the ink pad I'm using is too dry to really moisten the sponge and that's causing me to push hard to get any color at all. Oh well, I'm gonna keep trying till I get it.

So, I watched at Gina's video where she makes it look so easy(she used the jumbo sponge daubers) and went to the site steubner and crafts posted. They were sold out; after a quick trip to Michael's to stock up on jumbo sponge daubers, I can see why. $2.99 x how ever you need for all the colors - yikes. Wish I coulda bought a dozen or so from that sale, but somebody (-ies) beat me to it. So, I purchased two @ M's and will go from there.

The sponge that Beate uses in the tutorial, does anyone know where she got that one?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2009, 05:04 AM   #13  

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I know SU sells the round yellow ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2009, 05:09 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

I have the SU sponges, cut into quarters. Then, I take a permanent thin Sharpie and write the color name...brown, green, etc. You will not really need them for every color in the rainbow. They are easy to wash under the sink and let air dry, too.

My method is to hold the cardstock in my left hand,sponge in right hand, and rub sponge perpendicularly to edges of cardstock, flicking the edge in a top to bottom manner. This way, I get a darker color on the dges, lighter as it goes to the center.

I also have to say that I prefer certain inks and colors for sponging over others. Versafine Sepia is great for distressing in a nice golden brown. SU's new Soft Suede is allso a great color for sponging...not as dark as chocolate chip, and a softer brown without the yellow undertone.

To borrow a phrase from Elaine on Seinfeld, I think every project is "sponge-worthy"! It's my favorite technique!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2009, 06:20 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am by no means an "expert" at sponging myself - I have recently really gotten into it. I use the following 3 tools and find each gives a bit of a different look/feel

sponge daubers - I've only tried the little ones though, I just bought one of the bigger ones. I find I have to be careful not to leave a circular impression but for small spaces these are best.

SU! orange sponges cut into quarters. These work the best for me of any sponge out there. I am careful to make sure that I use similar colors on the sponge each time I use it so that it doesn't muddy the color and I can use them over and over. I keep them in a larget tilt bin on my desk and have had them forever. They don't fray or tear like the cheaper ones do.

Tim Holtz applicator with FOAM refills. I had trouble finding the foam and tried the felt. Felt is for alcohol ink and not for sponging. Get the foam. They are aweswome!! The applicator has a velco part to it and its easy to take the foam refills on and off. So far I've used the foam on a few colors and have them stored in a small plastic container so I can reuse them on similar colors.

One tip I have found is start off the page with your application of color and then swirl it onto the page. That way you don't get marks left by the applicator. Each time you put on more color - start off the page again and just move further into the project to apply the color further.

The other tip - start light and keep layering on more color till you get the depth you want. When I put too much of a color on at first it tends to leave applicator marks but if I layer the color it looks smooth and shaded.

HTH - its fun isnt it?

Andrea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2009, 06:48 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

I like to use a stiff stipple brush actually. I hold it vertically, pounce it onto my inkpad and then pounce it around the edge of my paper. This gives you a chance to build up color, but I don't get "sponge marks" I've never been able to master using the daubers, but I really prefer the brush anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2009, 08:41 AM   #17  
Glitter Guru

I like to use very soft sponges (Jumbo Round Sponge Daubers are my favorite!) and very smooth paper. The paper really matters, because a rough paper, like Georgia Pacific will grab the ink and blending will be more difficult. I like Gina K's Pure Luxury White, SU Whisper White and Neenah Solar Crest White for sponging. Pure Luxury is my favorite among those since it is so perfect for Copics, too.

I like to use a pretty dry sponge to start. If my ink pad is juicy at all, I dab it on scratch paper. Then I start off the card stock, like someone mentioned above, and work onto it in swirling motions. I build the color up very slowly and keep working my way in. As your color builds up, you can leave more ink on the sponge.

My Blog - Crafting The Web | Illustrator and Designer for - Gina K Designs

2012 Design Team Member - Spellbinders
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2009, 07:56 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Okay, all, THANKS! I have read, re-read, and re-re-read y'all's input as I've tried out your suggestions. Especially helpful was the suggestion re: smooth paper; I shoulda known that but didn't think of it. In fact, I was using GA Pacific - exactly the paper I should avoid when sponging, LOL. So glad I asked for advice.

I've been working sponging and am definitely improving. Not an expert yet, but maybe I will be after Kim Teasdale's class that starts next week. Yep, thanks for that heads-up too; I'm enrolled - I'll be sitting on the front row.

Check my gallery next month (after the class), maybe I will have blossomed with the sponging techniques. Okay maybe not, but at least I should be better than I am. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 05:27 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

I LOVE the sponges from CTMH - they are the white sponge and even has a handle! You can get 4 for about $10 too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2009, 10:49 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh My Goodness. I am loving the lessons at My Creative Classroom. Cannot believe how wonderful my simple cards are looking. Anyone reading this thread.... the class is well worth the $s. Don't know when it will be offered again, but I'm pretty sure that if several stampers ask, they would try to make it available.
Reply With Quote Likes