Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Felted Cardstock tutorial from Weekly Inking

I must not be holding my mouth right. I have tried to do this tutorial but it isn't working. I pulled the napkin apart, I used the highest heat setting on my brand new expensive iron (no steam), and I used plastic wrap. No matter how long I ironed, I couldn't get the plastic wrap to melt binding the cardstock and napkin together. I am using plastic wrap that I bought from Sam's Club. Should I be using thinner, cheaper plastic wrap? I can't think of any other reason why it isn't working. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?:confused:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2009, 08:11 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Is the plastic wrap sticking to anything?? If not, this is a strange kind of plastic wrap.

If it is sticking to the newsprint instead, then the layers are not in order.... Newsprint; Cardstock; Plastic Wrap; Napkin; Newsprint.

(Or maybe it's because you are up past midnight??? LOL)
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2009, 08:26 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I had the same problem I was ready to pull my hair out. I think I had two problems my heat was not high enough(doesn't seem to be yours) and I was not using the right weight of paper. I did not have newsprint and was using something else I still did not use neswprint but something close. Oh I found one more issue too My napkin had 3 layers I had only remove one I needed to remove the other layer(Check your layers sometimes it is hard to see the second layer) Hope this helps I know it is frustrating because it seems so simple.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2009, 04:12 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Make sure you are using just the one layer of napkin. When I did this several years ago, didn't use 2 layers of newsprint,(on top) used one layer...don't remember what kind of plastic wrap I used, but do remember reading that the cheaper stuff worked better. And I don't think I used newsprint...used a kiddie art pad from the dollar store that is just like newsprint....much cheaper.
There are different kiddie art pads out there, but if you know what newsprint looks and feels like, you should be able to pick up a bargain. (also have that tip from a online stamp store owner on her instructional DVD)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2009, 04:25 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I looked and did include a card I did in 2006...looks like I stamped right on the napkin (sentiment) when done...sorry it is so simplistic, but I am layer challenged most of the time...lol...
Good luck with your venture...the only other suggestion I have is that if you try with just one layer of newsprint on top, it will probably melt quicker, so be careful...you can always peel off and edge of the newsprint to see if it adhered and apply more heat if necessary.
Now I might just have to try this again...lol...
Wired Napkin by jlinsenman at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2009, 01:57 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

i used a glue stick and adhered the one layer of napkin to cardstock....rolled it with a brayer and then ran it thru the CB. worked just fine. the napkin part is "broom rides" and .50$....

i did 4 other cards using a floral napkin, but dont have a scan yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Felted Cardstock tutorial from Weekly Inking-scan0009.jpg  

MY BLOG: www.mugsycreates.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2009, 03:07 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilannView Post
I must not be holding my mouth right. I have tried to do this tutorial but it isn't working. I pulled the napkin apart, I used the highest heat setting on my brand new expensive iron (no steam), and I used plastic wrap. No matter how long I ironed, I couldn't get the plastic wrap to melt binding the cardstock and napkin together. I am using plastic wrap that I bought from Sam's Club. Should I be using thinner, cheaper plastic wrap? I can't think of any other reason why it isn't working. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?:confused:
What if you just Xyron the card stock and 1 ply of napkin together?

That would work prett well, no? :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2009, 04:59 PM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 773 Likes on 556 Posts

If the plastic wrap you're using is microwave safe, then it most likely will not melt. Even the cheaper brands I've looked at are made to go in the microwave, so I've been using freezer paper to back my napkins until I can find the correct plastic wrap. The freezer paper has been working fine ... just layer as directed in the tutorial (placing the wrong side of your napkin against the waxy side of the freezer paper) and heat with a very hot iron. It probably takes longer for the freezer paper to adhere than it would if I was using the plastic wrap, but I just keep ironing until the napkin is adhered.

God demonstrated His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us ... being now justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. Romans 5:8 & 9

https://www.chemoangels.com/

https://www.intercessors.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2009, 11:29 PM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

I use a couple of sheets of typing paper to lay my cardstock on and then I only put a couple of sheets of top and then iron it. I do this instead of w/ the newsprint. Works fine for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2009, 08:36 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

I only use one sheet of newsprint paper over the napkin and my Saran Wrap melted fine for me.

my gallery - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2009, 10:43 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

This was a technique that I was going to attempt myself---now I hope it will actually work for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2009, 08:28 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Doesn't work for me either -- I've tried everything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2009, 07:20 AM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 773 Likes on 556 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamping ServantView Post
If the plastic wrap you're using is microwave safe, then it most likely will not melt. Even the cheaper brands I've looked at are made to go in the microwave, so I've been using freezer paper to back my napkins until I can find the correct plastic wrap. The freezer paper has been working fine ... just layer as directed in the tutorial (placing the wrong side of your napkin against the waxy side of the freezer paper) and heat with a very hot iron. It probably takes longer for the freezer paper to adhere than it would if I was using the plastic wrap, but I just keep ironing until the napkin is adhered.
I wanted to update my earlier post with the following: After reading Beate's post on this thread where she mentioned that Saran Wrap worked fine for her, I decided I needed to ignore information about microwavable plastic wrap being inappropriate for this technique. This morning I had success with Glad Wrap, grocery store brand plastic wrap, and even store brand plastic bags used for food storage (the kind you use with twist ties). For the bags, I cut open the bag and cut a piece to adhere to the napkin.

I find that I need a very hot, dry iron, and I have the best success if I use a little pressure as I iron. I just keep ironing until most or all of the plastic melts �. sometimes the corners seem reluctant to adhere so I just cut that part off or I apply a little glue stick to adhere the corners.

Here�s how I layered my sandwich:

Old magazine to protect my work surface
1 sheet of either clean copy paper or white paper towel
1 sheet of Georgia Pacific white cardstock
Piece of plastic wrap
1 layer of either a decorative napkin or tissue paper with decorative side facing up
1 sheet of either clean copy paper or white paper towel

I experimented by using some fall leaf stamps to decorate plain orange tissue paper before adhering it to the cardstock. What a nice textured background paper this makes for my fall-themed cards. I�m having fun with this technique.

God demonstrated His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us ... being now justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. Romans 5:8 & 9

https://www.chemoangels.com/

https://www.intercessors.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 08:31 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

My daughter, Trish, and I tried this and at first we were unsuccessful - we wanted to give up...but we didn't...we were going to master this thing!!!!

What worked for us? Cheap plastic wrap, one layer of newsprint and a hot iron! [sometimes the tips of the corners needed an extra pass or two with the iron]

What did we learn? When we had initially tried Costco plastic wrap for this technique - it didn't work - heat combined with thick plastic food wrap is what they must make heavy duty carry out bags/sacks out of because that's exactly what we ended up with;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 09:12 AM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

I must say that I have had the same problems as most people with getting the plastic wrap to adhere to the napkin and card stock.
I want to thank you for helping me with this. I used a plastic veggie bag and it finally worked!
I can't tell you how many different things I tried to make this work.
So - Thank you to all, for all your help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 03:19 PM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

LilAnn, I'm glad you posted this question, because I was having trouble too, and like you I also used plastic wrap from Sam's club, it just wouldn't melt for me...I going to try the suggestion of freezer wrap and see if that works...
QFTD165
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 05:25 PM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

Hi All! Check out the Spring 2007 issue of "Take Ten" (pg 110-112), if you have it. I made these samples using Freezer paper shiney side up with the single layer of napkin pattern side up. That's all the layers you need. Iron on hot setting, going slowly so as not to iron wrinkles into paper. Use an old iron in case the napkin doesn't completely cover the freezer paper. My only caution is that you may want to cut the finished paper with a rotary cutter scissors or guillotine cutter so the delicate paper doesn't shred. Whew! Good luck.....Lynda Miller
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 06:01 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was shown this technique in August and it is fun! I use thin typing paper and cheap wrap. Love the idea of the veggie bags. It is fun finding the napkins on clearance and sharing and seeing what we all do with the same napkin! Good luck!

CCC, MMTPT, QFTD156, Cards for a Cause

Rita/scootsv
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 06:59 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you to everyone who responded to my post. I am now pretty sure that it is the plastic wrap from Sam's Club that's the problem. I was going to try and impress my husband with this technique last week. I very carefully peeled the napkin apart while I was sitting by my husband and when he asked what I was doing I told him that I was going to do something really cool with it. The only thing that happened was me running back and forth from the kitchen to the craft room telling him to wait just one more minute and I would have something great to show him. I finally had to admit defeat. I can't wait to buy me some different plastic wrap and try this technique again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2009, 05:57 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Great question. At my ATC group meeting yesterday we played with this technique...with very poor results. It certainly was very frustrating that nothing we tried worked. I had done this technique ages ago when Carol Duvall first started her craft segments and it had worked great so I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Thanks for these suggestions I will give them a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2009, 06:29 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

i am still using glue stick....

one layer of napkin....run glue stick all over the cardstock , put napkin on the sticky side of cardstock, brayer it and then run through CB embossing folder. works like a charm and nothing goops up the iron.

MY BLOG: www.mugsycreates.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2009, 05:33 PM   #22  
mg
Kookie Creator

I have been doing this technique for several years. I use GLAD clingwrap. Works perfect! For instance anything like Saran Wrap that says heavy duty will not work. Good luck! It's lots of fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 04:25 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

the expensive plastic wraps are made to hold up in micowaves so it is very hard to make them melt ... cheap wrap is what you want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2009, 06:58 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

I finally got around to trying this tutorial again. I bought the cheapest plastic wrap I could find and it worked like a charm. I took a napkin I had left over from the 4th of July, opened it up, and used the whole thing to cover a 12x12 piece of cardstock. I now have a wonderful background to use for a scrapbook page. Thanks to everyone for their imput into what I needed to do to make this tutorial work.
Reply With Quote Likes