Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-22-2009, 02:36 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Traditional or Trendy Colors

Okay, tell me the truth, am I the only one in the whole universe who shies away from trendy colors for traditional holidays? In fact, I just plain don't like 'em. I'm not talking about the "in" colors like SU and other stamping companies cycle through; I'm talking about using traditional colors for traditional holidays.

For me, part of a holiday has always been the COLORS. When I see red and green, something inside me goes, "Yippie, Christmas is coming!" Black and orange (green, purple) elicit an automatic eerie, creepy, looking-forward-to- Halloween feeling. Blue and silver in December make me reflect on my Jewish friends. Red and pink make me feel sentimental and lovey dovey for Valentine's Day and so on.

Come to think of it, traditional holiday colors helped define the season for me.

Don't get me wrong, I never met a color I didn't like, but in the right place and time. For instance, when I'm looking at Christmas ornaments and see light blue and burnt orange, it just kinda spoils something for me. When I see pink for Halloween, something inside me just goes "yuck." Takes the fun out of it, KWIM?

I understand the need to try new things. I understand, for designers especially, the pressure to produce something new and different. I also understand that if you do the same thing day in and day out you may be desperate for something new. But, gee whiz, we're talking each holiday comes 1x a year; how hard can that be?

Alright, there it is. I�m off to fix something yummy for my family�s dinner. Share your thoughts; I'd love to hear them. But don�t shoot me, okay?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I love traditional colours too.

Only, for Christmas, I prefer burgundy and gold over red and green. I also like burgundy/red and white (for candy canes). I also like crystalline blue, silver, and white (for frost). (I'm talking about decorations and stuff, not just cards)

And for Halloween, I love orange and black. But not purple. But that's just 'cause I don't like purple.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2009, 03:07 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like traditional colors too, most of the time. Out of 10 cards, maybe 70% of them will have traditional colors, although it won't be bright red and green. More like deep red/burgandy and emerald or olive. But just like you said, sometimes I just need to MIX it up and break out of the box and do something different! Cosmo Cricket's Jolly by Golly is a perfect example. I never would've used pink for a Christmas card on my own, but since CC does it so well, I feel comfortable using it.
I'm not crazy about purple, or lime green for Halloween, either. I'll stick to orange/rust and black.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2009, 03:46 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty much go with traditional colors although the celery green color for Christmas is growing on me : )

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2009, 04:25 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

i don't really care for the red & green. but i surely don't like the light blue & burnt orange either.

MY tree for so many years was always decorated with mother of pearl EVERYTHING! because it made me think of snow.

the last couple of years it has been just red & gold, i like a clean & simple color scheme and design.

but i must admit that i am attracted to the black & gold and the black & silver ornaments that i have been seeing the last couple years. i would never do my main tree with these but my daughter LOVES them too. i am thinking about getting her a small tree for her room and doing it in black & silver. the color scheme in her room is minty green, black & white with silver accents so i think it would look great in there anyway.

so i guess maybe i am somewhere between traditional and trendy... if that is possible. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2009, 04:41 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

I do some traditional red/green or blues (like snowflakes) but most of my cards are far from traditional as far as colors go. Pinks, lime, black, all metallics, retro combos and more are in my cards.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2009, 05:03 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I like the traditional for most holidays, but I have enjoyed using a variety of colors for Christmas including pink, blue and silver on a card as well as anything else trendy out there. I like to do a mix of cards - some traditional and some trendy just to keep it fun.

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2009, 06:30 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

For Halloween and fall I stick mostly with traditional colors with a whole lot of kraft thrown in. But for Christmas I shy away from red and greens for the most part. I do like olive and celery, but I usually use blues and white.. and some silver sometimes.

And yes, I'll admit it.... my new Christmas color is pink. It's my favorite color anyway, and I love the soft, understated look it gives my cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2009, 06:30 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

I prefer more traditional colours... now, pink can work at Christmas if you are using the right designer paper.

I find it depends on the stamps I'm using, too. When I use my church themed stamp, I tend to use Night of Navy and Basic Grey or a silver, plus some white.

I do the traditional colours for Halloween for sure, and Valentine's Day, and Easter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2009, 07:17 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I usually prefer the traditional colors. I have use celery with red before. I also like blues with silver, especially with snowflakes or more sacred settings for Christmas. I love to throw the glitz of silver and gold in for Christmas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2009, 09:03 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

We don't do Halloween here.

Xmas: If the reds are really lovely reds and the greens really lovely greens (green especially has been a bit of a bugbear in years gone by), then I have no trouble working with them. However, I aso don't mind the mix...purple and silver and blue and silver are just lovely for Xmas. For us, it seems mighty silly to have snowmen, snow, snow scenes of any variety on our cards because it is SOOOO hot, come Xmas.

Valentines: I still think in terms of red but have seen some deadly stuff done in mainly white which turned my head quite a bit.

Easter: Is celebrated in Australia but it isn't really a card giving time.

Blue and Silver: Well there you go.....it is connected with the Jewish faith? I did not know that....never too late to learn.

I am quite happy to see what someone has come up with, no matter the colour scheme. Sometimes, it is enough just to view something way out there to get your own self in a going mood!

I love colour, so bring it on!!!!!!!!

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2009, 09:48 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I definately do NOT do the whole red and green thing. Too traditional for me. I like the fun, off-beat patterned papers that offer new and exciting colour combos every year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 02:02 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

I like traditional colors but hues of those are great too. I think celery or stand-in colors for traditional green would be great for Christmas or burgundy for red seems like red still. I also love light blues and silver for Christmas. I like orange and black or fall colors for Halloween.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 02:23 AM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

I much prefer the traditional colors, too. I do agree that they define the seasons... goes back to childhood memories. Once in a great while I'll throw in another coordinating color, but I'm rarely crazy about it when I do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 05:53 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by momis mamaView Post
i don't really care for the red & green. but i surely don't like the light blue & burnt orange either.

MY tree for so many years was always decorated with mother of pearl EVERYTHING! because it made me think of snow.

the last couple of years it has been just red & gold, i like a clean & simple color scheme and design.

but i must admit that i am attracted to the black & gold and the black & silver ornaments that i have been seeing the last couple years. i would never do my main tree with these but my daughter LOVES them too. i am thinking about getting her a small tree for her room and doing it in black & silver. the color scheme in her room is minty green, black & white with silver accents so i think it would look great in there anyway.

so i guess maybe i am somewhere between traditional and trendy... if that is possible. LOL
I own a music store and last year I bought a black and silver tree at walmart and decorated it with black and silver ornaments. It looked very cool (almost rock n roll). Now, in my house I wouldn't do it, but it appealed to the teenage guitar players A LOT! This year I'm mixing in some guitar ornaments and some picks on hooks. I may thrown on a few other music related things, but I'm sticking with the black and silver.

The black and gold reminds me too much of the steelers. And I could care less about them, lol. Did I mention I'm from Pittsburgh? lol

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 05:55 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Red is by far, my most favorite color...but for Christmas...I go with non-traditional colors 99% of the time...

Seems too many already do the Red and Green thing...So I stray off to other softer colors that go with my *stamps of choice* for the year...

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 05:59 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

I like traditional colors for holidays, but I also like other combos as well.

My Christmas cards this year are olive green and riding hood red (traditional), not quite navy and gold (nativity scene), light blue, dark blue and silver (snow flakes), kraft, dark blue, and pine green (snowy tree scene), and burgundy and sepia (Thomas Kinkade scene). Nothing REALLY out there, but not all traditional either.

And right now I'm really digging turquoise as part of the red/orange/yellow/gold fall color scheme. It just adds a neat color pop.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 06:02 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

oh and last year I did my living room decor in colors to match my new furnishings. Ocean blue, brone/brown and silver. NEVER AGAIN! It looked really pretty, but it did not feel at all like Christmas. So, I'm digging out the red and greens this year. I'm a Christmas-a-holic and it was such a downer. I know better than to mess with what I already love!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 06:10 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickers089View Post
oh and last year I did my living room decor in colors to match my new furnishings. Ocean blue, brone/brown and silver. NEVER AGAIN! It looked really pretty, but it did not feel at all like Christmas. So, I'm digging out the red and greens this year. I'm a Christmas-a-holic and it was such a downer. I know better than to mess with what I already love!
LOL~ My tree is what I call Kid Hodgepodge. It has the multicolored lights on it and none of the ornaments match. There are Waterford crystal ornaments that I collect, along with ones the kids make from popsicle sticks and yarn, and everything in between. The kids and I sit down and make a new ornament each year. So I have at least 3 new ones every time I put up the tree. Thank goodness we have 11' vaulted ceilings because the tree gets bigger every year to accommodate all the new decorations.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 06:13 AM   #20  
Glitter Guru

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I love to mix it up. Sometimes traditional, but I get bored with exclusively traditional colors. I'm really into Bermuda Bay and Real Red the last couple of days. Red's traditional, right? Check this out
http://stampingcountry.typepad.com/s...christmas.html
or
http://stampingcountry.typepad.com/s...box-ideas.html

Wow, right! Before that it was Bordering Blue and Kraft. Um, so soothing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 06:19 AM   #21  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I love all sorts of colours for all sorts of seasons. I love the traditional, I love the trendy. It all depends on whom the card is being given to. Some of my friends/family are traditional and so they receive those cards and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 06:33 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post
LOL~ My tree is what I call Kid Hodgepodge. It has the multicolored lights on it and none of the ornaments match. There are Waterford crystal ornaments that I collect, along with ones the kids make from popsicle sticks and yarn, and everything in between. The kids and I sit down and make a new ornament each year. So I have at least 3 new ones every time I put up the tree. Thank goodness we have 11' vaulted ceilings because the tree gets bigger every year to accommodate all the new decorations.
That's what I grew up with and I'm thinking of moving in that direction

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 06:46 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I love traditional colors too for the holidays. Always gets me in the holiday mood. Christmas I tend to shy away from Red and Green. I am Nordic/Russian so I love to use Nordic colors in my decorating scheme.

One year DH & I made a Red, White & Blue Christmas tree. We are really patriotic. That tree was a hit with everybody we knew.

No, I don't want pink pumpkins for Halloween. I can have pink pumpkins any time of the year.

I would love to have a Pink Christmas tree. I couldn't part with my traditional one. Some of my precious ornaments would look goofy on a pink tree, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 07:22 AM   #24  
Glitter Guru

I love the traditional colors of each holiday . . . I might like to tweak 'em a little by using different shades of those colors, but nothing drastic. To me, Christmas is red not pink. I cringe inside when I see pink and aqua Christmas stuff . . . it's most definately not for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 08:07 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm not usually opposed to the traditional colors for holidays, but finding unusual color combos that work is my favorite part of designing so I've always had a quest for non-traditional colors for holidays. Finding that combination that works and still imparts the feelings of the season is such a fun challenge that I can't resist.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 08:22 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

I loooove non-traditional colors on Christmas cards.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 08:33 AM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my Christmas tree green with lots of multi-colored ornaments. I would feel funny receiving a pink Christmas card, but some of them ARE pretty. My cards this year will have red, white, green, lime, aqua and turquoise colors. Still mostly traditional. Last year's card was a medium blue with lots of embossed gold - still looked pretty Christmasy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 08:43 AM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

I like a mixture....for Christmas this year I'm doing more traditional cards with Old Olive, Real Red, and adding in Chocolate Chip for a rustic feel. Then I'm also doing some that are Rich Razzleberry, Bermuda Bay, and Old Olive for a more "mod" feel.

I'll probably send different ones to different people depending on what I think they will most enjoy. My personal taste tends to go for the mod look more than traditional but I can appreciate the traditional too.

Good thread! Love to see how everyone is so different!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 01:03 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm testing out two colour schemes this year for my cards. One traditional (Kraft with tartan green with a touch of red) and the other is light blue & pink with silver. I love the homey feel the traditional colours give, but I also like the funky look of non-traditional colours.

I really don't send cards for any other occasion other than Christmas so I never thought about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 01:19 PM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

I love some of the non traditional colours for Christmas if the shades are right and the combinations go well, I don't like too bright shades
Any combination can work if paired for the mood of the card,

My faves:

Old Olive, Real Red, Kraft, Choc Chip

NQ Navy, More Mustard

Temp Turq, White, Kraft

Old Olive, Pretty in Pink, White, Soft Suede

Sage Shadow, White, Kraft

White on White with shimmer

For Halloween: only the traditional five: orange, black white, olive, purple

I can't imagine anything else for Halloween
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

I think traditional colors (reds/greens) are pretty. but
I love nontraditional colors. I really love pink & silver,
black and white, black and silver, navy and silver.
Lavender and silver, and finally pink and green.
I just love anything that reminds me of black velvet for the holidays, it comes
from looking at all those matchy outfits in the JCPenney catalog when I was a kid.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2009, 04:48 AM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks for the feedback all, it was interesting to me; hopefully to someone else as well.

For what it's worth, I didn't mean to be too specific, I was just after the feeling towards colors. What I mean by that is that my color examples were just intended to be examples, nothing more. I guess if I had to commit to color schemes, I would also include generic color families (any pastels for Easter, greens for St. Patrick's) burgundy for Christmas (or even Valentine's). Black, white (or off-white), and metallics would be freebies for any holiday versus looking around for the very last thing usually associated with any given holiday and using it.

Thanks again for sharing your perspective - it's important to keep your eyes open to how others view things, don't you think?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2009, 05:23 AM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

For the most part, I like traditional colors. However, sometimes I like to use a different shade of them to add a little something different. I also love white, silver and blue for Christmas/Winter cards. Burgundy and gold sounds GREAT! I need to try that one.

Sometimes I DO like to break completely out of the box and try different combos. I am working on some cards now with white bases, and I am using a metallic silvery blue paper with that. I have stamped various snowflakes for the background in metallic pink, light blue, lavender, silver, and beige. (Brilliance inks.) I am using white poinsettia flowers, pink ribbons, etc. They are turning out cute!
Reply With Quote Likes