Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-17-2009, 04:46 AM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Garage Sale Pricing

When you put stamps and other craft related supplies up for sale at a garage sale, how do you approach pricing? Do you slash prices in half because it's a garage sale, and people are looking for cheap? Or are you modest with, say, a 30 percent reduction? I'm having a sale tomorrow, and I always fumble with this pricing issue. For example, how much would you charge for an alphabet set that may have originally been around $30 or more?

Thanks for the help!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 04:51 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had an "in home" craft yard sale last month. I cut prices a lot because I did not want to deal with checks, shipping, figuring out who wanted what, etc. All my sets, SU, PTI, Flourishes, Gina K, Kitchen Sink, Inkadinkado, Cornish Heritage, etc. were priced at $5, $10 and $15. Single wood mounted -- most were $1, but none were more than $5.

A $30 set would have gone for $15 or $10, depending on how old and trendy it was.

Even with low prices, I still have 2/3 of my stuff left! However, I "made" $580, and that's nothing to sneeze at!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 05:07 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that you are fighting two issues.

Garage sale pricing mentality. People expect things for almost nothing. Literally pennies on the dollar and then they want to haggle. SO not my thing.

The economy. Hobby items are not as high on people's priority list as they were in the past. If people come to a garage sale looking for clothes for their kids, they are not likely to drop $15 on a stamp set. A specific sale for craft items will draw people who might be more willing to pay the prices you will want for your craft items.

BTW, I thought Joan's prices were more than fair.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink

Last edited by babydal57; 09-17-2009 at 05:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 05:10 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I have sold my sets, I too have slashed the prices, by more than half most of the time. I sell them because I don't use them anymore and would like someone else to enjoy them!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 05:11 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm thinking that the $5, $10, $15 pricing is probably what I'll do. This is part of a neighborhood garage sale, so I know it will draw a lot of people. But just to make sure that I'd send crafters my way, I posted my sale on Craigslist, and I already have one gal who wants to stop by tonight to look at my SU stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 05:16 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Well, when I sell craft materials (not just stamping) at a garage sale, I make them very, very inexpensive. Rare is the person who cares what you paid for it originally. Last year at our neighborhood garage sale, I had stuff priced at roughly 1/10th of its original cost or less; most of my stuff was in its original package, brand new, (as in it could have been hung back on the peg at the craft store it looked so new). I sold very little in general and even less paper crafting supplies.

I ended up keeping a little and giving the rest away, primarily to a retirement home, and the art dept. at school. I got no $ for that but at least a little satisfaction in recycling and hoping someone else will enjoy it.

I don't mean to discourage you, I've just never had any luck. Perhaps you'll be more successful. You never know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 05:27 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I had a sale this year and I advertised crafts and stamps. It worked out well if you use Craigslist or something like that ahead of time. I am with Joan you need to be fairly inexpensive. I would sell an alphabet for 9 or 10 depending on how old it was. Someone else mentioned that people are looking for a deal at a garage sale. I find under 10 people are more likely to pull out the wallet.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 05:37 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

When I sold some stamping/scrapbooking stuff at my summer yard sale it was priced dirt cheap but that was because I didn't want it coming back in my house. I had scrapbook paper at a nickel/sheet...punches were a dollar, I didn't sell any SU sets. I priced single wood mounted stamps at 50 cents or a dollar depending on how big it was. Small clear sets were 50 cents. I also packaged together misc items...a bunch of baby papers, die cuts and stickers and sold all of it for 75 cents. The most expensive thing I had out was a glass mat and blade runner combo that I had 10 dollars on and no one would even look at it, I knocked it down to 5 and it sold right away. But like I said I wanted to get rid of my stuff. Good luck at your sale.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 05:43 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Hmmm...maybe $1, $5, and $10 will be my maximum pricing! haha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 06:16 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

The LSS does a garage sale here where customers can rent a table. You don't have to be present to sell your stuff, which is nice, and they give you a gift card for the amount of your sales.

Anyway, I've gone to these sales for a few years now. I've noticed the very few SU sets sell over $10 unless they are brand new. One seller copied some examples from the catty and put them in w/the set. I think that helps some people who aren't as familiar w/SU sets.

Good luck w/your sale! Let us know how you did.

Helen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 06:30 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just sold a bunch of my SU sets. I put on the tag My price and below that I put SU sold for so that way they could see they wer at least half off and it really helped witht the sales.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 09:07 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Everyone goes to garage sales to get a great deal, no one cares what you paid. The rule of thmb that I read somewhere is to mark your stuff at 25% of what you paid for it. IMO garage sales are not the way to sell stamp sets unless you have stampers/crafters coming.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 11:13 AM   #13  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

When I had my garage sale I had some of my stamp sets priced as low as $3 and $4 and none of them sold. But yet I had an entire box of scrapbooking ribbon, cut outs, etc. and I sold the enire box for $45! It really depends if you get the right people.

Judy (the post above me) is correct, the rule of thmb is to mark your stuff at 25% of what you paid for it.

Did you try listing your stamps here?

Good luck with your sale!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 12:01 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I had a garage sale last summer, and out of all the things I had for sale, 1/3 were scrapping/stamping items, and I advertised that. I sold things very cheap - .25 for an individual stamp, $2 or $3 for sets. Someone offered to buy all the stamps I had left for a lump sum and I agreed. At general garage sales, people are looking for deals. A friend of mine had a "paper crafts only" sale a few years ago and advertised it as such to get the people who were truly interested. She was able to price her stuff a little higher for that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 12:07 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

I haven't had a garage sale and tried to sell anything but I have been to a couple this summer that seemed to me to have ridiculous prices on their stamps for a garage sale. I mean we are talking 25 and 30 bucks for a SU set. I felt that if they wanted that much for them they should have went to ebay ro something of that nature. But then again it's just my opinion
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I, too, had a garage sale aimed at the crafters in my area and as such, they were still expecting dirt-cheap prices. I'd say you'd be extremely lucky to get $15 for a set. The garage sale mentality seems to expect that kind of pricing. If not, they will definitely try to haggle the prices way down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 12:59 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have to say as the purchaser, I look for the big discounts. Unless I really really want the set. Recently I went to a sale (mother/daughter) and the mother had her stuff 50% off (the cattie prices) where as the daughter had hers full price. I browsed the daughter's stuff, but spent my $ on the mom's side. Alot of times, the higher priced items I know I can get elsewhere....ebay, trade/sell forums, etc.

My humble beginnings of a gallery
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=72605
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 01:56 PM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

If a stamp set is like new, my garage sale price is half the original price. If it is stained or otherwise not-so-new, I charge about $5 for a large set, less for small sets. If a set is worth more than that to you, you can always post it here and ask a higher price. A garage sale is a great way of cleaning out a lot of unwanted stamps and other crafting supplies in a short amount of time with a fairly good return. Have fun!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 02:45 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JudywView Post
Everyone goes to garage sales to get a great deal, no one cares what you paid. The rule of thmb that I read somewhere is to mark your stuff at 25% of what you paid for it. IMO garage sales are not the way to sell stamp sets unless you have stampers/crafters coming.
Ok lets say this worked in my area. I sold sets for anywhere between $5 to $20 and I made almost $300 that day. This was in my neightbors garage sale.
I did put the price that SU sold it and then my price so they can see they were getting it for at least 1/2 off and it worked for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 09:12 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

My stampin up demo sells her retired sets each year for $5 or $10 depending on the size of the set. She puts them out at workshops and calls it her garage sale.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 09:13 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm, maybe I overpriced some of my stuff. AACK!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 09:59 AM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

I usually price mine for 10-25% (max) of the original price. Typically, if I were buying I would be willing to pay up to 50% if it was something I was planning to buy already.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 10:01 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Yeah, I'd say super cheap! I put mine out for 50% the original price and people wanted cheaper - so I took them out of the sale. I didn't want to go cheaper than that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 10:04 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

I think it depends on the people and your motivation for selling. Are your "shoppers" likely to know SU and how much the products are worth? If so you can probably get away with selling them for a bit more. If not, than you will probably have to sell them for a bit less. Are you okay with having a lot left over? Then price them at the value you would prefer to get for them. If not, then price them to sell.

When I look for SU at thrift and garage sales I'm hoping to spend 8 dollars or less a set. I might go up to 10 for an alphabet I really really like. I would pay more for a rare set that I'd love to have (like Love Bakes), but mostly I'm looking for sets around 5 dollars. And, if I'm buying more than one set I want the person selling to take a couple of dollars off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 10:08 AM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
I had an "in home" craft yard sale last month. I cut prices a lot because I did not want to deal with checks, shipping, figuring out who wanted what, etc. All my sets, SU, PTI, Flourishes, Gina K, Kitchen Sink, Inkadinkado, Cornish Heritage, etc. were priced at $5, $10 and $15. Single wood mounted -- most were $1, but none were more than $5.

A $30 set would have gone for $15 or $10, depending on how old and trendy it was.

Even with low prices, I still have 2/3 of my stuff left! However, I "made" $580, and that's nothing to sneeze at!
I wish I was at your sale! Of course I would have gotten myself in trouble!:twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 10:14 AM   #26  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctabView Post
I would pay more for a rare set that I'd love to have (like Love Bakes), but mostly I'm looking for sets around 5 dollars.
Funny you should mention this set. I just sold my Love Bakes this morning. I kept deciding should I or shouldn't I sell it, but it was just sitting here and I never used it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 12:54 PM   #27  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'm pricing right now and so far my sets are averaging 75% off. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2009, 02:53 AM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

I went to a garage sale early this summer that advertised SU. I got there five minutes after it opened and there were only about three sets left and I only got one. They were old...from the late 90's. I got a baby set I thought I could use for scrapbooking. All the sets were $5.00 and went like wildfire....my friend did get there a bit earlier than me and said people were going crazy over them. I've been to different demo's sales and they are priced to sell. Between $7.00 and $10.00. My main SU demo (I have a few) just had a sale and some sets were $15.00. I did buy Window Dressings...that awesome hostess set with the arched window, cat, girl, etc for $15.00. I but some other hostess sets for $10.00. They were all soooo worth it. None of them had been used. I was happy with my $50.00 in purchases to say the least!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

I see you've already had your sale, but I though I'd add my 2 cents, since I love yard sales.

If I go to a yard sale that advertises that it has "stamping supplies", I expect to pay a little bit more than if someone has just one stamp set amongst a lot of other "junk".

However (and this is big), I wouldn't think of buying something at a yard sale for just 30% off the original price. I try to go by the yard sale rule of paying 25% of the original price for something. I might make an exception if it was something I really, really wanted and couldn't get elsewhere - AND if it was in like-new condition. But hey, I'm really cheap!

I hope your yard sale went well!
Reply With Quote Likes