Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-14-2004, 09:25 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you UNmount your stamps? How do your store your Stamps?

I've seen on some other site where some people keep all of their sets UNmounted so that it takes up less room. Do any of you do that? I would like to hear the pros and cons of both ways. Also would LOVE to hear stprage / organiztion methods
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 09:59 AM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

I know there are a couple of military wives in Japan on here that unmount their stamps, they have different hours than those of us on the east coast. Make sure you keep this to the top tonight you might get some great storage ideas.

As for me, I keep mine mounted and love it that way. I have them organized by number so it works very well for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 10:04 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

ok great :P

Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 02:09 PM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

Always happy to help!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 02:53 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I am in Japan, but am not one of the ones you need to talk to. I have started doing some of my non SU! and retired sets unmounted, and have gotten supplies from the same place that Joy and Kelli do (the others here) but still have not taken the plunge in unmounting all of my current sets. I have a problem with explaining to customers why I don't use the wood blocks (which I love, BTW, but just have storage issues) and why I would put them in books and use acrylic blocks instead. However, living over here, all of my customers would actually understand because they're in the same situation. I know that they get their supplies from www.sundayint.com. That's where I have bought stuff too.

HTH

BLINGO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 02:58 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you!! I'll check that site out. And yeah I could see how that would be a problem if you are a demo and NOT using the SU wooden blocks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 03:03 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Skype™ to neighbor_nancy
Default What do you think of the different systems of unmounteds?

I recently purchased the Halo system of acrylic blocks (http://www.halosrubberstamps.com/), which comes with an extra-strong set of velcro-like material. The acrylic blocks have a special section cut out into which the strips of velcro "hook" fit. One cuts the other portion of the velcro material to fit the rubber stamp. There is no cushion.

It is more work than I anticipated. Perhaps I'm not doing it correctly - but it also isn't giving me the crisp image I wanted (which may be a function of non-SU design/rubber as well).

I have heard of the acrylic cling systems, but not heard about the quality of the stamping. I have also heard that some (stampsmith.net) even suggest mounting on extra thick foam core board, which provides a bit of a cushion, but doesn't have the advantage of having less space.

Can we get some more feedback from others who have used the different mounting systems? So far I'm still sold on wood, but I'm open to other options. I have an entire room devoted to stamping, but even that room is becoming overrun - and I've just gotten rid of 20 sets!

Thanks for any feedback you might have!!

All my best,

Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 03:36 PM   #8  
Glitter Queen

I unmounted my older sets of stamps and am currently using the clear acrylic block system. I prefer it to the wood because I can see through and know exactly where I'm stamping. Any new stamps go right on to the clear acrylic sheets and are ready to use. I store the stamps in empty CD cases and stack them on my shelves. A paper insert goes in each one to show which stamps are inside. The label goes on the outside edge so they can be identified while stacked. This system works wonderfully for me as I have very limited space. They take up about 1/3 the space. The little extra work is well worth it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 03:55 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Skype™ to neighbor_nancy
Default Which system?

You mention you are using the clear acrylic block system, but there are many different kinds. Can you help explain how you mount your rubber? If not mounted on cushioned rubber already (like SU stamps come), do you mount on a cushion before you cut and then use the cling system?

Any additional specifics would be sooo helpful to many of us out here!

All my best,

Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 04:08 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Default Warning - this is long!

Hi Homemommie,

I am not a SU! demo, I do not live overseas BUT I do unmount all my stamps. I love this solution to my space issues and I will try to give you all the pros and cons as best as I can.

Pros:

Less storage issues. I keep my stamps arranged by sets stuck in an empty CD jewel case. I will put up a website at the end for photos to explain it better. I will also post some pictures of my sets. All my SU sets that are UM fit in a CD storage case that sits on top of my desk, but soon is making the transition to the wall.

All sets available to me at once. Before I had all my SU sets in a huge plastic tote under my desk. Man, was that a drag! Literally, I had to drag that tote out from under the desk, then look through all the plastic cases for the one I was looking for, and I had to dig through and rearrange, because they only fit in the tote by size, not by ABC's. This literally meant that I did not want to stamp as often because of the thought of having to do all that lugging around. Now they sit, in ABC order, on my desktop all nicely arranged in CD jewel cases that are all uniform in size. It is so much easier to transport when I need to go elsewhere to stamp. I can see all my sets, I have the titles from the original sticker on the spine of the CD case, reinforced with clear packing tape. I love this set up!

Weight and portability. This way is definately the best way to go if the weight of your sets in an issue. With me, when I was in SOCal, it became a huge issue to take all the stamps my friend wanted to use for a "playdate". The tub I used for transporting them would get so heavy, I always needed help carrying it. Now, for example, if I want to take anything baby themed, all I have to do is fish those sets out from the CD holder and take them in a shoebox. I can honestly say I could probably take 20 sets in one shoebox.

Organization. I have all my sets in front of me and they are all in ABC order. At a glance I can get the one I need or see if I have left one out under all my papers on my craft table. For the smaller sets, such as Itty Bitty Backgrounds and Delightful Doodles, if they are near each other in the alpahabet, two sets fit on one CD case! How cool is that? Even my larger sets, like DD Safari, all that fit in one case.

Acrylic blocks. These are the mounts needed for using all your UM stamps. It is only an initial investment of about 15.00 to 20.00, and then you have all the acrylic blocks you will ever need for ALL your stamp sets! And these can easily be storedin one of those empty stamp cases you won't need anymore As a matter of fact, I sold all my cases to some ladies here on SCS after I went UM.

See thru stamping. With the clear acrylic blocks, it is so much easier to do the two step stamping. Because you can see down to the cardstock, it is much easier to align your stamps on top of each image. Of course, the best way to see thru stamp is by using the CLEAR stamps made by other companies. But I have found from personal experience, that those clear stamps do not leave a sharp clear impression when inked up. I guess it is up to each person's personal preference.

Background stamping. You can use one of the larger acrylic blocks and put several tiny images on there, then stamp a background in nothing flat! Very handy if you are doing invitations or many thank you cards for gifts received, etc.

Cost. UM stamps are VERY much cheaper than wood mounted. You can do a simple search on Google or even Ebay for UM stamps and there are so many out there. Also, the SHIPPING is WAAAY cheaper when sending out UM, just the rubber. When ordering Woodmounted stamps, the wood is the heaviest part of your shipment. Something to consider if you are ona tight budget, which I always seem to be

Versatility. There is much more variety in UM than in one company's WM stamps. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE SU! designs, I have the 70+ CD cases to prove it But, I don't think I could ever find an Elvis stamp in their Catalog! With UM, you can shop at tons of different "stores" for just the specific type of stamp you want. One example, photography stamps.

Here are the CONS:

Trade or sale value. This would probably only apply to SU! or CTMH stamps. I am limited in what I can offer in trade for someone's set they want to get rid of. The majority of people on SCS I am sure, use and love their WM and would not consider trading WM for UM. So I guess I will have to start a thread for trading for UM purposes If I UM a set, I am stuck with it. Unless, like I mentioned, I find other like minded individuals and we can have an UM support group or something.

Demonstrators. UM is a no-no for demos, for the most part. A demo must be able to demo her supplies in the manner in which they are to be sold. She cannot demo UM stamps and then give her customers their order with WM. That would take a lot of explaining! I have read some posts here about someone doing that, and all her customers understand, but I don't know if SU! would be jiggy with that.

Stamp-a-ma-jig. This is the one thing I REALLY regret about my UM system. Not being able to use this wonderful tool. Although the clear block does allow for great precision in placement of stamps, there is nothing like being able to line the image up PERFECTLY. So far, I have managed to do my word and alpha stamps straight enough to pass muster. But I wish I could still use the SMJ.

Natural feel of WM. There is something to be said for using WM stamps. They have a certain feel and comfort about it. Your hand is familiar with the weight and shape of WM. I kind of got over that when I realized my savings in going with UM.

Switching between stamps onto the acrylic blocks. Some people have mentioned that it is too time consuming to have to put on a rubber die onto the block, then cleaning it, taking it off, getting another one, then putting that one on the block and starting over. I honestly don't mind doing that, and once you get the hang of it, it is no more time consuming than working with WM, I think. Remember, you are working with just a few different sized blocks for your whole collection of stamps. I have a few acrylic cubes that I jusy used with some of my small stamps. I put a stamp on 3 sides and that way I did not have to keep peeling off the rubber die to use my block with another.

Conversion. If you decide to go UM, you will have quite a project before you! Unless you only have a few sets you want to convert. I had over 70, so it took a couple of weeks, just a couple of hours a night. The rubber die has to be peeled off, the foam has to be peeled off. Then depending on what type of UM you want to go with, you have to attach EZ mount foam to your rubber die, cut around it, then you are set. EZ mount foam is an inexpensive foam that is super sticky on one side (attach to ruuber) and has a type of vinyl cling on the other (attaches to block). It works as a temporary but strong adherant to keep your stamp in place. Then it stores in the CD case, stuck on. Some poeple use binders with pages that are specially covered with a material that allows tha stamp to cling to the page. I like to keep my sets all together in one place, but seperated by set. So I opted to use the CDs.

Well, that is my rather long and exhaustive dissertation! I hope I have answered your questions thoroughly. Also, you might want to visit www.thestampingstudio.com. This is where I first got really turned around to converting my stamps to UM. They have great designs and all the accesories you could ever want. Also, when you buy a set from them, the EZ mount foam is included with the purchase. You can also buy sheets of EZ mount from them at a relatively cheap price, considering how many rubber dies you can fit on a whole sheet. There is a turorial on there explaing how to mount their stamps and how to store the UM. If you join up, you get great discounts too. But I found that their prices, even for non-members was very cheap, and the rubber is great quality. If you go check it out, please look at my "studio" Mari's musings. The owner is Melissa Baldwin and she is constantly gettign published, she is so creative!

Please feel free to email or PM if you have any more questions.

HTH, or at least didn't tire you out!

MrsDiffey

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/MrsDiffey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 04:17 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Here are some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Do you UNmount your stamps? How do your store your Stamps?-creeknov04_012.jpg  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 04:18 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I have PM'ed you.

Joy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 04:27 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Here is another picture with all my non SU! sets. I did this so I could keep better track of which company's set I was working with for sending stuff in to publish or posting here on SCS.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you UNmount your stamps? How do your store your Stamps?-creeknov04_013.jpg  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 05:02 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I leave my sets mounted and hang them in monoco bags on a rod in my armoire. I organize the sets by theme (all occasion such as little layers, a little love, the fine print, tags & more, etc. Baby, get well, Christmas, say it (anything with words), etc. I do have to get up to get the set I want to use but I love the storage and the look, very clean looking. I think I'm going to copy the idea of making copies before I mount any new stamps so I can keep a book right by my desk. That's a great idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 05:07 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by swissstamper
I leave my sets mounted and hang them in monoco bags on a rod in my armoire.
What is a monoco bag?

Thanks-
MrsDiffey

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2004, 06:58 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Monaco bags are bags you used to see at the library for cassette tapes. They are clear plastic bags with sturdy handles that snap together to form a hangar and I hang that on a dowel rod in a kitchen pantry I got from Lowe's to store my stamps and accessories. Here is a link: http://www.hangupbags.com/filebags.htm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2004, 07:58 AM   #17  
Glitter Queen

I don't think I could have explained it any better than MrsDiffey. I would just add a few things.

I can still use my stamp-a-ma-jig. It works just the same as with WM stamps.

I use a Sharpie pen to write the name of the SU set or the maker of other stamps on the acrylic side of the UM stamps. That way I always know where they came from.

I don't take off the foam from the SU sets. I just stick them to the clear vinyl sheets that I get from Sundayint.com.

I love this system and would be totally in favor of having a place to trade UM stamp sets.

Sharon
Reply With Quote Likes