Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-09-2008, 07:04 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sizzix & Nestibilities

I'm thinking about purchasing some of the Nestibilities dies. I was planning on buying a Cuttlebug machine to use with them until I found out that I could use them in my original Sizzix machine (the red one). I also understand that the original Sizzix red machine does a really nice job of cutting and embossing with the Nestibilities. I searched many sites and found directions for using the Nestibilities in the original Sizzix machine, but I'm confused as to what I really need and where I can find the spacer plates and mats I need. The Spellbinders site states that you need the Spellbinders Spacer Plate #W 004 on the Sizzix red machine to cut with and the Spellbinders Tan Embossing mats to emboss with. I'm having trouble locating a supplier that carries the #W 004 Spacer Plates. Every Spacer Plate I've located seems to be for the new Wizard machine, so I'm assuming it won't work with the Sizzix original because of the size. Also, the only Tan Embossing mat I can find is either 5x7 inches or 12x12 (I know I could cut those two sizes down if need be). Any suggestions as to where I could find these (any stores or on-line) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2008, 07:09 PM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know exactly what the spacer plate is - but I will tell you what I use - I have nestabilities and the old red Sizzix and I have been able to use them with the System Converter and also the Adapter plates (Sizzix) I understand that it is possible (perhaps) to use a plumbing gasket of some kind to emboss with - but I use the tan embossing mat. Hope that helps.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I use my old red Sizzix to cut my Nesties and it works great. You do need the embossing mat and white plastic spacer plate...I bought both online but I can't for the life of me remember where from. Mine came two each to a package and they measure approx. 4 x 6, which is the perfect size for the Sizzix, I think the 5 x 7 would be too big to fit in the Sizzix. Sorry, I even checked my packaging to see if there was a sticker of where I purchased them from but there is nothing. The rubber mat would be easy to cut to fit, the plastic sheet might be a little trickier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2008, 07:34 PM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

CropStop.com sells the embossing mat (they come 2 to a pack for a little under 7.00) and the crop stop acrylic adapter which is just under 4.00

I just ordered these items for my original red sizzix and they work great!
SHipping is fat and it goes out the same day if ordered before 1 pm ET.

Hope that helps.

Jill
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2008, 07:51 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

"SHipping is fat" - it really should go on a diet ... ;-)

I haven't bought anything special to use the nesties in the original sizzix. I built up the platform bit with a couple sheets of chipboard and then have used one of those really thin mats - sort of like a mouse mat - for the embossing bit. Works a treat. :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2008, 05:22 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

So,the cuttlebug can be used with the nestabilities? I'm bidding on the cuttlebug and I hope it will work w/these some how. What special mat do I buy. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2008, 11:48 AM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

Hiya,

I have a Zipemate and am able to cut one of the scalloped circles, but when it comes to embossing it, I have to use the shim, plus an additional 2 scraps of card and it still only gives a partial impression. Does anyone else have this problem using the Zipemate, or should I be doing something different?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2008, 03:40 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anybody know how to use the Nestabilities with the new Sizzix Big Kick? I have the rubber embossing pad to use with the texture plates, and I have the converter platform, along with the two clear plates. Do I need to buy anything else to get the Nestabilities to work? I haven't bought them yet. I am getting the large classic scalloped ovals.

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2008, 04:18 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Cropstop.com has tons of great tutorials. Don't know if they can help you but it's worth a look.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2008, 05:00 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2008, 09:30 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use the nesties in my CB all the time...Love my CB.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 05:56 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

see the comment here on the W004 - i was having same issue.
http://www.thecraftbin.com/spellbind...cer-plate.html

I didn't sand, having hubby cut it down with saw for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

I have the old red sizzix which I bought years and years ago. I hadn't used it in ages until I got my first CB folder. Then I got the nesties. It works great with both. In fact, I like "old red" for the embossing becuase, unlike the other machines, there is no sandwich required. Just insert the paper in the folder, put the folder in the machine and press down.

As far as the nesties, I did not purchase any special mats or spacers - besides the Sizzix converter plate which I already had. For cutting, I place the paper on the white plate (that comes with the machine) then the nestie, ridge side down, then I made a spacer of three pieces of chipboard cut to 4-1/2" x 6" and taped together and put that next. Run it through the machine, pressing down over where the die is.

For embossing, I put the die down first, ridge side up, then the paper inserted in it, then I use a piece of plumber's gasket and one layer of chipboard and press.

The plumbers gasket comes in a sheet about 8" square. It comes in 2 thicknesses. I chose the thinner one. It's easy to trim to size. And best part is it cost less than $1.

"Old Red" won't work with some of the new bigger dies or the texture plates that SU is selling now because they are bigger than the opening of the machine. But I don't own those so that doesn't matter to me.

And, no offense to CB owners, but I tried one out extensively at a friend's house and didn't care for it. I hated having to hold it down while cranking so it wouldn't move around. And I didn't like having to make new sandwiches for each time I wanted to do something different with it. I'll keep "old red".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you ladies!! I have been trying for a week to get it to work. Just left Archivers, with no plate. I just used my acrylic ruler I "used" to use for sewing. It worked like a charm! Now to use my Michael's coupon for a smaller one>>>>>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a good video on different machines on how to use nesties in them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m51gPhNmywY
It has CB and old red sizzix and others, just have to watch until your machine comes on. HTH!

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2009, 07:35 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

I use a plumbers rubber sheet too, I bought it for 59 cents a sheet and cut it down, I have used nesties in my old red sizzix, and the cuttle bug, but like the revolution b/c the base is magnatized so they stay where I put them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2009, 08:05 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Oh wow, I'm so glad that I can use these in my old red sizzix. I hadn't bought any nesties because I didn't think that you could use them in it. Great informational videos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks so much for the link...it was most helpful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2009, 03:11 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you all for the info. I bought my first Nesties and was so scared when it didn't cut. I couldn't get an acrylic mat to layer on top, but used my quilting ruler and now it works perfect!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2010, 12:17 AM   #20  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by peebsmamaView Post
I have the old red sizzix which I bought years and years ago. I hadn't used it in ages until I got my first CB folder. Then I got the nesties. It works great with both. In fact, I like "old red" for the embossing becuase, unlike the other machines, there is no sandwich required. Just insert the paper in the folder, put the folder in the machine and press down.

As far as the nesties, I did not purchase any special mats or spacers - besides the Sizzix converter plate which I already had. For cutting, I place the paper on the white plate (that comes with the machine) then the nestie, ridge side down, then I made a spacer of three pieces of chipboard cut to 4-1/2" x 6" and taped together and put that next. Run it through the machine, pressing down over where the die is.

For embossing, I put the die down first, ridge side up, then the paper inserted in it, then I use a piece of plumber's gasket and one layer of chipboard and press.

The plumbers gasket comes in a sheet about 8" square. It comes in 2 thicknesses. I chose the thinner one. It's easy to trim to size. And best part is it cost less than $1.

"Old Red" won't work with some of the new bigger dies or the texture plates that SU is selling now because they are bigger than the opening of the machine. But I don't own those so that doesn't matter to me.

And, no offense to CB owners, but I tried one out extensively at a friend's house and didn't care for it. I hated having to hold it down while cranking so it wouldn't move around. And I didn't like having to make new sandwiches for each time I wanted to do something different with it. I'll keep "old red".
Hi, Just wanted to say thank you for the advice on using "old red" for the nesties! I had my old red for a long time - it was the first die cut machine that I bought and never thought to use my nesties in it. When I started looking for that spacer plate (that is now discontinued) i was sad that I couldn't find it. But in reading your post about the chipboard, I decided to give that a try and it worked out PERFECTLY! my nesties cut GREAT and the embossing is much better than in my Big Shot! Thank you again, this really helped me A LOT!

Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2010, 08:38 AM   #21  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by joydView Post
Hi, Just wanted to say thank you for the advice on using "old red" for the nesties! I had my old red for a long time - it was the first die cut machine that I bought and never thought to use my nesties in it. When I started looking for that spacer plate (that is now discontinued) i was sad that I couldn't find it. But in reading your post about the chipboard, I decided to give that a try and it worked out PERFECTLY! my nesties cut GREAT and the embossing is much better than in my Big Shot! Thank you again, this really helped me A LOT!

Mahalo!
Have you looked on e-bay?? You might find it there.

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2010, 12:41 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Old Red

Quote:

Originally Posted by joydView Post

Mahalo!
I bought an acrylic quilting ruler that is the right size of the plate ti use with my Nesties. I lay the paper down, Nestie and the ruler.
I too don't care for all the wrangling with which plate where with the others.
Heaven forbid when I wear it out!
Reply With Quote Likes