Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-14-2004, 05:29 AM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Listen to THIS craft show story!

I was a vendor at a local middle school fall bazaar yesterday. I make beaded dress-up crowns, wands, headbands, tutus, etc. for little girls. (I purchased Pretty Princess to make cards to go with but only had time to make a few) The bazaar was in two rooms. At one point when it seemed a little slow, I walked into the other room to check out all the vendors. Lo, and behold, a Stampin Up demonstrator was there, with all of her display boards up, catalogs out, parties ready to plan, AND BOXES AND BOXES OF CARDS FOR SALE. Hey STAMPIN UP, how do you expect us to obey your non-angel policies when your DEMOS are not doing it???? I didn't get her name, because I have my own demo and needed to scoot back to my own table, but I was REALLY ANNOYED because I have turned down offers to have my cards in some specialty gift stores. :?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 05:37 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it is hard when you try to obey the rules and you see someone who do not. Last year I went to a craft fair and there was a demo who was selling a bunch of stamps and items like Watercolor pencils, ink pads, along with her cards. I said hi to her but she never introduced me who she was. (Go figure)

I am wondering, though, if she had a display of the cards she was selling. A friend of mine who is not a demo had a display board of the cards she was selling at a craft show. She also sold my old catties for me which is okay to do (I think you can even sell current ones at craft shows).

The company changed the regs this summer and I think (not 100% sure though) that it is now okay to sell your cards at retail locations as long as it is not a competitive business like a craft store or scrapbook store. So if you have a chance to sell your cards at a speciality store, you may want to check it out. I know a friend of mine was trying to sell her cards at her mom's attorney's office.

Hope your craft show went well and you had fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 05:38 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Actually, the angel policy does allow you to sell handmade cards at non-permanent retail locations as long as you use one of the Handmade with Love stamps on the back. Since you were at a school craft show, you would have been allowed to sell cards.

However, if this demo was there as a demonstrator (selling catalogs and booking workshops), she was not allowed to be there as a crafter as well. That is clearly stated in the demonstrator manual.

I hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 05:39 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh Honey,
You can sell all the cards you want at a temporary location like a bazzar or fair. Just make sure you stamp the back with an Angel Policy stamp.
You cannot sell them at a permanent location like a store front.
Teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom. Psalm 90:12

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 05:41 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

There was a post on the Stampin' Up website that said it is ok to sell catalogs at a craft fair with your other handmade things but that is the only thing you can sell if you are a "crafter" at the show and not a "demonstrator".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 05:51 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiChi Allen
The company changed the regs this summer and I think (not 100% sure though) that it is now okay to sell your cards at retail locations as long as it is not a competitive business like a craft store or scrapbook store. So if you have a chance to sell your cards at a speciality store, you may want to check it out. I know a friend of mine was trying to sell her cards at her mom's attorney's office.
Where did you hear this? I was always afraid to submit any of my stamped creations to shopSCAD, the Savannah College of Art and Design's gallery store, because of the "permanent retail" restriction. This store sells items made by SCAD students, faculty and alumni. I've wanted to try tumbled tiles and take another stab at dominoes, but never did because I really don't have much personal use for them. From what I've seen, though, the kinds of folks who buy merchandise from shopSCAD would love them.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 06:06 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

A little off topic but I have been really annoyed with all of the hand stamped cards on ebay this time of year. So clearly against policy but no one is doing anything about it.

Joy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 06:11 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Default Listen to this craft show story

No, this woman was definitely doing the demo thing AND selling stuff. I didn't question her on this because I am not trying to be the stamp police. I would have had my own cards there, I know I can do that, and I have the angel stamps, I just ran out of time trying to finish my other stuff first! (Although I did have pretty princess tags on some of the dress-up gift baskets and I definitely think that added to them all selling out!) What's annoying is someone else always getting away with breaking the rules, ya know? And also nobody really being that sure what the rules are.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 06:11 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I too found the posting from SU from a couple of months ago confusing and emailed them about it.

As a demonstrator, if you're at a craft sale demonstrating and displaying, then you can sell your catalogs, take orders, etc. (This is not a change in their policy, they were only reminding demo's that they can do this.)

Also, this is not to be confused with a craft sale that you are selling handmade items at (not wearing your demonstrator "hat", so to speak.)

I think some demo's get confused as to which role they assume in different situations. I think to can keep things straight by the following, when you are selling your handmade items, you are no longer acting as a demonstrator, you are now a crafter selling their handmade items (SU or non-SU).

Hope this helps.
Dawn
Check out my FREE DOstamping Resource Library with hundreds of videos, tutorials, stamping techniques, templates and more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 06:26 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Default I feel your pain!

I was recently in a craft show promoting my SU business. I sold absolutly nothing other than Catalog's. I had lots of my stuff with me showing the products too. When I walked in the morning of the fair, there was another lady there with all kinds of cards, and handmade items. What really blew my mind as I was standing there, is when she put on her black SU apron. My husband was standing there with me and he said he could see the fire coming outta my ears!
Anyways, the fair was at my work and some of my coworkers came over...they spoke to the other woman and she was very nasty to them. Especially when she found out me and the other co-worker were both demo's. Then to top it off, I went over to say hello...really just trying to be nice...and she was rude to me. Then I found out she is part of my SU demo group...
Now how disheartning is that to be following the rules and run into someone who is blatantly not following them...knows it, and on top of it is very rude!
UGH I was mad!

But on a bright note, I got to stamp all day and be off work!

Christina

wife to Michael, Mother to 3 beautiful girls-Jordan, Emery, & Leah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 06:43 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

I am a SU Demo and went to a craft fair a couple weekends ago at our local High School. There was a SU booth there & she had SOOOOOO much stuff sat out for sale, display, catalogs, and was stamping away. She had about 15 women gathered around her & I was so mad. I wasn't exactly sure on the Craft Fair policy, but I had a very strong feeling she shouldn't be demoing & selling at the same time. Now I see why. That is not fair. I just wonder if some demo's don't bother checking the policies before-hand. I know I wasn't sure about it. Maybe they just think it is OK since they are Demo's. Who knows? :?

Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 06:56 AM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

Default Appreciate your feedback

As a new demo I am aware of the expectations -- at a craft fair, you are either a demonstrator and promoting in-home or workshop events and taking orders OR you are a crafter and selling handmade cards and prioducts with the Angel stamp on the back.

Now my question for your feedback -- my 10 year old daughter and I are going to a craft fair at our little school (fundraiser put on by the parent group).

SHE has been making cards, using a combination of my non-Stampin Up scrapbook papers and stamps, and my Stampin Up stamps. Anything with Stampin Up products will have an angel policy stamp on the back. (She makes these all by herself and they look great -- with that kid's touch of being slightly over-embellished and interesting color combinations.)

Do you think that I can also be on the other half of the table as a Demonstrator, demoing techniques, taking draw tickets and booking in-home workshops? Is that fair? (I will have no products made by me for sale.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 06:57 AM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiChi Allen
The company changed the regs this summer and I think (not 100% sure though) that it is now okay to sell your cards at retail locations as long as it is not a competitive business like a craft store or scrapbook store.
Here is the policy change ChiChi is talking about:

"Demonstrators may participate in events at commercial retail locations as long as those retail locations are not competitive retail locations (i.e., a demonstrator can conduct an event in an extra room at the library but not in a scrapbooking store). The manual now contains definitions of the following terms: permanent retail location, competitive permanent retail location, and noncompetitive retail location."

When I first read this I thought, "we can put our cards at retail locations" and then on 2nd read I noticed it said "can participate in events". So does this mean we still cannot put out cards on a permanent basis? I think it only pertains to holding events at retail places such as their example of the library room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 08:25 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Default listen to this craft show story

Even if YOU were to hesitate to sell your cards at the retail location (non-competitive) because of the way you interpret the policy, I'm sure SOMEONE ELSE will twist the meaning and think they can. To me, the bottom line is, Stampin' Up, when are you going to get wise and change your policy? Don't you realize I (and tons of other HONEST stampers like me) will buy MORE of your stamps if I can sell my creations retail? I can't spend all my time sitting at these craft shows! One or two is fun, but the turnout is as unreliable as the weather.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 08:35 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Default Craft Fair Issue

A while back I wrote to SU and they sent me an answer on this craft fair issue. I still have it in my inbox. If you would like me to forwarded it to you please email me at my personal email address from your address and I would be happy to forwarded the message to you. I have come to the conclusion that there are always going to be people out there that do not follow the rules but I'm going to do things right the best way I know how and I know that the Lord will bless me for that. Carol
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 08:49 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

They recently changed the policy to allow us to participate in events at non-competition retail locations... temporary events. (That means you can't have a table at Michael's or Jo-Ann's should they have a fair of some sort but you can at the mall) Nothing else about the policy has changed and frankly, when you hear their explanation, I'm totally ok with that. This change was HUGE and it opens up lots of possibilities.

If someone can buy a card from a retail location, and not have to worry about buying the stamp and cardstock and all the goodies that goes with it... then what is their motivation for carving out a few moments to learn how to do it themselves?? If people can buy the stamps at a retail location, then they wouldn't need demos or hostess benefits...

I will admit that I was a bit annoyed at first that I couldn't do both, be demo and crafter if I wanted to, but frankly it's not worth the annoyance. As a crafter, which provides plenty of gratification, I can put in a flyer or business card in their bag announcing that I do classes and give them an incentive to book a show, and leave it to them to call me back. It's called advertising which is absolutely acceptable within the rules. Call demo support and verify it for yourself.

SU is not that different from other companies and their stamps are awesome, and well, I think that dwelling on the "injustice" of their policies is pointless.

Better to focus on those that break the rules and ruin it for those that don't. Get their names and report them... I don't mind being part of the stamp police, someone has to. And it prevents frustration like that shown here...

:shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 09:01 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Default Conscience check...

Okay, - maybe you ladies can give me some clarification here. I'm doing a craft show next weekend. I have cards, tiles, candles, etc to sell. I will not be demonstrating anything and will not have any catalogs for sale. However, I was planning on putting up a little sign - kind of "I can show you how this is done" type thing and having my business cards out. Does this break the rules? I'm going as a crafter, but really it's also to get my name out as a demo. Is this okay??

Thanks!!
-Shannon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 09:03 AM   #18  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

I just wonder if some demo's don't bother checking the policies before-hand.
My opinion is that there are some who know the policies and blatently ignore them. It sure makes it difficult for those of us who follow the rules.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 09:08 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

I have to agree with Stampin Patriot, although she worded it so much better than I would have.

If people can buy cards made from Stampin Up in all kinds of locations, they don't need us. I want to build my business and I couldn't do that if everyone can just buy their cards from a local retail store.

I've only done one craft fair and it was a horrible mess. I know now that if I had went as a demonstrator instead of a crafter I would have liked my results alot better. There was so much work into making everything and displaying it just right. I went in the hole on it. It was such a loss. Had I went as a demo my expectations would have been to get contacts, not sales. Plus I could have spent a lot less time preparing. I think the next craft fair I do will be as a demo. I had thought about doing a craft fair this weekend and unload some of the stuff I bought. But now, thanks to this thread, I think i will go as a demo and give the stuff that I made away to hostesses, gifts with purchase or gifts for Christmas.

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 09:09 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Default Sorry about this post

I know this doesn't belong on this thread but how do I post a new topic. It won't let me do it?
Thanks in advance.
Gina Krupsky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 09:23 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Shannon, since you're going as a crafter, you can't have anything visible with the SU logo on it. As long as you don't use the company name or logo, you should be ok.

I would suggest that you create a half sheet flyer and add it to any purchase made. You could also have a "registry" book for folks to sign up for more information.

Good Luck!

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 09:29 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

To me, the bottom line is, Stampin' Up, when are you going to get wise and change your policy? Don't you realize I (and tons of other HONEST stampers like me) will buy MORE of your stamps if I can sell my creations retail?
SU! is in the business of selling stamps and accessories that go with stampin period! Their retail selling is done through independent demonstrators instead of stores. If they wanted to get into the business of being a wholesale supplier for crafters, that is what they would have done. They, instead, decided to go the retail route. As a demonstrator, I fully understand their policy and do abide by it.

astraea54 wrote:
Quote:

However, I was planning on putting up a little sign - kind of "I can show you how this is done" type thing and having my business cards out.
If you are a demonstrator for SU! then you CANNOT use any non-approved items that have the SU! logo on it to promote your business at the craft event. You can, however, hand out your business cards to those who ask for them. You can, as someone previously stated, put a flyer (business card, technique book, etc) in their bag of goodies. That's advertising. Just don't display a large sign/apron etc with the SU! logo on it. I'd even be careful about using SU! in your conversations with your customers. Instead of saying something like "I'm an independent demonstrator for SU!" say more ambiguous things like "I'm a rubber stamping demonstrator and I do ....." I've found that most people who buy at craft fairs are not interested in learning stamping; they want the finished product because, usually, they don't have the time available to make things. My $1.45 for the day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 09:30 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Appreciate your feedback

Quote:

Originally Posted by BiscottiMaker
Now my question for your feedback -- my 10 year old daughter and I are going to a craft fair at our little school (fundraiser put on by the parent group).

SHE has been making cards, using a combination of my non-Stampin Up scrapbook papers and stamps, and my Stampin Up stamps. Anything with Stampin Up products will have an angel policy stamp on the back. (She makes these all by herself and they look great -- with that kid's touch of being slightly over-embellished and interesting color combinations.)

Do you think that I can also be on the other half of the table as a Demonstrator, demoing techniques, taking draw tickets and booking in-home workshops? Is that fair? (I will have no products made by me for sale.)
I believe that would indeed be a violation of the policy, especially being at the same table, too . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 09:33 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am not a demo - so maybe I shoudn't post here. I do not sell my cards but have given lots to charities to sell wherever. I am not going to tell them where or how or when they can sell my cards. I do not use an angel stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 09:34 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Conscience check...

Quote:

Originally Posted by astraea54
Okay, - maybe you ladies can give me some clarification here. I'm doing a craft show next weekend. I have cards, tiles, candles, etc to sell. I will not be demonstrating anything and will not have any catalogs for sale. However, I was planning on putting up a little sign - kind of "I can show you how this is done" type thing and having my business cards out. Does this break the rules? I'm going as a crafter, but really it's also to get my name out as a demo. Is this okay??

Thanks!!
-Shannon

No, not OK; yes, breaks rules. You can hand out your biz cards if someone ASKS for it. I also believe you can tuck one into the bag of each purchase. But the sign is a no-no.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 09:40 AM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

heresrita wrote:

Quote:

SU! is in the business of selling stamps and accessories that go with stampin period! Their retail selling is done through independent demonstrators instead of stores. If they wanted to get into the business of being a wholesale supplier for crafters, that is what they would have done. They, instead, decided to go the retail route. As a demonstrator, I fully understand their policy and do abide by it.

I'm not trying to be confrontational but I'd have no problem with the policy if the policy was consistent (re: craft show sales vs. retail store sales) and if everyone was abiding by it! I was abiding by the policy yesterday, the cards I had for sale with my other items were stamped with the SU stamp on the back. It was the DEMO who was not following the rules. Why does SU even allow craft show sales, then if they don't want anyone to sell cards made with their stamps?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 09:40 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

For anyone that has a question about what breaks the rules and what doesn't in regards to craft fairs, your best bet is to email Demonstrator Support. While it is very helpful to read the questions and answers here, none of us wrote the book. Demonstrator Support has all of those answers and they are more than willing to help out. I've always gotten very good repsonses from them. Then you can post your question with the correct answer so everyone knows it.

There's my 2 cents on the matter.

Mo

Monica Stockton SCS #2687
Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Alexandria, VA

www.monicastockton.stampinup.net
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/skpupy68
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 09:41 AM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

Default craft show

Oops, second paragraph there was not part of hererita's quote. Sorry, I didnt end my quotation properly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 10:07 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

nancystamps: I, too, was not trying to be confrontational. I was just trying to list the info as succinctly as possible. I also am not taking issue with your integrity in what/how you are selling your cards.

I think the answer to your question is that SU! realises the cards will be sold anyways and they want to be as accomodating as possilbe. However, their main purpose is to sell stamps, and as many of them as possible. If someone can easily buy the homemade stamped items, then there is not the "need" created for buying the actual rubber stamps (and accessories/tools etc). I think SU! is taking part of Economics 101 "Find a need and fill it" and putting a twist to it: "Create and need then fill it".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 10:10 AM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

Default Craft Fair Issues

I agree with Monica in that if you have a question about policies you should probably go to the source. I have written them before and asked questions and they get back to me within a couple days. That way I have it in writing and I know for sure what the rules really are. Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 10:24 AM   #31  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

I can put in a flyer or business card in their bag announcing that I do classes and give them an incentive to book a show, and leave it to them to call me back.
I was actually told a few weeks ago by Demo Support that this is also a "no-no" - while at a craft fair as a crafter, you can *only* tell them about SU! if they ask about it, and then you can only give them your card. You can not gather their information for the purpose of contacting them later for sales, etc.

You have to pick to be one or the other at things like craft fairs - if you sell cards and things you made, you can not mention SU and you can not even sell catalogs. If you demonstrate, take orders, and talk about SU, then you can sell catalogs - but nothing else. And absolutely no stockpiling of SU merchandise (stamp sets, blender pens, ink pads, whatever) to sell at the show - the catalogs are the *only* items you can sell on a cash and carry basis if you are there as a demonstrator.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 10:28 AM   #32  
Embossing Fanatic

Oh - and she gave me a pretty decent explaination as to why they do this...

Imagine if someone was trying to sell poorly made cards at a show. Their colors were off, they were just ... not well made. Meanwhile, they were going on and on about how great SU is, and how they use SU stuff to make their (poorly made) cards, and how you too could buy SU stuff from them to make your own cards.

Customers could walk away with a bad impression. "Why would I want to buy SU stuff? Those cards were nothing that great..." Then SU gets a bad reputation in their minds.

Granted, they could run in to the bad demo anywhere, but ... it's Stampin' Up's need to protect the brand, to protect their image, and to ultimately protect us. They firmly believe in one-on-one party types of demonstrations, and therefore their rules are set up in support of that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 10:32 AM   #33  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

As a demonstrator, if you're at a craft sale demonstrating and displaying, then you can sell your catalogs, take orders, etc. (This is not a change in their policy, they were only reminding demo's that they can do this.)

Also, this is not to be confused with a craft sale that you are selling handmade items at (not wearing your demonstrator "hat", so to speak.)
All right, I am now thoroughly confused! I thought you could sell your things at a Craft Fair and sell catalogs. Is it an either/or situation. I have also heard people on this board talk about selling cards and taking bookings. Please help!!

"Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think." Buddha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 10:35 AM   #34  
Embossing Fanatic

I was told that if I was selling cards, I could absolutely not take bookings. I could only hand them my business card if they asked for it, and have them call me at a later date. I could not even take down their information or contact them to set up a booking.

I was also told I could not sell catalogs if I was selling cards. Selling catalogs is only if you are there on a demo basis, not as a crafter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 10:51 AM   #35  
Crimping Master

Default Re: Craft Fair Issues

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol Shafer
I agree with Monica in that if you have a question about policies you should probably go to the source. I have written them before and asked questions and they get back to me within a couple days. That way I have it in writing and I know for sure what the rules really are. Carol

I agree. I do have a question though.....I called customer support and asked them about posting my cards on this site. I was asking about what the guidelines were on posting the copyright stuff that some do and some don't include. They told me that I wasn't allowed to post my cards to show on any website. Just after reading this post I know that you ladies wouldn't break that if it were a rule.....so.........what do you think?
I'm a bit confused by what they tell me sometimes.

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 10:53 AM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

Default selling stamps vs. buying cards

heresrita makes an interesting point....if people can easily buy the cards they won't buy the stamps to make the cards. I don't know if I agree with that because (as a stamper) if I see a really cool card, I want to buy it THEN go buy the stamp set to make my own. It is the same here in the gallery. If I see a really cool card, it makes me want to go buy the set as well. Other stampers' creations are great guidelines for me too.

Also, I find that people who are not crafty at all or who never heard of stamping just want to buy/receive or give the card because they are such an original product.

Does this comment even belong in this discussion? Sorry!

(p.s. hi "nancystamps!" My wonderful sister-in-law)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 11:09 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

I agree. If someone wants to buy the card and not the stamps it shouldn't be any sweat off of us demos anyway, because that is the case all the time. Lots of people buy cards in retail stores with no desire at all to make them themselves.

We as demonstrators would have another real market for making money because our cards would be in demand and we would need to renew supplies including stamps to keep up with that demand. We can make money selling cards, and we can make money off of volume rebate.

We'll still get others interested in making the cards too and wanting to be demos or customers for themselves. The person who buys the card who is crafty would more than likely want to buy the stamps for themselves. So I think there is plenty of business all the way around.

My 2 cents. I wish SU would change the retail restrictions on their policy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 12:36 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I was actually told a few weeks ago by Demo Support that this is also a "no-no" - while at a craft fair as a crafter, you can *only* tell them about SU! if they ask about it, and then you can only give them your card. You can not gather their information for the purpose of contacting them later for sales, etc.
This is true if you are advertising using SU! names, logos etc. If you advertise as an independent demonstrator who gives classes and do not mention SU! anywhere on your flyer then there is nothing they, SU!, can do! All you have said is "Hey, I can teach you ...." If someone asks which products you will be using, then you can tell them.

PS. bolded for emphasis (I'm not shouting).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 01:31 PM   #39  
Kookie Creator

I hate it when I hear about demos breaking the rules. The only things I have to say here are for those of you who choose not to be the "stamp police," please reconsider.

The only way to stop people from doing things against policy is to scare them and let them know people (other demos AND customers) are watching and do care about it. They think no one knows the rules and no one cares. Grab one of thier business cards and report them to SU through the website. That is virtually anonymous and promotes no direct confrontation. Prove that we do care when people don't follow the rules. Demos doing this are risking thier demo status and apparently don't care.

I know that this sounds mean, but demos are selling on ebay and doing other things that are even worse than selling a few cards at a craft show. This affects all of the honest demos out there, and really gives Stampin' Up a poor showing overall. Not to mention all of the demos who see these things and don't realize they are breaches of policy. That issue creates a snowball effect and promotes further mismanagement of demo businesses.

This is coming from a demo who expects nothing less from her customers and associates. If I were doing something against policy I would want to know, and I am not interested in operating in the grey area where the rule book is concerned.

As customers and fellow demos, please consider making an effort to stop dishonest people!

Please follow my blog.... I am typing into cyberspace! www.centsablesaving.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2004, 02:19 PM   #40  
Rubber Obsessor

All of my responses are a direct result of me talking with SU directly. The understanding I have was noted in a log and I have an "incident number" to prove any of my actions, based on our discussion are allowed.

Now if they are wrong, it's no longer my fault. I have proof that I got permission from to company to do exactly what I said I was going to.

As mentioned earlier... if you have an idea of what you want to do, write it out clearly and call them up. You'll have 1st hand knowledge of what you can and can not do.

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes