Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-25-2004, 11:19 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which stamp pads do you prefer? Help!

I'm in a quandry on how to start my SU inkpad collection. So....I'm curious as to which type(s) you prefer.

Do most of you suggest the "classic" (dye based) for everyday stamping/card making VERSUS the "craft" (pigment) ink pads?

What about the Stampin Spots? Would that be the way to go, so that I could get most all of the colors at one time (since they're less expensive)?

I've heard that if you get the "classic" ink pads and an embossing pad that you can stamp the embossing pad FIRST, then the classic pads SECOND to pick up color for embossing with clear embossing powder. Is that a possiblity?

Also......what color group do you love (use) the most?

Sorry to ask sooo many questions - HA!!

Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 11:25 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Popular opinion seems to be the spots are a great way to go, so you have all colors and you're not dropping a lot of money!

Personal preference dictates which one are used most.

I used to be of the opinion that pigment ink (craft) was the way to go, but for regular stamping on cardstock, I find that the dye ink (classic) is fine, and dries quicker...

This of course is just mho (my humble opinion) only.

Happy stamping!

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 11:25 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Classic pads almost exclusively. I say Classics because it is WAY easier to ink up larger stamps with those as opposed to the Spots. I have both, but use the big pads much more often! The kids love the spots, though, and they have been great sellers for those wanting to use alphabet sets. Small, portable, and a great way to get all the colors economically till you figure out your favorites.

Yes you can use the versamark & emboss, too.

OH! And I am a Bold Brights girl, for sure!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 11:32 AM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I use the Classic pads right now. I have three of the color families in the Stampin' Spots that I take to my workshops. I always have one project that uses the spots.

What I would suggest is either getting your fave. color family in the regular sized pads and the spots in the rest, or get the spots now and get some of your fave. colors in the regular size ink pads.

I only have two craft pads, but I'm sure that collection will grow!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 11:33 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I use the Classic Pads. I don't have the patience to wait for the Craft Pads to dry. And I probably use the Bold Basics the most, so when I started out, I worked on getting the Bold Basic colors in the larger pads (nicer to demo with) and bought the spots in the families I didn't use as much. Over the past year I have filled in with the larger pads as I was able. Even though I use the Bold Basics more often, I'm a Earth Elements kind of girl!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 11:36 AM   #6  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default stamp pads

I use the Classics also. I would recommend purchasing all four complete color families. Pick one set at a time and buy them. You will end up getting them all any how! Trust me, I've been there!

I love using Bold Brights in the summer time. Earth Elements in the Fall.

QCBetty, it is great to see your smiling face! Yippy! Lana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 11:52 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

I have all of the color families of spots and about 1/2 of the larger classic pads. If you demo the spots they are an easy sell to someone just starting out. I usually demo with at least 1 spot and bring the box of them with me to show since they do not have a picture in the catalog. Also, I prefer the classic ink. My favorite color family seems to be the soft subtles, but I use all of them together. I would start with bold brights first and then go on to whichever color family you prefer. I use Rich Regals more in the winter months because they are darker.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 11:57 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

I love the classic pads. I don't have the spots yet, although I might eventually have to get them... :-)

While I have equal numbers of bold brights and earth elements, rich regals is my favorite color family. (maybe that has to do with the fact that all 3 of my wedding colors are in the rich regal family... :-)

I decided against buying all the color families. I wanted to be able to get card stock and stamps as well with my limited budget. So I have been just getting 1 or 2 classic pads with every order I put in... I signed up during spring and was going to be demoing summer cards right away. It didn't make sense to buy many spring or winter colors. Now, as I start thinking about Christmas projects, you can bet I'll start getting more rich regals. then, about Christmas I'll start thinking more about the soft subtles... That's how I figured it, anyway! :-)

Stampin' Up! demonstrator with a website!

What Can Lightbulb Do For You?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 12:03 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

You ladies are TERRIFIC!! Thanks to all of you for your quick responses and helpful suggestions! I just LOVE this place!!

Feel free to keep posting your suggestions in what works best for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 12:05 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Classics are my favorite, but I am slowly building up my Craft pads. I like to use the Craft pads for non-card projects like stamping on wood frames, cork, paper mache boxes, hmmm can't think of anything else I've stamped with them.

My favorite color group is the Rich Regals followed by the Earth Elements, but I use some out of all the color groups and find myself continuing to grow into using more of the colors.

I have had several customers purchase the stampin' spots so they can get lots of color immediately. So far, they have all been happy with their purchases.

As for the embossing pad with the classic pads to emboss, you can. My recommendation to all my customers is to NOT purchase the embossing pad but to get the VersaMark pad. It will do what the embossing pad will do plus so much more! I personally feel it is more economical, just MHO.

Melissa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 12:06 PM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks Lana......took me a bit to find a picture that wouldn't crack all your screens!! Didn't want to go back too far.......(although the temptation was there to go back waaaay many years when I was skinny!!)

I hope that others will take my lead....let's get everyone's faces in here!

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 12:40 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

I started out with the Classic pads. I try to buy one or two each time I put in an order. Same goes with cardstock. My new goal is to buy one Classic dye and one Craft pad each purchase. I only have 4 craft pads but I like them. They are better for scrapping too.

Versamark pad is definitely the way to go. Especially since you are just starting out and are probably on a tight budget like most of us. lol Go for the most bang for your buck!
Member #3785
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 12:48 PM   #13  
SOS
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Classic

I have all the Classic and one little spot I won somewhere. I was recently told by my new upline (I've been adopted since my original dropped out) that she uses the Craft in the Soft Subtles when scrapbooking due to fading. She uses the Classis the rest of the time. I have most of the Bold Brights in Craft and would like to go ahead and get them all for scrapbooking. But for cards and crafts I almost always use the Classic ones and love them!!!!

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/SOS
Making Memories One Stamp At A Time
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 12:57 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

I have 36 of the Classic pads (no spots) and only ONE Craft pad and that's the white one. It's SO goopy that I can hardly use it! I have Colorbox pigment pads that aren't so goopy! Anyway, I started storing the white one upside down (which is really rightside up! <g>) and I'll see if that helps.

I plan to keep ordering the rest of the Classic pads a couple each time I order. I don't know anything about the SU Spots, but I have the Colorbox Fluid Chalk cats eyes and I LOVE them! It's easy to ink up a flower stamp, for example, with several different colors.

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 01:29 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

it is so funny how all of our tastes differ soooo much.. and stampinup can cater to us all. i use soft subtles ALL the time.. and bold brights nearly all the time..
then old olive and brocade blue almost exclusively from the other two families.
sure some new colors would be nice.. but we all seem to have found our niche in 48 exclusive colors. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 01:36 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I am surprised at how many people use classics more than craft pads. Now I have to rethink my buying strategy. :? I plan to make cards and scrapbook. Do you think if I have enough patience I shoudl just get the craft pads or do you all love the classics which means I will need to save for both. Addictive decisions.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 01:43 PM   #17  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I have all but about 6 of the Bold Brights pads. I love bold brights but do have all 48 colors in the old style for the kids to stamp with now. I found that the bigger pads were much nicer than the old ones so the kids (my 4-H kids stamp too) get the old little ones I have one set of spots (Earth Elements) but honestly haven't used them, only have them cause someone sold them on ebay for $10 and nobody else bid on them, so they are in my drawer.. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 03:52 PM   #18  
Inking Addict

I was a loan paying student when i started out SOO money was a huge issue. Ok well I still am a loan paying student and money STILL is an issue ;) But anyways, I wanted to be able to use a lot of colors and not be stuck with just one or two that I could afford in the large classic pads. I purchased each set of spots at different times as I could afford. I now have all the spots and I love them. You just turn the stamp upside down and stamp onto the stamp with the ink pad so you can see where you've been, works just as well. The only thing they don't work real great for is when you've gotta stamp the just jeans background... huge pain and you can see the square marks from the spot. So anyways, I now have all the colors and Id idn't have to spend a huge fortune to get them. I'm now purchasing a craft pad or two at a time in the colors that I use the most. Since I have all the classic pads if I don't have a craft one I want its not like I won't have a color available to me when I want one. I scrapbook and make cards so having the most colors and being cheap was the best. Oh and I started off with Rich Regals, then Earth Elements, then Bold Brights and then Soft subltles. Rich regals is my favorite but I think I use them all pretty equally now! What can I say I love color ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 05:05 PM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

I have all 48 of the old style SU classic pads and only about 20 of the newer style SU classic pads. I think I really prefer the old style classic pads. When you ink up a large background stamp (taking ink pad to stamp), it is easier to get a good even coating of ink on the stamp with the old pads (with lid removed). With the new style classic pads, I have to keep inking from the 4 corners of the pad to evenly coat the stamp (as pressing firmly from the middle of the stamp pad only gives a light uneven application of ink). I have been thinking about this for a couple of months now trying to figure out why the old style classic pad is better and this is what I think --
with the old style pad you are actually pressing the bottom of the ink pad onto the stamp to ink it up -- with the new style pad you are also pushing the bottom of the ink pad , however the actual ink pad is on the inverted top creating two plastic layers and so you have no control as you push the bottom of the pad to distribute ink on the stamp -- the only place where you have a little control is in the 4 corner areas and I do not feel that this is adequate. Has anyone else notice the what I would call the "dead zone" in the center of the newer style ink pads?
Sorry, I am not sure if this is making sense to anyone.
I would like to have a more innovative stamp pad design.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 05:42 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have all four family sets in the new style and now four craft pads...I look forward to buying all of the Craft pads as well because I really like them but for me it would take too long to get anything done if I had to wait for the ink to dry everytime I wanted to stamp...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 07:43 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use the classic pads the most - had to collect all 48 colors :oops:
I use bold brights and earth elements the most often - although all get use
I own the bb and ee craft pads - I use them for embossing sometimes and for stamping on wood and clothing.
I do not own the spots - but will be investing in them soon for my demos.
MTCW
Tina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 02:15 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Default this probably doesn't help but...

I have both... I collected slowly and am so glad to have the option of either. I love both!
Christy Whetten
su demo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 02:20 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

I am slowly building up the classics collection. What are the best uses for the Craft pads - scrapbooking? Can the Classics not be used in scrapbooking? Also - can the craft pads be used on fabrics or is best to use staz on or something else?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 04:32 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Skype™ to neighbor_nancy
Default Need them all!

I have everything. :oops:

I love the classic for general use on cards AND scrapbooking (although I'm told the classic soft subtles might fade sooner so I tend to use the craft exclusively in that color family).

I heat emboss a LOT. I love the look and the texture. So do the customers who buy my cards. I usually use Versamark for black, white, silver or gold embossing, but I really like to use my brayer for the craft pads. Goopy some have said of the white? No problemo with a brayer! Even application every time! If I'm using craft I can coordinate colors with my paper, chalk, markers, etc. when I heat emboss. We no longer carry many different colors of embossing powder, so the craft ink is the way to go there!

So, buy what you can when you can afford it. I had to build my collection a little at a time, but I love having them all!

All my best,

Neighbor_Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 06:16 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Julie,
The stazon are not intended for fabric use. I have read that the craft are great for fabric and so I am now trying to build my collection. My birthday is on August first and so I hope to be able to get some for my b-day!!!! Fingers Crossed, I have four so far and haven't tried fabric but plan to soon. There are a few things that some have done in the galleries that are great examples...you should check them out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 07:36 PM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

I have quite a few of the classic pads and they are great for making cards-I really like the way that they dry quickly. However, I now have the soft subtles and the earth elements craft pads and I really like them in my scrapbooking. I thought that it was going to take them forever to dry, but I have found that it really doesn't take them all that long. And for some reason I really like the look of the craft pad with the shape stamps.

Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2004, 09:21 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default I definately prefer the classic pads for cardstock...

but I've been dabbling with some tile creations lately and just recently got turned onto Stazon stamp pads and they are PURRFECT for this application.

I think the color family you like will depend strictly on your personal taste. Initially, I was an Autumn as far as all the colors I like, but since my kit arrived from SU last month, I've been playing WAY too much with Bold Brights and LOVE the bright colors. I've learned to come out of my drab Autumn box and use some kewl colors. My family is SHOCKED, but delighted that I have finally found out how KEWL color looks in my creations. LOL
:lol: :lol:

I have an old set of Earth Elements Classic Pads and just recently purchased the rest of Bold Brights and Soft Subtles. I've used the Bold Brights a ton, but I'm thinking of getting rid of my Soft Subtles classic pads cuz I really am not into pastel looking colors. Who knows...maybe I'll surprise myself and come outside my box as well.

Enjoy picking out your favorite colors. Just play around with the cardstock assortments until you find some you really are jazzed about and then GO FOR IT! Take the plunge and buy the pads to match.

Happy stamping!
Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2004, 04:21 AM   #28  
Glitter Guru

I love love love my stamping spots - I have the Bold Brights and the Earth Elements set...

I scrapbook alot and I use letter stamps and a lot of smaller stamps in my scrapbooks so the spots are perfect - even my larger stamps I just rub the square on the stamp and viola...I haven't had any problems - then again I don't have really big stamps either....

The only big pad I have is a Basic Black pad...

I also have a black staz-on pad and a versamark pad.

I really am a Bold Brights gal but I do love some of the other colors in the Soft Subtles (mellow moss - ummmmm) so I plan on just getting a full size pad in the few colors I do like.

I have only tried the craft pads at my demos house and they are OK but I don't do stamping on fabric so I have no real need to use them so I haven't bought any. I thought I might need them for stamping on wood but I just stamped on wood using an "open" stamp with black staz-on and filling in with classic ink using a blender pen. Works great for me...

If you are just starting out with stamping I would suggest a basic black full sized stamp pad - a set of spots - blender pens - that way if you have a larger stamp you can always stamp it in black and fill it in with color.

You can always add more later....the price difference for buying all the pads at the same time vs buying them indivually is less than $5 ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2004, 07:26 AM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

The stazon are not intended for fabric use. I have read that the craft are great for fabric and so I am now trying to build my collection.

Thanks for letting me know! I learn so much on this site! I will check out the samples - and looks like I need to had a few craft pads to my list for my next order! Good luck getting some more for your birthday!! :lol:
Julie Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2004, 08:20 AM   #30  
Crimping Master

Hello! I am also a collector of stamp pads....I started with the regular size earth elements classic family at once ...(I was in total awe at my first party and we did an awesome card with fall whimsy) I next moved on to buying rich regals in the spots (cause it was Xmas time) then subtle in spots (spring time) and now to bold brights for summer... I just signed as a demo in March so I have a now added on with ordering the Rich Regals in regular size...Last night I ordered my soft subtles regular size family set and only have my bold brights regular size classic family to go in JUly!

I can't tell you how much I LOVE MY SPOTS!!!!! THey may be small but they go far and it is an awesome way for a new stamper who wants it all but has a tight budget....

As for other pads like craft pads, I have about a total of 15 of them in the different families but all but 1 are in the pkg... I had a miserable first experience with it and have never gone back...

I total would recommend the versamark pad!!! this is a must for everyone! Not only can you use it for an awesome watermark look for backgrounds but you can also use it with the pastels and for embossing!!!

Good Luck!!!! Ya have to let us all know when you get all of them!!! SO we can celebrate!!!

Ya my husband keeps looking at my corner and asking if it is growing and I just say "no dear" and of course he says if it's not growing why is my living room shrinking???? and why do you need a new "BIGGER" storage unit!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes