View Single Post
Old 09-04-2009, 05:50 AM   #22
Gina K. Designs
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by belindaking View Post
I will respectfully disagree-- SU is not dictating behavior, they are asking for exclusivity. They are not saying that every demo must hold xx number of workshops, and the workshops should be run following yy template.

The contract says that the demo agrees not to "promote, market, or sell" competitive product. It doesn't even tell us (anymore) not to use competitive product (it used to ask us not to use any competetive product in any meeting with current or potential demos or customers). It just asks us not to "promote, market, or sell" it. I've looked at quite a few business owner blogs, and not one business actually links to a competitive store. That's all SU is asking of their demos in the agreement-- not to link (in ANY online media, sure) to a competitive store.

Incidental and occasional mention is ok, as long as it's not reasonably made to drive business to a the competition.

Yesterday's message to demos contained the best statement I've seen as to the entire intent of the changes:

Some demos have argued that they are not in it for the business-- that all they are in SU for is the discount. But SU provides the same training and basic benefits to all demos. Those that purchase only for themselves and those that are big business demos all receive the same online training, the same monthly magazine, and are offered the same opportunities to attend most of SU's training events (convention, regionals, half-day regionals, teleconferences, etc.). Yes, demos who invest more time and effort into their business receive a few added benefits (SAM, Leadership training), but the content remains the same. (I figured this out after a couple Leadership trainings-- the training was the same as many articles in the magazine, just the presentation was different. )

All SU is asking is for promotional exclusivity from their demonstrators. I personally don't think it's too much to ask for, and I've signed the IDA accordingly.
Hi Belinda,
I don't know if you were directing your post at me but let me just say for the record that I have no opinion either way about what Stampin' Up choses to do with their business, contracts or employees. I was only stating some information from the IRS website as it pertains to independent contractors vs. employees.

When I was a Stampin' Up Demonstrator many moons ago, I signed a contract with them that did not have any verbiage regarding what I was allowed to do with any of my personal time on or off the web.

So, I only posted this information for those who have the new IDA. Since I have not seen it, I can't state my opinion. I can only say that if what is being talked about here is true, then it is a gray area as far as crossing the independent contractor line.

As a stamp company owner, I have designed a stamp set that works with the Stampin' Up Word Window Punch and Circle Punch. I actually have listed on my store website that SU punches work with this stamp set:

http://www.shop.ginakdesigns.com/pro...&categoryId=37

I also noticed that other stamp companies have mentioned Stampin' Up when they have released stamp sets that work with SU products because we all know that people love Stampin' Up and love products that work with things they already have in their collection.

I just don't want anyone to think that I stand in judgement of Stampin' Up. I certainly do not. I personally love the company's products and have lots of it in my own collection. I think that Shelli Gardner is a pioneer in the industry and a brilliant business woman. SU has introduced stamping to hundreds of thousands of people worldwide.

The thing that saddens me about all of this is how many talented and creative stampers like Beate, Cindy and so many more are struggling with decisions on which way to go. It would be nice if they could continue to do both because they certainly inspire so many to purchase SU items through their tutorials, videos, project samples and gallery uploads.

At the same time, if I use Stampin' Up product for my project, I give the company credit in the gallery. As a business owner, I would expect the same courtesy in return.

I wish you all well with your decisions.

Hugs,
Gina K.

Be polite to those who are rude to you. Not because they are nice, but because you are.

Last edited by Gina K. Designs; 09-04-2009 at 05:52 AM.. Reason: Spelled Shelli's name wrong
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!