View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #744
JanTInk
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Nickel View Post
Evalou, With ALL DUE RESPECT, Maybe SUP is offering YOU enough for your style of creativity and crafting. I, however, have never considered myself a crafter. I am an artist with various awards ranging to national ones in fields other than paper. 'Crafting' is different from 'artistry'.
As someone who also is an "artist", however you want to define that, having taken a degree in art and having worked in many different media, I can tell you that sometimes the most creative moments I have are when I only have a limited amount of supplies and tools available to work with. I've been stamping since 1996 and scrapbooking since 1998. Some of my most creative layouts were done in 1999, when there was hardly ANYTHING available to work with. I had to paper piece and find interesting ways of making the limited supplies I had work for me. THAT is creativity. That is art.

Maybe SU! is the wrong place for you, because as a demonstrator, I try to encourage the artist in all my customers. I don't feel I am better than they are just because I have a couple of letters after my name. Maybe that's not what you are trying to say, but it sure comes across that way. We all start out from the same place and hard work and determination can turn many a "crafter" into an "artist". Do a little search on this forum for the post "On Being Dirty Worthy"...that says all of what I really mean to say about that.

One of the things I used to give customers when I was first holding workshops was an "Artistic License". It said, "This is to certify that _______________ has received this Artistic License from Janine Tinklenberg, Stampin' Up! Demonstrator. She is now free to make all the mistakes she wants and call them 'art'. She can also claim to be an artist, through the wonderful medium of rubber stamping." People were so empowered by that. I heard so many women say, "I could never do this. I'm just no good at crafts or art." How horrible to feel that way, when this hobby can be so rewarding and enjoyable. They were so thrilled to find out that YES they could make something that was worthy of sending to a friend or loved one. That something that they did could bring a smile to someone's face.

That, folks, is what the Statement of the Heart is all about. Not sharing your personal "artistry" with the world and getting the acolades that are "your due" in the form of comments on your blog or "awards". It's about helping other people achieve something that will make themselves and other people happy. It's about making a difference in other people's lives. And that is why *I* am still a demonstrator and will remain one. Yes, I love the accolades and awards as much as anyone else does. But when it comes down to it, helping other people have fun with stamps IS what being a demonstrator is about for me.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Last edited by JanTInk; 09-03-2009 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: typos
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!