Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-12-2009, 04:56 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question EK Success "Fleur de Lis" Border Punch

Can someone who owns an EK Success "Fleur de Lis" border punch please tell me if they have to apply a lot of pressure in order to get it to cut through card stock. I have the EK Success "Beach" punch and find it much easier to use.

I have to press down as hard as I can with both hands on the Fleur di Lis punch. Sharpening it by punching aluminum foil and a tin pie plate (instead of a pop can) has made the cut cleaner but not easier to punch.

I'm wondering if the Fleur di Lis punch is harder to use than the Beach punch because it's a fancier, more detailed, design or if there is something wrong with the punch.

Any input will be appreciated.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2009, 05:16 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I have to "step on it" when I use PTI card stock. It'll be fine with thinner ones. lol! I have the beach one but haven't used it yet. May I ask what cs did you use?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2009, 05:33 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi lilian. I was mostly using Stampin Up card stock when testing the punch. I tried 8.5 x 11 and 12 x 12... the 12 x 12 is a bit thinner. It was difficult to punch both. I had some scraps of thin card stock that Micheal's sells in packages, and it was easier to punch, but still not as easy as it would have been with other punches.

Seeing as how you have a difficult time with PTI card stock, which I know is quite thick, I guess it must be the fancy Fleur di Lis design that is the problem, and not a problem with the punches themselves.

Thanks for you input!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2009, 08:42 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi,

Tried out my Fleur de Lis punch and it took a lot of pressure to go through some cardstock. Punched some wax paper - it helped only a little bit - but it still takes firm pressure on the desk - can't punch it with only my hands. You could be right in that it's the intricate pattern.

Still, it's a pretty punch

Maria
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2009, 09:37 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

I can use mine by using both hands as I hold it up in the air. It takes a little bit of pressure, but nothing like the Martha Stewart punch that I literally had to stand on every time I wanted to use it. (I use mostly GP cardstock.)

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2009, 09:38 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for your input as well, Maria!

Seeing that the three of us have the same issue with the same punch, at least my worries about mine being defective has been laid to rest, and I won't have to go to the trouble of returning it. As you said, it's a pretty punch, so I'll keep it... it will give my arms a good workout! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2009, 09:40 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks Sophia_77... someone needs to invent punches that are easier to use!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2009, 01:54 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Exclamation

Hi Dawn!

I just got mine yesterday and so far, it's not working on card stock.:confused: I'll let you know if I get it to work. Right now, I even have trouble with regular printing paper. Once I punch a section, it is so hard to remove the paper that it usually rips. It's that piece under the border ( the one that should come off) that is causing the problem. It gets stuck.:twisted:

I'm disappointed so far. EKSuccess is usuall so good.:confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Island ChickView Post
Can someone who owns an EK Success "Fleur de Lis" border punch please tell me if they have to apply a lot of pressure in order to get it to cut through card stock. I have the EK Success "Beach" punch and find it much easier to use.

I have to press down as hard as I can with both hands on the Fleur di Lis punch. Sharpening it by punching aluminum foil and a tin pie plate (instead of a pop can) has made the cut cleaner but not easier to punch.

I'm wondering if the Fleur di Lis punch is harder to use than the Beach punch because it's a fancier, more detailed, design or if there is something wrong with the punch.

Any input will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2009, 05:46 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh man - I wish I had seen this thread before I ordered mine. It's on its way to me now. I think the problem with some punches is that in some designs the pattern is so small and intricate that to punch a small design in thick cardstock is tricky. I have several punches with similar intricate designs that I reserve for thin patterned paper and vellum. *sigh*...it a perfect world, all punches would work on everything...including chipboard and metal....lol

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2009, 10:26 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitty14View Post
Hi Dawn!

I just got mine yesterday and so far, it's not working on card stock. I'll let you know if I get it to work. Right now, I even have trouble with regular printing paper. Once I punch a section, it is so hard to remove the paper that it usually rips. It's that piece under the border ( the one that should come off) that is causing the problem. It gets stuck.

I'm disappointed so far. EKSuccess is usuall so good.:confused:
Hi Susan!

I tried my punch on copy paper yesterday and the same thing happened - the paper was caught up in the punch and tore.

I know some people have had problems with their Martha Stewart punches, but I was hoping the EK Success border punches would be better - even though EK Success makes the Martha Stewart punches, if I'm not mistaken.

I don't regret buying the Fleur di Lis punch, it does punch out the design with a lot of effort, but in the future I will stop and think twice before buying border punches with intricate designs - whether or not I want the punch badly enough to put up with it's difficulty and limitations.

I'm glad you posted a message - thanks for sharing your experience! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2009, 10:41 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn in St. LouisView Post
Oh man - I wish I had seen this thread before I ordered mine. It's on its way to me now. I think the problem with some punches is that in some designs the pattern is so small and intricate that to punch a small design in thick cardstock is tricky. I have several punches with similar intricate designs that I reserve for thin patterned paper and vellum. *sigh*...it a perfect world, all punches would work on everything...including chipboard and metal....lol
Hi Lynn -

After reading your post, I got out my punch a few minutes ago and tested it on vellum and patterned paper. It punched easily enough with patterned paper, but did not punch well at all with vellum - it got stuck in the punch and tore. When I tried it a second time, the punch got stuck and wouldn't open with the vellum in it, I had to push on the lead part to get it to open... LOL! I don't know why I'm laughing about it - that's not a good thing!

It appears the punch works best on paper or card stock that is around the weight/thickness of patterned paper. Stampin Up's 12x12 card stock was too thick for my punch, but it worked better with the thinner Micheal's card stock. Maybe it will work okay with Bazzill card stock - I think the thickness of it is more like Micheal's card stock than Stampin Up ???

I have a Martha Stewart "Drippy Goo" punch on the way - I hope it will be easier to use! :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2009, 10:16 AM   #12  

Well - to report back...I received my punches (Fleur de Lis and another one) while I was at home for lunch. I quickly removed them from the packaging and noticed right away how very "sticky" they were. Naturally, they had problems punching typing paper, but I keep a small tube of graphite powder around the house for sticky punches - applied some to both, and from there had no problems punching paper or my Gina K Pure Luxury 80# cardstock. I haven't had a chance to experiment with thicker cardstock, but if you haven't tried Graphite powder on your punches you should. I find it so much better than wax paper.

You can find Graphite powder in the auto supply section of Wal-Mark and K-Mart, or just about any automotive store/section. It's used to loosen up stiff car and pad locks. WORKS FANTASTIC!

One more thing...nothing will seize up a punch quicker than little bits of paper that drop down into it, so after you make a punch, be sure to give if a few "air" squeezes and a quick shake to insure all the little bits fall out.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2009, 10:36 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info about the grafite powder! I didn't know about that one. I'll try it.
I had tried the Fleur de lis punch on Bazzill card stock and don't remember the weight. But, if it worked for you on that GinaK. 80lb. then I would think it should work on the Bazzill, too.
Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

works perfectly fine out of the box on SU cardstock, a tiny bit stiff, but that is expected from any punch with that much detail. Could not get it throught the Gina K 120lb heavy weight white cs, don't know about PTI, but probably would be difficult.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2009, 11:16 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Hiya girls sorry to sound dumb i've just looked up graphite powder and come up with llsorts, is it a powder?, dry powder, spray? Thanks in advance but i've a few sticky punches i'd love to try it on.
Hugs
Tizzy xxx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2009, 11:19 AM   #16  

The stuff I have is a dry powder in a little tube with a tiny hole in the end...when you squeeze it the powder squirts out. It's not a spray because it's dry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TizzyView Post
Hiya girls sorry to sound dumb i've just looked up graphite powder and come up with llsorts, is it a powder?, dry powder, spray? Thanks in advance but i've a few sticky punches i'd love to try it on.
Hugs
Tizzy xxx

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2009, 11:26 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

excellent thank you hun, i've found loads of them but didn't want to buy without checking,
Hugs
Tizzy xxx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2009, 08:41 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I had to return my first Fleur de Lis punch, it was getting stuck/jammed on reg copy paper. My second one punches but you have to really play with it. Want to get some of that graphite and give it a try! I do have the EK Success scallop punch and it works beautifully!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2009, 08:51 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

I never thought of using graphite powder! Thank you so much for the info. This will come in very handy. I have some I need to use it on.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2009, 10:59 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile Learn something new every day

Graphite huh? Decided to Google graphite to see where I could find it. One of the first searches that came up was a YouTube video on home-made graphite - yup there's a video on it (I think the guy picks locks - didn't watch his other videos to make sure :confused

OK - I had to try it - the homemade graphite not the lock picking - and I was surprised. It did make the Fleur de Lis punch a little easier to use - didn't need to use the desk surface as resistance unless I used thick cardstock, it was fine with copy paper and designer paper.

Now if someone has a tip on getting the punch to cut through the paper cleanly, that would be nice - already tried aluminum foil. The part that is supposed to come off at the bottom is still getting stuck in the punch (someone also mentioned that in an earlier post).

Oh - this is NOT a recommendation to try homemade graphite - it kinda worked - but kinda made a huge mess too! :rolleyes:

The things you learn :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2009, 12:46 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Well - to report back...I received my punches (Fleur de Lis and another one) while I was at home for lunch. I quickly removed them from the packaging and noticed right away how very "sticky" they were. Naturally, they had problems punching typing paper, but I keep a small tube of graphite powder around the house for sticky punches - applied some to both, and from there had no problems punching paper or my Gina K Pure Luxury 80# cardstock. I haven't had a chance to experiment with thicker cardstock, but if you haven't tried Graphite powder on your punches you should. I find it so much better than wax paper.

You can find Graphite powder in the auto supply section of Wal-Mark and K-Mart, or just about any automotive store/section. It's used to loosen up stiff car and pad locks. WORKS FANTASTIC!

One more thing...nothing will seize up a punch quicker than little bits of paper that drop down into it, so after you make a punch, be sure to give if a few "air" squeezes and a quick shake to insure all the little bits fall out.
Thanks for reporting back, Lynn... and for the graphite powder tip! This thread turned out to be more informative and helpful than I thought it would be!

I'll see if I can find some graphite powder and give it a try. Here's a dumb question... I assume you squirt the powder all over the lead part of the punch, in all the nooks and crannies, how much do you have to use - just a little? Then do you just press down on the punch a few times and blow off the remaining powder?

I have a Michael's 40% off coupon burning a hole in my wallet - will probably buy another punch tomorrow and can't decide between the EK Success and Martha Stewart designs. Decisions, decisions... :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2009, 01:01 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColtsGoalieMomView Post
... a YouTube video on home-made graphite - yup there's a video on it (I think the guy picks locks - didn't watch his other videos to make sure :confused OK - I had to try it - the homemade graphite not the lock picking.
Your post cracked me up... LOL! :mrgreen: You've peeked my curiosity - I'll have to check out the YouTube video.

My hat's off to you for giving the homemade graphite powder a try! As for getting the punch to cut cleaner, did you cut through a single layer of aluminum foil or a few layers? As I mentioned in a previous post, my punch made cleaner cuts after I used aluminum foil, which was 3 or 4 layers thick, and a tin pie plate. Some SCS members highly recommend using pop cans, but there's no way I'm going to go to the trouble and risk of cutting the ends off of pop cans and flattening the tin, so I used a pie tin instead... it's easy to cut with scissors. Other than that, I don't know what to suggest. I remember reading that people have had some success with putting their punches in the freezer, but I can't remember the reason for doing it... to make them cut cleaner or just easier to punch with???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Thanks for reporting back, Lynn... and for the graphite powder tip! This thread turned out to be more informative and helpful than I thought it would be!

I'll see if I can find some graphite powder and give it a try. Here's a dumb question... I assume you squirt the powder all over the lead part of the punch, in all the nooks and crannies, how much do you have to use - just a little? Then do you just press down on the punch a few times and blow off the remaining powder?

I have a Michael's 40% off coupon burning a hole in my wallet - will probably buy another punch tomorrow and can't decide between the EK Success and Martha Stewart designs. Decisions, decisions... :rolleyes:
Martha stewart had some great holiday punches, that have co-ordinating corning punches, they call them punch around, but you need the corner punch to go all the way around, but the edge punches are great by themselves if you don't want to go all around. The only thing with the MS punches is that you have to hold the top part fown with one hand and the lever with the other, but it is Micheals, so if it breaks or doesn't work right, just bring it back, no box, no receipt and they will exchange it for a new one (they did for me yesterday), plus I got the new snowflake edge punch, have my eye on the "thanks" edge punch next.....I love punches
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #24  

Right, just squirt it all around the nooks and crannies in the punching part. The nozzle on my bottle is so small that I can never tell how much is going in, but I just give it a few good squirts all around and then punch it a few times. You will want to use some junk paper to punch on at first so that if there is any extra graphite powder around it won't get on your "good stuff".

Quote:

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2009, 02:05 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbenjaminView Post
Martha stewart had some great holiday punches, that have co-ordinating corning punches, they call them punch around, but you need the corner punch to go all the way around, but the edge punches are great by themselves if you don't want to go all around. The only thing with the MS punches is that you have to hold the top part fown with one hand and the lever with the other, but it is Micheals, so if it breaks or doesn't work right, just bring it back, no box, no receipt and they will exchange it for a new one (they did for me yesterday), plus I got the new snowflake edge punch, have my eye on the "thanks" edge punch next.....I love punches
Thanks for the info! It didn't help me narrow down the selection though - now you've got me wanting even more punches than before! LOL! ;)

The new coordinating punches you mentioned are neat!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Right, just squirt it all around the nooks and crannies in the punching part. The nozzle on my bottle is so small that I can never tell how much is going in, but I just give it a few good squirts all around and then punch it a few times. You will want to use some junk paper to punch on at first so that if there is any extra graphite powder around it won't get on your "good stuff".
Thanks, Lynn!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2009, 05:31 AM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up Luv you Girls!

Would you believe I just bought the :twisted:culprit punch yesterday and am just reading this thread now. OMG! I want to thank all of u who contributed. I was just about to return the punch today. My hand is even hurting! But, now, I will try to get that graphite thingy in Home Depot. They have to have it there. However, girls, we are big consumers of EK Success, even if we also buy them thru SU. If they can make them for SU sturdy and easier to punch thru SU cardstock, then how about some quality control all the way around. You girls are great! Sharing with each other is so important. I should have checked SCS before I made the purchase!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 11:10 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Your post cracked me up... LOL! :mrgreen: You've peeked my curiosity - I'll have to check out the YouTube video.

My hat's off to you for giving the homemade graphite powder a try! As for getting the punch to cut cleaner, did you cut through a single layer of aluminum foil or a few layers? As I mentioned in a previous post, my punch made cleaner cuts after I used aluminum foil, which was 3 or 4 layers thick, and a tin pie plate. Some SCS members highly recommend using pop cans, but there's no way I'm going to go to the trouble and risk of cutting the ends off of pop cans and flattening the tin, so I used a pie tin instead... it's easy to cut with scissors.
Thanks for the tip Island Chick - tried the 3 or 4 layers of aluminum foil - didn't really make much difference.

So yesterday picked up some tin pie plates - and it is working a lot better - the paper only gets stuck every third punch or so - but it's an improvement! :rolleyes:

Also picked up some graphite powder yesterday - that was fun. The guy at Home Depot had no idea what it was or what it was used for, so I felt smart informing him about it - thanks Lynn in St. Louis ;) - turned out they didn't have any - found it at another hardware store.

As an aside, I have several other EK Success slim punches and have no problems with any of them - even the Parisienne which I think is a more intricate punch than the Fleur de Lis.

Thanks again ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

I gave up. I returned it and got the Martha's Dolly Lace one instead. Cut very nice. I love its pattern / design.

I have better luck on Martha's border punch than the new EK slim ones. But I'll never attempt to buy anothr martha's punch with the embossing effect. It's just wrong and terrible!

Vanny
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2009, 08:54 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Thought I'd post an update on my situation for anyone who's interested.

I ended up returning the punch. I tried graphite powder but there was no noticeable improvement, so I put the punch in the freezer for awhile, a tip I read here in the forum, and that didn't help either. When I tried testing the punch again, on Stampin Up card stock, it was actually worse than before - it wouldn't cut at all. I don't think the graphite and freezer was to blame - I suspect it was just that the punch became very dull with each cut and wasn't holding up well to the amount of pressure I had to put on it to make it cut.

Today I purchased another Fleur di Lis punch and tested it on different thicknesses of paper and card stock. This punch is a little sharper but overall there hasn't been that much of an improvement in it's performance. The more times I punch paper, the less cleanly it cuts and the more it gets caught in the punch when I try to pull the paper out of it, or slide the punch over to make another cut. When I tried punching Stampin Up card stock a couple times, I could tell that if I continued to punch card stock of that thickness the punch would pack it in, like the first one had. The only thing the punch worked well on was the thicker type of scrapbook paper and lighter weight card stock, like the packaged kind Michael's sells.

To sum it up, my punch thinks it's Goldilocks from Goldilocks And The Three Bears. It doesn't like anything that is too thin... or too thick... it has to be in the medium range... it has to be just right. :rolleyes: Despite my punch's identity crisis, I think I'll be keeping it, but will NEVER use it on thick card stock, and will be praying that I'll be able to get a decent amount of use out of it, because it seems like the Fleur di Lis punches dull quickly???

ColtsGoalieMom- I'm happy the tin pie plate helped a little and hope you had even more success with the graphite powder! Later on down the road, I might give beeswax a try. I noticed an online store sells it for lubricating punches... claims it doesn't leave any residue behind on cards.

vannyk- I have the MS doily punch also... it's so pretty! Thanks for the warning about the embossing punches... think I'll steer clear of those!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2009, 12:36 AM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

Wink

Hi Dawn!

Sorry that the second one turned out to be a basic "loser," too.

Mine is DEFINITELY not going to EVER work properly on ANY type of paper. Even on printer paper, it gets caught and I can not get the paper out without ripping the whole piece.:twisted: It is a beautiful design but I am really sorry I bought it. All the "paper work" is gone , so I guess I am just "stuck," ( very much like the paper in the punch! LOL!).

I will probably just throw mine out. My husband looked at it.:rolleyes: (LOTS of "engineer talk," long and technical!) but the bottom line is that mine is just not made right, parts too close together or something.
It really makes me hesitate about buying any more EKSuccess punches, though.

MS lace doily punch is a beautiful one! I have it and mine works great on all paper.
I must say that her EMBOSSING punches leave a LOT to be desired, for me, at least. The embossed part is barely noticable. I have the snowflake border one and the single OWl punch. Cute but like I said, the embossed sections are a real disappointment. I don't think I will bother with her embossing punches anymore, either.

A crafter's life is a hard one, isn't it? LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2009, 09:50 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ladies...I am wondering if the Nesties borderbilities of the same design would be better as they will punch though all the cardstocks...? Just an idea.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2009, 10:11 PM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

To sum it up, my punch thinks it's Goldilocks from Goldilocks And The Three Bears. It doesn't like anything that is too thin... or too thick... it has to be in the medium range... it has to be just right. :rolleyes:
Island Chick - You're too funny

I decided that I was not going to buy any more EK Success punches - have more luck with Marvy Uchida and Martha Stewart. Then my LSS got the new EK Success larger punches, new border punches and new mini punches.

Needless to say my resolve went right out the store door and I whipped out my wallet and a 40% off coupon - added the Leaves Border, Large Maple Leaf, Mini Maple Leaf (I am Canadian after all, eh!) and Mini Acorn punches to my collection. The Leaves Border punch works beautifully - why can't all their punches work like that?

Oh, and because I like to try things (homemade graphite power;)), figured I couldn't ruin the Fleur de Lis punch so I cut up a pop can and used the punch on it. I was surprised at how easy and cleanly it punched through the pop can (and surprised that I didn't cut myself) - it actually punched the can better than it punches paper. Now I have beautiful Fleur de Lis strips in metal that I'm saving to use on a project.

sprtchick - you're such an enabler! :-D

Maria
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 07:54 AM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

Wow! This is all so interesting! I knew I should be able to find info about this punch in here! Like many of you I was wondering if my punch was at fault and I should just ex-change it and try again. I see how that wouldn't have made any difference! Last week I got two EK Success punches at Michael's and one MS punch. Words can NOT describe how disappointed I was with both EK Success punches and their inability to cut through SU CS. Michael's thin card stock was OK but that was it! I send the company my feedback and telling them about my experience and disappointment, so I think it would be nice if all of you could do the same? hopefully they will get the message and make improvement to this lovely punches! I must say though, that the MS punch worked just fine on my SU paper, no problems at all, and I love it! For the Fleur de Liz, I have decided to rather try the Spellbinders Borderablities, since they will cut though any CS no problem! I am waiting for mine in the mail now, so I will take these EK Punches back to the store! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 09:04 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Ladies...I am wondering if the Nesties borderbilities of the same design would be better as they will punch though all the cardstocks...? Just an idea.
blessings.
Thank you for the suggestion. I'm going to keep my eye open for cards in the gallery that have that border.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 09:07 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColtsGoalieMomView Post
Oh, and because I like to try things (homemade graphite power;)), figured I couldn't ruin the Fleur de Lis punch so I cut up a pop can and used the punch on it.Maria

You're such a rebel... LOL! It's strange that the punch can cut through metal nicely but have so many issues cutting through paper and card stock... go figure! It's cool that you have some metal Fleur di Lis strips now... not many people can say they have that!

I'm happy your other EK Success border punch works better. That's the one called Falling Leaves, right? I guess it must be the simpler design, like my Beach punch, that is making the difference. I've seen some cards recently that the Binding Edge punch was used on and now I want one... :rolleyes: ... so I will probably use my current 40% coupon on that. It looks like a fairly simple design.

Does the spending ever stop?!! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 09:10 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by truenorth_of_52View Post
Wow! This is all so interesting! I knew I should be able to find info about this punch in here! Like many of you I was wondering if my punch was at fault and I should just ex-change it and try again. I see how that wouldn't have made any difference! Last week I got two EK Success punches at Michael's and one MS punch. Words can NOT describe how disappointed I was with both EK Success punches and their inability to cut through SU CS. Michael's thin card stock was OK but that was it! I send the company my feedback and telling them about my experience and disappointment, so I think it would be nice if all of you could do the same? hopefully they will get the message and make improvement to this lovely punches! I must say though, that the MS punch worked just fine on my SU paper, no problems at all, and I love it! For the Fleur de Liz, I have decided to rather try the Spellbinders Borderablities, since they will cut though any CS no problem! I am waiting for mine in the mail now, so I will take these EK Punches back to the store! Thank you!

Welcome to the Disgruntled EK Success Border Punch Customers thread... LOL!

It's a shame you've been experiencing the same problem. I think the company should stick to making simple border designs until they can figure out a way for their punches to cut intricate ones better. You can count me in on sending feedback to EK Success... I'll do that this week for sure.

I said to Kitty14 earlier this morning that I wish punches and other crafting tools were made in Germany, since they have a reputation for manufacturing good quality products... maybe then crafters wouldn't encounter so many issues with their tools. With Germany being known for making good kitchen knives, it would be interesting to see how well a German made punch would cut.

Thanks for posting and let us know how you make out with the Borderabilities!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 09:52 AM   #38  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Welcome to the Disgruntled EK Success Border Punch Customers thread... LOL!

It's a shame you've been experiencing the same problem. I think the company should stick to making simple border designs until they can figure out a way for their punches to cut intricate ones better. You can count me in on sending feedback to EK Success... I'll do that this week for sure.

I said to Kitty14 earlier this morning that I wish punches and other crafting tools were made in Germany, since they have a reputation for manufacturing good quality products... maybe then crafters wouldn't encounter so many issues with their tools. With Germany being known for making good kitchen knives, it would be interesting to see how well a German made punch would cut.

Thanks for posting and let us know how you make out with the Borderabilities!

So true about the Germans! ALL of my knives are Henckel's and I would've change them for anything! Do they make any punches at all? I know the Borderabilities will work just fine, I have some of those already and they are great, it is just that the design is different, but they are quite pretty too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #39  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Fleur de "loser"

Quote:

Originally Posted by SavagetwinView Post
Would you believe I just bought the :twisted:culprit punch yesterday and am just reading this thread now. OMG! I want to thank all of u who contributed. I was just about to return the punch today. My hand is even hurting! But, now, I will try to get that graphite thingy in Home Depot. They have to have it there. However, girls, we are big consumers of EK Success, even if we also buy them thru SU. If they can make them for SU sturdy and easier to punch thru SU card stock, then how about some quality control all the way around. You girls are great! Sharing with each other is so important. I should have checked SCS before I made the purchase!
Girls: I tried every remedy in the book but ended up taking the punch back. The manager of the Michael's in Portchester, NY could not have been more helpful. Thank God for Len. I got a new punch that was much better. But, still a problem with SU cardstock. What a shame. I saw some wonderful work done by Faith on this site:
http://stampinwithmarkiesmom.blogspo...bel/Flourishes
Her work is outstanding! TAKE A LOOK.
For now my disappointed sisters....there must be some solution.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 01:56 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by truenorth_of_52View Post
So true about the Germans! ALL of my knives are Henckel's and I would've change them for anything! Do they make any punches at all? I know the Borderabilities will work just fine, I have some of those already and they are great, it is just that the design is different, but they are quite pretty too!
I have some Henckels knives too and a vegetable peeler. Whenever people use the peeler, they always comment on how smoothly and easily it peels. I've been using it for years! I wish I had known they were going to be discontinued... I would have bought a couple more. :(

I don't know of any German made punches, but if I ever discover any I'll let you know!
Reply With Quote Likes