Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-07-2009, 10:42 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU My Digital Studio

Okay, who's ready to jump right in on September 1 and order the new digital scrapbooking software from SU!??

Just curious -- I'm not a demo or affiliated in any other way!!

So far I have not done scrapbooking and it's the only aspect of "papercrafting" that I want to do digitally as my photos of the last few years are all digital.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 11:27 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

It won't be available Sept. 1. It won't be available until later in the fall. At least that's what we demos have been told, and that's what the Holiday Mini says. Sorry to burst your purchasing bubble!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, that's right, that's right!! I forgot!

I'm undecided if I'm anxious to purchase it or not. Looking at the reqs for it, I'm not sure my RAM is high enough. And not so sure a new computer is reasonable as I have wireless router issues already.

Just wondering. . . it's a pretty big deal, or so I thought, but not hearing too much excitement about it. I mean - we knew it was coming and by now loads of folks have seen the mini. It will be available during the period of the mini catalog.

Thanks for setting the record straight ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

With so much scrapbooking software on the market, it doesn't make sense to me. I have scrapbook max, photoshop CS3, Corel Paint Shop pro and somewhere Photoshop Elements 6.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 07:42 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Creative Memories is coming out with an upgraded software also that looks wonderful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomofonesonView Post
With so much scrapbooking software on the market, it doesn't make sense to me. I have scrapbook max, photoshop CS3, Corel Paint Shop pro and somewhere Photoshop Elements 6.
I think SU has missed the boat on this one. Digital scrapbooking has been around for a long long time and most digi scrappers I know use Photoshop Elements, Photoshop, or PaintShop Pro. There are so many other digital scrapbooking software packages. I have all of the same software Momofoneson named. You should also try a few free ones before you buy. The level of complexity is different with all of the different packages. The best free one I can think of off hand is ScrapbookFlair. They have quite a few free templates, backgrounds, and kits to start out with. There are literally thousands upon thousands of free digital scrapbooking kits available online to try out as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
I think SU has missed the boat on this one. Digital scrapbooking has been around for a long long time and most digi scrappers I know use Photoshop Elements, Photoshop, or PaintShop Pro. There are so many other digital scrapbooking software packages. I have all of the same software Momofoneson named. You should also try a few free ones before you buy. The level of complexity is different with all of the different packages. The best free one I can think of off hand is ScrapbookFlair. They have quite a few free templates, backgrounds, and kits to start out with. There are literally thousands upon thousands of free digital scrapbooking kits available online to try out as well.
While I understand that there are thousands, if not millions of savvy digitalers out there, I have photoshop and haven't been able to get the hang of it despite various books and tutorials.

I need basic, simple, easy to use on my MAC. I am anxiously awaiting SU's product. It might not be as sophisticated as others, but I am hoping it is easy to use. Period!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 09:41 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
While I understand that there are thousands, if not millions of savvy digitalers out there, I have photoshop and haven't been able to get the hang of it despite various books and tutorials.

I need basic, simple, easy to use on my MAC. I am anxiously awaiting SU's product. It might not be as sophisticated as others, but I am hoping it is easy to use. Period!!!
That's exactly my point. You should try a free program before you buy. You may not even like digital scrapbooking or you may not get the hang of the program. The free and/or trail versions of "digital scrapbooking" programs (not Photoshop type programs) are very simple to use and are all prett much the same.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 08:53 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am absolutely gonna jump on it!!! My dh doesn't know it yet, but that will be his Chanukah gift to me.

Years ago - on a now dead computer- I had the then current Photoshop elements and its way too complicated for my needs. I love the SU! products and colors and I can't wait to get a program that uses them and if its simple to use - all the better for me.

I'm not a demo - and I just hope my demo who just moved to another state can stay active so I can get it from her.

andrea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 09:20 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

I have never even seen a scrapbook page IRL that has been done digitially (I know I live under a rock) so I need beginner step by step stuff and I use 75% SU so it will co-ordinate with all my cardstock, ink, ribbons and other embelishements. I will probably order the day it is available. I think is will be user friendly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 06:43 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Well really you should consider the price first. Scrapbook Max is very user friendly, you can add video and music and it was only 30.00 and you can use any digital paper on the market in it. SU would be smart to sell the paper and the embellishments they make for it with generic extensions and if it costs what CM's cost, it will not be worth it. JMO coming from someone who has been doing digital scrapbooking for a long time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 07:05 AM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

I can't recommend the Creative Memories software enough. It is easy to learn and use and the quality is great. The Memory Manager software is great for editing, organizing, and storing photos. The Scrapbook Creator Plus is great for editing and making either pages or Storybooks (hardbound albums). Check out the website and look at the demos. Anything one can do with scissors and paper, one can do digitally with this software.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 09:39 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

These are exactly the kind of opinions I was hoping for ;) !!

I'm beginning to get a sense of deja vu ~ as in Cuttlebug?...Big Shot?...C'bug...BS?? LOL!! (Went with BS, by the way, and the CB is awaiting a new home. . . BS is cool - sturdy, fun, and better embossing... and was 20% off with free shipping!)

But seriously, this one is a bit more complicated. I'm actually beginning to think that the limitations of an SU program are exactly what I'm looking for. This may sound counter-intuitive to, well, most of us... But, I've been down the road with stamping of "oh my goodness, look at all the cool stuff I can get from EVERYWHERE!!"

I'm starting to think I need to rein it in so-to-speak if I get into digital scrapbooking. With SU, I pretty much know what to expect. That can sound kind of boring, but I don't know if I can afford another full-blown hobby and to me digital scrapbooking is pretty much a whole other ballgame.

Who knows... next week, my logic may take me down a different road entirely ... in the meantime: Keep it comin'!! Pros, cons, share your experience and thoughts - love it ;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 10:38 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomofonesonView Post
Well really you should consider the price first. Scrapbook Max is very user friendly, you can add video and music and it was only 30.00 and you can use any digital paper on the market in it. SU would be smart to sell the paper and the embellishments they make for it with generic extensions and if it costs what CM's cost, it will not be worth it. JMO coming from someone who has been doing digital scrapbooking for a long time.
Is Scrapbook Max the one you use the most? Sorry to be a pest but can you tell me which you think is the easiest?

I've been considering doing some digi-scrapping and have been thinking about the CM Plus version so that I could use other supplies but haven't made a final decision yet. I also have read so often how easy the CM program is.

I got a program a couple years ago called "Pixel Magic" but haven't used it much yet- it's not too complicated but if there is something easier out there, I'd like to know. I've played with it just a little but have a project that I would rather digi-scrap if I can master something without TOO much effort and time.

TIA!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 02:41 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm totally excited about My Digital Studio. I saw a few bits about it from Convention blog posts, and it looks fantastic. AND beginner-friendly, lol. AND Mac-friendly. SO much of it will coordinate with a lot of SU stuff I own already...

I love that people can buy bits and pieces to use in their own software if they don't want the whole package...that right there makes it great to me. It opens the program up to all levels of users.

I can't wait!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 02:49 PM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
I'm totally excited about My Digital Studio. I saw a few bits about it from Convention blog posts, and it looks fantastic. AND beginner-friendly, lol. AND Mac-friendly. SO much of it will coordinate with a lot of SU stuff I own already...

I love that people can buy bits and pieces to use in their own software if they don't want the whole package...that right there makes it great to me. It opens the program up to all levels of users.
I can't wait!
This is actually what I'll do-since I have PSE6 and love it. So there is something for everyone with this- either a user friendly program for newbies or digi-kits for those already using their preferred software. I can't wait to see it too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 03:43 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
Oh, that's right, that's right!! I forgot!

I'm undecided if I'm anxious to purchase it or not. Looking at the reqs for it, I'm not sure my RAM is high enough. And not so sure a new computer is reasonable as I have wireless router issues already.
;)

Here's the info from the SU website

What are the system requirements?
Prior to installing My Digital Studio, ensure that your computer meets the following technical specifications:
Windows:
    Macintosh:
      Other Requirements:
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 08-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #18  
        Dirty Dozen Alumni
        Creative Crew Alumni

I never have been good with Photoshop, but I really got the hang of digi-scrapping with the CM software. I had a ton of fun with it, but then switched back to traditional scrapping a few months ago and stopped doing digi. So, I'll really need to see what the SU digi stuff looks like before I buy any of it. I find it hard to let my real papers sit for too long

and they all lived scrappily ever after - my blog
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 08-10-2009, 03:38 PM   #19  
        Polyshrink Goddess

I'm so excited for this! I think I will scrapbook a lot more if I can do it digitally. All of my photos are digital and I don't like to print at home so it ends up being a huge ordeal to order prints and make sure I have the ones I want to scrap and the size I want, etc. and I really never get around to finishing them anymore (before I had two kids was another story, I seemed to have so much more time then! lol)
        I love that it will coordinate with my other SU stuff, so I can add real-life embellishments to compliment the pages. I can't wait!!!
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 08-10-2009, 05:51 PM   #20  
        Mad Swapper

I'm kind of interested in hybrid scrapping, although I don't actually do it. I really love the idea of combining elements of digital scrapping with traditional scrapping, and the SU software will automatically coordinate with a lot of my paper supplies, so it's kind of a no-brainer. I'm eager to check it out!
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 08-10-2009, 06:24 PM   #21  
        Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am very excited about this, I never did digital scrapbooking, but did look into it a while ago. I even tried the CM free software once but it was just a trial and I pretty much just played around.
        I quit scrapbooking a while ago due to the mess and time issues but would love to do special books for vacations or my kids first years.
        Besides this I'd also love to have all/or many of SU's designer papers digitally so I could print them out and use in my card making.

Does anyone know if the software will allow us to just print out something to use, like 4x6 inches of digital paper?
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 08-10-2009, 07:05 PM   #22  
        Matboard Maniac

Is it true that many of the SU images will be available in digital format?
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 08-10-2009, 10:34 PM   #23  
        Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by nibsView Post
        Is it true that many of the SU images will be available in digital format?
        yup!! Did I say I was excited, lol?? :mrgreen:
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 08-11-2009, 02:27 AM   #24  
        Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Skype™ to neverenuffstamps

I'm also excited that some of the old In Colors will be included in SU's My Digital Studio!
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 08-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #25  
        Matboard Maniac

The Mac and PC versions are the same......... if you need help with Photoshop and/or PhotoShop Elements........... go here, this is FORT DIGITAL SCRAPPING (my nic for it)

http://www.digishoptalk.com/boards/index.php

Digital Scrapbooking has been around for years, began with the MacPlus and was a take off of Desktop Publishing.

For the BEST free Digi Kits, go to shabbyprincess.com, she is/was a pioneer in digiscrapping.

Thru the years, many software companies have developed digiscrapbooking programs, none have become mainstream, too limiting, and the included graphics were often 2 cartoonish

The most common programs used are PhotoShop Elements, PhotoShop, CorelDraw Suite, PaintShop Pro, and LumaPix (used by commericial photographers, but recently they developed one for digi)

It a fun way to scrapbook and for the perfectionist so rewarding, you can undo 1000 times and the only waste is your time. The biggest expense is a very beefy computer for graphic intensive applications and a high quality ink jet printer if you want to print at home.

All the above programs have free 30 day trials......... enjoy
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 08-11-2009, 07:43 PM   #26  
        Matboard Maniac

Default SU My Digital Studio

subbing
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 08-12-2009, 01:17 AM   #27  
        Polyshrink Goddess

So you can just buy kits that will be compatible with Photoshop? Or do you have to purchase their software too?

Inkspots101 my crafting blog.
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 08-12-2009, 02:52 AM   #28  
        Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie StampsView Post
        So you can just buy kits that will be compatible with Photoshop? Or do you have to purchase their software too?
        I'm wondering the same thing. That would be awesome for all the PS and PSE users.
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 08-12-2009, 03:20 AM   #29  
        Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierMamaView Post
        I'm wondering the same thing. That would be awesome for all the PS and PSE users.
        I don't have a need to purchase another program and I'm sure many others out there don't either. I'm interested in getting digital kits though, but won't if prices are too unreasonable.

Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 08-15-2009, 12:03 AM   #30  
        Matboard Maniac

Check out studioj.com

I do alot of digital scrapbooking, time consuming and tedious...
        can't wait for this site to go live!
        My gallery ~ My Blog ~ My website
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 08-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #31  
        Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie StampsView Post
        I don't have a need to purchase another program and I'm sure many others out there don't either. I'm interested in getting digital kits though, but won't if prices are too unreasonable.
        Well if the prices follow suit on what SU charges for their products now, you know its going to be expensive for the kits. The digital scrapbooking market is so flooded with free stuff, I really want to see what their pricing is going to be on these digital products.
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 08-22-2009, 07:13 PM   #32  
        Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
        Well if the prices follow suit on what SU charges for their products now, you know its going to be expensive for the kits. The digital scrapbooking market is so flooded with free stuff, I really want to see what their pricing is going to be on these digital products.
        I'm curious too. It could be a detriment if they price too high, considering what is available for sale on the market. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #33  
        Cardstock Collector

Did you guys see that My Digital Studio is 50% off with a $400.00 party or order? Might be a good thing to add for just $40.00 during SAB.
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-17-2010, 03:49 PM   #34  
        Glitter Queen

Are you from outside the US? As far as I know My Digital Studio is not on sale during Sale-A-Bration. I wish it were!
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-18-2010, 05:34 AM   #35  
        Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Can we buy the digital kits and use them with a different program or do we have to use the SU software?

I am dying to know this. I fell in love with the kits when I was cyber shopping the other day at SU.

Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #36  
        Glitter Queen

From what I understand you can buy the SU digital downloads and use them in other programs (like Photo Shop).
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 01-19-2010, 05:31 AM   #37  
        Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Thank you snuggles for the answer. Now, I am excited and going to go back and make some orders.

Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 11-22-2010, 06:14 AM   #38  
        Matboard Maniac

subbing
        Reply With Quote Likes
        Old 11-22-2010, 06:34 AM   #39  
        Stazon Splitcoast

Check with your demo! I believe it's HALF PRICE November 22 through the 30th!

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
        Reply With Quote Likes