Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-24-2004, 08:24 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you stay organized...

while working on your projects? It seems like all of the sudden I have like 7 projects going (at least it seems that way). I don't know about anyone else, but, I start one then put that down and move on to the next and get that started or 1/2 finished then move on to the third and so on!
Last night I decided that I would make some swaps for Convention and have my upline take them, so I got involved playing with that, then had to get my dd bday invites started/done and I want to get to those paint cans and goodies inside. That project I haven't started, but moved on to the swaps and played aroun with my idea for a while. Finally today I had dd help out in making her invites and while I was at it we may as well get the Thank you's done (which not to mention my other dd had her bday in May and I have yet to send out thank you's let alone make them!) Anyway with all of the fun stuff how do you keep the work area organized when you are fooling around with ideas and one thing doesn't work or you want to try something else, but want to keep everything out just in case????

Ohhh and I put the wrong lids on the containers last night so when I went to emboss with the white I was using heat and stick and couldn't figure out why it wasn't as vibrant. Then I finally figured out what I did. Sometimes I feel like I am a mess and will never ever get it together!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 10:05 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I have to make myself not start anything new. This is difficult for me. I have tons of other crafts in varying degrees of progression. Make a list of what is a priority. What has to get done? Do that first. Finish and then hit next thing on list. I had a ton of swaps to do for our VC so I wrote down each swap with due dates and then put them in chronological order. If I don't do it this way, I would be a nervous wreck, and nothing would get done. HTH
Member #3785
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 04:38 AM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually try to finish one project at a time in stamping. While I'm fooling around, though, I stamp something and finish it, then that sparks a whole new idea to play with, so I push everything to the side and start something else, finish it, get another idea, push everything to the side then keep going. By the end of the night, my table is just COVERED with stuff! I can't be bothered to put away as I go when I get really excited about what I'm going to do next!

Since I have a stamp room, I can leave everything until the next morning. That's when I clean it up if I don't have an idea that must be tried immediately! I start out by cleaning up from the night before and often as I am doing that I'll get a whole new idea. Then the process starts all over again!

Stamping swaps, though, requires an assembly line process. I start out figuring out my sample, then I take measurements and start out by cutting all my cardstock. Then I'll stamp the pieces that need stamping, do my coloring and cutting out if necessary. Then I'll layer everything and add embellishments. I keep plastic baskets where I can pile ingredients in while I am in the process...that way if I have to stop and do something else, I can store all the stuff in a basket and slide it out of the way.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 05:03 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

i agree with Jan. I like to work a couple of different ideas at one time also, but I always try to clean up everything and start fresh the next day or whenever I get back to it.
Just seeing a clutter free table helps me be more productive - and keeps supplies organized.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 05:12 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

i work better when i have multiple things going.. that way i dont get bored.. if i am not feeling the project i am working on.. it will show in the final work.. so i break.. and work on one of my other projects until i am inspired to complete the other. currently, i am working on bday invites and three scrapbooks.. my family... and two minis.. the two minis are the ones i am having blocks on.. so i just go to the other two to keep me focused. anyway.. my .02
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 05:19 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I stamp in my office which is also headquarters for two home businesses, (with clients often popping in unexpectly) and the only room in the house with internet access (which means family members come and go all the time). Unfortunately, I am FORCED to be organized. My solution is to keep my stuff in "Project Boxes." This is just a box that I can throw everything into at a moments notice, but everything in the box pertains to just one project. I try not to have more than 3 projects going on at any one time. Sometimes, if the project in progress isn't too bulky, I store it in page protectors and then put it in a plastic project folder that I picked up at Target. And glue, scissors, rulers, bone folders etc all get put away everyday. It's a pain, because I am not a naturally neat person, but with my office being the busiest room in the house, at least it looks fairly neat and I can usually always find what I am looking for!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 05:20 AM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

I was just thinking about this organization thing this morning as I was in my craft room casing a card by Jan Tink. By the way, Jan your Simply Spring card (dress) was awesome. That's the one I cased. Anyway, I don't have enough space to do a whole lot with. I have drawers that I keep my stamps, pads and miscellaneous in, but the table top is covered with scraps of cs and I don't know where to put any of that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 05:25 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I'm the same way too! Generally my stamp area is organized and clean but that's when I'm not stamping! :lol: Otherwise it's a wreck! How many times have I been at the table and said, "Now where did those scissors go?? I had them just a few minutes ago!"

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 05:30 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though I have a space dedicated to my habit/obsession/passion/side-job, I don't leave everything I'm working on out all over the place. It is controlled chaos. When I am done for the night, ink pads & accessories go back where they go, and stamp sets get cleaned and put right back on the shelf. I like to have a fresh, clean counter and table when I get started.

Under my countertop, I have those rubbermaid drawer units. Those hold excess pre-cut stuff from workshops (bagged with the sample) for those on-the-go cards I always seem to need, one drawer holds my meager collection of wheels, handles, and ink. Others hold stuff to stamp on like gable boxes, note pads, and my stash of office supplies to turn into gifts. I keep the most-used stuff in plain view in my PC turnabout thing, and in little wooden drawer units from Target.

I'm pretty happy with the setup, but am constantly moving to accommodate new stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 05:37 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm a list maker. Then I make lists from lists. Prioritize what's on your list and work your way down.

I also borrow a tip I learned as a girl scout about cooking. Get out everything you need (for a project) and put away as you use it. When you are done, you are all cleaned up! For cooking, the dishes went into the soapy sink/dishwasher and the ingredient put away. You knew if you forgot something and were cleaned up in a snap! It works for projects, too. If you won't be able to finish in one sitting, I use our craft keepers. For larger projects, plastic boxes.

Also, like the others, I make my prototype first and then WRITE DOWN all the measurements, cut everything, stamp everything then assemble.

Hope this helps!

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 05:39 AM   #11  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

I have literature sorters for my cardstock and keep the scraps for each color in a page protector that I put in the same slot. That way I can grab the page protector first to see if I have any scraps that are the right size. But why is it that there hardly ever is a scrap that is exactly the size I need, LOL?

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 06:02 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I usually only work on one project at a time and then clean my supplies up from that one and go on to the next. If I do start something and get bored with it I put what I've started in a ziploc bag and put it in a folder that I have for this type of thing. That way I don't have bits and pieces from various project all over the place. I have limited space (dining room table), so I have to keep it off the table. I also have a rubbermaid type thingy (not sure what to call it?) with 7 drawers that is on wheels. It's clear, so I can see the names of my ink pads through the side of the drawers. It's not nearly big enough to hold all of my stamps, but it holds the little things that would be chaos if they were just thrown in a box.

HTH.

Michele
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 06:20 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

I like the plastic bin container idea! I have a literature sorter (just got it) and I am sooo loving that, then all the scraps are stored in the file thingy that the "other" company sells! Then I took one of the kids old bureau's (he just got new furniture) and stored everything else in that. Now I am waiting for the ink storage thing I ordered (I was hoping that would be here this week, but I don't see a charge for it yet, maybe I should call her again).
I can get organized! Ohh I like that part then again I like making the mess with te playing too! I was starting to wonder if I should pull out my other table and stick it in my room again!
I counted my projects that have to get done before Monday (so I can clean and pack for vacation) and there is 9 projects! Of course including putting an order together and wrapping gifts (gotta stamp those )
I can get organized, but I just can't keep it organized! Ohhh to have a maid so I can stamp and play! oh wait I have three of them! teehee if you can count the kiddos who do the chores halfheartedly!

Oh and I am becoming addicted to this place now! I used to visit another board and I don't go there as much. I sooo have to get a better handle on my time! I think I will enlist the kids to help today! I desperatly want to get the swaps done so I can take them to my uplines "open house" tonight she just converted her garage into a stamp studio! I think I will land up drooling!

Oh well I need to go I( just got a package!!! Yippeee! Then I will go finish my projects (high hopes here!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 06:35 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Here's what I've done so far...

I have 3 swaps going on at present so I've labelled a file folder w/ the title of each card or emellishment swap. One of the swap items is VERY involved, so I have just done a little at a time, emboss one night on ALL the items. If I have more time, do one more step on all the cards and continue biting off little bits at a time until I'm finished. When I'm done, I return all my stuff or most of it to it's proper place, especially stamp pads, punches, mono and stamp sets, or else I won't be able to find them then next time I'm ready to stamp something. I file the started project away in the appropriate file folder.

I also organized all my card stock in a file folder, using a label w/ color name on each label and the color family listed. When I started as a new demo last month, I purchased this label set that came with one piece of cardstock for each color family. Everytime I make a purchase of cardstock, I automatically file it upon receipt. I also save all my scrap pieces and rather than have separate little files with this stuff floating around, I just file away my reusable scraps when I'm done scrapping or stamping at the end of that session.

I also purchased a cardboard organizer for all my stamp pads, which holds 48 stamp pads at a time. This organizer was only about $27 and came fully assembled and holds a stamp pad and one refill in the same cubby hole. I can already see I'm going to need something bigger than this though since I'm interested in craft pads, stazon and possibly fabrico pads. :lol: :lol: :lol: (There's NO shortage of stamp pad choices with SU, FOR SURE!)

I still need to figure out some way to organize my newfound scrapbook paper collection. Up until now, I've only been a stamper, but have just taken the plunge into scrapbooking as of last week and I'm LOVING it!!!
Any ideas out there ladies? DO TELL!

HTH,
Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 06:37 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default P.S. Forgot to mention...

I keep all my cardstock in a portable cardboard file box. I think I will move it to a rubbermaid one soon as it's getting QUITE heavy as my cardstock collection is growing and I don't want to have the box cave in on me when I lug it around to various stamp functions or demos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 06:38 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I just have to share! i was going to go get a shower and go get some plastic bins and take the van to get checked out when the package came and in it is a pretty basket and a nice size too! With a pretty liner!!!! So now I have a pretty basket to put my projects in! I am so excited!
Now to follow through. (ohhh and I also got a ton of Jolly Ranchers to suck on while I work!!!! YAY! Oh I think it will be a productive day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 07:08 AM   #17  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Jolly Ranchers? MMMMmM I like the watermelon ones.

My last hostess brought bags of M & M's and Rolos and left them all with me! I've been carving my way through the Rolos...no wonder I'm not losing any weight, LOL!

Well, today I have to WORK...gotta go do the church bulletin, then later this afternoon I have to work the dinner over at my kids' new school festival, then it's coming home and going out to dinner with my best friend; Thai food, oh so yummy....yay!

So after my clown frenzy last night my table is a pit! Maybe I'll get home and head down there after dinner. My friend has to go home by 10, so that gives me a couple of hours to stamp. I haven't even started convention swaps, I have a class on Monday with two projects left to be developed, plus my upline has her meeting next Wednesday; have to make swaps for that too! Aaaaaahhh! Oh, not to mention the beginning scrapbooker workshop I have next Friday!

My downline is coming to stamp on Saturday night, so maybe I'll get something done then. Though we do spend a lot of time just yakkin'!

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 07:27 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Question: What is a "literature sorter?" Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 08:07 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

a literature sorter is like a mail sorter, paper organizer. it has slots that are shorter for sticking literature into. When I went looking for the paper sorter thing I didn't know what it was called so when I went into the office supply stores I was corrected and told it was a literature sorter.

Oh gosh I can't even think of doing any swaps right now! I wish I could I want to do some swaps! Then the issue of how to organize all of that will come into play! Ohhh always something to organize!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 08:56 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

Cindy (AKA Crazed Stamper), where did you get the $27 cardboard stamp pad organizer???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 09:52 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

O.K., "staying organized while working on a project" seems more like a complete non-sequiter than anything else but I guess I could try, lol! I am SOOOO disorganized it's pathetic. And then when I start to clean up I get sidetracked and start making stuff instead of cleaning, usually adding to the chaos!! I am as bad as my 12 year old...o.k. worse but I could never admit that to him. (Like he doesn't already notice...)

However, I was pleased to see that my thought of trying to organize a project was actually the same as an organized person -- Speedy stamper! I try to save the boxes that cases of pop come in...they are more like trays than boxes. Stackable, but big enough to keep whole pieces of cardstock along with any pads, ep's, stamps, whatever goes with the project together without smooshing anything.

Not that I do this....but I could if I wanted.....yup

Betsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 11:25 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

I am so bad at this. I travel around the room. I start at a clean table and keep moving to a clean spot until the roomnas been taken over. It is HORRIBLE!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2004, 11:40 AM   #23  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default organization

I HAVE to be organized when I'm stamping or I have a hard time creating. As a general rule of thumb, I try to put everything away when I'm done stamping so that the mess doesn't get out of control. I do however have a pile of scraps next to me that I usually try to file at the end of a week. I keep a rubbermaid container with manilla folders. Each color is clearly marked on the folder. Then all of the scraps are filed accordingly by color. I find I use more of my scraps this way!

Good luck! Lana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2004, 06:34 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

HI,
I am the kind of person that has it all out when I am creating!!! I bought 2 small drawer systems that I store the current ink pads I am using as well as all sorts of other small things that I might need. I just place these things on the dining room table with me while I go crazy. I also bought a fridge door organizer/caddy ( you know the type of thing that you could put all your condiments in) I use that to store my frequently used items like mono, scissors, blender pens,etc. ( it is always full) but at least I know that my scissors are in that bin all the time! I also have a small plastic basket that I store the cardstock scraps in... I keep it close at hand when I am creating, so that it is more convenient to check out the scraps first rather than cutting into a new peice of paper. And my last tip is... I have a paper bag ( lunch sized) taped to the edge of my table for any garbage I might have... it saves time when I need to clean up in a hurry.
Kerri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2004, 08:13 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

here is my 2 cents: I have 4 kids (who I homeschool and they all love to stamp with me) and if it is not organized, I would go crazy!
Walmart sells these small baskets (4.5x5.5, 2.5x9.5, 6.5x9.5). In Alaska they are 4 for $1.04!! I have lots!

I use the 6.5x9.5 to put unfinished projects and supplies for project, until finished.

the long skinny (2.5x9.5) is perfect for my most favorite supplies, craft knife, pens, stampamaig, 6" ruler, and so on. I also use this size for my embossing gun, it fits perfect!

the next size (4.5x5.5) is perfect for store 6 jars of embossing powder, eyelet, brads and all the little tools needed for them.

Also, they fit and organize drawer space! (like a silverware drawer organizer) you take out only the one you need!
Reply With Quote Likes