Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-28-2005, 11:41 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you use them?

I have received some lovely commercial Christmas cards with beautiful artwork on them. I really hate to toss them and wondered how, or if, anyone incorporates these as a part of their cards. If there are any in the gallery I would love to see them or hear your suggestions on ways to use them. Thanks for your input.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2005, 11:44 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Ths is not exactly what you are looking for BUT, i thought i would suggest it anyway. I use hole punch and punch aroudn the major design(s) then i give ot my boys to 'sew' with yarn.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2005, 11:52 AM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts
Red face Just an Idea

Quote:

Originally Posted by judylb
I have received some lovely commercial Christmas cards with beautiful artwork on them. I really hate to toss them and wondered how, or if, anyone incorporates these as a part of their cards. If there are any in the gallery I would love to see them or hear your suggestions on ways to use them. Thanks for your input.
I haven't ever used them as cards, but you could use a cutting system (or make your own pattern) and cut out the best parts to use as a "To: From:" tag for next years gifts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2005, 12:56 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Every year around November my mom pulls out all the Christmas cards from the year before, looks at them one more time, then I go to work.

I cut apart the cards to make gift tags. Sometimes I use decorative scissors, but usually I just cut rectangles around the images, or parts of images. We ususally like them to be anywhere from 1 x 2 inches to 3 x 4 inches depending on the size of the box, so anything goes when I cut the cards apart.

I even save the plain colored parts sometimes. If the card is made from a red base card, then you can use all the parts around the writing in the middle as plain red tags, that you can stamp on, or just write To: and From: on the back of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2005, 01:55 PM   #5  
Inking Addict

I meet once a week at a senior center with 10 to 12 woman. We bring stamping supplys and make cards for ourself. We share our stamps. Once a month we recycle used cards. All kinds not just christmas. We cut around these cards and use whatever part we can to create a new card. We put this on new cardstock. The inside is useally stamped. These cards are given to the center and they sell them to the seniors for a small amount or send them to their members when needed. We enjoy doing this and they don't have to buy cards. They turn out really nice. It's a shame to throw those nice cards away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2005, 04:14 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 246 Likes on 147 Posts

I have made collage tags out of them and mounted them in my scrapbooks and used them for cards. I have also made holiday bookmarks out of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2005, 06:08 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

A friend of mine gave me a cute card this year made out of an old Christmas Card. She sized it to fit , tore the bottom (for effect) and layed a piece of vellum over the top of the image, say a horse and cutter in the snow. Then she stamped a snowman and children of the vellum as if they were in the foreground and the horse and cutter scene was behind the vellum in the background. Added glitter, ribbon and brads and "called er good."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2005, 06:15 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

My Great Aunt uses hers for next years present tags (trims them of course). I also have donate mine to the local nursing home for them to use for patients. They use them for sewing to keep their fingers loose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2005, 07:28 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My very non-crafty friend lays just the fronts of cards out an a paper the size of a placemat, thewn runs them thru a xyron laminator, and she has her holiday placemats!! They are done very nicely and dont look chessy!!
Tandra

SA Sistah -Original Swappers Anonymous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2005, 12:47 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I use the square punch and punch out certain pictures from different cards, Usually about 6 squares, I then use my gold krylon pen around the edges--mount onto a card front and stamp a holiday saying below.They turn out nicely!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2005, 01:49 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is a wonderful book (buried somewhere in my stamp studio :shock: ) that showcases some extraordinarily beautiful ways to craft by recycling commercial greeting cards.

While there is a little redudancy (decoupage), the photography and projects themselves were so beautiful and inspiring to me, I had to buy the book! :o

I don't know if it's in print any more, but I did find a listing at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/080...books&v=glance
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2005, 10:14 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
There is a wonderful book (buried somewhere in my stamp studio :shock: ) that showcases some extraordinarily beautiful ways to craft by recycling commercial greeting cards.

While there is a little redudancy (decoupage), the photography and projects themselves were so beautiful and inspiring to me, I had to buy the book! :o

I don't know if it's in print any more, but I did find a listing at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/080...books&v=glance

I have this same book and it has some wonderful ideas on using the cards to make Christmas Ornaments, decoupage objects. The ideas are very unique - it's a good book.
C

http://sailingwithscissors.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2005, 10:26 AM   #13  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by nbwcc
I cut apart the cards to make gift tags. Sometimes I use decorative scissors, but usually I just cut rectangles around the images, or parts of images. We ususally like them to be anywhere from 1 x 2 inches to 3 x 4 inches depending on the size of the box, so anything goes when I cut the cards apart.
This is sort of what I do too. I usually silhouette around the image, or I'll cut it into a square or rectangle. Then I punch a hole in the top, and use ribbon to make tags for next year's gifts.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:16 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use mine to make children's ABC books for a charity sale each year. There is a verse for each letter of the alphabet and finding the right picture takes a bit of time but goes faster if you collect cards from your friends. You can incorporate stamping on the pages if you are really ambitious.

Andi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2005, 02:09 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

My mom taught me once how to make little boxes out of old cards... I cannot remember how the folds and stuff go, but I am guessing somewhere out there on this great world wide web that there are instructions! (if I come across them I will post them here) They end up looking like little jewelry boxes and if you do it right the main image from the front is on the top of the box. They are cute and could also easily be "jazzed" up with your stamps and embellishments!
Isaiah 40:31
check this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2005, 02:25 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

okay so that was easier than I thought! I quick did a google search for "boxes out of greeting cards" and the following was one of the top links...

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/recycli...card-box.shtml
Isaiah 40:31
check this!
Reply With Quote Likes