Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning Stamps

I am a bit fussy when it comes to cleaning my stamps. My problem is that I recently became a SU demonstrator and part of my starter kit contained the Stamp Cleaning pad and spray. I am okay about the spray, but whenever I use the pad, I just seem to smear the ink all over the place and it is not very clean. I have cleaned the pad off and tried again. Is it me or is there a problem that has another approach? I would appreciate all answers. Thank you
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 04:10 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

sometimes if you get to much cleaner on the scrub pad it causes it to be too wet and that is why it smears the ink or at least that is what I have come to find with mine but I know that you also have to wash the scrub pad and let it air dry and then all set . maybe after you spray the cleaner you could dab it with a paper towel so it wont be as wet and then dont put as much pressure when you scrub your stamps. I hope this helps . good luck with your scrub pad ;) have a great weekend
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 04:15 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

I usually either wipe my stamp first with a baby wipe, or I stamp off on a piece of paper many times to get the majority of the ink off first, then I swipe it across the cleaning pad. For me, this works the best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 06:06 PM   #4  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by deb_loves_stampingView Post
I usually either wipe my stamp first with a baby wipe, or I stamp off on a piece of paper many times to get the majority of the ink off first, then I swipe it across the cleaning pad. For me, this works the best.
I agree, wiping on baby wipes (alcohol-free) before cleaning on pad will clean best. The baby wipe takes off the excess ink letting the pad do the work of cleaning in all the little corners and getting ink stain off the rubber. If you leave all that ink on the stamp and go right to the pad, it just builds up fast and defeats the purpose of the pad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 10:43 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Sometimes I have a damp paper towel handy and blod off the excess ink first then use the cleaner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 11:11 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have found the best thing!!

I use a baby wipe first then if I can't get all the ink off I use a mixture of Simple Green and Distilled Water in a small sprayer. I leave it on for a few minutes take a very soft toothbrush and brush the whole stamp clean - I then wash it off in warm water and dry for about 12 hours. It has not hurt my stamps at all. I am a SU Demo too and have recommended this to my customers.

The recipe: 1/2 cup of Distilled Water (you don't want the impurities in reg. water)
and a 1/4 cup of Simple Green Concentrated Cleaner. Pour this in a small sprayer bottle. You can save the rest for later use.

Just an idea -
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 03:14 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wash my scrubber about every 2-4 uses depending on what inks I am using. I also wipe my stamps with the baby wipes first. I cut my wipes into 3rds to make them last longer also and this way you don't have a whole one sitting out drying up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 09:31 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by wunderkraftsView Post
I have found the best thing!!

The recipe: 1/2 cup of Distilled Water (you don't want the impurities in reg. water)
and a 1/4 cup of Simple Green Concentrated Cleaner. Pour this in a small sprayer bottle. You can save the rest for later use.

Just an idea -
Thanks for the recipe! I will definitely try this asap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 10:34 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenwhiteView Post
I am a bit fussy when it comes to cleaning my stamps. My problem is that I recently became a SU demonstrator and part of my starter kit contained the Stamp Cleaning pad and spray. I am okay about the spray, but whenever I use the pad, I just seem to smear the ink all over the place and it is not very clean. I have cleaned the pad off and tried again. Is it me or is there a problem that has another approach? I would appreciate all answers. Thank you
Hey Karen! I'm like you - a bit OCD about my stamps being perfectly clean - so I asked this question too some time ago. I got lots of responses, but it really seemed to be that the ladies who got their Stampin' Scrubs a while ago all seemed to love them. Those of us who had gotten them recently (like you, I'm a relatively new demo) all seemed to be having the same problem that you're describing. While I love SU's quality in so many of their products, this one just didn't seem to work for me. So I now use baby wipes. I get the package of 180 at Target for $1.89 or something. They take all the ink off with just a swipe or two. I haven't used my Stampin' Scrub since. Of course, I'm just a hobby demo. If I was doing workshops, I might still use the Stampin' Scrub during a workshop since it is SU's method of cleaning the stamps. I'd hit all the stamps with baby wipes once I got home though and make sure they're all clean! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 05:51 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TenakeeView Post
Hey Karen! I'm like you - a bit OCD about my stamps being perfectly clean - so I asked this question too some time ago. I got lots of responses, but it really seemed to be that the ladies who got their Stampin' Scrubs a while ago all seemed to love them. Those of us who had gotten them recently (like you, I'm a relatively new demo) all seemed to be having the same problem that you're describing. While I love SU's quality in so many of their products, this one just didn't seem to work for me. So I now use baby wipes. I get the package of 180 at Target for $1.89 or something. They take all the ink off with just a swipe or two. I haven't used my Stampin' Scrub since. Of course, I'm just a hobby demo. If I was doing workshops, I might still use the Stampin' Scrub during a workshop since it is SU's method of cleaning the stamps. I'd hit all the stamps with baby wipes once I got home though and make sure they're all clean! ;)
I have onr of the new scrubbers. It is not as good as the old one but it works fine. I use a drop of dishsoap and scrub it wiht my finger to get all the ink out. I then rinse it for several minutes to get all the soap and ink out. It is really clean when I am done - just liek new.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2009, 09:57 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

Smile

Thanks everyone for your replies.

What is Simple Green - as I live in Australia, I will have to work out an equivalent product here. I have tried a few of these already with good results, so I am quite happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2009, 03:43 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

I just use baby wipes too. It's just soooo easy. I don't have a big work area and I don't keep my scrub pad out. It seems like a hassle to get it out. And I really don't have time to be fooling around with washing it....so it's baby wipes for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2009, 03:43 AM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I used to use wipes but now use plain white washcloths I bought at Target. I wet one, ring out the excess water, fold it up, and put it in a wipes travel-size plastic case to store. When the part that's in use gets gummed up, I refold it to a clean part. Repeat until the whole thing is covered in ink. Then put it in the wash (towel load).

It's economical, works great, and isn't fussy. I do have a stamp scrub pad (from HL) which I use with Ultra Clean stamp cleaner when a rubber stamp is badly stained. That stuff is awesome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2009, 03:46 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I use baby wipes also, but don't like the lint/fibers they sometimes leave on my stamps. Anyone else notice this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2009, 09:23 AM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

hye girls I know that sometimes we all have are littel things we do but you know even thought i use baby wipes or even the clorox wipes when there is a real tuff stain I still go bakc and rub my rubber stamps every once in a while thru the SU cleaner it tends to condition the rubber of my stamps I know when I first started stamping i had some cheapo stamps that were really bad looking and my friend had me clean my stamps off with the SU cleaner and rub them on the scrubber and wow it really amde a difference in the rubber and it even made them seem like new so ladies remember that if the wipes have alcohol in them they will dry out the rubber and i find that the huggie baby wipes dont seem to lint up as much for me . Well ladies have a great day creating stamping and having fun with your rubbahs and inks big hugs adn lots of love chow for now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 07:34 PM   #16  
Embossing Fanatic

I was always taught to "stamp it off" ... stamp the image on scrap paper over and over till it is light/to non existant... then use the pad... Saves the $$ on the wipes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 09:47 PM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

I also blot my stamps before cleaning, using baby wipes, or scratch paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 09:48 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use baby wipes, and cleans them really good ;)
Reply With Quote Likes