Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-14-2009, 12:28 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I won't go to Archivers again.

I loved that store. The people were always friendly and helpful until this past Saturday.

I went in there and was looking for the Tim Holtz stuff. Two months ago they had a special section with all his stuff in the area. I also looked to see if they had the new brights and lights alcohol inks as well. So when I walked around, didn't find what I was looking for, I asked one of the ladies there.

She huffed at me! As if I were disturbing her walking sleep experience or something. Whatever. Then she said what's left of the alcohol inks are in the clearance rack because we aren't going to carry them anymore. And we don't have any Tim Holtz stuff. You must be mistaken that you saw them in here. Then she walked off.

Ok, look I know I'm 57 and everything...but I ain't blind nor am I stupid. Matter of fact the manager is the one who showed me the Tim Holtz area and was all excited, said they were working on getting him to come out and do workshop. So I know, for a fact, they had the stuff there.

Anyhow, that manager is no longer there. She must have been too nice and have really great customer service skills so she's gone. And the other ladies are just plain rude now. I asked this woman for a manager and she said her manager was too busy to come out there right now because she was teaching a class with children.

So I'm not going back. And I sent a letter of complaint to the head office.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2009, 12:32 PM   #2  
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 391 Likes on 236 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandmamichelfView Post
I loved that store. The people were always friendly and helpful until this past Saturday.

I went in there and was looking for the Tim Holtz stuff. Two months ago they had a special section with all his stuff in the area. I also looked to see if they had the new brights and lights alcohol inks as well. So when I walked around, didn't find what I was looking for, I asked one of the ladies there.

She huffed at me! As if I were disturbing her walking sleep experience or something. Whatever. Then she said what's left of the alcohol inks are in the clearance rack because we aren't going to carry them anymore. And we don't have any Tim Holtz stuff. You must be mistaken that you saw them in here. Then she walked off.

Ok, look I know I'm 57 and everything...but I ain't blind nor am I stupid. Matter of fact the manager is the one who showed me the Tim Holtz area and was all excited, said they were working on getting him to come out and do workshop. So I know, for a fact, they had the stuff there.

Anyhow, that manager is no longer there. She must have been too nice and have really great customer service skills so she's gone. And the other ladies are just plain rude now. I asked this woman for a manager and she said her manager was too busy to come out there right now because she was teaching a class with children.

So I'm not going back. And I sent a letter of complaint to the head office.
That is really sad!

That is rude! You wonder if the store will last with customer service like that.

Our old JoAnn's store was poorly run, messy, could never find anything. The moved to a new location (much larger), totally restaffed and it is a GREAT store now. Maybe that will happen for you.

I'm curious to see the response to your letter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2009, 12:42 PM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

Default store

I agree with you. I am getting tired of that store. It has put so many scrapbooking stores out of business. I fell like the store is searching for products but at the same time I am tired of the products that they carry. I need more ideas/product.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #4  
Inking Addict

I am really surprised....everytime I've been in that store ,the gals working are better than nice....I doubt it had anything to do with your age....(I'm older than you)....you just got lucky, and got a crabby salewoman, who, if they are smart, won't be working there much longer......since I'm a SU demo, I don't purchase a lot, but, I like to see what's out there.....and, it is a beautiful store.....I bet you get an apology from headquarters.....these smaller stores have to depend on good service to stay in business against all the larger ones like Joann's and Michael's....Janey Bungart
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2009, 12:48 PM   #5  
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 391 Likes on 236 Posts

BTW, I don't have an Archiver's near me, so I have no idea what the store is like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Some of the workers at my Archivers are really sweet gals, but the last time I was there I said something along the lines of "this is so cute" as I browsed right when an employee happened to pass by me. She looked at me and said "Isn't everything?" in an annoyed tone of voice. The choices here are limited, so I will likely go back sometime in the future though. I'll just ignore that gal like I did last time!

Anita Be Stampin (my blog)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2009, 02:56 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

Hopefully, your letter to HQ will result in some changes in that store. I wouldn't hold my breath, though. I've written them a half dozen times about opening more stores and have never heard a word back.
I've always had wonderful customer service (someimes on the border of overkill) in both the Archiver's stores at which I shop. I was also looking for Tim Holtz items when I went last month and was disappointed with the lack of selection. I have much better luck finding his and all the Ranger products at the smaller, local stores.
Please let us know if/what you hear from HQ.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2009, 03:04 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have only gone to the one in Houston about 4 times a year (I am in Dallas) but I have never ever had anyone be anything but wonderful and helpful and help me find clearance stuff to match! I am 55 so i know what you are saying about the "elderly" things with the young'ns!

I don't think it is an Archiver's thing...I think it was her thing! I had someone completely disregard that I was in line and paying..an assitant manager at a Joann's actully shooed me out the door. I mean made the hand gestures and said "shoo, you've paid". I sent a letter to him, the store manager, the district manager, and one on line. He is still there but much nicer now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds to me like someone is in the wrong job. . . too bad.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2009, 04:18 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

If they don't like crafting what the heck are they working there for and if they do craft I hope they run into clones of themselves next time they need something ----:twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2009, 07:58 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorView Post
That is really sad!

That is rude! You wonder if the store will last with customer service like that.

Our old JoAnn's store was poorly run, messy, could never find anything. The moved to a new location (much larger), totally restaffed and it is a GREAT store now. Maybe that will happen for you.

I'm curious to see the response to your letter.
Are you talking about the JoAnne's on Street Road? If so, I totally agree!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2009, 09:15 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Though this is already mentioned - may I suggest you write to the corporate office? They won't know if no one tells them. The folks at my archivers are incredibly helpful - and show me demos of new products for the fun of it! Now ... it it wasn't 40 minutes away from my home ....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2009, 09:31 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I won't go to Archivers again either. But not because of rude service - but because the prices are outrageously high for everything except what's in the clearance section. My husband got me a gift certificate last Christmas, so I finally went last month and found 2 punches that I was willing to pay full price for. The stuff is cute and all, but when I can find really unique stamping stuff online wayyyyyyyy cheaper, or better yet - free shipping at scrapbookingalley.com I have no reason to go back to Archivers and settle for whats on their shelves. But BTW, I refuse to shop at my local ma & pa scrapbook stores too. Prices too high - inventory too limited. I wish them the best of luck, but they don't get my discretionary income either. Now...... Pat Catans....... that's a different story. Love that store. But probably 80% of my stamping supplies are purchased online.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2009, 09:35 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

That was a terrible experience..sounds like they had a bad apple or maybe she was just having a bad day but it's still no excuse for not providing good service. The staff should be reminded that good service and good products = job security. Especially in these tough economic times.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2009, 09:48 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Every so often I get an online survey from A's. I think the first question is 'Were you greeted by one of the staff when you entered the store?" Other questions are "Were you approached by a staff member to check on whether they could help you?" "When you needed assistance, did you have to find a staff person, or did they find you?"

Archivers knows that its products can be bought for less. They want to offer a better experience than Big Box does. I love it when the cashier admires my purchases. When i leave Archivers, I feel like I've been at the Spa.

i think Archivers would be very interested to hear of your experience that is so NOT the image they wish to project!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 02:39 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

YIKES I am in Nebraska too and I probably know the location you referenced. Yep they are snobs.

Bonnnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 04:11 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampnf1nView Post
YIKES I am in Nebraska too and I probably know the location you referenced. Yep they are snobs.

Bonnnie
HMMM, sounds like this store may have a personnel problem. Management and/or corporate needs to know so remedial customer service training can begin!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 04:35 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

The problem must be all over the country. When our Archivers first opened, the girls there were fantastic. You walked in and they spoke, lots of time calling you by name, and so willing to help you, share ideas and suggestions etc. Because of the company and a snob for a manager, all those girls left and now they hire the grumpest people they can find. They are not helpful at all and no knowledge about any of the products.
I find the prices are so high that my visits have almost stopped - if I am in the area and have a few minutes, I might stop in just to see what they have, but I usually walk out empty handed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampnf1nView Post

Bonnnie
This would be the one that's out at Village Point in Omaha. Same one you're thinking about? It's the only I know about it.

I used to go in there at least once every other month. It takes us 30 minutes to get there (which isn't THAT long) but gas prices limit just running around like that. Before I was always greeted when I first walked in the store or within a couple of minutes after. I could ask someone for help and they were marvelous in helping me find something or giving me alternatives to use.

When I got back in our car, I told my husband and daughter---we are never going back there. I will stay with Michaels, HL and Mangelsens. At least they have always been decent with me (I know everyone has a bad experience in each store).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 12:09 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says-oh crap, she's up

I LOVE the Archiver's I frequent in Apple Valley MN. The ladies there are awesome and I think know every single item they have in stock and where it's at. On the other hand I am getting bored with the items they stock. I would love to see Cuttlebug, Cricut and Spellbinders goodies there.

are you a bereaved parent too? http://www.thecompassionatefriends.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 12:39 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post
I won't go to Archivers again either. But not because of rude service - but because the prices are outrageously high for everything except what's in the clearance section. My husband got me a gift certificate last Christmas, so I finally went last month and found 2 punches that I was willing to pay full price for. The stuff is cute and all, but when I can find really unique stamping stuff online wayyyyyyyy cheaper, or better yet - free shipping at scrapbookingalley.com I have no reason to go back to Archivers and settle for whats on their shelves. But BTW, I refuse to shop at my local ma & pa scrapbook stores too. Prices too high - inventory too limited. I wish them the best of luck, but they don't get my discretionary income either. Now...... Pat Catans....... that's a different story. Love that store. But probably 80% of my stamping supplies are purchased online.

I have to agree 100% with this statement. On the rare occasion I go to Archivers (Maple Grove, MN), everything is so outrageously expensive that I usually walk out with nothing. I get much of my stuff from SU and if i need to get some contraband, I buy it online.

It should be noted though that I have never had a problem with the employees at A but the store did put a nearby mom and pop rubber stamping store out of business which kind of bugged me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 12:40 PM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I have to agree 100% with this statement. On the rare occasion I go to Archivers (Maple Grove, MN), everything is so outrageously expensive that I usually walk out with nothing. I get much of my stuff from SU and if i need to get some contraband, I buy it at Joanns or online.

It should be noted though that I have never had a problem with the employees at A but the store did put a nearby mom and pop rubber stamping store out of business which kind of bugged me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandmamichelfView Post
This would be the one that's out at Village Point in Omaha. Same one you're thinking about? It's the only I know about it.

I used to go in there at least once every other month. It takes us 30 minutes to get there (which isn't THAT long) but gas prices limit just running around like that. Before I was always greeted when I first walked in the store or within a couple of minutes after. I could ask someone for help and they were marvelous in helping me find something or giving me alternatives to use.

When I got back in our car, I told my husband and daughter---we are never going back there. I will stay with Michaels, HL and Mangelsens. At least they have always been decent with me (I know everyone has a bad experience in each store).
My post was regarding the Village Pointe location as well. How odd that I never noticed that you were in Nebraska too until just now! I guess I am not as observant as I thought. :rolleyes:

Anita Be Stampin (my blog)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 07:02 AM   #24  
Mad Swapper

Default dupe please delete

duplicate post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 07:17 AM   #25  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

I do agree about the prices at Archiver's. And since there isn't one anywhere close to me (Wichita, KS) it's not much of an issue. But when I was in Detroit, I went to my first Archiver's and everyone there was fabulous (it's in Novi- the suburbs-WAY out in the suburbs!), and I do try and hit the two stores in Kansas City when I'm up there. They carry some gem strips called Clusters that I love, so I'm usually buying some of those. And I hit the clearance and the cheap spot, but in general, yeah, their stuff is just too pricey for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 08:55 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 866 Posts
Default Tim's stuff at Michael's

I found Tim's stamping stuff at Michael's in Fox Valley (Illinois) a few months ago.....was suprised.

Archivers- well, I have had good and bad experiences there- but I love the discounted coupons- and free paper coupons. Since I have 2 within 20 minutes or so, I will keep going!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 12:22 PM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

That is too bad! With the economy the way it is-can anyone afford to lose business or their job!?

Marcee Rodgers

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 12:43 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

We have several Archievers here in Minnesota.
I have never had a bad experience. The girls in Apple Valley I think are the most friendly. the other ones are there I think to get their discount. The Roseville store has some great people working there. so those are the ones that I frequent the most.
caroline
Minnetonka, MN
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 07:03 PM   #29  
all
Matboard Maniac

Sorry that you had a bad experience at Archivers. I frequent the two stores in Michigan and I would agree with the other posts that they do have much higher prices than Michael's, JoAnn's & Hobby Lobby. I only buy at Archivers when I have a 30% or more coupon. I have also been to the store in Apple Valley MN, and the sales people are very nice and helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 06:04 AM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm
Vintage Lover

Received 354 Likes on 259 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcschmidtyView Post
Archivers- .... but I love the discounted coupons- and free paper coupons.
Last coupon I got online didn't have the "free paper" anymore unless you bought 5-8 1/2 by 11 or 3-12 by 12....then you'd get the same in free paper. :mad: Darn!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 04:57 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have noticed a change at one of our local Archivers, too. I have been shopping there for years and went in last week to return something. I have never returned anything there in the past. Anyway, they have had some changes in staff and the woman who "helped" me was so rude! But then really super nice to the woman behind me, so I had to wonder if it was because I was returning something. I will go a bit further out of my way in the future to shop at the store with the nicer staff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 06:21 PM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waldsb651View Post
They are not helpful at all and no knowledge about any of the products.
I really haven't been to Archiver's much because of the distance, but I did happen to be near one on Father's Day, (Hubby was golfing for his Father's Day activity, so I, of course, had the kids) so I decided to try shopping there, even with the kids.

First thing I noticed was a lack of carts. Maybe this is at all of their stores, but I know I buy a LOT more when I have a cart to put it in, even when I shop without the kids!! So I found a salesperson, who *was* doing something, but *was not* helping another customer, so I figured I could ask her a quick question. I asked if they had carts and her reply, word for word, was, "We absolutely do not!" I was taken aback and didn't know what to say to that kind of response. So, even though I had another question, I decided I was going to ask someone else.

So, I found another salesperson and asked her if they carried any paper with any kind of money on it and she just said, "No one makes that." When I looked at her with a kind of baffled look (both because of her abrupt response and because I had just purchased paper with $20 bills on it, so I *knew* it existed) she did try to give me a <little> more of an explanation saying maybe it's a thing about it looking too much like real money, but she seemed to think that because they didn't carry it, it couldn't exist.

Needless to say, I think we used the bathroom there (my son is potty training, so we use the bathroom everywhere!) and quickly checked out the clearance section, and that was it!

Wow! I really didn't mean to go on a rant like that, sorry! I guess I've been holding it in and it was nice to see some others who shared my not-so-great experience with Archiver's. :rolleyes:

Quote:

or better yet - free shipping at scrapbookingalley.com I have no reason to go back to Archivers and settle for whats on their shelves.
And you are just dangerous!! :twisted: I've already checked out the website and I will probably be placing an order soon!! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 07:32 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

That really does suck.
My Archiver's is the same way. I really loved shopping there when I first got in to cardmaking because it was a neat store, great variety - more of what I would use I got there as opposed to Michael's. Then I started to notice that out of like 6 ladies that work there, only 1 of them is half-way nice. I gots better places to spend my money than with people who are too busy doing nothing to help me...or are rude and not even remotely friendly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 08:13 PM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience at archiver's, but I do wonder about your rant re: the manager being busy.

Was she supposed to stop teaching the class right then and there to come address your problem? That doesn't seem fair to her students, kwim? I'm sure a large part of the issue was the sales clerk's attitude, but it does seem that you expected the manager to be immediately available, and she just wasn't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 09:06 PM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarceeView Post
That is too bad! With the economy the way it is-can anyone afford to lose business or their job!?
This is exactly the same thing I thought when I read the thread....maybe these women have been forced out to work but hey they shouldn't take it out on the customers eh?! I know it's no consolation but it is an epidemic as it happens all over the world. :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 09:42 PM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
My Pinkie is Inkie in Boxertown

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by G&GsMomView Post
I really haven't been to Archiver's much because of the distance, but I did happen to be near one on Father's Day, (Hubby was golfing for his Father's Day activity, so I, of course, had the kids) so I decided to try shopping there, even with the kids.

First thing I noticed was a lack of carts. Maybe this is at all of their stores, but I know I buy a LOT more when I have a cart to put it in, even when I shop without the kids!! So I found a salesperson, who *was* doing something, but *was not* helping another customer, so I figured I could ask her a quick question. I asked if they had carts and her reply, word for word, was, "We absolutely do not!" I was taken aback and didn't know what to say to that kind of response. So, even though I had another question, I decided I was going to ask someone else.

So, I found another salesperson and asked her if they carried any paper with any kind of money on it and she just said, "No one makes that." When I looked at her with a kind of baffled look (both because of her abrupt response and because I had just purchased paper with $20 bills on it, so I *knew* it existed) she did try to give me a <little> more of an explanation saying maybe it's a thing about it looking too much like real money, but she seemed to think that because they didn't carry it, it couldn't exist.

Needless to say, I think we used the bathroom there (my son is potty training, so we use the bathroom everywhere!) and quickly checked out the clearance section, and that was it!

Wow! I really didn't mean to go on a rant like that, sorry! I guess I've been holding it in and it was nice to see some others who shared my not-so-great experience with Archiver's. :rolleyes:

And you are just dangerous!! :twisted: I've already checked out the website and I will probably be placing an order soon!! :mrgreen:
Just watch your credit card statements if you order there. They billed my order twice, one on the credit card for Scrapbooking alley and one for photo alley, which is their company also. They actually had different totals on the charges, too. I was able to get it corrected.

My Pinkie is Inkie Blog

I design for Blue Knight Rubber Stamps.
F4A Hostess
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 04:19 AM   #37  
Inking Addict

I think we can all name stores(be it crafting, clothing, grocery, etc...) that disappoint us. I've been to Archiver's all over Georgia, Wisconsin, Indiana,and many more. They are all different. I've never been treated badly at any of them but I do know what it's like to be treated bad in a store. I'm sorry that happened. Maybe give them another try and ask for a phone number to really talk to upper management. I would hate for bad press on a few to cause a boycott that would put them out of business. We need all the contraband enablers we can find .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 04:52 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

I'll give a plug for Appleton WI's Archiver's.....the girls are friendly *even* when I had returns.

I especially like the clearance and hot spot areas....who doesn't love a deal?!

I have been disappointed with lack of Tim Holz stuff and the fact that they only carry parts of some collections...but that just gives me an excuse to run to the nearby M, J or lss. Each has their place....and I'm glad to support them all.

Bummer you got a grump...maybe she was just having a bad day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 06:54 AM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

I was just at the Mason, Ohio store over the weekend and as usual received excellent service! I have never had a bad experience at this one. I know every store is different due to the employees, so I would lodge a complaint to the corporate office.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 12:33 PM   #40  
Glitter Queen

Yeah, my Archiver's is hit and miss. Some of the employees are really nice and others are absolutely horrid.
For example, one lady always tells me something 'doesn't exist' and then I'll pull out my phone, do a google search and show someone else a picture of the paper and magically it appears on an endcap.
This woman was the only person available when a friend and I went a week or so ago. We asked about star stickers and the woman's eyes glazed over like we'd asked her to name, in alphabetical order, every company that's ever made scrapbooking products. My friend ended up finding about 6 other kinds of star stickers, so we were okay. Maybe I have to go on another day or something.

Another lady had NO idea what Kraft cardstock was. And she argued that there wasn't a company by that name (so I explained what it was and she told me they didn't sell the bottom sheets of paper packs?!?).

Unfortunately some people are only in it for the discount.

Contact corporate with as much information as possible. I'm really sorry it happened to you, but hopefully it will stop happening to anyone in that store.

:-)
Reply With Quote Likes