View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 07:52 AM   #2114
SammyStamper
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshHen View Post
Grits are a staple here at our house. I make cheese grits w/and w/o bacon for my grandboys when they are here and they love them. They are not big cheese eaters, so it's a great way to sneak cheese into their diets. LOL, I don't mention that there is cheese in them and it's all good. Here's a tip. If you don't want or have the time to fry bacon, just add some of the real bacon bits (the soft ones from the pack) into your grits. We love fried grits and tomato gravy for lunch or supper, and fried shrimp, fish or oysters just scream out for a hot bowl of buttered grits and some hush puppies. When my kids were little, they mixed peanut butter in their grits, LOL.
I always joke with a coworker that I should have been born in the south. I love the food! Thanks for the bacon bit suggestion, might have to try that soon as I buy the big bag from Costco. I'm not a huge rice fan so this was a nice find to add a little carbo to dinner.

My next adventure is polenta. I bought the pre-cooked in a tube and I'm not sure what DH will say about that one!