Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-09-2009, 04:05 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I miss the days...

Don't flame me, I am not trying to start something. I just miss the days when I would open up splitcoaststampers and everything in the general stamping talk was techniques, cool ideas and inspiration. It just feels like there are so many threads that either don't pertain to stamping or are ads for stuff. I find myself scrolling down the threads missing the good ol days.

Jennifer
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 04:26 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I know what you mean. I miss the days when blogs were about whatever great supplies someone had in their stash. Remember when bloggers used stamps from a variety of companies? I loved seeing how people were creative with mixing and matching. I don't mean to offend anyone and I understand design teams, and it's their blog so really they can do whatever they want - but to me some of the blogs that I used to love are now just like watching advertisements. Don't they ever make a card just for the fun of it using oldie but goodies? Share those with us! I love it when someone posts something using a stamp that I already have in my stash. Not trying to sidetrack. I think the same concept of pushing whatever is new and ignoring the old is going on in both places.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 04:34 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

I never knew it like that, so I'm okay with things as they are.

However, I intensely disliked the Member Company thread in here. I love our member companies and order from some of them quite often. However I was thrilled to see the "opt-out" function and quickly did just that. I visit the member company forums when I want to get the scoop on their products exclusively. Thanks SCS for that option!!! Saved my sanity.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 04:47 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know ... our little town has grown up to be a big metropolis ... has it's advantages, but disadvantages, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 04:52 AM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan_TView Post
I know what you mean. I miss the days when blogs were about whatever great supplies someone had in their stash. Remember when bloggers used stamps from a variety of companies? I loved seeing how people were creative with mixing and matching. I don't mean to offend anyone and I understand design teams, and it's their blog so really they can do whatever they want - but to me some of the blogs that I used to love are now just like watching advertisements. Don't they ever make a card just for the fun of it using oldie but goodies? Share those with us! I love it when someone posts something using a stamp that I already have in my stash. Not trying to sidetrack. I think the same concept of pushing whatever is new and ignoring the old is going on in both places.
I know what you're saying, and that's why I tend not to read the text on blogs that do that...I just look at the pictures.

That's what's great about blogs: people can do whatever they want. And I can take what's useful to me and ignore the rest, just like I do when reading magazines. If even the pictures cease to be useful, I delete the blog from my Google reader. I'm always irrationally sad when I do this, because I add blogs I loved in the first place. I feel like I'm breaking up with a friend who has grown away from me. :( But things change, and sometimes I like the change, sometimes not.

As for SCS, if you want to see more "old-time stamping" threads, why not start some of your own? That's what I do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 04:57 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

That's what's great about blogs: people can do whatever they want. And I can take what's useful to me and ignore the rest, just like I do when reading magazines. If even the pictures cease to be useful, I delete the blog from my Google reader. I'm always irrationally sad when I do this, because I add blogs I loved in the first place. I feel like I'm breaking up with a friend who has grown away from me. : But things change, and sometimes I like the change, sometimes not.

That's what I do. Also, if blog doesn't change in a week or so, I delete it. There are lot of stampers out there who take the time and effort to change their blog every day or so and I really enjoy looking at those.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 05:51 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post
I never knew it like that, so I'm okay with things as they are.

However, I intensely disliked the Member Company thread in here. I love our member companies and order from some of them quite often. However I was thrilled to see the "opt-out" function and quickly did just that. I visit the member company forums when I want to get the scoop on their products exclusively. Thanks SCS for that option!!! Saved my sanity.
Where is that at?!? I wnat to opt out because I too dislike the member threads on the General Stamping Forum.

"Kindness is something the the blind can see and the deaf can hear" -unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 06:22 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

subscribing..I hear y'all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 06:32 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by tay0479View Post
Where is that at?!? I wnat to opt out because I too dislike the member threads on the General Stamping Forum.
If you go to the sticky at the top of the page regarding Member company ads, there are directions to opt out. I can't remember what they are but it's somewhere in your profile, I think.

Okay, I did a cut and paste for ya...

May 26, 2009
As promised some time ago, we're now giving you the ability to opt-out of seeing member company threads inside of General Stamping. Follow these instructions to opt out:
- look for your user name at the top of this page (you'll need to be logged in).
- your user name is a link. click it and you'll be taken to a new page - your Control Panel.
- look down the left side for a link to Edit Options.
- within the Edit Options area, scroll to the bottom and look for Member Company Global Threads.
- turn the Member Company feeds on or off, then click Save Changes.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 06:50 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

If you go to the sticky at the top of the page regarding Member company ads, there are directions to opt out. I can't remember what they are but it's somewhere in your profile, I think.

May 26, 2009
As promised some time ago, we're now giving you the ability to opt-out of seeing member company threads inside of General Stamping. Follow these instructions to opt out:
- look for your user name at the top of this page (you'll need to be logged in).
- your user name is a link. click it and you'll be taken to a new page - your Control Panel.
- within the Edit Options area, scroll to the bottom and look for Member Company Global Threads.
THANK YOU for these directions!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 06:58 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess (Retired)

Received 80 Likes on 43 Posts

Not sure if this was already pointed out.... there is another forum for stamping product discussions.
Limited Supplies, Featured Stamper, Clean & Simple
FS143 / QFTD93 
Past Design Teams: DRS Designs, Rubbernecker  
Past Guest Designer: Gina K Designs 
CAS. Embellished. It's all good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 07:21 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

May 26, 2009
Thank you! I didn't know about that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 07:35 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

May 26, 2009
THANK YOU for this info. I rarely come to General Stamping anymore because of all the member co. posts. I guess I should read the homepage more often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 07:40 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've been thinking lately that General Stamping has changed a bit, too. And realizing that some of the ol' familiar faces I used to see posting a lot are missing.

On the other hand, not be interested in threads may be a good thing for me ~ less time on SCS.

The Tools & Products forum may have more of the kinds of threads the OP was mentioning, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 08:48 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan_TView Post
I know for me - this past year has been a blurrrr. My son finished up his senior year in High School. Which meant searching for a college and all that goes into that. All the end of the year programs and awards along with each sports team celebrating Seniors at the end of the seasons. I had little time to stamp and post to my blog. I usually just had time to get up the latest specials and promotions. So I am guilty as charged! I admit it.

Not that graduation has passed we are getting ready for his first semester in college. I guess since he is my first to go away I am new at all this. It has been a long time since my college days. Back before personal computers were even invented!!!! YIKES am I that old.

Well I am here to say - I am sorry for the lack of creativity on my blog. I don't even like that. But it is not by choice. I will be making a real effort to post more samples and fun creative stuff.

I have made improvements with my newsletter and will even be sending one out that is mainly samples. Along with adding more samples and creative information to my main newsletter.
Good thread - thanks.

My Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 09:54 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

May 26, 2009

Thanks alot.

"Kindness is something the the blind can see and the deaf can hear" -unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 10:15 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says-oh crap, she's up

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastmommieView Post
THANK YOU for these directions!!!!
I didn'tknow that option was available either and holy cow I opted out of that amazingly fast! Those are so annoying!

are you a bereaved parent too? http://www.thecompassionatefriends.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 10:38 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

"Well I am here to say - I am sorry for the lack of creativity on my blog. I don't even like that. But it is not by choice. I will be making a real effort to post more samples and fun creative stuff."

Oh no! I didn't mean to imply that people weren't being creative. I was just talking about only using new supplies from one company. I love seeing what's new, and the cards are pretty with the new stamps, but I like to see the older supplies used too and not always the same company. I totally understand about being busy interfering with creativity. My son just finished his first year at college and I know just what you're going through. Enjoy your summer together and I know you are all excited about college. I had mixed emotions about my son leaving - excited for him and sad for me-but the first year flew by at warp speed and I've got him home again for summer. Don't apologize for not posting more often. I think it's great that your family comes first!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 10:45 AM   #19  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttons2View Post

That's what I do. Also, if blog doesn't change in a week or so, I delete it. There are lot of stampers out there who take the time and effort to change their blog every day or so and I really enjoy looking at those.

Wanda
Wow. Tough crowd.

This is my opinion on the thread in general. There's no free lunch, but SCS is pretty darn close. We get more inspiration than you can possibly ever absorb, tons of forums with useful information, friends, fun...all for the price of a couple of little ads and the presence of Member Companies. It's a pretty good bargain if you ask me.

As for blogs, they're a huge time commitment. If being on DTs and posting a few links here or there earns the blog owners some freebies, more power to them! They get something for their trouble and it's still free entertainment for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 10:55 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttons2View Post

Wanda
Guess that's why there's never much traffic at my blog -- I admire those stampers who have 6-10 new projects posted every week, but I'm just not there yet. So often life seems to get in the way of stamp time, or the creativity just isn't there and when I do get something made I don't want to post it because it's outright CASEd or heavily copied.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

I wonder if some of the "original General Stamping" type topics have gone away because we have so many sub-forums for those type things now? The upside to being able to find technique threads all together is that they rarely get posted in the general stamping section, same goes with projects and the like.

The other trend that has come about is blogging. Now days if I see a great project or idea, I am more often than not going to be sent to a blog to get more info. The downside with that is we lose the "chatter" about the project, hints, tricks, and how people are tweaking it and making it their own. Just a few of my thoughts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 11:02 AM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
Guess that's why there's never much traffic at my blog -- I admire those stampers who have 6-10 new projects posted every week, but I'm just not there yet. So often life seems to get in the way of stamp time, or the creativity just isn't there and when I do get something made I don't want to post it because it's outright CASEd or heavily copied.
I don't post a lot on my blog either and that's probably why I don't have much traffic. I don't stamp every day and sometimes I'm downright lazy about posting my cards to my blog (never mind uploading them to my gallery here!).

However, if someone wanted to CASE my work, I would be absolutely thrilled! what is that saying? something about copying being the highest form of flattery? I'm suffering from a "senior moment" <sigh>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2009, 11:09 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

About blogging: I am retired and have no one to take care of but an old husband and an old poodle. I do not have a blog.

I am in awe of all the young mothers with little ones, and some with jobs, too, who manage to make beautiful cards and maintain a blog.

If someone doesn't update their blog for a while, no worries. I always hope all is well with them and they are just busy. I'm delighted there are blogs out there for entertainment and inspiration.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 05:36 AM   #24  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm with you on missing the good old days - I started loosing interest a few months ago because I wanted to read about stamping. Then the member company thing started and I was was getting more frustrated and stopped comming out here as often. I opt'ed out as soon as it became available.

I tried reading blogs and gave up due to the number of ads. I do not have high expecations on how often they need to be updated, I just don't need to see more ads.

I also think the begining of my disappointment was when there is so much repetitive questions. I understand people don't know that they can find threads that explain almost any thing and the search function can be a challenge. But I find that I don't want to read one more explanation about Gamsol/OMS, layers of nessies, how to use prisma pencils, or copics. Once I sort through these threads, there doesn't seem to be too much I want to read.

Maybe I have information overload, getting grouchy or who knows, but I still like comming to SCS compared to the other sites I've visited. I just wish it was mroe about stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 05:57 AM   #25  
Gabfest Goddess

I stopped visiting the General Stamping forum because I hated having to sort through the member company threads to find the real threads. I did the "opt-out" feature a month ago and this forum is SO much nicer to come to now.

I agree that I don't much care for blogs that are only about trying to sell the items they are using so I don't visit those. But there are LOTS of blogs out there that are not like this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 06:01 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Newbie questions are all over, aren't they? I think it's cool that our community is welcoming and doesn't just say "google it" or "you know you can search" (especially since search can be cranky at times!) right off and will take the time to share information. I've visited other communities where the first reply is something along those lines and I find it off-putting!

Have you tried hovering your mouse over the thread titles before clicking? You'll get a quick view of the question, and know right off whether you want to read further or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmesindenView Post
I wonder if some of the "original General Stamping" type topics have gone away because we have so many sub-forums for those type things now? The upside to being able to find technique threads all together is that they rarely get posted in the general stamping section, same goes with projects and the like.

The other trend that has come about is blogging. Now days if I see a great project or idea, I am more often than not going to be sent to a blog to get more info. The downside with that is we lose the "chatter" about the project, hints, tricks, and how people are tweaking it and making it their own. Just a few of my thoughts.
I agree! Sometimes I think that I'd like to see *less* forums here, like going back to how it was loooong time ago, and having General Stamping include Tool & Product Talk and Techniques. I suppose, though, that then we'd hear that there are too many threads about specific tools or techniques in General Stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 07:34 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

If you have been stamping for a long time, you tend to branch out. It is normal, and understandable. I do understand the feeling of dissapointment. There are a lot of blogs that I have favorited. There have been a few that the direction that they have taken is not in my interests, and that is okay. I do tend to check back with them for awhile before I decide to delete it from my list. As far as ones that don't update for awhile, I have a busy life myself so I am not quick to give up on them. But it is important to remember that the longer you so this craft, the more new product, styles and direction will change and you never know when it will change to something that catches your fancy, so I try not to delete from my favotrites list too quickly, but thats just me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 07:53 AM   #28  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
Wow. Tough crowd.

This is my opinion on the thread in general. There's no free lunch, but SCS is pretty darn close. We get more inspiration than you can possibly ever absorb, tons of forums with useful information, friends, fun...all for the price of a couple of little ads and the presence of Member Companies. It's a pretty good bargain if you ask me.

As for blogs, they're a huge time commitment. If being on DTs and posting a few links here or there earns the blog owners some freebies, more power to them! They get something for their trouble and it's still free entertainment for me.
I couldn't agree more. Blogs and SCS have so much FREE inspiration.

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
About blogging: I am retired and have no one to take care of but an old husband and an old poodle. I do not have a blog.

I am in awe of all the young mothers with little ones, and some with jobs, too, who manage to make beautiful cards and maintain a blog.

If someone doesn't update their blog for a while, no worries. I always hope all is well with them and they are just busy. I'm delighted there are blogs out there for entertainment and inspiration.
:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 08:39 AM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks so much for the directions! I am primarily a SU user and the other threads just get in my way.

That being said, Splitcoast is like someone else said--a town turning into a city, and good and bad go together with gowth.

Splitcoast is still my favorite place to roam although I have tried other sites.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbalcerView Post
Newbie questions are all over, aren't they? I think it's cool that our community is welcoming and doesn't just say "google it" or "you know you can search" (especially since search can be cranky at times!) right off and will take the time to share information. I've visited other communities where the first reply is something along those lines and I find it off-putting!

I agree! Sometimes I think that I'd like to see *less* forums here, like going back to how it was loooong time ago, and having General Stamping include Tool & Product Talk and Techniques. I suppose, though, that then we'd hear that there are too many threads about specific tools or techniques in General Stamping!
Jenn, I agree, everyone is so nice here, they'll even do the google search for you!

I wasn't here back in the good ol' days, but I also agree that it would be nice to have more stuff lumped into general stamping, and then maybe have separate forums for the "repetitive" items, like cuttlebug, cricut, nesties, copics, gamsol. I know that, at least to me, the 2,714 posts in the cuttlebug FAQ thread just seem a bit overwhelming to read through. But if we had a cuttlebug forum, we could have separate threads for "just starting out" "how do I use ___ in the bug?" "new cuttlebug products" "new tricks & techniques" etc. Man, am I good at suggesting more work for other people or what? It's a unique talent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 08:44 AM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just had to pop back...

Ahhhhh.... it's fantastic to refresh the GS page and just have chatting threads... sigh...!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 09:07 AM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks so much for the opt-out reminder. I just did it and it's such a relief to come back in and they're gone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 09:26 AM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

I too am so grateful for the opt out information. I don't mind the companies, b/c there is some really good information there, but really like not having to look through pages to get to the other threads.

Now, is there a way to get them off or at least moved to the bottom of the forum home page?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

OH, I forgot! I wanted to put in my 2 cents worth about blogs. I love blogs. I wish I had more time to read them! I just hate it when I see a really great card here on SCS and the ONLY information is "see my blog". HATE IT!!! Plus, we have been asked to fill in the information. I NEVER go to those blogs. I figure if they don't have time to give some general information I don't have time to visit their blog, which really I don't! However if it is a really great card with general information (stamps, colors, papers) and says see blog for additional pictures, info, ect. I think that is great!!!!

Okay, was that worth 2 cents? Don't answer that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 10:03 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiding in My Craft RoomView Post
OH, I forgot! I wanted to put in my 2 cents worth about blogs. I love blogs. I wish I had more time to read them! I just hate it when I see a really great card here on SCS and the ONLY information is "see my blog". HATE IT!!! Plus, we have been asked to fill in the information. I NEVER go to those blogs. I figure if they don't have time to give some general information I don't have time to visit their blog, which really I don't! However if it is a really great card with general information (stamps, colors, papers) and says see blog for additional pictures, info, ect. I think that is great!!!!

I feel the same way! I also am one of the guilty ones that don't leave comments on cards without any info. Yes it takes time to fill it in, but it is so nice for our fellow SCSers.
I only visit 2 blogs every now and then. 98% of my computer time is spent learning and reading here on SCS!

I love having the opt out option for the member companies. I hated sorting through them also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 10:47 AM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

I've loved SCS since I discovered it and I've actually enjoyed its evolution. Just as I've evolved as a stamper, SCS has grown and branched out too. I've learned and discovered so much here and enjoy the variety in the threads.

Regarding blogs, there are some that I check faithfully but I don't have an unlimited amount of time to browse. I particularly enjoy the ones that offer tutorials or directions and appreciate them being updated a few times a week. I don't mind blogs devoted to particular companies. In fact, my fave blogs are the owners and design team members for Flourishes and Papertrey Ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 10:54 AM   #37  
Mad Swapper

[QUOTE=jbalcer;14599750]Newbie questions are all over, aren't they? I think it's cool that our community is welcoming and doesn't just say "google it" or "you know you can search" (especially since search can be cranky at times!) right off and will take the time to share information. I've visited other communities where the first reply is something along those lines and I find it off-putting!

I have been stamping for a couple of years now, but several times when I have read some of the questions posted by newer people, I have learned something in the answers! More than once, I have been reading a thread about something I own and not known it was a versatile as it is. Two things that come to mind are chalks and Versa-Mark.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #38  
Watercolor Wizard

My biggest problem with this forum is the number of threads that are started just to complain about something. I don't mind people chatting about likes and dislikes, it just seems like there is much more negativity than there used to be. I come here to be inspired, chat with other obsessed stampers, occasionally have a good laugh...it's been hard to find that here sometimes.

I design for Wee Memories Scrappy Saturday Challenge
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 11:08 AM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiding in My Craft RoomView Post

I'd send you a nickel, but it would cost me 44 cents to do it.... :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 11:10 AM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

What other good stamping forums are out there ? All I know about are SCS and Rubberstampchat. Rubberstampchat seems very empty and desserted compared to SCS.

As for blogs, I have subscribed to about 20 of them. I catch a highlight on my Google homepage and if it interests me then I read the whole thing. There is only on blog that I wait and watch for and that's the one by Michelle Zindorf.

Oh yea - I totally despise the member company threads in General Stamping. I do however like the stamping banner ads at the top of the pages. The only time I have a problem with those are when they are politically oriented.
Reply With Quote Likes