View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 09:23 AM   #109
terriboo
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelinYTH View Post
Apparently if your items ship USPS, you shouldn't be charged anything else. USPS.
Many people think this, but it's unfortunately not true (been eBaying for over 10 years so I have a lot of experience over the years as both buyer and seller).

USPS gets packages to the border and then its up to Canada Post what gets stopped or not.....

Unless a company pays brokerage fees ahead of time (like SU does with UPS) everything is up for grabs when it crosses the border. Canada Post can only stop a small portion of items flowing into Canada, so they usually target only higher end items and bigger packages especially. Depending on the entry point into Canada, some are more strict than others.

debzi333 above stated that she does not often get packages stopped but for me here, its almost 50% of packages...

Of course, items marked "gift" and under 50$ never usually get stopped...

Stuff marked 50$+ value get more scrutiny even if marked gift.....

I too will never buy from sellers shipping UPS into Canada as their "handling fees" are way higher than Canada Post

You can get lucky at times....I bought 100$ US worth of Copics from merriartist who ships to Canada only via USPS Priority ($19 envelope) and was expecting to have to pay and in 5 days it arrived straight into my mailbox...so we can get lucky at times......

I think its good to expect to pay taxes and get a nice surprise when we don't have too

Terri
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!