View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 06:07 PM   #93
ColtsGoalieMom
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by felis44 View Post
Hi Terri,

Just a little comment about the duties... I've been told PTI's stamps and paper are made in the US. In that case you shouldn't get charged duty... I *think*... just PST/GST. I would put in special instructions to have PTI clearly mark on the package that the goods are made in the US. I have yet to order (cuz of shipping!!) so I haven't verified this. Anyone?

nina
Checked into it and if an item is made in the U.S. there is no duty payable - but there is the $5.00 Handling Fee plus gst on the Canadian value of the item.

"The Canadian prices are based not only on the exchange rate including Revenue Canada corporate income taxes, pricing and cost structure regulations etc., etc., that are considered in pricing."

Not defending SU - but because they have a "presence" in Canada (Cochrane, AB I think) they do have to pay Canadian Income Tax which we all know is much higher than US Income Taxes - so that might account for a SLIGHTLY higher price.

If prices in the Canadian Stampin' Up catalogue were listed in US Funds then they couldn't hide behind the currency exchange rates and use that as an excuse. But then that could be a hassle for Canadian Demos having earned US Funds. Really I'm not defending SU.

All I know is that there is a great company in the States that I order from (not stamping/craft related) which offers great deals on shipping and charges an extra $2.00 per order (not per item) to cover Brokerage Fees and the items are delivered by UPS, yes by UPS. How many of us have been gouged by UPS and their brokerage fees? And all it costs is $2.00 at the time of ordering!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!