Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-24-2004, 05:31 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? for non-demos

I think we demos can learn a lot about our cutsomers on this site! As a demo, I try to always "add value" and "differentiate myself" in a few key ways (for example, providing tip sheets, teaching classes, etc.)

I'd like to hear what the non-demos see as "adding value"? What do you like about how your demo differentiates herself?

What are you frustrated with?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 05:35 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Great Topic Chris!!!!
Let's hear what nondemos have to say!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 05:52 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Great idea! I'll start. I've been to shows led by several different demonstrators and here are some things I like:

if you have a newbie I think it is VERY important to cut and mount a stamp with them. If not, yikes! you've probably seen the results.

One demonstrator I know has a list of "classes" that she gives to a hostess and she can choose what type of show she wants. The list has a variety of techniques and styles of projects. It's fun to be able to have some say in what kind of show--ex. I'm not a scrapbooker, I would much prefer to make a card and gift box instead of scrapbook page.

I had a "stamp lady" (as we call them) who I loved because she was so generous. We always got goodies when we went to her shows (post-it note covers or cello-bags of candy) in addition to door prizes (and she gave bunches of those). She was also not stingy with idea sheets. I got and idea sheet with every order I placed (not just if I got the matching stamp set).

Most of you probably do this but I know several who will give 2 new stamp pads (or products of similar value) to hostesses who already have a catalog. I will ALWAYS buy the catalog so this is a great incentive for someone like me.

And please, please, please, use Stampin up cardstock. I've seen some who don't but wow--what a difference. And have opportunities for stampers to play with different tools and supplies (eyelets, chalks, markers, etc, etc.). It helps us want them!!

Wow! that's a novel. But what a good question. I'm sure I have other ideas. If I think of them, I'll let you know. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 06:07 AM   #4  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the customer viewpoint response.
I did have a question-the "stamp lady" that gave "goodies when we went to her shows (post-it note covers or cello-bags of candy) in addition to door prizes (and she gave bunches of those)." Did you also do just one make and take, or multiple?

My customers all leave with 3 projects they create (which the hostess has say in), but I was wondering if people give out pre-made goodies IN ADDITION to multiple make and takes?

I had only gone to 2 true workshops when I signed up, so I was wondering what others did.

Great question, and thanks for answering!!! :lol:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 06:14 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

We would usually do one or two, not three make and takes. But it was always fun to get an extra goody!

Three projects--wow! how fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 06:16 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I would love a monthly workshop just to work on stamping with a new stamping technique taught. Since I have a 21 month old son, it's really hard to work on stamping while he is awake. When he is sleeping, I take a shower and clean...etc. So if I had somewhere to go one evening a month for 3 hours, I would LOVE it!. I would probably buy more too! ;)

I also love "goodies." As a CMC, I am always "giving away the farm" as my upline puts it. I am not in any way saying that anyone else should do that, but maybe a little something with purchase.

I am sure there are lots of demos that does these two things, but that's what I love!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 06:18 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh this is a good question but tough too!
Of course first and most important is to offer great customer service.
What some see as customer service is 'freebies" and others see the desire to really make a difference and to stand out - offering help, being sincere, taking time, going the extra mile to make sure customers get orders quickly and they are complete.
Freebies - well I asked a question earlier in the week about loyalty programs. I am not one that wants too much cuz I am a former CMC and I know that profits are slim so I think things like cute little cards saying thanks for the order (my demo gave a cute card attached to my favorite peanut butter cup!) Loved that one. It was not much but great for me! My hostess even attached a thank you card and I thought that was above and beyond. (and way cute Little things like the idea sheets are cool to get. Once ordered from a demo out of state and she mailed the thank you card and idea sheet.
I like the idea of a customer loyalty program as well. After x$ in purchases they get a % off the next order or a free pkg of paper or stamp pad. Just a little something extra to look forward to.
Lastly - workshops - I dont think that there should be a huge profit made on these but some of course. Another words - I will pay $10 to make 6 or 7 cards but I will not pay $15-20 to make the same 6 or 7 cards. The ideas are great but I have not gone before thinking that I could make 6 or 7 cards at home with what I already have and not have to spend the extra $. So try to keep the price reasonable for your workshops.
Well that is my 2cents worth!
Hope something helps
Shelley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 06:37 AM   #8  
Inking Addict

I think my demo is great. I think one of the most important things is keeping your customers informed. Let them know when there are specials, new products, events (classes, workshops, etc.).

One thing we do that is really great is a group of 5 of us (we call ourselves the Stampin Half because there were originally 10 of us but we split into 2 groups) get together every second month and she comes and teaches us a technique that we haven't seen or demos ways to use a certain tool (brayer, tags, etc.). We all have promised to spend a minimum amount when we get together and that way we get to see some more "advanced" techniques than a normal demonstration would have and she gets guaranteed sales.

Another great thing we do is the 3 make and take demos. When we have a "normal" demo where other people out side of our Stampin Half come, we usually make and take 2 cards and an "other" project. It might be a bagalope or a box or a book mark, etc. It really gives newbies, and not-so newbies, some ideas of other things to do with the stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 06:37 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Great topic! Thank you Chris. Please keep the responses coming everyone. I am a fairly new demo and am always looking for tips on how to better serve our customers. Gina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 06:51 AM   #10  
Glitter Queen

Me and my demo were talking yesterday about how she and her upline do things differently. Her upline seems to think that you DO NOT give away the inspirational sheets, but merely let the newbies look at them. I totally do not agree with that and neither does she. I think the more you give for free, in the long run is more in return you will receive. SO...dont be stingy. There is my two cents!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 07:23 AM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

Hey Cookielou, you can come to Spokane and join our group. We get together once a month for a HOM. We work on at least two projects and sometimes three if time allows. There are ten of us now and each month someone gets a turn at being the hostess, so for them they receive a hostess gift, plus whatever you can get due to the sales. We have a lot of fun and our demo gives out little stamps for every $25.00 we purchase, plus if we bring a new person to join our group she gives us a $10.00 gift certificate toward future purchases. I know you are in So. Cal, but Spokane isn't that far.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 07:31 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

I am not a demonstrator but I know about 7 local demonstrators here and I go to all their stamp camps! Here are some of the things I like:

Stamp camps that do scrapbook pages only - this is great for those of us who want to get some pages done and don't have the creativity! I have gone to these (pd $12-15) and came home with 3 2-page layouts. (12 x12) I later add my pictures to them when I find ones that go well.

Stamp camps that make multiple cards of the same style. I hate to give away cards - always like to keep at least one for me! Some of the camps will do 2 of each design. I have even been to one that made 4 of 5 designs. I think it was something like 20 cards for $20.

As far as incentives, most of the stamp camps I go to give away door prizes. You get tickets for bringing a dish to share, being on time, purchasing a certain amount. The tickets are thrown into the hat and nice prizes are given away.

Another nice thing is to have a swap at your stamp camps. People post their card and everyone votes for the best one. That person gets a prize.

I am an addict when it comes to stamp camps - I can't get enough of them!

Kris Cobleigh
SU Organizational Tools
www.getorganized.homestead.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 07:32 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a wonderful demo, and have been with her for almost five years! She has a workshop/class every month at her home that we attend for $12...we make three cards or crafts to take home. Each month has a theme...versamark, Christmas, pearl ex...etc. So we learn new techniques each time we come. She uses just SU products, and when we place an order she gives us a free inspiration sheet.

Sometimes she has a promotion that if we place a $50 order, she places our name on a wheel or in the basket, and once the wheel is full she spins it to see who wins the prize...which is usually a package of cardstock, small stamp set, and ink pad. It is a nice touch.

I think she is so successful because she is such a nice person, is not pushy, and is very creative. She has a great positive attitude about SU and that makes you want to buy more product and strive to be more creative yourself.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 07:42 AM   #14  

Although, I am now a demo, I really liked what my demo did for me. I was pretty new to stamping, and not really familiar with any of SU promotions and all, And my mom and I placed a large order, about $385 or so. She bumped up my order to $400 with a few free gifts, reinkers etc... so I got the hostess appreciation set. Little things, like that. And she was really generous with her time too. If I had a question about a technique I would e-mail her and always get a quick response.

Other demos that I have seen, seemed ( I hate to use the word stingy, but I can't think of a better one) never any little free things, no discounts, or free shipping. I realize that this is a business and you're in it to make money ( well, some are) but the demos that I went back to were ones who went that extra step. And I agree, it doesn't always have to be free product, etc... just a small token that shows that you as a customer is appreciated.

I hope that I can be that kind of demo.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 07:55 AM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

My demo lives quite far away from me (there is no one here that sells it), but she's been phenomenal about sending me emails which will include technique documents (the first one she sent was smackin' acetate, which included pics too), or links to other sites with techniques. She periodically offers specials (last one was for every 3 retiring sets you ordered you got a free classic pad of your choice; on her 1 yr. anniversary with SU it was a free ink cartridge for every $50 spent...). She's great, and is very helpful. Her focus is more scrapbooking, but I am one who loves the "instant gratification" of card making a lot more than SB'ing.

Since I can't attend a stamp camp (what is that, anyhow??) or the Stamper's 10 groups, I just try to suck up as much knowledge as I can via the internet. Let me tell you, thank god for Beate's tutorials, or I'd still be stampin' on plain white paper!! LOL

If I were able to attend these functions, I'd certainly love the opportunity to learn techniques first hand, rather than through photos or trial and error!!

Just my .02�, folks!

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 08:10 AM   #16  
Glitter Guru

another non-demo here...

I love my demo - we were friends before she became a demo and I went to a stampin party at her house when she was first starting out and I was hooked from day one....

She is very easy going and will help you out - one of my favorite things is she has an Open House Stampin Night once a month - a chance for you to come to her house and stamp your little heart away - FREE - there is a small fee for using things like ribbon, embossing powder, stamp pads or whole sheets of paper but if you bring your own stuff it is a great way to get out of the house for a few hours to stamp - plus you have access to all her stamps to use if you want and she has a big pile of scraps that you can dig thru and use, perfect if you just need a little bit of this color or that color and don't want to cut a big sheet of paper for a square or 2. She participates in swaps with other demos and has a big board with a lot of them posted there so we can gleen ideas and sometimes CASE.

She also has Stamp Camps - she holds Stamp Camps for kids and ones for adults - usually about $10-20 depending on what it is and what they are going to be demoing. I haven't been to one yet because of scheduale conflicts but I have had friends that have gone and they loved it.

Right now she is having a card swap among her customers and we are gearing up for a Stampin' club for the next 6 months (oh the idea that I HAVE to buy things every month is delicious)

One of the best things you can do for a customer is let them know you appreciate thier business - I know profit margins are slim but giving a little extra goodie here and there is always a nice surprise - I am not talking big things but something like - 5 round gift tags or a few bookmarks. My demo has let me know that she appreciates not only my business but also the fact that I have brought in a few new customers and has given me a few things here and there - very nice of her. (and I am not just saying that because she reads this forum I got an inspiration sheet for Tags and more even though I didn't have the set (to use as a guide for card design with other stamps) and after looking at that sheet over and over again I just HAD to have the Tags and More set....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 08:19 AM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Oh another thing that I think Dawn (?) mentioned - when I had my first party I was soooooo close to $400 she ended up buying a few small things herself to bring me to that $400 point so I could get the Hostess Appreciation set....I spent over $100 myself and just could not spend any more...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 08:58 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Thoughts from another non-demo.

I really like my demo. She is very much into SU. She has a stamp camp once a month & we do 3 items for $10. Usually the items go with what's going on for that time of the year. Occationally she will also have special camps where we make 20 cards for $20 and includes envelopes.

Usually every month or so she will offer some sort of special. Maybe free shipping, free stamp pad, etc. in addition to any specials SU may already have. Anyone who hosts a party gets a free goodie from her and you get a free stamp pad for every person attending that books a party with her. She also always gives away a couple of attendance prizes.

In addition to all the camps, specials and free goodies, I think my demo has a great personality for being a SU demo. She is a very friendly, funny, and usually willing to go the extra mile for you. During her camps she always goes around helping anyone in need and if nobody needs help she still walks around stopping to chat a bit.

Now for a couple of things I don't like. :( I went to another demo's stamp camps and didn't care for it because even though she gave out instructions on how to make the projects, she did her own personal stamping while I did the projects. She didn't walk around to talk to anyone & she only asked one time if anyone needed help. For the demo I go to now, sometimes the $10 for the stamp camps is a little high for the 3 items as there have been times when the projects were fairly simple and to me not worth the $10. Since I don't know ahead of time what she is planning to do it's a hit or miss kinda thing.

Sorry so long but hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 09:04 AM   #19  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks so much for all of these great tips! Keep them coming!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 09:16 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Default ? for non demos

I love the friend that showed me how to stamp. She is very very patient and very understanding. She not only listens but talks to you face to face not general direction. She does not get frustrated at the same old questions. She is there if I need her on the phone or by e-mail.

You see she is not only a demonstator but my friend. That is how it gets to be when you have one you can count on. She does the free stuff, the extra stamps if you purchase so much, the stamp camps, 20 card event with food and door prizes, the classes with different techniques, same type cards example birthday cards, idea sheets to share and take home, when I am unable to attend to the stamp club she sends me items already made up that they did at their gathering,gifts for new ideas, newsletters that have some of our personal favorite recipes, patterns and the list goes on. Oh love the one that if it is snowing and you place an order free shipping. I really get into that. Just a fun thing to do.

What makes a demo success is how she treats each of us. Like we are important and a friend and that no question, even the same one over and over again, is not foolish. She is patient and kind, loving and understanding. Ahhhh it is only stamping but what a way to enjoy life and get that stress out. She laughs and jokes and makes those smiles come when life is rough.

Now that is my demo friend for over 7 years. That is why by end of July will become a demo myself. Life is about fun and getting the most out of each day. Being retired gives me the freedom to play whenever with the stamps. I like to share and teach and well that is how I feel about the question :oops: Sorry if I go on and on. grammie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 09:28 AM   #21  
LLM
Embossing Fanatic

My SU demonstrator does monthly 10-10-10 sessions. We pay $10, we make 10 cards and each card takes approximately 10 minutes to create. The cards are 10 different designs, so the amount of ideas we take home are phenominal! She brings all of the supplies, with each card's supplies neatly packed into a plastic shoebox. We then rotate the boxes around the table, create, laugh, eat and have a great time!! And of course, our demo always gets to take home SU orders, because we can't see her without having to buy "just one little thing" (or 2, or 3, o4 4 littles things!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 09:45 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

This is a great thread!! I'm actually considering becoming a hobby demo, but I'm keeping all these great tips in mind in case I want to sell SU to more people than just myself!

Here's a couple of things that my SU demo has done that were really helpful. When I placed my very first (and large!) order with her, I asked for advice and she was really helpful. She told me what I had on my list that she didn't think I needed, and she steered me to things that I found very helpful and versatile later on when I got more educated about stamping.

One thing she did that was really helpful was to tell me what colors go well together for two-step stamping. I was buying Terrific Tulips and she gave me several color combos that I might not have come up with on my own. Like Rose Romance and Rose Red, and a couple of the purples (can't remember which ones - Orchid, Lavender Lace, Lovely Lilac - two of those). And she highly recommended Old Olive and Mellow Moss, which are both awesome for flower stems.

To the demos, I just wanted to tell you that I always want to buy the stamps that we use at the workshop. So use a great set that's versatile - like Terrific Tulips, Love Without End, Watercolor Garden, etc. That might be rather obvious, but something that really sold me on particular sets. Also, make sure to show different ways the set can be used.

My demo has monthly workshops - she charges $15 and we make 6 projects. At least one of these is not a card - we've stamped votive candle holders and th wine glass shades. She's really helpful aqnd I always end up ordering!!

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 10:41 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

After my demo moved to CA I had to locate another demo so my daughter and I could attend Stamp Camps! We are both hooked on Stampin'Up! and it's something fun we like to do together.

Last edited by stampindays; 02-17-2006 at 04:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 10:47 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

Stampindays,

I was surprised at how your demo treats you (or doesn't treat you!) and your daughter when you come to her stamp camps! My demo always shows us ahead of time what the projects are - she has 3 "stations" with 2 or 3 projects each. She does them all and we watch. Then we all start wherever we want. She is always available to help!!

I would be very annoyed if I placed an order and had no idea when I would receive the items! My demo is very good about that - she tells me when she'll place an order, then emails me to tell me the day that UPS will deliver it to her house. Then she's ringing my doorbell within the next few hours! Great customer service! She's not at all a pushy seller - she doesn't even ask you if you want to buy something! She's mostly a hobby demo who runs the stamp camps. She does have people order from her, to be sure!

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 10:56 AM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

Stampindays, I am so sorry you have ended up with such a crappy demo. I make an effort to greet eveyone who walks in the door. Not an easy thing for me as I am usually a bit shy at first. I would make an effort to find a different demo if possible. No one should continue to support a demo like that.

I am really enjoying all these posts. It is good to see what others think. I was a customer once too but I had a great demo. Now my upline. I want to make everyone's experience a good one without going into the red. I do that well enough on my own thank you! lol I hope to have a Open House for the new catty and I have already begun working on that.

Thanks to all the non demos who are taking time to help those of us who are demo out. It is always good to get feedback from you.
Member #3785
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 11:15 AM   #26  
Crimping Master

I was really shy about meeting people too, but then I decided to start an early bird drawing (I'm trying to get my workshops to start more on time). So I'm up and greeting people and giving them their ticket when they first get there... :-)

I'm loving all the input too!

Stampin' Up! demonstrator with a website!

What Can Lightbulb Do For You?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 11:17 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

My demonstrator does these things: gives away idea sheets for free, always brings materials for at least 2 make-n-takes, consults her hostesses regarding what kind of make-n-takes they want at their gathering, demonstrates very unique and out of the box ideas, uses a very low-key approach to selling, offers several very affordable stamp camps throughout the year (includes a light meal and make-n-takes for at least 5-6 projects for $10), and--she pays sales tax and shipping for anyone placing an order who has previously been a hostess!! She is awesome!

Amy J. in Wisconsin[/list]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 11:18 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Sandy,

You are so sweet! I wish Spokane wasn't that far because that is exactly what I am looking for! I think I convinced my Mom that she needs to be a demonstrator, so I am hoping we can have something like that with a couple other ladies! I bet you have lots of fun when you get together!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 11:42 AM   #29  
Compulsive Stamper

Default what we want, what we get

I have a great demo who's also become a great friend - what has she done that made the difference between being a stamp collector and a stampaholic?

1) Stamp camps - keeps me learning new techniques, keeps me challenged and interested in new products - I never would have bought eyelets before!
2) the formation of stampers groups that get together monthly and teach each other techniques (and eat and socialize). Gets me stamping, keeps me connected and having fun.
3) Goodies - she has a couple raffles at get togethers, small stuff, but always fun to win something.
4) Shares websites like this one to keep me inspired!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 02:55 PM   #30  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Hey Cookielou! Where are you at? I'm in Corona and I schedule one day a month to have stamping at my house. Most (99%) of my customers are in Orange County, so they don't come, but I have a wonderfully clean house once a month! :lol:

Sometimes I do classes (like Birthday Card Stamp-A-Stacks) other times it's just open to come and work on your projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 03:52 PM   #31  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I wish I had a demo that did stamp camps. My demo also teaches school (elementary art) so she is very busy, then in summer she teaches summer school most of it so no time for something fun like stamp camps. I also have a demo that lives in Illinois too, that treats me very well when I order from her. If I refer a friend I get a free ink pad, and she sells me her retired sets fairly reasonable and have even received a couple free sets from her just cause she didn't want them. She is great when I order, she lets me wait till I have the money to pay her, so doesn't expect it right away (had $$ troubles most of beginning of year but is better now) I love her to death because she has been so great to me, actually better than the local demonstrator actually!! I just wish someone had stamp camps closer to me!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 04:37 PM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

Great question! I had one thought on showing the quality of the SU cardstock. A demonstrator I know will bring in some SU cardstock and some non-SU cardstock. You can feel the difference. And then the reinforce it even more, try doing a simple stamping example that would show how SU inks just don't look as good without their matching SU paper. There are some close matches, but there are also some colors that would never match up!

It's always fun to learn new color combinations. I just went to a stamp camp this weekend and used colors I wouldn't have thought of putting together and it was great.

Focusing on technique is key. I can make a great project, but if I don't really understand how we did it I can't use that idea later. I love being talked through new techniques-it always makes me think of other ways I could use that technique on different cards.

Thanks for taking time to ask what we think!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 04:45 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

My demo is so sweet, and she's always very professional. She's totally prepared for all our party workshops, and has a list of everything she's using so she can tell us exactly where to find it in the catalog. She's one of, if not the head demo in our area, so I wouldn't expect anything less!

She always asks us what kind of projects or techniques we'd like to see at our parties, and brings awesome hostess gifts. For every $50 we spend, we get to pick a bigger stamp from her special goodie basket, on top of the regular incentive stamps. If we're really close to the next benchmark for hostess rewards or quarterly appreciation sets, she'll find a way to boost our totals. There's always a door prize drawing at the end of the party. Lately, we've even started inviting her to our pre-party dinner outings, since we usually have the parties at the office after work.

Sometimes she makes special gifts for our little stamping group even if we're not the hostess that night -- folders with the inspiration sheets (she gave me additional ones as they were released), cardstock rings -- and sends us birthday cards. When we went to her open house last summer for the new catalog, we got free ones!

Recently, when I didn't find out that my stamp camp order had arrived till I set up my computer again after returning to Savannah, she offered to mail it to me here and pay for the shipping herself!

I could go on and on about Melissa -- she's such a great demo! I'm always inspired by what she shows us, and get more excited about stamping every time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 05:45 PM   #34  
Hardware Hotshot

Let's see, how do I start this? I don't have ONE demo; I kinda float around. One demo I went to had a workshop/camp for $15 and we made 8 different cards and I mean we hussled to get those done in the time alloted; no freebies, nothing extra.

Then I go to another workshop and she does 3-4 make and take, serves food, no charge and gives us little stamps and little ink spots and doesn't expect a thing (don't know how she stays in business). Guess who I'll buy from when I get ready to order?

Another SU demo I ordered from simply because she was willing to mail me (from WA) a spring mini-catalog for nothing. So-o-o, you can see that a little goes along ways with me.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2004, 06:43 PM   #35  
Compulsive Stamper

What really works for me is to be the hostess of Card Crazy parties. Demos probably know about this. The guests pay a fee to make 10 cards. We touch, feel, make, experiment ask questions. People take away 10 gorgeous cards. They feel proud and show all their friends.

I find the typical demonstrations pretty boring now that I've had the Card Crazy parties. The products sell themselves and people take alot away with them. I dont feel like I'm inviting my guests to a sales pitch. And, it really gets everyone involved instead of just sitting and listening to someone.

What I also find helpful is that my demonstrator (Daisy Sparks) keeps track of all my purchases and can tell me if I already own something!

Alison
Reply With Quote Likes