Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-04-2004, 09:44 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legitimate Work at Home Job????

Other than SU which i do to support my habit, do any of you know of a good, trustworthy work at home company so i can earn more $$$ to get more Stamps????? Help me!!?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2004, 10:33 AM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

If you find one let me know..........

Debbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2004, 10:38 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I've heard of these companies - know reps from a few - but this is by no means an "endorsement" of them. Just thought I'd cover my butt!

Pampered Chef
Discovery Toys
Avon
Mary Kay
Tastefully Simple
Southern Living
Cookie Lee
Party Lite

Also, there's a couple of freelance type websites where you can bid on jobs to do (writing, web design, etc.)....elance.com and guru.com

I also heard Lillian Vernon was starting a home business division.

HTH
Stacey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2004, 10:58 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

my sister sales tastefully simple and makes a killing. she does have some parties about one every week or two and sometimes she has an open house. alot of her sales is just people calling back to reorder items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2004, 11:22 AM   #5  
Inking Addict

There's a fairly new one out there called Bead Retreat. You make beaded bracelets, earrings etc. I don't know that I would make money at this one either since I love jewelry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2004, 12:37 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

In addition to direct sales/home party avenues, you may want to try looking for Home Business Magazine at your local library. The advertisers in the magazine are not only franchisors but companies who rely on homebased workers to either either make products/help with mailings etc. I was amazed at how many companies out there rely on homebased workers!

Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2004, 12:46 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

when i lived in minnesota, i worked for a company called Young Amereica... You were "contracted out" to type in data entry type stuff ..a lot of the mail in rebates that you get go to companys like this....I got paid per peice, and if you have time to sit and do it, it could be profitable, but I had to drive 45 mins one way just to pick up my kit every day, and I would only be able to do an hour or twos worth of work because at the time I had an infant.

Next time you see a "mail in rebate" check to see where it goes, maybe its to a town near you! HTH

Christy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2004, 12:58 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsomniacRed
when i lived in minnesota, i worked for a company called Young Amereica... You were "contracted out" to type in data entry type stuff ..a lot of the mail in rebates that you get go to companys like this....I got paid per peice, and if you have time to sit and do it, it could be profitable, but I had to drive 45 mins one way just to pick up my kit every day, and I would only be able to do an hour or twos worth of work because at the time I had an infant.

Next time you see a "mail in rebate" check to see where it goes, maybe its to a town near you! HTH

Christy

I did the same thing here in Scottsdale, AZ about 6 years ago. Wouldn't you know, I still look at where a rebate comes from! LOL!!!
I stopped doing it because of the drive time also.

Marjori Miller

Come stamp with me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2004, 02:36 PM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

JetBlue Airlines offers positions you can do from home. All you need is access to the internet and a phone. During your working hours they essentially forward calls to your home regarding reservations and customer service issues. You have to be able to schedule time when you're home, but don't have kids interrupting your work. I know people who have done it and have loved it. They felt like they made pretty good money as well.

HTH

Katie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2004, 02:42 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I am an SU hobby demo. and also a Pampered Chef consultant. You definitely can make good money with PC if you are willing to put a little bit of time and effort into it. People cook every day. Kitchen items are a neccesity. And because some of the products are a little more pricey, you make a good commission on them. PC products aren't "consumable" like SU products are, but I find that people are always interested in attending a PC party.

Just my .02. HTH.

-Jessica
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2004, 02:42 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Make sure you check with your local Better Business Bureau before taking the first step into one of these businesses that offer money from home. You probably notice adds in your local paper every week. Any I have called on are not legit. I have heard of some people who found some that were legit. Just check carefully.

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2004, 02:00 PM   #12  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some suggestions for odd jobs that you might want to do, but they don't actually have you work at home to do them. However, they are flexible and on your schedule. Hope that helps.

1. Donate your plasma for money
2. Mystery shopping I wouldn't "buy" a list, but there are legitimate corporations who pay people who do this.
3. Participate in research studies. I've been paid quite a bit of money to carry a palm pilot all week and answer questions regarding my moods.
I've also had my brain scanned through an MRI, ate samples of cheese for my opinions, and filled out questionnaires.
4. If you're an exhibitionist, art studios/classes will pay people to model, well, um, in the buff.
5. Petsit for people who are out of town for whatever reason
6. I have heard of call centers that will allow you to do computer work from home. You take calls in from customer service but I think you need to have a really good internet connection.

Basically, the legitimate companies will NOT ask you for money in order for you to make money. I hope that helps.

Elizabeth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2004, 03:41 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

I knew someone who did the demos at stores like Wal-Mart, Kroger etc. Does anyone know how to get connected doing stuff like that?
Has anyone heard of Melaleuca? I have a friend that makes pretty good money doing it. She does work at it though. She quit her real job to do it. She's been doing it for almost 2 years now and loves it. I could give you info on it if you are interested.

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2004, 04:30 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

how would one donate plasma?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2004, 04:32 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

okay and the research studies sound VERY interesting...I would love that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2004, 08:16 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

I live in a town of college kids and have heard of them selling plasma for about 30 dollars a pop for two hours of your time. Quick beer money I guess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2004, 08:42 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I used to donate plasma when I was a poor grad. student many moons ago. It's not a whole lot of money, and you can't do it very often (you have to wait for your body to regenerate between times), but it was pretty quick cash, and easy. I used to study while I did it.

I also used to do a lot of Mystery Shopping. That was fun, but I did it mostly for the free meals - another poor time in my life! But I got pretty good at it so the reports weren't too bad to do after doing a few of them. There are scads of companies out there who do this now - just Google "mystery shopping" or "secret shopper". It was a lot of fun, and I got to go to a lot of restaurants I had never been to before - and even got to do a few different ones, like taking new cars for test drives, and even golfing! Not a career, but interesting and worth what you put into it. - J.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2004, 03:05 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

so...how much do you get paid for those kind of things?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2004, 04:16 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

I do product testing for Johnson's Wax. We test products (either up and coming cleaning products or current) for different scents, how well they clean, etc. Usually takes 10-15 mins and I get paid $10- $15. I go during my lunch time at work. I'm doing an in home test right now for 2 wks and will get paid $40 when I bring the products back.

Not a whole lot of money, but it gives me a little extra money now and then. Great this time of year for Christmas money!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2004, 05:22 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Which company did you go through? I 'googled' mystery shopper and a bunch of different companies came up. I just don't want to end up applying for a scam!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2004, 05:25 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceRAK
so...how much do you get paid for those kind of things?
For the plasma, I think they paid me on site, but I'm not sure (way too long ago - and too early yet!). For the Mystery Shopping, I usually had to turn in the report and they would pay me monthly, based on how many I did that month. For the restaurants, they give you so much money to spend on the meal (usually give you a gift cert. or gift card for it), then you get another $15-20 for the report after you send it in. I was just contacted about doing a one for an upscale store I shop at and they said they would give me a $500 gift cert. over a 2-month period, which I would use to buy clothes at this store. I would have to go in a min. of 3 times over those 2 mos., and do a report for each visit. I would also have to try and return something, to grade them on that process as well. I'm so used to evaluating customer service that the reports are a no-brainer now so that's easy - and keeping free clothes?!?! YES!

It's a lot of fun, if you have the time to do it, and can find some close to your house (you usually don't get paid for travel time). Always worth a shot, just to experience it! But like I said, it's tough to make it a career, but the bennies can be a nice pick-me-up! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2004, 05:34 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

[/quote]Which company did you go through? I 'googled' mystery shopper and a bunch of different companies came up. I just don't want to end up applying for a scam![/quote]

Rule of thumb to always follow when searching for any type of work: You should NEVER PAY A FEE when working for somebody else!! There are probably so many out there these days that you just have to sort them out and review them. But don't pay for anything. I would try the more common names first, like MysteryShoppersInc. or SecretShoppers.com (I'm making these up). My logic being that those names would probably have been taken awhile ago because they are so logical/common to the industry, therefore they may have been in business longer. Sorry, I can't remember any of the names of the companies I used to do it for. If I do remember, I'll post it. Good luck if you do try! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2004, 06:26 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

www.alpineaccess.com is the website for an outsourcing call center company that someone recommended to me. That person did it during the holidays to earn a bit more money. Their requirements are posted on their website...only problem for me...they never seem to be looking for people in the Seattle area. Their site is looking for people, however, in Phoenix, Portland, Salt Lake, Denver, CO Spgs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2004, 04:40 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

One of the prior posts ask if anyone has heard of Melaleuca. I have, my husband and I were introduced by my sister. We LOVE it! Right now, we are getting the products we buy for free. It's a Health and Wellness Company, and all we do is refer other people to them. They aren't a multi-level marketing business, and there's no risk involved. If you don't like the products, they are 100% money back guaranteed. You don't have to sell anything or keep an inventory. If you only want to be a customer - that's fine. If you'd like more info - pm me or email me to [email protected]

I attempted to post earlier today, but my computer froze on me. :?

Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2004, 05:49 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

One company you can mystery shop for is BestMark. I have worked for them for over 2 years. There is not a lot in my area to do but if you live in a big city they always need people to fill in. I mostly did restaurants with my husband. You pay for your meal and get reimbursed a set amount. I personally didn't like the retail stores because it just didnt feel natural for me.
SCS #11408
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2004, 06:23 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Mystery Shopping:

To get started, go to volition.com or to mysteryshop.org. Any companies found on there are legit companies. There are many others not on those two sites, but it's a good place to get started. As short4j said, You should NEVER PAY A FEE for any of these companies. I know any listed on the two sites above don't require any money from you.

If you're actually needing to make decent money, this is probably not the best way to go. It usually takes a while to build up a decent clientele, shops are fairly sporadic, and it can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months to get paid for completed shops. Most places don't give out the pre-paid gift certificates any more; you pay for it out of your pocket and then get reimbursed. I love doing shops, which I find odd since I hate regular personal shopping, but it is not a reliable income method.

Research Groups / Product Testing:

I would love to get into doing these types of things. I've only seen them available in Texas. Please feel free to post any places to sign up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2004, 06:31 PM   #27  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

but I find that people are always interested in attending a PC party.
Of course people like to go to PC parties, Jessica! There's food involved! :lol: :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2004, 07:24 PM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by LUONGELI
4. If you're an exhibitionist, art studios/classes will pay people to model, well, um, in the buff.

Elizabeth
In case you are interested in this option, my husband did this a couple of times when we were dating and first married (8 years ago). He was paid $10.00 an hour, and each session lasted 3 hours, so he was paid $30.00 each session. They're probably paying more these days.

He was able to take home some of the sketches that the artists threw away, so I am finally getting around to framing one or two and hanging them somewhere in our house. I'll have some 'splaining to do to our parents, I'm sure (He did WHAT?!) - all in the name of art!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2004, 08:43 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

I modeled for a drawing class at my local community college--with ALL my clothes on. It was hard to sit still for so long but it was an interesting experience. $20 for two hours. Not all models are nude, thin, or beautiful--they just need a body :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2004, 06:03 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have recently requested information from this company, http://enjoylife.internetmoms.net/
Has anyone heard of it, what do they do & is it legit? They don't give out much information on the website. I need to call the person back, but I am such a sucker, I'll probably get roped into something I don't really want. LOL

Marjori Miller

Come stamp with me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2004, 06:42 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

Default working from home

In addition to being an SU! demo, I work from home as a medical transcriptionist. I am "self-employed" but I contract my work out from a transcription company. My "boss" only hires people who have either had experience doing Medical transcription or went to school specifically for it and types at least 70 WPM. It is an extremely demanding job, you have to be major disciplined. It is hard to work from home - too many distractions! I enjoy the work, although I've already had to have carpal tunnel release surgery, and my symptoms are back! I've been doing it for over 3 years now, it is interesting, but a lot of work!

Lisa Morgan
www.lisamorgan.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2004, 07:24 AM   #32  
Gabfest Goddess

There is a jewelry company based here in Irvine, Ca called Cookie Lee. It has wonderful cosrtume jewelry!! Beautiful stuff, and seasonal jewelry too. The prices are great, and you earn 50%!!!!!!! The jewelry basically sells itself!!! You have a party and have your inventory there, and usually it all gets bought!!I have several friends who sell Cookie Lee, and they do great!! http://www.cookielee.com/ There are tons of C Lee consults. out here in Calif, but I think few and far betwwen in other states! You could be the first one, and make a killing!!

Also have a friend who does Tastefully Simple, and I think she gets 30-35% income, and she has to set everything up and purchase samples and such, but she does great!
Tandra

SA Sistah -Original Swappers Anonymous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2004, 08:48 AM   #33  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Novell
www.alpineaccess.com is the website for an outsourcing call center company that someone recommended to me. That person did it during the holidays to earn a bit more money. Their requirements are posted on their website...only problem for me...they never seem to be looking for people in the Seattle area. Their site is looking for people, however, in Phoenix, Portland, Salt Lake, Denver, CO Spgs.
I've heard that Alpine Access is pretty good. I'm thinking about working for them. I need to fund my stamping addiction! LOL I'm a SAHM and my kids are in school. I don't want to get a out of the home job and have all my extra money go to daycare.

Mandy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2004, 09:07 AM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

Location: This must be heaven...there are stamps & scrapbooks EVERYWHERE!!!

I dont neccessarily know if I would "Personally" recommend donating plasma. This is something that I did "SEVERAL" times while in college, for quick cash. They basically hook you up to a machine, draw tons of blood, it runs through this machine and removes the plasma from your blood (plasma is water), then they return your blood back to your body. I think there might be more profitable ways of you making money, instead of just $30 each time you give plasma. Just one persons opinion.!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2004, 10:27 AM   #35  
Embossing Fanatic

I was paid $75 a few months ago to give my opinions on pizza for Plaza Research - 2 hours worth of work in the middle of the day - can't beat that! They are in various cities - www.plazaresearch.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2004, 11:15 AM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

I wonder if anyone else knows anything about this Plaza Research thing? Do you have to live in one of those cities listed? Just curious...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2004, 01:40 PM   #37  
Embossing Fanatic

Since they normally involve going in to their offices for the focus groups (for example, the pizza company watched us give feedback from another room), you normally need to be near their locations. However, you can always contact them to ask - sometimes they may have outside events, or telephone interviews.

I've done various surveys with them over the past 4-5 years, it's just a matter of qualifying for what they need at the time. No fees to sign up with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2004, 05:17 AM   #38  
Inking Addict

For those wanting to get into mystery shopping, try http://www.certifiedmarketingservices.com
I never took any assignments, because there wasn't any assignments near me.

HTH,
Elizabeth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2004, 05:40 AM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

Slumber Parties is a good company and you earn 40% right off the top. I am going to join it myself. If anyone wants more information pm me.
Reply With Quote Likes