Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-26-2003, 09:45 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling your hand stamped cards.

Now that we can legally sell our hand-stamped originals, I was wondering if anyone has attempted to do this at bazaars and craft shows. If so, please give an example of what you charged for each card or group of cards. Thanks! Julie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2003, 01:47 PM   #2  
Inking Addict

Default Selling Cards

If you get a private reply will you please share with us. I'm really interested. I've tried to sell some cards on the side, not at a show, and didn't have any luck. I figured it took me like $5 to create the cards and add the envelopes, but I charged $10. I think I finally just gave them away.

If you want to go to a show in OR or Vancouver and want to have some one to participate with you please let me know.

Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2003, 03:09 PM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

Default selling cards

Hi Amy When you say you charged $10, how many cards/envelopes did that include? I did participate in a craft fair once, but the amount of people was not as many as we expected. I sold a few cards for around $3.50 each. Can we sell them online?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2003, 03:56 PM   #4  
Inking Addict

Default Selling Cards

I think there were 6-8 cards in the pkt allong with matching envelopes. I think we could sell them online, just not from the same site we haver our stamping stuff on for SU!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2003, 06:58 AM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Sellin Cards

Oh, girls!! Don't give up on selling your cards. I just recently got into it, and people just love them, probably moreso than creating them.... The trick is to go and sell at a Craft Show. I tried at a Flea Market, and it wasn't much appreciated in that most flea marketers just go to look... At least here, anyway.... PA...
I have also sold bridal shower invitations here, and lots of thank you cards.
The packs of cards sell best. 4 cards for $5.00.... I sell singles for $2.00 and larger cards for $3.00....
Not one vender sold a great deal at the Flea.... but I at least made $37.00... Sounds like nothing, but then I looked at all the gorgeous creative crafts that didn't sell at all.
So.... I'm signed up for 2 Fall Craft Shows.... Focusing on Christmas Card packs, all ocassion packs, and lots of single cards... Especially girl's birthday cards... Using Girlfriends and Pocket Fun... Of course!!
Wish you the best of luck!
Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2003, 08:25 AM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for the positive words Lisa!

I was just wondering if you would mind uploading some of the cards that you sold for $2 and $3. If you could also note which ones you sold in packs that would be great too.

I was selling single cards for $3-$4 and it may have been too much, but they were beautiful cards with great detail and it wouldn't have been worth it to sell them for much less. I'm curious to know how "fancy" the cards are that you sold.

Please share if you can

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2003, 04:12 AM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

Default selling cards

Hi, Julie.... I would love to, I just need to figure out how to do it here.
Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2003, 04:38 AM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

Gosh.... I hope I haven't uploaded my whole documents file here.... Yikes.... Nothing came up, yet it told me they uploaded successfully... Any help much appreciated.
Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2003, 08:54 AM   #9  
SCS Founder

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

let's see, uploading a file.

- click the Add an Attachment button
- in the Filename field click the Browse... button and select the file you want to upload (should be a .gif or .jpg file)
- click Add Attachment
- click Submit

if all goes well the picture should show up right in your posting, below the text.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2003, 01:59 PM   #10  
kim
Crimping Master

Default Selling Cards

Do I need to purchase the "angel stamps" from SU if I'm only going to donate cards to a school auction? That's the only time I'd need those stamps. Any thoughts???

Thanks,
Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2003, 03:48 PM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

No, Anything you donate is not for your own personal profit.
Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2003, 06:03 PM   #12  
kim
Crimping Master

Default Selling Cards

Thanks for your help, Lisa.

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2003, 05:03 AM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

Dear Julie,
I sell my cards for 3.25 to 4.50. It depends on the difficulty and the amount of supplies I use. Most of my cards are 3.25. Occassionally I will send a small basket of cards with my daughter where she teaches violin. The parents will sometimes look through them while they are listening to the lesson. I also have sent some (displayed in a basket) with my husband and daughter to their offices and they have shown them to their co-workers.
I also put a notice (with a couple of samples in clear plastic envelopes) on our "for sale" bulletin board at our church. I have made around $500. I have a base of about 30 different kinds of cards. When I sell out of a certain kind of card, I make more. I like to keep coming up with new ideas for cards. I only send these cards with my family occassionally and now I get requests. I keep a supply in my car so if anyone at church asks me about a card I go get them.
Also, my SU customers love to look at my cards to get new ideas. It keeps interest going.
I give all my profit from this to my daughter to help her pay for a new violin.
I now have a SU customer (age 14) who is selling cards. She comes up with some beautiful ideas.
I have never posted any samples, I think I am afraid of technology, but maybe my daughter will help me sometime.

Faith Simmons
Gainesville, Ga.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2003, 03:29 AM   #14  
Glitter Queen

I just recently found this site and this thread.
I have also made handmade cards to sell but have sold mostly to family and friends. I did have some in a local shop but her business was very slow so I pulled them.
If you are using Stampin' Up! or CTMH stamps designs then you cannot sell the items you make on the internet. Both companies' Angel Policies prohibit the sale of hand made items via the internet - even if you use their Angel Policy stamp that you have paid extra to obtain! If you are selling CTMH hand stamped items they have a further restriction in their policy - the item made cannot contain any stamp images from any other company - it must contain CTMH stamp designs exclusively!
These policies are vastly inferior to the Angel Policies of the major rubber stamp companies. These 2 companies did not even have Angel Policies in place until SU developed their's in 2002 and CTMH in 2003.
If there is anyone out there who would like to see these policies changed please email me. I have a letter that a friend composed that you may mail to the company asking them to change their policy.
Rubber stamps are manufactured with the express purpose of reproducing an image. When the item made has been hand stamped and the company has been given credit for the designs used (by the use of their copyright stamp on the item) then that should be where their policy's restrictions governing the sale of that item end. If they give permission to the user to sell their hand stamped items then they should not be able to restrict the venue by which these items are sold.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2004, 07:58 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Default Selling your handstamped cards.

Hi, I just joined this community today. Just reading some of the forums. This Christmas I made over 200 cards and sold them for 5/$7.50. Some of my cards were simple, and some more involved, so I thought the price was fair. What does everyone else sell there's for??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2004, 06:02 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

I sell mine for 1.50 each...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2004, 07:16 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Thanks for your reply....where in Oregon do you live?? I live in McMinnville.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2004, 09:21 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am in Beaverton, my husbands family lives in McMinnville though...
Did you sell alot of cards over the holidays?
Carrie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2004, 03:37 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Carrie, I sold about 110 cards and also gift tags, I sold those for 5/$1.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2004, 12:50 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Well I thought I would get in on this discussion as I've been selling my cards for a couple of years. I usually only do it a couple months before Christmas as that's when I seem to do the best. I have mine in a basket that I just pass around. Someone took them to the Library where she works and my Chiropracter friend leaves them in her office for a couple of weeks. I put the card a long with the envelope in plastic sleeves and I stamp the greeting that I put inside the card on sticky paper and attach that to the back of the sleeve along with the price. I charge $1.50 for most of them but if I use eyelets or they are a little more envolved I charge $1.75. A lot of my customers buy them so they can get ideas for making cards for themselves. I have only done one craft fair but I didn't do very well because of where it was held. I think if I had done it in a school or something I would have done well. One thing I've learned about making crafts and selling is you never get paid for your time. The way I see it is I enjoy it and even if I break even it helps to keep me afloat as a demo by being able to keep ordering supplies. Hope this helps. Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2004, 03:17 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

That is for sure....the time isn't considered when people buy the stuff. I also just make cards to buy more supplys. I love to just make them, so I decided to sell them to people at just a little over cost so I can constantly get new toys to play with...LOL
The Bazzar I did was at an Elementary School, but it wasn't advertised very well..so no one did very well. I was actually pretty lucky. Alot of the craft vendors didn't sell anything...and I sold about 30 cards..
I was planning for more, but compared to other tables I feel I did well.
It was a good experience though, I got a lot of great compliments, and a few sales after the Bazzar. I gave my info to people and I have had requests to make more for them.
Carrie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2004, 05:34 AM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

Default selling your cards

Card sales,
Ladies I have found that business women tend to but a lot of cards because they can never get out to the stores so I try to give them an over all range of sympathy,thinking of you, get better soon etc. in a package deal of 3.50 each ot 10 for 3.00 and that has been good for me.
It's a good thing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2004, 06:42 AM   #23  
Cardstock Collector

Hi! I'm a first timer here. I think it really depends on the clientelle. I had an open house in September last year. I sold homemade cards w/envelopes for $5 each. They sold, but I also made stamped: gift boxes, albums, gift tags and portfolios, tiles, etc. I made $500.

I also did a craft fair last year selling stamped tiles but didn't do as well. The problem with doing craft fairs, you have to pay to be in them. So, by the time I covered my costs I only made about $100.

I will definitely hold open houses again. I use SU products and wish they would allow me to put my things in shops. I know I could do well there and I'm having a much easier time selling my work than holding parties!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2004, 06:38 AM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

Default Selling cards

Hi there,

I've tried selling individual cards on Ebay, but on most I only got one or two bids and the S&H was about the same as the card. If I did it again, I would definitely sell the cards for 4/$7 or something like that.

Before Christmas, my principal at the school where I work, wanted all the grade levels to do a "factory" model to show the kids about manufacturing, investing, loss, gains, team work, etc. Everyone was doing ornaments, so I (being the special ed. teacher & always having to be different), decided to have the kids make cards to sell.

I came up with 2 simple designs that the kids could easily reproduce, and we ended up getting orders for over 150 cards!! I couldn't believe it. By the end of the week, we made $75 (50 cents/ea.). The kids used $20 on a pizza party and donated the remaining $55 to buy gloves, hats, etc. for the poor.

If I do this next year, my colleagues tell me we should also make "Thank You" cards. Maybe I'll make my own and try to sell them on Ebay next holiday season.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2004, 07:09 PM   #25  
Glitter Queen

Default Selling Hand Stamped Cards

I sell cards on eBay and to family and friends. I also use Stampin' Up! designs but have added designs from a lot of other companies as SU doesn't allow you to sell things made with their designs over the internet.

I don't understand why they insist on holding on to this tight control. I wish they would consider at least allowing you to sell the items made with retired sets. They have already been paid for these designs and they're no longer available. By allowing us to sell our hand stamped creations they would also be assuring themselves a great source of return business as I also enjoy using their cardstock, inks and embellishments.

Many of us sell our cards on eBay and have had auctions cancelled by Stampin' Up!. Now we are making cards which include their stamp designs and designs from other companies on the same card. They have come to realize that they can't have these auctions cancelled as they would then be infringing on the copyright and angel policies of other rubber stamp companies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2004, 05:56 PM   #26  
Crimping Master

Default selling cards

I am a new member to this site and I have to say... I LOVE IT! I don't even know how I found it but it's great.

I've been a SU! demonstrator for about a year now. I've wanted to sell cards at craft fairs but I've been a bit intimidated. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start? Like what kind of cards and how many to make? I guess my biggest question is how do you find the craft fairs in your area? I always find out about them too late to sign up. Any help would be great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2004, 06:32 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default selling cards

My sister gave me an order for 70 birthday cards at the beginning of the year covering all ages.I charge $2.50 CAN for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2004, 07:46 AM   #28  
Cardstock Collector

Default selling cards

my friend and I did a craft show at the end of nov, we sold about 300.00 canadian worth of cards...
$2.00 each, 6 for $10.00
everyone loved them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2004, 06:21 AM   #29  
Glitter Queen

Default New at selling cards

Glad to find this thread...I sell and teach other types of artwork, but I'm brand new to selling cards. Anyone have luck with consignments in country themed shops (locally owned, not franchised)? Any help would be appreciated ~
Carrie in Upstate NY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2004, 09:16 PM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

Default Selling Hand Stamped Items

I must say I am surprised that some people sell cards 10 for $3.00. That makes the cards $.30 each, which is probably less than the supplies into it. I would say they should sell for at least $1.50-$2.50 to cover supplies, overhead and YOUR TIME! To cover the time, it would have to be more than $2.50. But don't sell yourself short on selling handmade items!

I would say if you do a craft show it would be a good idea to make gifts, such as post-it note holders, stamped note pads, stamped bags, cello bags filled with candy with a bag topper, etc. They would look cute and I would think a lot of people would buy them for easy gifts. So to figure out your price per card, you have to figure in your basic supplies involved in the card (cardstock, eyelets, ribbon, etc) and then your overhead (divie up a percentage for your inkpads, markers, etc. per card) and then your time...what is your time worth? At least $10 an hour, so if you can get 10 cards done in an hour this would probably make your card about $2.00! Hallmark cards are at the cheapest $.99 each, so don't sell yourself short!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2004, 02:50 PM   #31  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi!
I brought some of my cards in to work to show to my co-workers. They liked them so much, they asked if I would make them to sell. I agreed, because it gives me the chance to make more cards! I have more ideas than I could possibly use personally, and I never make the same exact card twice. I have them displayed in a plastic shoe box divided by category. I sell them for only $2.00 each, and sales have been pretty steady. I don't care if I turn a profit; I just want to keep stamping!
Happy Heart
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2004, 07:21 AM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default selling cards

I was just wondering which sets to use when selling cards? Is there a particular set you have found to sell better? TIA!

Stampin' by the Sea
Follow me: Pinterest Instagram

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2004, 06:30 AM   #33  
Cardstock Collector

Default selling cards

I'm new to split coast stampers and am glad I found this topic. My family church burnt to the ground from a lighting strike October 2003 and we have been having fundraisers for rebuilding, since insurance doesn't always cover it all. I wanted to sell some of my cards for this purpose and have asked a few friends to donate also. We were unsure what to sell them for but based on what I have read so far I think we will sell them in sets of 8 w/envelopes for $10.
Thanks Again,
CaSandra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2004, 04:28 PM   #34  
Glitter Queen

Default Selling hand-made cards

I totally agree with vfnelson2's post about selling cards so cheaply. You figure you have to take into account what went into the card for supplies, plus your time and effort. You go into any Hallmark store anymore, and they are charging 3 to 5 dollars apiece for most cards, some even more depending on the size. People are willing to pay that price, so why not for a card that is going to be more special. I have seen terrific work by so many stampers, and you know yourselves, that every card you make you put your best effort into it, and it is a source of pride. Like Vicki said, don't sell yourselves short!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2004, 03:33 PM   #35  
Compulsive Stamper

before I started stamping myself, I was ordering and buying cards from a friend who does it. When I ordered my birth announcements from her, I paid her 2$ per card, plus shipping. We agreed on that amount because it was similar to what you'd pay to custom order birth announcements through other places.

Maybe someday when my baby girl naps long enough for me to make more than one or 2 cards at a time, I'll try selling some too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2004, 07:30 PM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

I just emailed a couple few-of-a-kind handmade websites about getting my cards consigned and one said yes! I mail them to her on Monday. After the percentage that she keeps I will make about $3.50- 4.00 a card. We'll see how it goes.

Joleen

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stampinwithjoleen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2004, 04:59 AM   #37  
Compulsive Stamper

I don't want to open a can of worms, so consider this a question.
Doesn't Stampin' Up! prohibit the sale of cards made with their art work in any fixed location or website? I know I have wanted to make handmade cards and put them in some small gift shops around here and when I phoned Stampin' Up! they said "no, it is against our copyright policies". :oops: If I am wrong please let me know. I would love to pursue this again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2004, 10:53 AM   #38  
Watercolor Wizard

Default Selling Cards

Dawn, I have heard the same thing, that you can't sell cards made with Stampin Up stamps, unless they are stamped with the Angel Policy stamps. I would like to sell some of my cards also, and different people have mentioned to me that I should, but for the reason that I have heard it's not allowed, then I haven't pursued it. Can anyone enlighten me on this subject. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2004, 11:17 AM   #39  
Compulsive Stamper

The following text is taken out of the Demonstrators manual under Angel Policy...
Quote:

4. You may sell your craftworks at community fundraisers, seasonal boutiques or bazaars, or other temporary craft events. However, the Stampin' Up! name, trademarks, or logos cannot be used at any location where personal hand-stamped items are sold, nor may they be used in any manner to solicit sales of such items. Hand-stamped items cannot be sold in any permanent retail location (any location that conducts business in a store, consignment shop, kiosk, mall, or Internet site), nor may they be sold to other vendors for resale purposes, nor may they be sold at Stampin' Up!-demonstrator-sponsored events such as workshops, stamp camps, open houses, etc.,
Now, I am not sure about the general public and any restrictions on selling handmade cards using Stampin' Up! stamps (images). You might want to call Stampin' Up! for verification. Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2004, 11:23 AM   #40  
Insane Embellisher

Dawn,
Thank you for verify!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stampinwithjoleen
Reply With Quote Likes