Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-11-2009, 07:34 AM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default graduation announcements

Has anyone ever done their own graduation announcements? My daughter, the procrastinator, waited too late to order hers from her high school. We can order online, but it's pretty pricey. She wanted to know if I could make them.

I guess I could print off the wording on nice paper in a fancy script and add some stamping to make it unique (don't really have anything graduation-related). Just would like to know if you think people would think it's tacky or unique? And would love to see some samples if anyone's done it.

I know people do their own wedding announcements, but graduation sees so "traditional" and regulated.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2009, 07:41 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ugh-I am getting to where if it is a canned invite/announcement I don't even respond. I love the personal touch. There are way to many cute ideas out there and her will be so unique. You may be able to get stickers from the company who did the orders to show the high school. Anyone with left over unused invites you could punch out the school or whatever and photocopy it.

Print on vellum and tie with the school colors. That would be so much cooler than the traditional.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2009, 07:46 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a website where you can order cards and stationery for these types of announcements. I agree with queenbee, that a personalized touch would be very nice.

You could get some good ideas here:

http://www.colorsbydesign.com/store/CAT/Grd.shtml

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

Here is one I recently created in Sam's school colors:

Sam's Graduation Invitation
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2009, 08:58 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is your daughter going to help make the cards? she can help cut pieces, assemble cards... LOL now is the time to teach her to rubber stamp.
here are a few ideas i found online. http://www.creativesolutionsbyshawne...ting_cards.htm
the first card looks like torn mulberry paper on a cardstock, with a vellum word held on by eyelets or brads, and maybe Jolee's cap and diploma. You can stamp the cap and diploma, or just rollup a little scrap of paper and tie with a ribbon. also, stamp your own sentiment.
the second card looks like it is all just cutting layers with a paper trimmer, stamping a sentiment and adding a 'diploma'. the fourth card (my favorite) is three squares you can cut with a trimmer or use punches, which can be done pretty quickly.
-laura s
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2009, 05:39 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

I am working on making cards for my two that will be graduating this June. The second one surprised us all by becoming a senior two weeks ago and graduating a year early. They were junior and senior! I had one designed, and started, now I need to come up with a design for my daughter. I am getting there, but not done yet.

Deciding what to put inside is the hardest part. I don't want to invite people to come for graduation (we are military and have no family here) and there are only 6 seats per child given out. And we are moving about a week after graduation to a new place, so I don't really want to have a big party.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2009, 05:41 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I have made homemade grad cards for nieces and nephews for years, now I do for select friends. This year though 2 nieces a great nephew and my son are graduating. So last fall we created 50 cards for that side of the family using black and white (3 are graduating from 1 school and 1 from another school). Next I created designs for the other side of the family for everyone. I helped all get those cards done but I still haven't gotten my son's done have the idea just not time to create. Told the others this is not far your cards are done but I still need to get mine done. Need a little help here
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2009, 06:47 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

My daughter had her open house with a tropical theme. (She and I had just gone on a cruise to the Carribean that I had won from Cremesavers.) Here are her invites:
Sarah's grad invite by mztamela at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2009, 07:57 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

a couple years ago a friend had asked me if I wanted to help make her sons invites and so I did . I just used the school colors and a graduation set of stamps. She loved them when I got them all done only took me a week to make I think about maybe 20 invites along with everything going on around here. The weren't real fancy but she liked them and so did her son..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2009, 09:33 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
In 2006 I did our son's cards. I use a whole sheet of SU's Ballet Blue cardstock (school colors), folded in half. For the inside I printed all the annoucement info on vellum and stuck it to the inside of the card. On the other side of the inside part I put a picture of DS in cap and gown. Only 8 can come to graduation night, and most live out of state so it's an announcement not an invitation. To hold the photo and vellum in place I die cut with the sizzix silver photo corners (school color).

On the front of the card I used the sizzix diploma (white diploma, vellum overlay, blue ribbon part, silver numbers 2006). The diploma is peeking out of the Sizzix pocket die, layered with white cardstock embossed with a silver wolf face from SU's retired wolf set. School mascot of course, along the bottom of the card, under the pocket is the running wolves from the set.

Second son likes the card so much that he wants the same as his brother, except 2009. Works for me, I have all the materials, just need to get started.

No photos, because our computer crashed and I haven't added photos to the new computer. I mailed these out in larger white envelopes. I think I did 50 cards.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2009, 12:06 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

i did the announcements for our son last year.

i made several different styles and just printed the inside info and the open house cards on my computer.

here are a couple pix if you'd like to see what i did...
Attached Thumbnails
graduation announcements-img_6081.jpg   graduation announcements-img_6083.jpg   graduation announcements-img_6085.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

I made these last year for my oldest----scallop redone by wendykins at Splitcoaststampers I printed all the info on my computer, using the RGB codes to match the colors and then I used the extras for thankyous
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2009, 12:28 PM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

I ordered a custom stamp from the following:http://www.stampin.com/online/custom/graduation.htm

The stamp came quickly and was very good quality. That made the announcement really special for my son. I can send you a copy of the card that I made if you would like -
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2009, 01:22 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiggerificandiView Post
I am working on making cards for my two that will be graduating this June. The second one surprised us all by becoming a senior two weeks ago and graduating a year early. They were junior and senior! I had one designed, and started, now I need to come up with a design for my daughter. I am getting there, but not done yet.

Deciding what to put inside is the hardest part. I don't want to invite people to come for graduation (we are military and have no family here) and there are only 6 seats per child given out. And we are moving about a week after graduation to a new place, so I don't really want to have a big party.
Good luck with all of that. I might get shot down in flames but I thought most graduation announcements were just that - announcements because most schools have limited seating capacity, I'm sure there is wording out there in the world somewhere. I know at least one of our local schools is a ticket only situation.

And this link has some good examples http://www.archiversonline.com/yourstruly/graduation
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I made my daughter's graduation announcement/invite. I used the school colors (royal blue and silver) and used a background stamp with versamark ink. I cut a square and stamped 2004 on it and put it on the front. Simple yet elegant. I also made my husband's graduate school announcement (2006) with a heat-embossed graduation cap.

Inside each one I just put a computer-generated announcement/invite.

They really didn't take all that long, and everyone thought they were very nice (at least as opposed to the mass produced ones) And they were much cheaper!
Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2009, 04:11 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are such great ideas. I am graduating in June and can definitely use the ideas. Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2009, 06:12 PM   #17  

Wow - you ladies are all so creative. So I'm making the leap and putting together her invitations. Hoping they turn out well. Thanks for all the ideas and pics!

Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2009, 06:27 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

I made my daughter's college graduation announcements last year. There was only one place to order them from - the school - and they were SO plain. I got some scrapbooking papers and stickers from the bookstore on campus and used parts of those with the school logo on them to make her cards. I did a pocket card. The card that pulled out of the pocket I did on the computer with her info on it. They were very very nice. I can email photos later if you are interested in seeing one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2009, 07:44 PM   #19  

SoSherry - that would be great if you don't mind. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2009, 08:33 AM   #20  
Glitter Queen

I made my son's announcements last year. It was a trifold card that looked like a graduation cap when closed. I used the school colors on the inside and for the tassel. Everyone seemed to enjoy them. I will try to post the pictures here but if I am unsuccessful there are pictures of it in my gallery.
Attached Thumbnails
graduation announcements-grad-ann-1.jpg   graduation announcements-grad-ann-2.jpg   graduation announcements-grad-ann-3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2009, 10:52 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mezalkbView Post
I made my son's announcements last year. It was a trifold card that looked like a graduation cap when closed. I used the school colors on the inside and for the tassel. Everyone seemed to enjoy them. I will try to post the pictures here but if I am unsuccessful there are pictures of it in my gallery.
Oh that is really cute!

Did you order the cards already or did you do all the scoring and folding yourself?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2009, 12:14 PM   #22  
Glitter Queen

I am crazy, I did the cutting, scoring and folding myself. It was very satisfying actually when it was done. Had great response from all who received one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2009, 02:26 PM   #23  
Crimping Master

All great ideas......I'm making my dd's grad announcements too.

thanks for this thread!!

Lori
Michigan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #24  

mezalkb - they all meet in the middle - well there might be a slight overlap. The one i saw used a sticker seal to close itt.

Lori - that isn't it, but that is really a cool card! Thanks for sharing the link.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2009, 08:45 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Here's a college grad invite I did. Some of the wording is erased to protect the innocent.

BAROQUE

MY PINTEREST BOARDS MY BLOG MY WEBSITE
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2009, 11:16 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

graduation announcements-brandy-grad.jpgThis is one I made for my oldest daughter (the girl on the stamp looks like my daughter) Hummm...I see that the one I posted says thank you...that was my practice one....the invites/announcements were the same except for the wording.

For my second daughter I made a more simple one.....I just printed the info. on vellum then matted it with nice scrapbook paper and then matted all that with silver paper and added a ribbon to the top.

Last edited by squirter; 04-17-2009 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2009, 09:36 AM   #27  
Mad Swapper

If it were me, I'd do an inside card that had the information computer-printed on it, and then on the outside - I'd stick with a very simple embossed image. Depending on the colors you use (school colors perhaps) - this can come off just as elegant and classy as the invites you order online.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by skdeleeuwView Post
Here's a college grad invite I did. Some of the wording is erased to protect the innocent.

BAROQUE
Wow! that is stunning and unusual but appropriate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2009, 04:26 PM   #29  

skdeleeuw - that is gorgeous.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by allee'sView Post
Here is one I recently created in Sam's school colors:

Sam's Graduation Invitation
What a really nice card that you made.. and how special.
Congratulations!!

Jessica Lynn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by momis mamaView Post
i did the announcements for our son last year.

i made several different styles and just printed the inside info and the open house cards on my computer.

here are a couple pix if you'd like to see what i did...
I LOVE the first and third one.. very tasteful and classic looking!

Jessica Lynn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2009, 07:58 PM   #32  
Watercolor Wizard

Here's one I did for my son who also missed the deadline last year...
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2009, 04:09 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hmmm now you have me thinking, am I going to remember this thread when the time comes!!! Because, I have just gone round robin with my eldest nearly not ordering his yearbook in time :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2009, 07:24 PM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

I just finished my DD Annoucements today. I am pleased with them. I got the idea from another person here on SCS. I don't know how to post the pictures here, but you can see them in my gallery.

My gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2009, 08:25 PM   #35  
Cardstock Collector

Awesome announcements. My son has been out of school since February. He suffered a spinal cord injury during his wrestling meet. So you can imagine that some of this stuff slipped by us. I love these ideas. These all look better than the announcements I purchase for my older two. This is my first time to this site and I'm sure I will be checking it out all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2009, 06:08 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinasfiveView Post
Awesome announcements. My son has been out of school since February. He suffered a spinal cord injury during his wrestling meet. So you can imagine that some of this stuff slipped by us. I love these ideas. These all look better than the announcements I purchase for my older two. This is my first time to this site and I'm sure I will be checking it out all the time.
Hope your son has a successful recovery. And yes this place is great for helping get ideas flowing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2009, 10:40 PM   #37  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Hope your son has a successful recovery. And yes this place is great for helping get ideas flowing.
Thanks! He is really improving.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2009, 09:04 AM   #38  
Crimping Master

Default Easy Graduation Favor :)

Good luck on the invitations...if you need a graduation "favor", this was super easy but it was a real hit with the "kids".

Graduation Favors by psychkim at Splitcoaststampers

I had a hard time coming up with something that was easy and quick. You can do this so that the colors match the school colors and can even do it with smaller "rolled" type candy (ie rolo's, lifesavers, etc).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2009, 09:11 AM   #39  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks Kim. I love that idea! I'm so excited, this is my third graduation and I'm a graphic designer, artist and do comic book work. So I do wedding invitations, favors, etc...all the the ime for others and simple things for kids. I really want to make this special since my son has had a hard couple of months. I'm going to do these favors as a surprise. He'll love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #40  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinasfiveView Post
Thanks Kim. I love that idea! I'm so excited, this is my third graduation and I'm a graphic designer, artist and do comic book work. So I do wedding invitations, favors, etc...all the the ime for others and simple things for kids. I really want to make this special since my son has had a hard couple of months. I'm going to do these favors as a surprise. He'll love it.
Good luck with the graduation...I bought the candy at Sams club and it was pretty cheap but any rolled candy would work. Have fun
Reply With Quote Likes