Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-14-2009, 03:34 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little disappointing...

I've been stamping for 5 years and only recently became active in SCS....Yes, call me addicted! I've joined a lot of swaps and have tons of fun making cards and kits to trade. I have received some beautiful artistically made cards and some wonderful kits. You can tell that alot of thought and care went into these. Sadly, I have also received some of very poor quality- crooked sayings, smudged images etc. Just wanted to put this out there. I'm now being more selective in those I join. Thanks especially to all the hostesses who set standards and stick to them.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 03:55 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes I know sometimes it does disappointing when you put your best work & materials into swaps and you get some back that are poor quality.
I think most of the swappers has had that. I now try to always do swaps that state "best quality" and things like that.
I still swap though as I love swapping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 04:04 AM   #3  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can understand how you might be disappointed. i think this forum includes stampers from across the spectrum; those that have stamped for 10+ years, and newbies too. i know my swap cards are much nicer now than they were when i first started stamping. i've learned a LOT about color combos, layout, techniques, etc., from cards i've received in swaps.

when i join swaps, most likely i'll receive some that just aren't my artistic style, or maybe the stamper isn't as particular as i am about straight angles, however, i will never stop swapping. for me, swapping is all about sharing art - who knows, one of those returned might be from a future SUPER STAMPER they've gotta start somewhere.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:06 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I think the thing you must remember when you swap is that not all swappers and card makers are at the same level of ability or experience. They learn by getting nice cards from other people and adding that to their experience. Another thing to remember is that there are several if not many people with various disabilities who stamp and swap. Yes, you may get an occassional who just does not care, but for the most part I think you can probably look at the gallery of some and see that this is par for their level at the time. If you only want professional swappers, you could put limits on your swap or state "experienced swappers only". I think that gets a little exclusive, because swapping is for fun and for sharing your ideas and getting ideas. However, if you are looking for specific cards that can be used for demos at your shows, then state the level of ability you expect in the opening invitation. I have found I get mostly nice cards and the ones that are 'disappointing' usually can be looked at and seen that the sender is a novice and this was actually their best quality work. JMO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 04:20 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

I have to agree with other said about novice stampers. If I can be quite blunt, it is the statement you made about being disappointed in the "poor quality" of some that really puts me off swaps and why I no longer participate in them.

See, I am sure at one time (and maybe even now, who knows...) mine would have been considered "poor quality". I only got into stamping a couple of years ago. I joined swaps, agonized about what to make and tried my very best to do "quality" work. I would have hurt my feelings to think people thought it was "poor quality" or that I did not care enough to do my very best.

I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The person who made that card might have been very happy with what they made and put a lot of time and effort into it. Comments like saying it is "poor quality" IMHO are demeaning. If I receive a card that is not my cup my tea, I always find something I LOVE about it, like the color scheme, layout, stamp image, etc.

I think if you look at your swaps with a different perspective then perhaps you will be happier with the cards you receive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 04:30 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I have found that I learn something from every person I have swapped with and I have been stamping 10+ years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 04:37 AM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by larueView Post
I have found that I learn something from every person I have swapped with and I have been stamping 10+ years.
and those "newbie stampers" in the swaps are learning from those with more experience.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 04:58 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

I have never done card swaps but I know that even with the image swaps that this can be a problem. I make sure that the images I send are pristine, no smudges, all lines stamped clearly(even if I have to waste cs in the process) and in every swap that I have participated in, there are one or two images that are, how shall I put this, less than perfect, not enough to make me stop participating (I love them!!!) but enough to make me wonder.

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 05:06 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Smile Don't mean to sound snobby..

not how I want to come across.. I apologize to everyone. I have to say I love swaps and don't plan to quit. I just mean that sometimes it takes awhile for your ink to dry before you put in the envie. I know I sometimes have to stamp 4 or 5 times to get an image that is clear and straight. Sorry again- didn't mean to appear judgemental!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 05:12 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Default Hi

This thread comes back about once or twice a year and makes me feel so bad.

There are swaps that state for demo quality only. There are swaps that state beginners welcome. There are swaps that are in between. I look for the beginner to middle swaps. I don't feel comfortable or wanted in the demo quality only swaps. I can even swap on the demo side if I wanted to and I have belonged to S U for over 2 years, but not much longer.

Due to questionable health, my last swap is still pending. It was to be returned a month ago and I am still waiting for it to come. I had a swap buddie for convention in 2008. Thank you Jana. My other swap was Wis regionals in 2008 and easter in 2008.

About 2 years ago I was told I was prediabetic. I have the monster headaches to prove it and the nausea and vomiting.

Some days i could compete with a good S U demo swap and other days I don't well. As long as the people here will allow me to swap, I will continue to do so. But you need to understand that my swaps are the BEST I CAN DO THAT DAY.

I stay away from Demo quality swaps becasue I know I am not welcome. I can only speak for myself. Thank God for this board and all that welcome us poor quality swapers due to illness, disablities, newness, bad days, etc.

Betty_s_k

P S Still waiting for my last swap to come but is late due to the swapers family problems and will wait until she has time to send them.

Last edited by Betty_S_K; 04-14-2009 at 05:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 05:17 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You are not judgmental sounding as much as curious as to why. When I first started and the woman who showed me did not stamp correctly. My images were pitiful and I still have trouble. Old habits are hard to break. But, participating in swaps I have seen what it is suppose to look like. Now, I am a better stamper. I guess maybe I am more tolerant because of 30 years of grading homework and school work. You have to be a little lax sometimes...kwim?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 05:20 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I think there is a huge difference between someone who is new and learning and their technique is simpler and straight up sloppy work. Let's be honest, if you stamp something and it's all cockeyed and crooked you do it again if you are careful and concerned about your work. That's how you learn. If you are swapping and your work is messy that's not fair. If your work is simpler but meets the swap requirements that's a different story.

I'm Retiring from SU! and hocking my stash here
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 05:35 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly ChickView Post
I have never done card swaps but I know that even with the image swaps that this can be a problem. I make sure that the images I send are pristine, no smudges, all lines stamped clearly(even if I have to waste cs in the process) and in every swap that I have participated in, there are one or two images that are, how shall I put this, less than perfect, not enough to make me stop participating (I love them!!!) but enough to make me wonder.

Pamela
This made me laugh as it describes me to a T. Those who get my image swaps tend to get a few extra to make up for a smudge. Sometimes I just keep the "poor" images for myself because I'm much fussier if the work is for someone else and not me!

The only cardfront swap I've ever participated in was for a Stampin Up regional - was I ever nervous! I made 3 different styles so that the person I was swapping with could choose their favourite. It was the ultimate flattery when someone asked to swap for one of each as it made me feel as though my work was "up to par". All but one of the cards I received were lovely - the ONE just looked like it had been thrown together the night before; some of the cards I received were downright GORGEOUS. I'm sure to *those* swappers I was on the sub-par level.

I hear so many of these comments that I am wary to participate in a card swap on SCS. I think I'd feel better if the organizer "interviewed" the swappers (myself included) to make sure our work was swap worthy. I think I'd hate to *be* the "bad swap" more than I'd hate to get one!

My pitifully neglected gallery

StampingReckLesley (my pitifully neglected blog)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 05:38 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie-DidView Post
I think there is a huge difference between someone who is new and learning and their technique is simpler and straight up sloppy work. Let's be honest, if you stamp something and it's all cockeyed and crooked you do it again if you are careful and concerned about your work. That's how you learn. If you are swapping and your work is messy that's not fair. If your work is simpler but meets the swap requirements that's a different story.
Exactly -- there's a MAJOR gap between swaps that feature smeared ink, adhesive smudges, and construction paper bases when the guidelines stated "SU! only" materials, and those that are simply the work of a new stamper. You'll find that most unhappy swappers are referring to the former when voicing their disappointment and reluctance to continue swapping. After all, who wants to have worked hard and done their best, only to find that others don't seem to have cared at all? I feel secure betting money on the statement that at least 95% of swappers are okay with "newbie" work, as long as it's the best they are able to do and follows the hostess' guidelines in terms of materials, number of layers, etc. What people are NOT okay with is a demo-only swap where folks used Cuttlebug embossing folders, patterned paper from Mike's, or a non-SU! stamp no matter how cute it is.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 05:40 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree. If you wouldn't like it, you shouldn't send it. I'd rather get a swap card late than sloppy... I have gotten half colored, tape misplaced... etc... I'd never send anything like it. And in an image swap, I got some odd paper... lol
Anywhooooooooooooooo
Swaps are fun. But I do limit mine... I'm not the most experienced, but I send decent stuff...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 06:37 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I have often wondering, if I were a hostess for a swap; I would be giving people the same quality of swaps they sent. that may be blunt, but then maybe those swappers
would get the message; and maybe the people who did quality work, would also receive the work of the same quality. A suggestion, would be, check the people who sign
up and check their galleries to see what kind of work they do, if it doesn't look
great, don't sign up for that swap. If you check other members posting, you will also find out if they have signed up for too many swaps, then they don't have enough time to prepare
quality work or willing to spend much on supplies. I've gione with just image swaps, and
decorate my own cards, with a little better results; but then you will also find someone who will just send a small image and you send full card image, so watch what they are requesting; some hostess are more specific in request.

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"

Last edited by stampencamper; 04-14-2009 at 06:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 06:42 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Interesting thread! I've read through all your comments, and can now better see both sides. I used to entertain the possibility of joining in swaps, but I was absolutely certain I would receive less than desirable images/cards. I never thought to look for a sort of 'classificiation'! Not that I would ever be SU level, but I guess my expectations might be different if I understood the level. Thanks for pointing out that there are some fellow stampers that do experience health issues, disabilities, etc. I really needed to be reminded of that. Thanks.
DO U KNOW?
BRAK members love to send SCSers cards on their birthdays? Come join us.

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there
is no path and leave a trail." ... Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 06:50 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Okay ladies...now that I have butterflies in my stomach. I jumped in and signed up for two swaps. My DH wants me to have a reason to stamp and to enjoy it again. Please if you see my work or get one of my swaps tell me honestly what you think. There are days that I think my work would hold it's own but then again I'm in the big leagues. Please share when I need improvement it's the only way I will learn. I really hope not to diasppoint any of you or give you substandard work by your definition.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 06:50 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

i understand the OPs point- there are new stampers, and then there are lazy stampers. LOL if a new stamper follows the rules of the swap, that's fine. but if the rules aren't followed, that's lazy.
i would love to join in an image swap, but since i don't have permanent ink, i cannot join. those are the rules.
-laura s
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 06:53 AM   #20  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampencamperView Post
I have often wondering, if I were a hostess for a swap; I would be giving people the same quality of swaps they sent. that may be blunt, but then maybe those swappers
would get the message; and maybe the people who did quality work, would also receive the work of the same quality. A suggestion, would be, check the people who sign
up and check their galleries to see what kind of work they do, if it doesn't look
great, don't sign up for that swap. If you check other members posting, you will also find out if they have signed up for too many swaps, then they don't have enough time to prepare
quality work or willing to spend much on supplies. I've gione with just image swaps, and
decorate my own cards, with a little better results; but then you will also find someone who will just send a small image and you send full card image, so watch what they are requesting; some hostess are more specific in request.
omg!!!!!!!!!! So SORRY for the hijack, but your siggy almost made me spew coffee all over my desk!!!!! love it!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 06:57 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Default Sorry again!

I didn't mean to offend anyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 07:14 AM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)

I went to a covention one time and witnessed what I like to call "Swap Snobbery"
The hurt look on the woman's face that was turned down to swap was really sad.
I swap with anyone who wants to swap bad cards and all. (For all I know my good card is someone elses Bad card) I have thought about going with a couple of "levels of cards" one being pretty simple but neat and another more labor/ material intensive. I do hate to swap a card I've spent alot of time on for a "sticker card". Would my idea be a good one? Before I joined my stamp group, I heard a story about a former member who brought her children and they had swap cards to swap. I would have made a couple of swap cards just for the kids images they would like, and simple not a huge time or material investment. I think the same thing would work for face to face swaps . I know that doesn't help when to comes to mail swaps...
I guess thats part of the reason I don't do "mail" swaps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 07:28 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by nowinmomView Post
Okay ladies...now that I have butterflies in my stomach. I jumped in and signed up for two swaps. My DH wants me to have a reason to stamp and to enjoy it again. Please if you see my work or get one of my swaps tell me honestly what you think. There are days that I think my work would hold it's own but then again I'm in the big leagues. Please share when I need improvement it's the only way I will learn. I really hope not to diasppoint any of you or give you substandard work by your definition.
I can tell you that the mere fact that you're nervous about your work being "good enough" is an indication to me that you're just the type of person most of us WANT to swap with! You clearly care about your work, so you should be just fine -- swap away! :mrgreen:

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 07:35 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for the kind words. I do care about my cards and my goal is to improve on every card...I still have cards that I make that no-one will ever see but they are good to see where I was.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 08:04 AM   #25  
Glitter Guru

maryb3...please dont beat yourself up over this post! Trust me, I think just about all of us have felt that way before. Thats why I only do SU demo swaps now....I mainly just need cards that are SU only and done at demo quality. And I absolutely GET what you are saying...the point you are trying to make is not about 'simple, well done" cards but about poor quality cards. There is a big difference. And I am sorry, but kids' construction paper, half stamped inages, half colored images, really crooked images & sentiments, smudged images and sentiments are not acceptable in any swap. Many people (demos inparticular) want to share the images on a card with their customers and if its half stamped, they are not giving a good idea of what the image looks like.

Definitely look for swaps that list what you are looking for in a card...SU, Bazzil or other quality cardstock, 2 or more layers of CS, 1 or more embellishments, straight, good cuts, etc. I know when I host I actually do try to swap out the same "quality" of work amongst people if I can. I love simple, well put together cards. I dont think thats being snobby but I know how much time and thought and energy I put into making cards for a swap and I kind of do expect the same back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 08:10 AM   #26  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Mary - I don't think that you're being a snob. I know exactly what you mean. Regardless of skill level, you are expected to follow the swap rules and take pride in your work. I've have been in a million swaps, and I've never heard anybody complain about a swap being "ugly", only that it was falling apart, smudged, crooked, or something careless like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 08:40 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Mary... you are definitely are NOT being a snob! You deserve to get in what you give... ya know? NO worries...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 08:55 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

i actually thought this was a reincarnation of an old thread that started in the exact same way!!! This does come up OFTEN, and there's no right answer. SOME people will be offended that you were disappointed in the quality of cards you received and that's why they don't participate in swaps (afraid of rejection or whatever), SOME people will agree with you and say it's happened to them before and that's why they don't participate in swaps..

if you have an open-invite swap, you will get all skill levels. you will also get people who are swap addicted and the quality lacks because they're mass-producing all the time..
on the other hand, if you hold an invite-only swap, or are asked to be a part of one, they are normally higher in quality.

I don't do swaps anymore, mostly because I don't know what to do with other people's cards. I like to give my own cards away.. But it's up to you to decide what kind of swap you want to do, and what you will "accept."

Last edited by jazzytobi; 04-14-2009 at 09:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 08:58 AM   #29  
Kookie Creator

I find this post personally rude! I have been scrapbooking for 2 years and just started cardmaking within the last few months. I see some wonderful cards on here and that is how I am learning! Swaps give eeryone a chance to learn and see everyones skills. Swaps are for fun not critiquing publicly on a board with negative words. What if the cards you are talking about were made by someone who has a disablility or is new to cardmaking? I know my mentally challenged daughter participated with me in a swap once and everyone said her stuff was horribly made. My 11 year old daughter was in tears for weeks over their rude comments. I still can't get her to creat with me anymore. You should think about that before judging people!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 09:13 AM   #30  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by charms1976View Post
I find this post personally rude! I have been scrapbooking for 2 years and just started cardmaking within the last few months. I see some wonderful cards on here and that is how I am learning! Swaps give eeryone a chance to learn and see everyones skills. Swaps are for fun not critiquing publicly on a board with negative words. What if the cards you are talking about were made by someone who has a disablility or is new to cardmaking? I know my mentally challenged daughter participated with me in a swap once and everyone said her stuff was horribly made. My 11 year old daughter was in tears for weeks over their rude comments. I still can't get her to creat with me anymore. You should think about that before judging people!
I'm so sorry, but I am surprised that you would allow your daughter to participate in an adult swap without clearing it with the other participants first. I also don't understand how/why she would have seen comments about her swaps without you seeing them first and shielding them from her. Can you elaborate on the circumstances?

I'm so sorry, but when I join a swap, I expect an adult's best work unless the swap is listed as being for children.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 09:27 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
I'm so sorry, but I am surprised that you would allow your daughter to participate in an adult swap without clearing it with the other participants first. I also don't understand how/why she would have seen comments about her swaps without you seeing them first and shielding them from her. Can you elaborate on the circumstances?

I'm so sorry, but when I join a swap, I expect an adult's best work unless the swap is listed as being for children.
i expect that as well Krystie. I would like cards back that are made by an adult (i would never swap with children) that are at the same level or same calibur as my own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 09:32 AM   #32  
Kookie Creator

IT was a swap that was done for christmas. It was on a yahoo group that I was on. She made the matted poems that were embellished. She had cut the cardstock like Christmas trees and matted a poem to it. Then she added some glitter to it to make it look like lights on a tree. She even added start brads to the tops of them. She was so proud of them. I thought they looked beautiful and at the same level as I was at. I guess you all are saying that I also am not talented enough to participate since what she made is what I would have done myself. And yes I shielded her from most of the responses but she was curious and wanted to know what people thought. Guess you have to be demos to participate in any swaps now a days. Otherwise people complain about beginner skills.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #33  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

IT was a swap that was done for christmas. It was on a yahoo group that I was on. She made the matted poems that were embellished. She had cut the cardstock like Christmas trees and matted a poem to it. Then she added some glitter to it to make it look like lights on a tree. She even added start brads to the tops of them. She was so proud of them. I thought they looked beautiful and at the same level as I was at. I guess you all are saying that I also am not talented enough to participate since what she made is what I would have done myself. And yes I shielded her from most of the responses but she was curious and wanted to know what people thought. Guess you have to be demos to participate in any swaps now a days. Otherwise people complain about beginner skills.
I'm just confused because in the many swaps that I've participated in, probably around 50, I've never seen ANYONE called out on a forum for the quality of their swaps. People generally complain to the swap hostess, if at all. For "everyone to say her stuff was horribly made" (your quote), I'm puzzled. Could they have fallen apart en route or something? Could the glitter have still been wet and smeared everywhere? I've seen both of these things happen when hosting swaps.

The whole situation is very unfortunate. Maybe you could take cards she's made in the past and start a gallery. She'll get some nice comments, then maybe she'll be interested in crafting again. If you decide to do that, please come back and post so we can comment!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 10:00 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
I'm just confused because in the many swaps that I've participated in, probably around 50, I've never seen ANYONE called out on a forum for the quality of their swaps. People generally complain to the swap hostess, if at all. For "everyone to say her stuff was horribly made" (your quote), I'm puzzled. Could they have fallen apart en route or something? Could the glitter have still been wet and smeared everywhere? I've seen both of these things happen when hosting swaps.

The whole situation is very unfortunate. Maybe you could take cards she's made in the past and start a gallery. She'll get some nice comments, then maybe she'll be interested in crafting again. If you decide to do that, please come back and post so we can comment!
Yes I am sure enough of us would give good feedback!
I don't think Mary called anyone out... I have felt the same in the past. My husband says I am too picky sometimes, but I am hard on myself as well as others.

Anyway... it's ok to talk it out in an adult way. I'm not sure why folks get so upset.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 10:19 AM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

Question Confused comparing boards

:confused:[QUOTE=charms1976;13743705]IT was a swap that was done for christmas. It was on a yahoo group that I was on. QUOTE]

Well for me that says alot. I am getting used to changes as my husband being military means we move alot. As for boards as for different locations they are ran differently and need to be taken for what they are. I hope I am saying this PC but probably not. Yahoo does not have a lot of rules and I am not sure about the swap there but anything I've done there has been controlled on an individual basis.

So far what I've seen here there have been people willing to ask questions as well as answer them. In my opinion on this site things may have been handled differently. Please give them a chance before grouping them. There are alot of sites and some you like and others you don't.

Sorry everyone I got a little emotional with this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 10:28 AM   #36  
Mad Swapper

>>I'm so sorry, but when I join a swap, I expect an adult's best work unless the swap is listed as being for children

i agree
-laura s
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 10:44 AM   #37  
Kookie Creator

My point is not that it was made by a child but that it was something that I would have made. What I am trying to say is that it was at my skill level also. So does that mean I shouldn't be allowed toswap also in fear that everyone would hate it because I am not an EXPERT scrapper????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

My point is not that it was made by a child but that it was something that I would have made. What I am trying to say is that it was at my skill level also. So does that mean I shouldn't be allowed toswap also in fear that everyone would hate it because I am not an EXPERT scrapper????
No, it means the swap rules were vague and the people were rude and impolite to comment about specific cards if the rules didn't support this. I don't do swaps. I used to send cards to a little card club we sent cards monthly but when it became a chore for some of the ladies we stopped - we are all still the best of friends however, and I keep intending to just surprise them all one month. However it did improve my skills immensely to have this little learning environment of support. I wouldn't like to go into a swap "blind" and not know who I am swapping with.

ETA
I meant to add that our little group of cardies found each other and found that we were commenting on the same thing and shared a sense of humor etc. We all had different levels however, because we started as friends everything was constructive rather than destructive criticism.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 10:56 AM   #39  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 602 Likes on 422 Posts

I almost don't want to comment, because this comes up a lot. I enjoy swaps, are some of the cards not as good as others--YES! But you know what sometimes my cards are not as good as others! I enjoy swapping and so I keep doing it. Whenever I use a swap card, I always tell the recipient that I did not make it--good or not so good. Everyone has to start somewhere and we can all learn from each other. Swap if you enjoy it, don't swap if you don't!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2009, 10:56 AM   #40  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

All skill levels are always welcome in standard swaps. Cards that are falling apart, smeared, glue oozing out all sides, and crooked are NOT welcome. That's all that has been discussed in this thread. That has nothing to do with being an expert, it's about sending out your best work.
Reply With Quote Likes