Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-28-2009, 10:25 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Missing body parts...new trend???

I'm wondering why there's all these stamps with missing facial features or the entire top half of the body gone! I don't get it...I keep wanting to draw mouths on those things!
Maybe I'm just an*l.....
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 11:54 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

LOL! You're not alone! I don't care for images of people who are missing facial features or body parts either - especially heads. It just doesn't look right or very pretty to me.

There is one set from MFT called By The Seashore, of a woman wearing a large summer hat while going for a stroll, that doesn't bother me quite as much. It still looks a little weird not seeing a face or any hair, but not as much, because in my mind it actually makes sense that you might not see someone's face when they're wearing a large hat - depending on the angle that you're looking at them. I'll probably buy the set one of these days.

To be honest, the first time I started seeing images of people with no heads, the first thought that came to mind was that the person who drew them can't draw faces very well, so they avoided doing so by drawing bodies without heads. There are a couple stamp companies that have images where the hands and arms on people are not drawn very nicely, in my opinion, and look a little creepy to me. Again, I wondered at the time if the reason for that is because drawing the anatomy doesn't come easy to them, so they either do very simple, impressionistic drawings of body parts, or just don't draw them at all.

Perhaps the designers leave off certain body parts because they simply want the images to be left up to interpretation???

Does anyone have any other theories...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 12:00 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Anyone out there, that can explain this to us. I think the magnolia images are absolutely adorable, and i tried to draw a nose and a mouth, but it actually looked better without, but i still think it looks weird! Why Why Why, do they make them this way????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 12:09 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm with you on this!! I call the MFT sets "headless wonders"....just can't wrap my brain around a headless teacher, 'ya know? Needless to say, I have No headless wonders, kids without noses/mouths in my collection....I admire the DT's who can work with these images.....'cause I would have to get snarky with them and start using them very sarcastically!! (and I'm sure that is why I'm not on any DT's BWHHAAAAAA!!)
Exploring Creativity~blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think MFT's story is that by not putting a head on the ladies they can be any lady in the word - Asian, African, European, Native American etc...

I'm not really a fan of the lack of heads/faces....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 12:53 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Ohhh I'm so glad that someone else feels the same way I hate (sorry I know that is strong) images that are "missing" things. Faceless really freaks me out. I remember years ago reading something about children who draw people without feet have psychotic tendancies or something like that I looked at every pic my daughter ever did and made her draw feet on everything!!! haha I sort of feel the same way about faceless things. The headless ones scare me a bit to. No offense to anyone please!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 01:07 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

i can't picture the MFT ladies WITH a face..

if it's a stamp of a human, the face is what makes a stamp for me. the other MFT stamps "DZ designs" or whatever, and the hanna stamps look too much like archie comic people for me to get into them, they're too cartoon-like, but the headless women have so many colour/theme/style possibilities that i am drawn to them.

and btw, when you stamp them, you aren't supposed to stamp them in a scene with their necks leading to nothing. they're supposed to either be hidden (like a hat etc..) or be at the top of the paper, so it doesn't look like they're headless....

ah to each their own anyway..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 01:22 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I didn't even think about Magnolia. In the beginning, I wasn't crazy about their images because I had noticed the characters are missing a nose and mouth, and have strange looking hands, but I have to admit that Tilda grew on me over time and I don't notice the missing facial features much anymore - I still notice the club-like hands though. As Sue pointed out, drawing in a nose and mouth wouldn't look quite right either. Hmmm... is it possible that that the missing nose and mouth is actually part of the charm of the Magnolia characters???

Thank you RiverIsis for explaining MFT's reason for drawing the women without heads/faces. It makes sense, along with jazzytobi's perspective on the versatility of the images. I still can't see myself warming up to faceless images anytime soon.

Star, that's so funny about the headless teacher... LOL! MFT should do a headless horsewoman set for Halloween. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 02:29 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Persoanlly, I can't do no heads or faces...I think they look cute when other people use them...;)

I just cant bring myself to go headless or faceless.

But I am not much into any stamps that are of people...
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 02:58 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Oooops, my post was gone so I posted another and now it returned so I just deleted it but it seems I have to write something here????

Last edited by Allistamps123; 02-28-2009 at 03:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Yes, I thought the same thing...someone can't draw faces. And MFT has sooooo many of them, like almost all are that way. I think the overstuffed chair with the legs hanging over the edge like someone is talking on the phone is cute but a headless dog walker????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 03:14 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinsane!View Post
Yes, I thought the same thing...someone can't draw faces. And MFT has sooooo many of them, like almost all are that way. I think the overstuffed chair with the legs hanging over the edge like someone is talking on the phone is cute but a headless dog walker????
I think all the images look like I am looking out of a basement flat/apartment or through a window.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 03:41 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I do not like the faceless images. I actually was looking for some new stamps last night and really liked a few images, but because they had no face I passed. It just looks creepy to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 03:43 PM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that Tilda is adorable, but my five year-old granddaughter thinks it's 'weird' that she doesn't have a mouth or nose. I solved the problem by using the mouth and nose from a Magnolia elf when I made this card:
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
123scrap (01-19-2024)
Old 02-28-2009, 04:21 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

The Magnolia stamps remind me of a couple of dolls I had as a kid, no mouth or nose. So the stamps don't really bother me too much. But the headless woman is just not my thing. Keep wondering what is she hiding behind all that stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 04:23 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

The Tildas just creep me out and there have been several new companies lately with goofy or cartoony looking people stamps. I finally got used to the MFTs, mostly, but even the Bellas with those creepy big grins give me the willies. Then there are the children with the huge heads! And cupcakes with faces, arms, legs.....bunnies? No thanks. I'll stick with flowers, swirls, trees, cupcakes with NO faces.....etc. I like the more whimsical style but not that far out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 05:16 PM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinsane!View Post
LOL.... the dog walker one kind of freaks me out, too... and the witch one!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 05:47 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

The only time I think they look "ok" is when the stamper cuts the paper off at that point also, kind of like a photo where the head got cut off, or a photo where you just want to see what the lower half is doing. But if the stamper leaves empty space above the "cut off line", then it looks like a headless person, LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 06:01 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

To each his own, but I agree with most on this thread. Another type of face on a stamp I do not care for is when a face is drawn with just 2 dots for eyes, and a curved line for the mouth. Way too simple for me! You can do a simple face without resorting to looking like a preschooler drew them, LOL.

The Bellas are ok in every way other than the stick arms. That I don't care for. I realized I really liked the Bella that is dressed in the winter coat, then i realized it was because it had its stick arms covered, LOL.

I really WANT to like the Magnolia stamps, but I just can't get past the faces. they look like potato heads. I LOVE the way they are made to sit on furniture, etc.I love the way the bodies are drawn. But the faces, not so much.

One style I really love are Elisabeth Bell for Sugar Nellie and WOJ. I love the faces and the clothes on the characters. The new Gorjuss Girl stamps are cute too, even though I don't think they have mouths either, but the face is cute. I love the look of Sarah Kay, just wish it came in rubber instead of clear.

I LOVE the Stampotique Torrente stamps. They really have character to them

I guess I like something in middle between too realistic and too simplistic, maybe leaning more towards realistic. That includes, people, animals, or any stamps, really. I love swirly, curly illustrations, and old fashioned vintage-y illustrations, or sketchy artsy looks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Ok ok ok, I'll be the odd one out.. I really like the "headless women" that MFT makes. *granted, I don't have any*, but to me it lets me relate to the image. When I see the "headless dog walker" or the "woman in the chair on the phone" I can picture myself in that image, and therefore can relate. I can't see myself using a stamp with a face I can't relate to. Sorry if that doesn't make sense. However, that all being said, I don't like the Magnolia stamps. The kids freak me out... same with the Bella's. Something about that grin gives me the willies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #21  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm with everybody else on the headless/faceless trend. However, I love Magnolias - I have a few Tilda's and may get a couple more. But the rest, I need faces.

I'm getting a little tired of all the look alikes. I have no idea who was first to introduce any particular line so I'm not going to think in terms of copycats, but I used to be able to tell who made a stamp because of the different styles, now it's getting hard to tell the difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 06:56 PM   #22  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylovestostampView Post
Ok ok ok, I'll be the odd one out.. I really like the "headless women" that MFT makes. *granted, I don't have any*, but to me it lets me relate to the image. When I see the "headless dog walker" or the "woman in the chair on the phone" I can picture myself in that image, and therefore can relate. I can't see myself using a stamp with a face I can't relate to. Sorry if that doesn't make sense. However, that all being said, I don't like the Magnolia stamps. The kids freak me out... same with the Bella's. Something about that grin gives me the willies.
I totally agree with you! I was explaining to my husband that she doesn't have a head so it can represent any woman--not just one woman who looks like the stamp!

That said, I don't really like the Magnolia images. They're a little country for my taste. Honestly, I didn't even notice they were missing mouths and now that I look at it, they look a little funny--country funny.

This is a funny thread though--isn't it interesting how so many different tastes make up this stamp community?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 07:02 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

It's so interesting to read this thread. I would love to hear what people ARE attracted to,what they wish for etc.
I love that all companies have their unique styles. Kim's stamps actually look like they have heads to me..LOL.. I picture my girlfriends, my mom etc.. Love those stamps! And my creepy bellas? I still love 'em *winks*
mwah! That's why it is so amazing that people have their own preferences and tastes...! I too have my preferences .. likes and dislikes and I have so many choices which I love!
Em
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 07:25 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

My son always asked me why the Magnolia stamps have not mouths, so I him that in the magical land of mommies little kids had no mouths so they could not talk back and they all lived happily ever after.
Proud Designer for Tuesday Morning Sketches
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
123scrap (01-19-2024)
Old 02-28-2009, 07:35 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawnbarghornView Post
My son always asked me why the Magnolia stamps have not mouths, so I him that in the magical land of mommies little kids had no mouths so they could not talk back and they all lived happily ever after.
:-D LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 09:03 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

ok....I like the headless stamps. To me it's like looking at a scene with your sunvisor down. I like imagining the rest of the picture.

kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 09:18 PM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by JadiebirdView Post
To each his own, but I agree with most on this thread. Another type of face on a stamp I do not care for is when a face is drawn with just 2 dots for eyes, and a curved line for the mouth. Way too simple for me! You can do a simple face without resorting to looking like a preschooler drew them, LOL.

The Bellas are ok in every way other than the stick arms. That I don't care for. I realized I really liked the Bella that is dressed in the winter coat, then i realized it was because it had its stick arms covered, LOL.

I really WANT to like the Magnolia stamps, but I just can't get past the faces. they look like potato heads. I LOVE the way they are made to sit on furniture, etc.I love the way the bodies are drawn. But the faces, not so much.

One style I really love are Elisabeth Bell for Sugar Nellie and WOJ. I love the faces and the clothes on the characters. The new Gorjuss Girl stamps are cute too, even though I don't think they have mouths either, but the face is cute. I love the look of Sarah Kay, just wish it came in rubber instead of clear.

I LOVE the Stampotique Torrente stamps. They really have character to them

I guess I like something in middle between too realistic and too simplistic, maybe leaning more towards realistic. That includes, people, animals, or any stamps, really. I love swirly, curly illustrations, and old fashioned vintage-y illustrations, or sketchy artsy looks.

Funny....I thought Potato Head too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 09:44 PM   #28  
Duchess of Dork

Quote:

Originally Posted by starView Post
I'm with you on this!! I call the MFT sets "headless wonders"....just can't wrap my brain around a headless teacher, 'ya know? Needless to say, I have No headless wonders, kids without noses/mouths in my collection....I admire the DT's who can work with these images.....'cause I would have to get snarky with them and start using them very sarcastically!! (and I'm sure that is why I'm not on any DT's BWHHAAAAAA!!)
THat line just cracked me up. Yep, hard to wrap your brain around a headless person! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 09:46 PM   #29  
Duchess of Dork

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy HeartView Post
I think that Tilda is adorable, but my five year-old granddaughter thinks it's 'weird' that she doesn't have a mouth or nose. I solved the problem by using the mouth and nose from a Magnolia elf when I made this card:
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
YOu are a genius!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 09:48 PM   #30  
Duchess of Dork

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamping BellaView Post
It's so interesting to read this thread. I would love to hear what people ARE attracted to,what they wish for etc.
I love that all companies have their unique styles. Kim's stamps actually look like they have heads to me..LOL.. I picture my girlfriends, my mom etc.. Love those stamps! And my creepy bellas? I still love 'em *winks*
mwah! That's why it is so amazing that people have their own preferences and tastes...! I too have my preferences .. likes and dislikes and I have so many choices which I love!
Em
Em, I have never seen a creepy bella! Now I gotta go looking! Hmmm, maybe they are all anorexic or something! LOL! I just colored some bellas today!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 09:50 PM   #31  
Duchess of Dork

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawnbarghornView Post
THAT needs a spew alert! LOVE IT!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #32  
Duchess of Dork

I just had to read this thread. It made me giggle. On the Travelin' Dork Sister thread some of the gals make the CUTEST cards with the Magnolia Tildas. Yet, a few of us get really creeped out by the no mouth/nose thing. I just feel like they are suffocating. Maybe b/c I have asthma & also use a cpap at night and am ALWAYS stuffy. Poor kids don't even get a chance! LOL! They are precious images, but I need the mouth. I have wondered if any there is a mouth/nose stamp from the old paper doll set from SU. We have that somewhere. There is a card where a lady drew on the mouth, but doggonit, I didn't favorite it & now don't know where it is. I'll have to find it & post it here. It's so cute!

Headless stamps aren't my thing, either. If they are behind a map or something, I can handle that, but the teacher with no head did freak me out a bit (since I used to be a teacher). Funny, though, I usually only feel that way if I"m looking at the MFT site & see the black & white images. IF I see a card made with the stamps, it does usually look more like a picture where they missed the head. That's what I keep telling myself.

I guess that's why there are so many companies out there. I LOVE Clear Dollar Stamps, but some of my friends don't care for the small images they have. I won't be making any headless or faceless stamps anytime soon!

Oh, was it Mary Engelbrite (sp?) who made the drawings of girls with no eyes or glasses with no eyes or something? And on Veggie Tales there's even a guy who has no eyes. Now THAT is weird and I love my Veggies! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 03:52 AM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

I figured with the Magnolia's you could put their mouths into any expression. The faces on Magnolia's Goblin Spells is what I don't like about them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 04:20 AM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I first saw the headless MFTs, I wondered who had decapitated 'em! But they've really grown on me (hmmmm, that sounds a little weird!). Anyway, I really can't warm up to the Tilda stamps. Too much like a bizarre combo of Cabbage Patch & Holly Hobbie and space aliens - YIKES! A little "country goes sci-fi" anyone?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 04:46 AM   #35  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by deborahmeganView Post

This is a funny thread though--isn't it interesting how so many different tastes make up this stamp community?!
Yes, we're a diverse group, aren't we? Go diversity, go!

I'm not a fan of outline stamps in general so I've never really formed an opinion about the missing/exaggerated parts. All that space to color scares me silly, though I have tried a few and have Bookwormabella 'cause I'm one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 05:41 AM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

As someone who's first stamp set came from Stampin'Up (and am now/still a PROUD hobby demo) I feel that I have grown leaps and bounds to INCLUDE many different styles of stamps since that first stamp set......

IMHO, Bellas, Magnolias, MFTs are about using creative imagination and self expression. The images convey a thought or a feeling. But by coloring them and then adding sentiment brings them to life (sort to speak)

When I look at a stamp, being anatomically correct isn't a priority. If it calls to me it must be for a reason and I usually find a way to happily incorporate it into a crafting project....

I like "people" stamps and use them mainly for scrapping. I have to admit that flowers/trees etc look "all the same to me" (again just mho) but I do like taking "people" characters and mask them near trees and flowers

Bellas are so much fun because they come in so my "styles" of themes and moods...but her smile is what catches my eye and use her often in cards...

Magnolias are the ultimate childhood whimsy... their poses are to die for and their eyes are all the expression I need...

Elisabeth Bell/ Rachell Anne Miller/Sarah Kay calls to my inner "coloring" child and challenges me because their images are VERY intricate in detail....they are the ultimate girly girl stamps:-)

I love the MFTs and their way of being able to deeply convey a sentiment/A MOOD/ a feeling beyond a facial expression

Anya and Ian are also incredibly cute and super fun to color...I am planning on trying a gorgeous GORJUSS girl real soon with her flowing hair and adorable outfits next....

So in response to the OP... You aren't a**l (to quote you..lol) I guess it's just a matter of taste and style...I personally love 'em all!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 05:45 AM   #37  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm all for each their own...that being said - has anyone (old enough to remember the movie) ever thought that those big heads remind them of the boy in the movie 'MASK' with Cher???? Everytime I see one of those images, I think of that movie.

I truly don't mean to be offensive, but since this thread is here, I've always wondered if anyone thought the same thing!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 05:54 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

As a retired educator with 30+ years spent with 10-year-olds, it took me a long time to purchase my first MFT set 'cause that headless teacher really frightened me! :shock: But I must say, I find the mouthless children very appealing! :twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 06:09 AM   #39  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortWizardView Post
The Tildas just creep me out and there have been several new companies lately with goofy or cartoony looking people stamps. I finally got used to the MFTs, mostly, but even the Bellas with those creepy big grins give me the willies. Then there are the children with the huge heads! And cupcakes with faces, arms, legs.....bunnies? No thanks. I'll stick with flowers, swirls, trees, cupcakes with NO faces.....etc. I like the more whimsical style but not that far out.
Jackie, when I read this, I just had to laugh...it IS funny, isn't it? I'm not a big fan of the big-headed children, faceless or not (LOL) and I guess, it's all about whimsy and one's definition of cute whimsy.

But, with that said, I must also add that I am thankful that there are so many diversified stamp flavors available to buy and use. I'm sure that my taste in stamps are not always "the norm" or what's popular, but I'm glad that I have access to use them and to buy them and more importantly, enjoy them.

So, at the end of the day, it's all about the stamper enjoying their craft...whether it be with big-headed children or cupcakes with faces! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 06:17 AM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by starView Post
I'm with you on this!! I call the MFT sets "headless wonders"....just can't wrap my brain around a headless teacher, 'ya know?
My very first thought when you said headless teacher was Charlie Brown. We never saw that teacher, but loved Charlie Brown anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes