Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-24-2009, 04:57 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "In Colors" - help me make sense of this concept!

I really hate the urgency and "limited time only" nature of the whole concept. Please share your thoughts and if/how you buy the In-Colors.

I only recently bought into the whole SU color-matching system. I now have all the regular color family cardstock multi-packs and the markers. I also have a few ink pads that I bought years ago. Now I discover the In-Colors and they are really throwing me for a loop. It kills me that they create a love affair with fun new colors only to take them away from you after a few months. I realize all the demos are using the In-colors on all their blog samples and of course now I "need" at least two of them in ink and paper. I know the ink pads (+refill) will last me forever, but once I run out of the paper will I still feel the same about my pads and use them as much? Are you loading up on the paper? Part of me feels like after blowing through a pack of Baja Breeze, for example, I'll be a little sick of it. Which leads me to wonder if I should spend my money on building my collection of the standard colors since I'll at least always have matching paper to cooridinate with them rather than buy into the "trends." What are your thoughts?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 05:15 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate the idea of in-colors and I try very hard not to buy them. Don't get me wrong--I am a purely Stampin Up girl when it comes to cs and color matching; I love the colors and how easy they are to use/match with their dp. But the in-colors really frustrate me--when I like something, I want to know that it will be supported for more than a year, KWIM? Having said that, I did fall in love with River Rock and Wild Wasabi last year, despite my best efforts to ignore them! I bought one pack of cs and the ink pads for each of those two, but that is the only in-color I have purchased in years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 316 Likes on 202 Posts

How do you make sense of any fashion ~ LoL! Hemlines go up & down, color trends come and go - and SU introduced In-Colors to offer current choices without endangering the stand-bys. I think it's a great idea - always sad to see them retire but always excited to see what's new.

Oh, and BTW I continue to use the re-inkers for watercoloring (sell or use-up everything else) even after the colors retire...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 05:24 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Here's how I handle in colors. When they first come out, I buy a mixed paper pack and the ink pads. As the year progresses, I discover which colors I really like and use. Before the year is over, I purchas the reinkers and If I like the color, I buy an extra paper pack. Even if I run out of the paper, I always find use for the inks. I have found over the past 3 in color seasons that the inks always coordinate nicely with other papers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 05:25 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by isewquilts2View Post
I hate the idea of in-colors and I try very hard not to buy them. Don't get me wrong--I am a purely Stampin Up girl when it comes to cs and color matching; I love the colors and how easy they are to use/match with their dp. But the in-colors really frustrate me--when I like something, I want to know that it will be supported for more than a year, KWIM? Having said that, I did fall in love with River Rock and Wild Wasabi last year, despite my best efforts to ignore them! I bought one pack of cs and the ink pads for each of those two, but that is the only in-color I have purchased in years.
My comment to this is that at least you do know that the colors-ink pads, ribbons, and paper WILL be around for a year. When I get ink pads and cardstock at the LSS I nver know if they will be around next week, let alone, next month or beyond.

In addition, the introduction of the In Color lines allows SU to offer newer/trnedy colors without taking away from their core 48 colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 05:25 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Thanks! I happen to think the Baja Breeze is a really unique color, so I'm going to buy the pad/reinker and a pack of the paper. After that, though, I think I'll continue to collect the regular ink pads that I've had my eye on. Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 05:43 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I just buy what I love...last year it was all but Groovy Guava, and at the end of the year I re-stocked the colors I used most. This year it's all but Kiwi Kiss...

I still have full packs of CS left from 06-07...and finally sold off my stocked up ribbon in Cranberry, Thyme and Violet. LOL

I overbuy since I know I can always get my money back later if I decide I don't need it because there is always someone who is desperate for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 05:44 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by STAMPINGODDESSView Post
My comment to this is that at least you do know that the colors-ink pads, ribbons, and paper WILL be around for a year. When I get ink pads and cardstock at the LSS I nver know if they will be around next week, let alone, next month or beyond.

In addition, the introduction of the In Color lines allows SU to offer newer/trnedy colors without taking away from their core 48 colors.
So true. I really liked the new Basic Grey Porcelain, but my LSS sold out almost immediately and they usually do not ever reorder patterned paper. There was some Cosmo Cricket Halloween paper I really liked, but once it was gone it was gone.

I usually go through a couple packs of In Colors, then when summer rolls around I look forward to whatever new colors there will be along with our 48 standard colors. I really like that there are new colors in the mix every year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

I try to avoid In Colors as much as possible. It frustrates me too. I will purchase a mixed pack of cs, but I will not buy the inks. I really like Pink Pirouette. I used it with the Rose is a Rose set and I think it's the best one to use. I need to try it with Blush Blossom, that may be a healthy substitute. I feel the same way about when they retire one or two of their 48 colors. I still have the old marker set. I have a load of Positively Pink that I've been trying to use up, but it will take me a while.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 06:15 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I think it gives a nice variety to long loyal customers. If you're a demo and your customer owns all of the colors, it gives them something new to buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 06:25 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

The first year I panicked and stocked up on the in-colors when they were discontinued. I was so sad they were gone and couldn't imagine life without them. ;-) The second year, I was not quite so taken with the colors -- loved river rock and the aqua colored one, but could live without the rest. This year, I am totally over the in-colors. I try to avoid them and I get tired of seeing so much of them in the catalog. The only one I love this year is the red and I will buy another pack of that paper before it goes away. I don't mind having the ink pads and refills - I figure I can find a Bazzill paper that will be close to it if need be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2009, 06:33 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just buy the mixed paper pack and then decide which one of the colors I love the most. Last year I ended up buying 3, but really only used 2 of them, this year I only got one. I mainly use outline stamps to color, and I don't use SU inks to color my images, so I don't feel the need to invest in the inks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 05:13 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

I haven't bought many of the In colors. I like a lot of them, but I haven't decided if it is worth the cost to have ink and paper that I can't buy more later. BUT I do like that they are keeping their core 48 colors the same. It is really tough to buy ink and paper, run out of paper and oops! you are two weeks too late to buy that paper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 05:40 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

my normal plan of attack is to buy the ink pads and a mixed batch of CS. then I will go and buy one pack of whatever solids i like the most( River rock, Guava, wasabi...yummy)

this time.. I bought the inkpads and the mixed CS.. and before I had had even USED any of the CS I bought full packs of everything but tangerine. and I am out of Baja already( used it for a shoebox swap).

This is by far my favorite set of overall colors.. I like 'em all, although I have little use for tangerine I am thinking one pack of tangerine and two of everything else. I don't bother with reinkers.. by the time the pads are dry, the paper will have been long gone.

and to think when the preview came out I hated them all! I just needed to see them in person first...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 06:41 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I like the concept. Just like all other companies, SU has seasonal colors/products that will come and go. We generally like "trends" in everything, if for no other reason to keep things fresh. We have trends in clothes (remember how everyone loved the MCHammer pants for a while, or acid washed jeans? ), food (surges in sushi, potato chip flavors, martini's making a comback, not to mention the love for gourmet coffees), and cars (SUV's, then hybrids, etc). If we don't see variety, we get bored (check out the number of complaints here that Michaels has had the same stamps for AGES).

While the short-term availability may seem like you have to buy them all, I don't think that's the case at all. I usually buy a combo pack of the papers to try them out and if there is a color that I like more I'll buy more of it. Last season I only bought the combo pack, this season I bought some single colors that I know I will use a lot. Plus they are around for about a year, so it's not as short-term as some other companies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 06:42 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

The more colors the better as far as I'm concerned. I especially like the fact that the in colors also coordinate with each other and they are not just a random bunch of colors. I make sure to have at least 2 packs of each color and 2 reinkers for each color before they retire. I still use all of the retired in colors. I would be ticked off if they decided to make regular changes to the core 48 so the limited time in colors allows for new stuff without interferring with what I've become accustomed to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 06:50 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm not into the in colors at all. I like to have a supply of papers on hand to use as wanted and don't like if its not available later...yes I know lots of the patterned paper I get is not available from any company forever but I feel differently about my c/s. I only like to use SU! - quality issue- and I like to know that if I buy a pack of the paper it will be available to rebuy if I run out later on even if its a year and a half from now - that said I have found that there are different color variations in the different batches of the c/s so cameo coral in my stash may not match cameo coral that I order and receive now..

I don't have a problem ordering patterned/designer paper and not having the ability to reorder later - only the c/s...I know I'm "strange" as my teens would say!!
Andrea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 07:03 AM   #18  
Forum Fanatic

It's all about making money! Not knocking SU, they have to make money or they wouldn't be around, and all companies do it...but that really is the reason to come up with "latest & greatest" (in fashions, too)...there is nothing wrong with it but I personally don't go out of my way to buy the In Colors unless it is something I would have bought anyway...meaning, I don't buy them just because they match like the other SU stuff, because that won't work after a year.
I am not an SUO person, so I buy inks if I like the colors, regardless of having the exact matching paper. It IS easier to have everything matching, but again in this case that's only for a year, so to me it isn't worth getting all hyped up about them. (sorry to you SU demos, I don't mean to be a downer!)

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 07:28 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

I have totally avoided the In Colors, but maybe someday SU will add the In Colors to their basic 48. Now THAT would be nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 09:35 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

Well I ADORED the in colors the first year I got into stamping - still miss cranberry crisp and thyme... (SU - if you're listening...please bring them back to stay!) But in the last 2 year's I've learned something. I've learned that when a color retires or a stamp set retires, I don't have to stock up because I'm probably going to get just excited about the next new one introduced.

So here is what I do. I usually buy a multi-pack of the in color cs each year and like many if I love a colour (like this year's riding hood red) I'll buy a pack of just that after a while and the ink pad (just for the loved colour). But also, when I'm first using my multi-pack I see how close some of the colours are to existing colours - for example this year kiwi kiss is pretty close to old olive and I actually like old olive better (last year rose red was like that for the pomegranite colour) - so then I stock up on old olive because it works with the patterned paper that has kiwi kiss and it has more applicability and staying power in my crafting - and I've even found the striped ribbon works with it.

Another thing I do with my friends is we each order one of the in colour ribbons and then we split it 4 or 5 ways (depending on how many of us participate). So this year we bought all of the colours except for the tangerine because we're not about that. This is a fun way to get the variety affordably.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 10:55 AM   #21  
Gabfest Goddess

I like the in-colors. I like having some new colors and combos to play with. But I wish wish wish that they would make matching markers to go with the paper and ink. And yes... I have tried the blender pen / ink refill idea and it's just not the same. But I digress...

When the new catalog comes out, I purchase the multipack of cardstock (6 sheets of each color) and a re-inker for each new in-color. Since I prefer the spots to full sized pads, I buy blank spots and use the re-inker to make my own in the in-colors. If I find myself liking a particular color, I will buy full packs of that paper. This year I have really used the baja, riding hood and kiwi a lot. In particular I love kiwi. I will probably also get more pirouette just because I like the really pale shade. Not sure if I will bother with the other 2 colors.

Last year, I really liked the river rock and soft sky - especially together - so I stocked up on that cardstock, sure that I would continue to use it after the new in-colors were here. And... I rarely touch them. Same goes with all the prior years in-colors. It's not like I never use them, but it's pretty rare. So I'm hesitant to get several packs of any one color before they retire, even if I love it, because my trend is to not use it much later on.

There are some colors I barely touched (like vintage violet) that I know I can sell on ebay so I don't regret the purchases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 12:02 PM   #22  
Kookie Creator

OMG - I just lost my entire post and have to start over! Hate when that happens.

OP here...

I've been following this thread as I decide what colors to buy as I build up my SU stash. I have to say I'm a little disheartened. Not by the In-Colors. I totally "get it" from a marketing perspective and from a "trend" perspective, especially when positioned as a mirror of sorts of fashion trends. I obviously love the fresh trendy colors or I wouldn't have started this thread. However...

As I browse through the pdf listing all the catalog sample supply lists, I notice that most, not all, but most of the samples in the catalog use the In-Colors primarily and, in some cases, exclusively. As someone who is slowly moving toward SU brand loyalty because of the reliability of their core colors being a) always available; and b) coordinating with each other, I find it disappointing that their primary catalog/idea book for the year - their go-to shopping and idea "bible" so-to-speak, so heavily features colors that won't be around in six months. Those samples certainly don't sell me on the color inks/papers/accessories that I will buy today and on a regular basis in the future. And, again, SU sells itself on the "matching system". I'm not saying don't promote the heck out of the In-Colors. But do it in the more time-sensitive mini catalogs that come out throughout the year for seasonal items. After all, arent' the In-Colors meant to be seasonal offerings in the first place? And I should also mention that, while I got my catty for free with purchase offer, I wouldn't been a little annoyed had I spent $10 on it.

I'm not picking a fight and I'm by no means a high maintenance shopper. In fact, I am in marketing for the publishing industry myself. The bottom line is I finally decided to maybe buy one or two In-Colors and then turned to the Spring/Summer 2009 catalog for ideas on what additional colors I should buy for the long-term and found very little inspiration or buying incentive.

There. I made my peace! LOL! I'm still placing a huge SU order later today - maybe an In Color even. But I'm really wingining it on the other colors and will be looking oustide of the SU catalog (galleries, etc.) for color inspiration.

Last edited by ctychick; 02-25-2009 at 12:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 03:06 PM   #23  
Crimping Master

When the "In-Colors" first came out, I told myself it was silly to consider purchasing something that was "limited" in that it is only available for a short time. Then I started seeing beautiful cards made with the various colors. I caved and bought a few of them (this would've been about 3 years ago - the very first set). I bought cardstock, ink and refills but didn't get all 6 colors.

The next year, I was determined not to miss out and started "collecting" them earlier. I found myself hoarding so as not to run out of cardstock before the ink/refill. I tell myself that I can use them - but keep finding myself gravitating to newer In-Colors and other existing favorites.

So here I am again with the 2008-2009 In colors and I still have one color family to buy. I feel the urge to complete my collection and will probably do so.

So I guess that puts me in the customer category that SU! wants, eh??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

i love the new in colors. so so pretty. I dont mind having them for a year., its good to have new colors come in.
I just signed up for SU last month and the first thing i bought was the in colors and the reinkers. i love them ;)
especially the pink piroutte and Kiwi Kiss.
sad when they are gone, but atleast I had a year to play with them and have something new to look forward to next year ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 09:24 PM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

Default Just some info on Spring '09 catty

Recently we took a 3-hour car trip, so I took my catty along with the recipes. I ran a total of all the projects in the spring '09 catty - 79% used at least one of the In Colors, and that was just the cardstock, I didn't count the ribbon or decorative papers!

Yes, I was very bored on the drive! haha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 03:09 AM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sew It SeamsView Post
Recently we took a 3-hour car trip, so I took my catty along with the recipes. I ran a total of all the projects in the spring '09 catty - 79% used at least one of the In Colors, and that was just the cardstock, I didn't count the ribbon or decorative papers!

Yes, I was very bored on the drive! haha
Ditto on the car thing. I wouldn't have made it past the first hostess set before I'd be gagging out the window, LOL! I think it would take an industrial dose of Dramanine for me to even look at the COVER of a book without getting sick, LOL!

Interesting way to pass the time, though! I bet if you really did a tally of ink and cardstock alone you'd find the InColors are used predominently.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 03:30 AM   #27  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, being a demo I buy all the In Colors as soon as they come out so that I do have a full year to play with them. For the ones I like the best, I buy an extra pack of cardstock and since I bought the reinker when I bought the pad, I'm set for a long, long time.

I still use the In Colors for non-SU! stamping and for my personal use. Love Cool Caribbean and I'm still using that color, along with Soft Sky, Purely Pomegranate, River Rock and Wild Wasabi from last year. Yesterday I pulled out Marigold Morning and used some of that. And I occasionally use Cranberry Crisp.

A lot depends on the volume of projects you produce. If you're cranking out a card a day and you use every color at least once a week, I could see you might run out after a while. But for the occasional card here and there, a pack or two of cardstock will last you a long, long time.

Where you might run into a problem is for mass produced cards, like shower invitations or Christmas cards. Just stick to the basic 48 for those and you'll be fine.

For those who like to use the catalog to inspire color combinations or to CASE samples, just substitute the color in the regular 48 that is closest to the In Color and see how that works in the project you are doing. I found that you can use Bashful Blue instead of Cool Caribbean, Soft Sky and Baja Breeze...just looks a little different, that's all.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 04:52 AM   #28  
Forum Fanatic

Hi JanTink!
:lol:
I'm jealous, I didn't jump on the band wagon and now I am sorry I missed out on Cool Caribbean! If you ever want to sell some of that paper (or the reinker), let me know!! :mrgreen:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInkView Post
Well, being a demo I buy all the In Colors as soon as they come out so that I do have a full year to play with them. For the ones I like the best, I buy an extra pack of cardstock and since I bought the reinker when I bought the pad, I'm set for a long, long time.

I still use the In Colors for non-SU! stamping and for my personal use. Love Cool Caribbean and I'm still using that color, along with Soft Sky, Purely Pomegranate, River Rock and Wild Wasabi from last year. Yesterday I pulled out Marigold Morning and used some of that. And I occasionally use Cranberry Crisp.

A lot depends on the volume of projects you produce. If you're cranking out a card a day and you use every color at least once a week, I could see you might run out after a while. But for the occasional card here and there, a pack or two of cardstock will last you a long, long time.

Where you might run into a problem is for mass produced cards, like shower invitations or Christmas cards. Just stick to the basic 48 for those and you'll be fine.

For those who like to use the catalog to inspire color combinations or to CASE samples, just substitute the color in the regular 48 that is closest to the In Color and see how that works in the project you are doing. I found that you can use Bashful Blue instead of Cool Caribbean, Soft Sky and Baja Breeze...just looks a little different, that's all.

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 05:23 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am a total "IN" Color Junkie! The first year the IN colors retired I stocked up on CS and bought the ink refills. I found however that I loved the NEW colors so much I didn't use the previous year's colors that much and I still have plenty. So the following year I did not stock up as much although I was certain the New colors coming in could not replace my Purely Pomegranite and Groovy Guava in my heart....I bought two Asst. Packs and a Soft Sky refill. Well.....I can honestly say I hardly ever reach for last year's colors either (and I have all the ribbon too!) because I LOVE the CURRENT Colors. When they introduce next year's colors I am sure the cycle will continue!! I just can't stop myself! LOL! But at least now I don't worry as much about stocking up before they retire.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 03:46 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love the in-colors. I also like the fact that they are only around for 1 year for most of them as I like seeing the NEW in-colors. I do wish that River Rock & Soft Sky was kept though!
I am one that likes seeing the samples int he catty. I never really folow those color layouts though as I use my own colors that I have on hand. I also liek seeing the in-colors in those samples as it gives a really idea on how they match with the regular line of colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 03:59 PM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

I just wish they would make markers in the "in-colors", even if they're only around for a year. I would sooner buy all 5 or 6 in color markers, to go with an assortment paper pack, than just get one or 2 ink pads. I always use the other SU markers to sign cards or journal with the matching papers/stamped images, and I can't do that with the in colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 04:09 PM   #32  
Compulsive Stamper

I just starting buying SU in November 08 so I decided it was not worth buying all the In Colors this year. I actually only have Riding Red Hood and I used it for Christmas cards. I too wish they did the markers in the In Colors because I think I would use them more than the ink pads.

I will say I am looking forward to the 09 In Colors and if I like them I will probably buy all of them to have throughout the year.

I am a former Creative Memories junkie and have not used any of my old card stock in about 3 years. I looked through a catalog just a few weeks ago and all the colors I have are retired. At least with SU the core 48 colors will be around for a while.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #33  
Mad Swapper

i like the idea of new trends, or In Colors... but i never order from a catalog, so i have to be envious of everyone else who gets to buy them ;)
-laura s
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 11:31 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love the in colors...I purchased 11 packs of cool car before it retired...I have at least 3 of all the retired in colors..I love them and will use them. I am working on a stash of all the new ones now.

I too love the Basic Grey Porcelin. I got a 25 count package of each of the papers in the collection...I love Merrakash as well and did the same thing. Basic Grey is awesome paper...blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctychickView Post
I really hate the urgency and "limited time only" nature of the whole concept. Please share your thoughts and if/how you buy the In-Colors.

It kills me that they create a love affair with fun new colors only to take them away from you after a few months. I realize all the demos are using the In-colors on all their blog samples and of course now I "need" at least two of them in ink and paper. What are your thoughts?
Just panning some of the replies here, I'm going against the concensus here. Personally, they feel like a big tease to me, so I avoid them. Not that they (at least some) aren't pretty, but between the standard colors @ SU and everything available from so many other sources, I can easily get along without them. But then, I'm just an SU customer not a demo. I also buy from lots of sources, so that may have something to do it. If I were a demo, I'd probably feel differently.

I've noticed that the SU catalogs use them in just about every sample project (to further entice us to purchase them?), but I just transfer my thoughts to what other colors that project might look good in.

That being said, I must confess I did give in one time, LOL. I bought some river rock b/c it was so wonderfully neutral.

Last edited by binx; 02-27-2009 at 12:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 09:25 AM   #36  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by roxy64View Post
Here's how I handle in colors. When they first come out, I buy a mixed paper pack and the ink pads. As the year progresses, I discover which colors I really like and use. Before the year is over, I purchas the reinkers and If I like the color, I buy an extra paper pack. Even if I run out of the paper, I always find use for the inks. I have found over the past 3 in color seasons that the inks always coordinate nicely with other papers.
I do the same thing. The problem is that I seem to fall in love with almost ALL of the in-colors!
Wouldn't it be great if SU would create a NEW color family with the most popular of the in- colors!

"I'd give up chocolate, but I'm not a quitter!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #37  
Crimping Master

They don't sell the in colours as markers or spots because then they woudn't sell very many ink pads or re-inkers. It's all marketing. I have the in colours and love them but I buy them full well knowing that I am being manipulated by the company. At least I'm aware if what and why I'm spending and I'm OK with that. I buy the mixed pack and reinkers and use a brush to paint on the stamps and mist until I decide which colours I might want more of and then but those pads and more paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 09:00 PM   #38  
Embossing Fanatic

I love the in colors. My greatest regret (stamping that is) is that I didn't stock up on Cranberry Crisp. I have found, however, that like many of you don't go back to the old colors once the new ones come out. I thought I would miss the last group so much and really stocked up, but I love the new ones so mucy especially Kiwi Kiss that I haven't really looked back. I'm not going to stock up this time - just going to count on loving the new colors.

If it's worth stamping, it's worth embellishing!

Blog: www.bevvictory.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2009, 05:49 AM   #39  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I learned my lesson a while back on in colors. I bought paper that "at the time" I loved and now I don't use. Now I buy a pack of the mixed paper and then if I really like a color I'll get a couple packs of paper.

I'll only buy the pad and refill if I know I'll use it a lot (like pink pirouette). Other colors I like but not a fav, I buy the refill and make my own spot. I've also been making markers from versamark pens.

I like the idea of in colors so that the original color line stays in place but gives some new options.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2009, 07:41 AM   #40  
Inking Addict

I'm SO glad they have the In Colors - I would get tired of using the same colors year after year and they are fun to mix with the classic families of colors they have.

Plus I'm LOVING the In Colors this year - can't wait to see what they come up with next catalog.

Holly Stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes