Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-13-2009, 03:26 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SU "hobby demos" - share your thoughts.

I'm thinking about doing this and taking advantage of the current special. I think one day a few years down the road I'd like to be a full-fledged demo, but it can't work for me at this time in my life. But I am thinking about becoming a hobby demo. I'm pretty sure I can make my $300 at least one time around after a small party with a few family members, but I doubt that I would keep it going after that since after my current spending spree I don't think I'll be making sizable and regular SU purchase. Right now I have a decent list SU items that I want to purchase. A few of the stamps/ink pads would be part of my sign-on package and the rest I would purchase for myself as a demo. I have a couple of questions. ALSO... any thoughts (pro's, con's) of being a hobby demo would be appreciated.

1. What are the advantages of purchasing as a demo? (discounts? specials? etc.)

2. I think I read somewhere that I would actually have a little longer than the quarter-long period to make my $300 minimum under the current special. Is this true? Can someone explain?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 04:55 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love being a demo. To me the benefits are:

1. Discount. What can I say? I'm cheap. I love getting SU quality for less.
2. Previews. We get to see what's coming next sooner. We can order selected thing from new catties before the catty goes live. And this year, stamps are 20% off (for their 20th anniversary) during preview sales.
3. Knowledge. We know what promos are coming down the pike (usually) and thus I can better plan my purchases.
4. Opportunity to meet other stampers. I've met at least 4 people just because people saw me with a SU catalogue at kids sports, work, etc.

And many others that I'm sure I'm forogetting. Oh, the SCS demo forums are an amazing wealth of info too.

You have until the end of your first full quarter to make your $300 minimum. So if you signed up now or in March, you'd have until June 30. Then on July 1 there is a new catalogue, so you might very well be able to make mins for that quarter too.

Best of luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 05:03 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

If you have the money to spend on the starter kit, it's well worth it.

I started into it for the sign-on specials at the time and just planned to see how long I could ride the train. I think you'll be surprised. If you can get just a couple friends who like to order here and there, it's not too hard to keep up with the minimums.

And I definitely agree with all the reasons above :-)

"The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me, and 90% how I react to it." ~Charles Swindoll
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 05:06 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am a hobby demo and I also love it. I love getting to see the previews and the oppertunity to buy them before they come out to the public. I LOVE the discount.
If you sing up now, you will just need to sell $300 by June 30th and that will cover you you while the new catty comes out. Who knows, your family may become customers and they can help you maintain your quota then you can stay a demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 05:31 AM   #5  
Glitter Queen

I have been a hobby demo for almost 4 years now and love it. I to have a small group of friends whom I do a workshop with every other month and although they are not big spenders, it usually covers my minimum requirement or at least 1/2. The $300 quarterly requirement adds up quickly. I also love being able to see whats coming out earlier and I love the SU website for demos-lots of good ideas and the demo magazine we get is also filled with lots of great stuff. I especially like that SU does not hound us hobby demos in fact they embrace it. They are a great company to be a part of!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 07:49 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I've been a hobby demo for the past year and really enjoy it.

I love the pre-orders, the discount, the Stampin' Success (demo) magazine, the access to the "Demo Only" forums here ... I'm sure I'm forgetting to mention something else that I love! lol

Before I signed up, I was apprehensive about meeting the minimums. But when I realized it is $100 each month (inc tax & shipping), I realized making the minimums was doable for me. I usually spent that much each month on stamping supplies anyway, so why not get the good stuff?

I take my time and don't order everything I want all at once. It's easier on my budget that way. Spreading out my orders ensures that I'll make the minimums each quarter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 08:25 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

I'm in EXACTLY the same position as the OP, as I'm probably going to sign up this weekend. Now, having read through the responses, I have two questions:

Will I really have until JUNE 30 to place $300 in orders, so that includes from today through June 30? Or do I have to order $300 between April 1 and June 30?

And does the $300 quarterly really include tax and shipping? Or is it just on the prices of the products as listed in the catalog?

Thanks,
Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 08:43 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by LidaBView Post
I'm in EXACTLY the same position as the OP, as I'm probably going to sign up this weekend. Now, having read through the responses, I have two questions:

Will I really have until JUNE 30 to place $300 in orders, so that includes from today through June 30? Or do I have to order $300 between April 1 and June 30? When you sign up, you have two quarters - the current quarter (until March 31) and the next quarter to place your order. and your first order is at a higher Instant Income rate (if this hasn't changed). So, as long as you place 1 $300 order before June 30th - you're good.

And does the $300 quarterly really include tax and shipping? Or is it just on the prices of the products as listed in the catalog? The $300 quarterly is retail pricing. You pay 20% less of retail (your Instant Income) when you order. I figure out that with tax and shipping included, I actually save 3% off of retail, since I am my own "best" customer.

Thanks,
Lisa
And I am really a hobby demo, so more seasoned business demos can probably add more info!

Thank you for visiting ~ My Gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 09:15 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

This is a great time to sign up as a demonstrator, whether as a business venture or just to take advantage of the starter kit special. You would then have until June 30th to place a $300 retail order ($240 your cost). If you work outside your home you may get orders just by showing your catalogs around at your place of employment, if it's allowed. Or have some of your family and friends over for a fun day of stamping. They'll soon become hooked and want to order from you. Good luck & have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 09:29 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

The discount is nice. 20% to start, but if you buy/sell enough in a month that can go up (depends on the monthly sales). The starter kit is a great value and you get an extra 10% off your first $150 order within the first 45 days of your demoship. If you signed up now with the great SAB promo you'd have until June 30th to meet the minimum (your starter kit does not count toward the minimum). If you wait until after SAB (April) you'll have until September to meet the $300 minimum. Just something to think about if $$ is an issue. Oh, and if you don't make your minimum you have 1 month to make it up plus $100 of the next quarterly minimum, so you don't drop right away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 09:36 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

Thanks, everyone!! I just wanted to make sure I was reading the first posts correctly, and it looks like I was. Yea! I'm so excited!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 02:20 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Two things: make sure your FIRST order is your biggest (or wait until you can afford to do that), and that you order within 45 days, so you get the extra 10% off; Realize that, depending on your sales tax where you live, when you add the shipping back in, you will not be saving 20%. A poster above commented that she saves 3% when all is said and done. If you were a customer, of course, you'd be paying full price PLUS tax and shipping (which can be ridiculously high compared to many online companies, but I digress), so it's still a good deal, just remember it when you are ordering, because it can be a shocker to realize the shipping goes back on...
I am a hobby demo, and I love it. I hope I can continue, but for now, it's a great deal.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 03:03 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Default Question

So if I join in February, I have until June 30 before I would have to place another minimum order?

You have until the end of your first full quarter to make your $300 minimum. So if you signed up now or in March, you'd have until June 30. Then on July 1 there is a new catalogue, so you might very well be able to make mins for that quarter too.

Best of luck with your decision.[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 03:05 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Default Sorry

It helps to read all the post - sorry. I see my answer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 03:25 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkyimagesView Post
This is a great time to sign up as a demonstrator, whether as a business venture or just to take advantage of the starter kit special. You would then have until June 30th to place a $300 retail order ($240 your cost). If you work outside your home you may get orders just by showing your catalogs around at your place of employment, if it's allowed. Or have some of your family and friends over for a fun day of stamping. They'll soon become hooked and want to order from you. Good luck & have fun!
As a demo, do you have to have an order of $240 or $300?:confused: Also, I didn't see the answer to the question of: Is the taxes and shipping included as the demos total?
Thanks
Tammy:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 03:58 PM   #16  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2goofyView Post
As a demo, do you have to have an order of $240 or $300?:confused: Also, I didn't see the answer to the question of: Is the taxes and shipping included as the demos total?
Thanks
You have to order $300 in merchandise. It can not be $300 total which would include shipping and taxes that is separate. For example, your order totals $240 plus $24 shipping and 6% taxes. Only the $240 would be counted toward you minimums, which means you need to spend an additional $60 in merchandise for the quarter. I hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 11:01 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by addiemaeView Post
You have to order $300 in merchandise. It can not be $300 total which would include shipping and taxes that is separate. For example, your order totals $240 plus $24 shipping and 6% taxes. Only the $240 would be counted toward you minimums, which means you need to spend an additional $60 in merchandise for the quarter. I hope that helps!
I do not believe that is true. You order $300 of merchandise, which costs you $240 +24 shipping+whatever your county sales tax is. ALL of the $300 counts toward your minimum, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2009, 12:03 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

I've been on the fence about becoming a hobby demo. I love SU and really don't buy anything that isn't SU so I am eager to sign up under this special. Question is......are the rules the same for Canadian demos? This would be in regards to the minimums and when they need to be made by. Any Canadian hobby demo's out there that know this? TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2009, 12:20 AM   #19  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaSchwichView Post
I do not believe that is true. You order $300 of merchandise, which costs you $240 +24 shipping+whatever your county sales tax is. ALL of the $300 counts toward your minimum, though.
She was correct but so are you. It was worded awkwardly.

You have to order $300 to meet the minimum. The $300 is merchandise. Then you have to add in tax and shipping.

As a customer, that adds up to close to $360 in my county, with taxes of 8.25%.

However, as a demo, I get 20% off that $300, then add back in the tax and shipping, so my overall total is just under $300.

Is that clearer?

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2009, 12:21 AM   #20  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

I should add that I've been a hobby demo for several years now, have no intention of doing more, and will stay as long as I can meet the minimums easily. I have two friends that stamp with me and order from me, and that helps.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2009, 05:10 AM   #21  
scrapperazzi

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild4blueView Post
I've been on the fence about becoming a hobby demo. I love SU and really don't buy anything that isn't SU so I am eager to sign up under this special. Question is......are the rules the same for Canadian demos? This would be in regards to the minimums and when they need to be made by. Any Canadian hobby demo's out there that know this? TIA
Our minimums are $400/quarter and they will need to be made in the same time frame.

Now is really a great time to sign up though, with the discount and the extra free stamp set(of your choice) and during SAB where more free stuff can be earned.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2009, 07:38 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love being demo too. At first I didn't think I will last for long, since I am my best customer. But after year and a half I am still here
And the current special it's awesome, you can take advantage even if you don't plan to stay active for a while.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2009, 09:21 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin WroseView Post
She was correct but so are you. It was worded awkwardly.

You have to order $300 to meet the minimum. The $300 is merchandise. Then you have to add in tax and shipping.

As a customer, that adds up to close to $360 in my county, with taxes of 8.25%.

However, as a demo, I get 20% off that $300, then add back in the tax and shipping, so my overall total is just under $300.

Is that clearer?
Yes! That makes sense. Thank you so much for answering.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2009, 09:43 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My favorite thing about being a demo is the hostess set preorder!! I intended to be just a hobby demo, but I have gained a great set of customers so I consider myself both :O)

This is a great time to sign up. I had two ladies sign up under me during this time, one just to get the 30% discount for the first order. The starter kit is a great deal when it is regular price, PLUS you can switch out the stamp sets and ink colors for other ones you want. It is easy to switch to business if that is what you choose to do later though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2009, 09:53 PM   #25  
Kookie Creator

I could probably do the $400 per quarter myself alone! Heehee. I wonder why our minimums are more? :confused:
I read on someone's blog that there is also FREE shipping as well. Is this TRUE? TIA.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MewsinView Post
Our minimums are $400/quarter and they will need to be made in the same time frame.

Now is really a great time to sign up though, with the discount and the extra free stamp set(of your choice) and during SAB where more free stuff can be earned.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2009, 11:00 PM   #26  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
Maybe it's because your prices are so much higher. If a US customer spent $300 from the catalog the same order would probably work out to at least $400 in the Canadian catalog. Maybe even more (I haven't really compared prices but have read about the price difference).
That's exactly right- so it is the same thing, as in we get the same amount of product for $400. In regards to free shipping, some demos offer that but that's out of their own pocket, sometimes SU! has free shipping but not often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #27  
scrapperazzi

Quote:

I could probably do the $400 per quarter myself alone! Heehee. I wonder why our minimums are more? :confused:
I read on someone's blog that there is also FREE shipping as well. Is this TRUE? TIA.
I haven't seen anything about free shipping.

When our prices went down, so did our minimums, so it has to do with the price of the product.

And yes, $400/quarter is doable on your own, a couple people in my downline make their own minimums.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 12:07 PM   #28  
Glitter Guru

I'm going to chime in with something a little different than most, so don't flame me.

I've been a hobby demo since June 2008. I do love SU products, especially the CS and inks and how everything is matchy-matchy. I have a couple of customers who order about once a quarter and basically small orders, so for the most part, like many, I make my own minimums.

SU is going through many changes right now and there are some issues that I am not happy with. I havea limited budget for stamping, like so many of us, and don't necessarily like being tied down to just one company when there are so many great companies out there.

While the discount is nice, there is no free shipping no matter how much your order, and the more you order on an individual order, the higher the shipping. It takes forever for a shipment to get to me from SU - at least a week from the time it leaves SU's warehouse. I can order from other companies just as far away and get things so much quicker.

Back orders seem to be a big issue right now. With the new computer system, they are still working out the bugs which delays orders, or causes them to get lost in limbo. BUT Demo Support is wonderful and SU stands behind its products with no problem.

Being a hobby demo is not all I thought it would be. It has it perks, but does come with it's problems.

JMO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 11:34 PM   #29  
Kookie Creator

Well there is certainly alot to think about. I see transprtbutterfly's point. I also buy supplies at my LSS and on-line, so I guess I can run up a good bit of money in a quarter. Hmmm.....and to think about the shipping.......hmmm... Big question here: What happens if you DON'T make your minimums? Great info ladies, thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 11:54 PM   #30  
Crimping Master

I am seriously considering becoming a Hobby Demo and later on when life slows down, possibly turning it into a business.

I have been a Consultant for 2 home based companies, and 1 I didn't feel that I truly 100% believed in the product and the other had a crappy support system (uplines), so I left both of them.

SU seems to believe in their product and have a wonderful support team behind them, not only with their demo's but with their clients also.

With every company there are pros/cons, but it's up to you to decide if the cons are that important or if both are important to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 02:52 AM   #31  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Well there is certainly alot to think about. I see transprtbutterfly's point. I also buy supplies at my LSS and on-line, so I guess I can run up a good bit of money in a quarter. Hmmm.....and to think about the shipping.......hmmm... Big question here: What happens if you DON'T make your minimums? Great info ladies, thanks!
If you don't make your mins for the quarter, you go into pending and have to make up what you are short on your minimums plus $100 by the end of the first month of the new quarter.

Thanks for not flaming me. I appreciate it. I just wanted to point out the other side of things to think about before you take the plunge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 08:29 PM   #32  
Crimping Master

I picked up everything last night to sign up. I'm SOOOO excited. I can't wait. The deal they are giving right now is a good deal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 05:55 AM   #33  
Crimping Master

[QUOTE=thescrapmaster;13122810]My favorite thing about being a demo is the hostess set preorder!! I intended to be just a hobby demo, but I have gained a great set of customers so I consider myself both :O)
QUOTE]

I just signed up on Tuesday night, so I haven't even placed my first real order, but when this thread popped back up again, I saw this......

Tell me about the hostess set preorder - I'll be placing an order the week of March 9, and I "need" to know what this preorder business is about! (I think I'll also be able to preorder for the new Occasions Mini, right?)

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #34  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 846 Likes on 279 Posts

The hostess and mini preorders are awesome. As demos we can get our hands on new catty stuff a month earlier than our customers- this allows us to make stuff and build up excitement in our customers. Until the new catty is released in July we get an additional 20% off stamp sets only when we preorder them. so as a demo you get 20% off-in addition to that you get an additional 20% off til July 1. You can ultimately earn points (Great Rewards) to redeem for select merchandise (there is a nice variety of things to choose from and the more points you collect the better the stuff is). Pre-orders are limited to one of each stamp set.
Hostess Set pre-orders are only level two and level three and you can choose one set from each level. It's a good way to get hostess sets if you won't ever have your own workshop/order that would qualify you for either of those levels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2009, 08:31 AM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

Okay, I just read through everything as I am also thinking about becoming a hobby demo.

My question is, can you place your quarterly minimums right before that quarter is up? For example, I place my first $300 order by June 30th so that is done. So the next quarter comes and that is due in 3 months, right? Or do I have to place a $100 order every month or can I wait and place a huge order right before the end of that quarter?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvkids3View Post
Okay, I just read through everything as I am also thinking about becoming a hobby demo.

My question is, can you place your quarterly minimums right before that quarter is up? For example, I place my first $300 order by June 30th so that is done. So the next quarter comes and that is due in 3 months, right? Or do I have to place a $100 order every month or can I wait and place a huge order right before the end of that quarter?
You can place an order any time during the quarter and it will count. You can place a $300 anytime before the end of the quarter and be done or you can place several smaller orders. Just as long as you have $300 by 11:59 PM on the day the quarter closes you are good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2009, 10:02 AM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

That helps, thank you.

One last question. If you place a $500 order in a quarter, I'm sure you can't carry that extra $200 in the next quarter right? It has to be placed in that quarter?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2009, 11:19 AM   #38  
Crimping Master

Those of you that have signed up, did you take what they offered or did you subsitute any of the stamps, etc?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2009, 11:25 AM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I signed up I subbed, but it was a long while ago! The two lovely gals who signed up under me this month both substituted for different sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2009, 11:26 AM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candice96View Post
Those of you that have signed up, did you take what they offered or did you subsitute any of the stamps, etc?
I completely customized my kit. I changed out the ink pads to the in colors since I knew I'd be buying the other colors in the color families (saves money that way). I got stamps that I thought I would use rather than those that will sell well (since I had no plans to demo or sell). I also got Earth Elements cardstock packs instead of Bold Brights as the EE are much more my style.

I wish I could buy another kit at this price. It's a FABULOUS deal!!!
Reply With Quote Likes