Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-15-2009, 01:59 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU Craft inks - Pads or Spots?

I think it's about time for me to venture into the world of craft inks. With spring coming and me using a lot more pastels, I think I need craft inks to show on darker cardstock.

So do I buy the spots for about 1/3 the price? Or will I regret that and later want the full-sized pads, thus wasting the money I spent on spots? I think I actually work better with spot sized craft pads. If I try to use a full-sized pad, I seem to smoosh the stamp down too hard and it get's all goopy and my image is blurred. I guess I could just practice. LOL~

Anyway, any advice? Thanks!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2009, 02:01 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have the Classic pads in full sizes and the craft ink in the Stampin Spots. I think it's easier to use and more economical.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2009, 03:22 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

I bought the craft spots a few years ago and I do not regret it one bit. I've never bought a full sized craft pad either, the spots have worked just fine.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2009, 04:15 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

i am planning on buying the craft spots.

i figure i can just buy the full size of the ones i find that i use a lot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2009, 06:58 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Hi! My 2 cents.... I've got the craft spots for a variety of colors for the cost and for embossing. Then I bought my few of my Favourite colors in the large size craft pads. These would be colors I use a lot of or would do embossing with only. For example I have a Real Red for doing hearts or Christmas stuff. Or Old olive for doing leaves, white and vanila in large pads of course for snow and on dark paper.

Or pick a color that you use a lot for big stamps and such where you have to cover a lot of area at a time. I prefer a big gold or silver embossing craft pad versus a little one for Christmas stuff. It's easier to emboss then and you get even coverage. Just my thoughts on this. :rolleyes: Hope that helps!

I haven't had mine long so maybe some of the othe gals can tell you if you should buy the craft reinkers. I don't know how far a spot will last before it needs reinking.
Maybe some of the other gals can give you suggestions for the best colors for buying in the Large craft pads.
Helen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2009, 07:00 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I have the craft spots and love them. I have the full size classic pads, but knew I wouldn't use the craft ink as much as the classic. But I love that I have all the craft colors! Sale-a-brations is a great time to get them!

Visit my Gallary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2009, 10:16 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 104 Likes on 55 Posts

I have all the claasic pads. I bought the Earth Elements and Rich Regals in Craft Spots. This has been enough for me. I do have a few full size craft pads of colors that I use a lot to emboss: Real Red, Whisper White, Basic Black, Summer Sun, Old Olive, Bravo Burgundy, Always Artichoke.
I'd suggest you try the spot and then pick the colors you like the most for full size ink pads. Happy Stampin'!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 05:49 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I agree with the above post. I don't have any spots as of yet but I use pastels a ton. Therefore, I just bought some full sized ink pads in very soft colors and of course you will need black in full size as well. I think the spots (As I said, i dont have them BUT i have used them before) are good in colors you don't use all of the time. By Christmas, I assume I will need a green and red big one too...

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 05:56 AM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the craft large size. When I first started stamping I bought more craft pads than classic as I could emboss or heat set. It was more economical back then. Now, I say buy the spots, less storage, and if you don't like a color you are not out the $$.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 05:56 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks everyone! I ordered the spots in Soft Subtles to see how I like them. I figured if I really didn't care for them, I was only out $25 and I could pass them on to my mom who is a fledgling stamper.

Now I can't wait to get them. LOL~ The waiting game begins. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 08:38 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

I buy Classic pads and Craft spots. You can always buy refills for the spots, and the Craft pads are pricey. You get more colors for your money too, which I like. Buying a few key colors in larger pads makes sense if you know you'll use them often. Also, I hear they last quite a while. If you don't like them, and you are not a demo, you can always sell them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 05:20 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 316 Likes on 202 Posts

I now have about 10 of my favorite colors in the full-size Craft pads, plus all of the Craft Stampin'Spots. It saves me $$$ because I only have to buy clear embossing powder - and I go through a LOT of it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 05:26 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Just a tip, especially for the Soft Subtles, be sure to heat set the craft ink in order to get the true color. You can actually watch it change color and become opaque.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 06:53 PM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

To Any SU Demo:
How long does it take (you) to respond to a prospective new customer by email or phone?? Just wondering. Have sent two emails to one demo in the last month and half. nothing. Looked for another demo, and sent another email this weekend. should I be patient or keep looking, I want someone close to my school (job), or school (college), and they are close to each other...or keep looking...thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by davesgramView Post
To Any SU Demo:
How long does it take (you) to respond to a prospective new customer by email or phone?? Just wondering. Have sent two emails to one demo in the last month and half. nothing. Looked for another demo, and sent another email this weekend. should I be patient or keep looking, I want someone close to my school (job), or school (college), and they are close to each other...or keep looking...thanks.
I'm a demo but not on the demo locator, but I would think that a day or so unless they happen to be out of town.

ANY demo can order things and have them shipped directly to your house for you. There are hundreds of demos here who could help you, I'm sure. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 07:20 PM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

That might be my solution...have to think about it...really want someone close by though...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 08:23 PM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

I see you've already ordered but in case someone else is lurking, I ditto the spots idea...one thing I never knew before is that the COLORS ARE DIFFERENT!!! They are quite a bit darker and more brownish looking in the craft vs. the classic (I have both spot sets). So, if you are expecting an exact match you might be disappointed.
I always disliked Old Olive and never knew why it was so popular until I got it in Classic instead of Craft!!!! really, it's almost a grayish green in the craft...ick.

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 09:03 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

ok...maybe I'm just weird...but I HATE the spots. I have all the craft ink spots. When I go to make multiple cards...maybe I'm just too rough, but I seem to end up knocking or rubbing the piece of foam with the ink in it off.....of the ink spot box. Then I have to mess up my fingers, picking up the wet inked pad, putting it back on the tiny box. This has happened to me more times. Is it just me?

kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2009, 02:29 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

I have both and prefer the ink spots. They are soooo easy to transport when going to scrapbooking meets etc. I also love not having to have the room for all my big pads when making cards at home. You just have to get use to them being so small but so far mine haven't dried out. I have 2 sets and plan on ordering the rest at the next party I attend. Happy STamping !!!

NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS.
Reply With Quote Likes