Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-10-2009, 07:58 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Papers or Inks?

Okay everyone, I need some advice. I'm a new SU demo (just a hobby demo for now) and I know that I can get an extra 10% discount (30% all together) for my first order as a demo. I am waffling on what to order though! One thought is to get all the classic ink pads and some paper (both SU colors and designer papers) since the ink pads are kind of expensive and the discount will help more. The other thought is to get all kinds of paper and just a few inks - I wouldn't save as much, but I might be in a position to make more cards sooner. Either way, I'm planning on getting the rest of either the inks or papers over time to continue meeting my quarterly minimums.

So, the question for all of you is...

Would you recommend starting out with lots of paper and a few inks or lots of inks and a few papers?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 08:16 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Just west of Spokane, WA, on the rim of a lake with a beautiful view

I'm not a demo, just a loyal customer of SU, but my suggestion would be to go more with paper, or at least half and half.

Norma
Chemo Angel
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 08:20 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

If you know that you will be getting all the inks eventually, I would go with getting all of them now with the discount and get the color family paper packs for now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 08:21 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Valeria,

Congratulations on becoming a demo! Are you signed up for the SCS Demo group? There are other forums just for Demos. Anyway, I find that I am using the In Colors this year more than ever before, although you will only have about half a year to use those before new ones come out (of course you can always use them for your personal use). I also use some of the Earth Elements a lot. However, with spring coming, you might like to use the Soft Subtles a lot. It really comes down to personal choice. I would probably pick and choose on some ink colors for now, some are less useful than others. I would probably get an assortment of every color group of paper. Then I would also buy some embellishments, some basic ribbon, brads, Dazzling Diamonds glitter, etc.....so that you have some extra things to jazz up your cards and projects. That's what makes it fun!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 08:25 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm not speaking as a demo here but rather as someone who is DP challenged! I think a lot depends on your style - you can create your own "DP" with stamps and ink and having a good choice of ink colours will make that easier and more enjoyable so I'd vote with taking the bigger saving upfront by getting more inks but as I say, I'm DP challenged so that's probably influencing my thinking here!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 08:28 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I would order all the inks and then a multipack of the In colors, each color family, and the neutrals.

I found that doing it that way helped to to order full packs of the colors I was using the most like Chocolate Chip, Riding Hood Red, Pink Pirouette, Certainly Celery, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 08:30 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I have all of both...and honestly since I have gotten into coloring images more, I would go for all the papers first. I almost aways use black or gray ink and then color my images, and layer it on colored Cardstock.

If I had to start all over, I would go for lots of cardstock, the marker set and a few basic inks. You can always color the whole stamp with the markers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 08:50 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm not a demo but have been a SU customer for a year now. I would definitely recommend more paper and less ink. I would suggest the color packs from each color family - that way you can decide which colors you use the most and get more of those individual colors on your next order. I agree with one of the other posters that you should get a set of markers you can use them to color images and to ink your stamps. I would just get some of the basic ink colors to start with - again until you see what you think you will use the most.

Have fun and enjoy your new stuff when it comes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 09:55 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by TenakeeView Post
Okay everyone, I need some advice. I'm a new SU demo (just a hobby demo for now) and I know that I can get an extra 10% discount (30% all together) for my first order as a demo. I am waffling on what to order though! One thought is to get all the classic ink pads and some paper (both SU colors and designer papers) since the ink pads are kind of expensive and the discount will help more. The other thought is to get all kinds of paper and just a few inks - I wouldn't save as much, but I might be in a position to make more cards sooner. Either way, I'm planning on getting the rest of either the inks or papers over time to continue meeting my quarterly minimums.

So, the question for all of you is...

Would you recommend starting out with lots of paper and a few inks or lots of inks and a few papers?
First congrats on becoming a demo.

30% is 30% regardless if you buy paper or inks. If you budget 100$ for your first purchase, regardless of what you get the discount is still 30%. So I say if you are waffling that you should go half and half. Get some inks and some papers.

"Kindness is something the the blind can see and the deaf can hear" -unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Thanks everyone, for your input! I think that I've decided to go with more paper and less ink for right now. I like the idea of making more cards using images stamped in colors that coordinate with my paper (I haven't done a lot of that in the past), but I'm not sure that I need every single color of ink to have that ability. I think that I'll pick some of my favorite colors and buy inks in those then fill in with the others over time if I find myself using them often.

I will seriously think about the markers as a way to add color to stamped images too. I like my Prismas for coloring stamped images, but I haven't had any luck using the Prismas to actually ink my rubber and stamp with them if you KWIM.

I haven't used the DP much, so I think that I'll spend a little more on multicolor packages from the color families as well as some of my favorite DP in the current catalog.

Too much fun! Thanks again for all the helpful advice, that's one of the reasons that I love this site so much!

P.S. Thanks for the warm welcomes to the demo world as well. I have gotten access to the demo side as well, but haven't had time to get through all the TONS of info over there! I'm anxious to get my order in and my goodies on the way. I knew that there would be some quick input on this side to help me out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by TenakeeView Post
Thanks everyone, for your input! I think that I've decided to go with more paper and less ink for right now. I like the idea of making more cards using images stamped in colors that coordinate with my paper (I haven't done a lot of that in the past), but I'm not sure that I need every single color of ink to have that ability. I think that I'll pick some of my favorite colors and buy inks in those then fill in with the others over time if I find myself using them often.

I will seriously think about the markers as a way to add color to stamped images too. I like my Prismas for coloring stamped images, but I haven't had any luck using the Prismas to actually ink my rubber and stamp with them if you KWIM.

I haven't used the DP much, so I think that I'll spend a little more on multicolor packages from the color families as well as some of my favorite DP in the current catalog.

Too much fun! Thanks again for all the helpful advice, that's one of the reasons that I love this site so much!

P.S. Thanks for the warm welcomes to the demo world as well. I have gotten access to the demo side as well, but haven't had time to get through all the TONS of info over there! I'm anxious to get my order in and my goodies on the way. I knew that there would be some quick input on this side to help me out!

That's a good idea because a lot of the stamps you purchasemay be more condusive to coloring. Then, you really only need a good black ink and markers or watercolor crayons/pencils. You can always color your images to match the paper.

And, did you know that SU markers make great ink pads too? Just color directly on the stamp- huff, (breathe warm moist air on the stamp) and stamp the image! Perfectly matched to your cardstock!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #12  
kraf*T*y mama

I agree with the MORE cs less ink pads and MARKERS!!!! I love my markers!!!!

My fave ink pads are: Basic Black, Basic Grey, Choc Chip, Night of Navy, Real Red, So Saffron, Elegant Eggplant, Choc Chip CRAFT

I would suggest getting at least one pack of each color family cs then figure out your faves - if you don't already know! I made a color swatch ring after doing this and love it!

Also go for DP with current colors cause they are less likely to retire! IN colors will be retiring!

Oh and Choc chip ribbon or another basic color

Mama to Kaden, Blake, and Ava

Origami Owl Independent Designer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 04:34 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I completely agree with markers too. I have to say that I never have had all of the SU ink pads, but still had more than I needed! I passed some along to my sister who is just starting out.

You also can consider getting the Stampin' Spots, too. I have the spots in craft ink and now that I've narrowed down my full-size ink pads (partly because I've started using other brands, too), if I ever feel I need more SU! colors, I'd consider the spots in classic also.

And yes, DP is really fun to have but don't forget to make your own sometimes ;) .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 04:57 PM   #14  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I bought 2 of each color family when I started out. Then as I used the colors up I bought the individual packs
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes