View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 03:40 PM   #66
JulieHRR
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzann View Post
In the case of the Swiss Dot folder, it is just dots.....can someone really copyright dots? They are fairly generic I would think, just rows of dots. They can hardly be considered artwork. The company can say they are copyrighted, but it is kind of questionable if something like that would even stand up in a court of law. I guess it is just easiest to avoid all the tools, artwork, etc. that has restrictions, and just purchase the things that can actually be used without having to think about it! I respect and abide by the policies of the various companies, but I don't believe that a court would back them up in all cases.
Well, yes, agreed; that one might indeed be difficult to back up in court, due to dots being a generic shape.

I was thinking of the ones containing Disney artwork, or others that have a definite artistic design that goes beyond a generic geometric shape.

But, I can certainly understand their reasoning for a policy that goes "across the board", as opposed to one that says this one can, this one can't, etc. UKWIM?

In the case of Provo Craft, they have agreements with Disney they must uphold, not just their own.

Last edited by JulieHRR; 01-22-2009 at 03:44 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!