Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-12-2009, 10:33 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stampin Up on cling film

This may have been discussed elsewhere, I've seen mention that SU should carry clear stamps, but I was just wondering if anyone knows if Stampin Up has considered mounting their rubber stamps on cling film and selling acrylic blocks instead of the wood blocks?

I just recently bought an SU set and decided to mount it on cling film for the first time and wow! It's so much easier to store and easier to see for two step stamping. I considered converting all my wood mounted sets, but it is alot of work but I will definitely do this going forward. I just don't know what to do with the wood blocks now!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 11:02 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

I wish! Then I would buy their stamps again. They are very pretty stamps, but I love trees too much to chuck the wood I am not going to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the idea of having the SU rubber stamps on cling foam. I haven't yet decided to convert all my wood-mounted stamps (I love looking at them LOL), but I agree that their definitely easier to use and store.

My results with rubber are better than my results with the clear stamps, so I've been sticking to rubber unless I just HAVE to have the image/set.

Slightly OT~

Before I knew anything about SU, I went to a party and bought a few sets of stamps. I took them out of the cases when they arrived and, yes, threw the clamshells away. I know, I know...

Does SU sell the cases? I only need 2-3, so I would happily pay to replace them. Had I done this to a whole slew of sets, I'd let it go, but for just a few I'll make up for my newbie mistake.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 04:23 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Default Wishing SU would go to cling mount

We can dream. I do not mount my stamps on wood. Mounting on cling is added expense and work. I would have to stop buying stamps if I continued to use the wood mounts. If only SU could realize that for many customers this is the case. I do believe it would boost sales. Just my opinion I suppose giving us a choice would be a production and shipping nightmare.. Question- how is the Tack It Over and Over working for folks. I buy cling and remount now but am thinking of the TIO how about the Tack and Peel? Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 05:17 AM   #5  
Master of All Things Big Shot

Send a message via Skype™ to militarystampingmom

Stampin Up is unique in that they only offer wood mounted stamps. I too unmount (storage and weight because wood is HEAVY to move with) but I love that SU Stamps are die cut. It makes my system so much easier. I still trim them when I think they need it though. I like my stamps trimmed extra close

There are some people who love the feel of wood and for SU that is a huge selling point. If SU does decide to change I don't see it happening for a long time if ever.

I like the option of unmounting rubber and I prefer rubber over acrylics but I have both and use both.

Last edited by militarystampingmom; 01-13-2009 at 05:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 05:21 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

I've been on sites that offer their stamps mounted or unmounted. I think if the Demos were very diligent about explaining the difference and helping new customers order what they really want, offering stamps both with and without the wood would take SU to a new level.

(BTW, "their" should be they're in my earlier post. I plead lack of chocolate. Dang resolutions. I'll be glad when January is over and I can start breaking them with less guilt.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 05:22 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Is there a product that I can place over the sticky adhesive on the back of SU (and other stamps designed to be wood mounted) to make them "cling"? Just the thin cling film. Can I buy that anywhere? TIA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 09:21 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I used this: http://www.scrappingreatdeals.com/pr...293&bestseller to mount my SU stamps and so far it seems to be working well. I would love to see SU offering the option of mounted or unmounted. Ideally it would make the sets a little less expensive too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 09:47 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
Do you take the rubber off first? Or just put that on? If you don't take the rubber off, how do you store your stamps? I use cd cases and have no desire to change that, and I was worried that the thin ezmount on top of the foam would make the whole thing too thick for a cd case (without being touched or smooshed).
I didn't take the rubber off the foam, but they didn't fit well in the cd case either. They are sitting in the cd cases with my other stamps, but it's just not closed very well I guess next time I will try taking the foam off- I figured it would be good to leave it on cause it stamps better, but I guess if I take the foam off I can just use the foam mat I got with my Inque Boutique stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 10:02 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Do you take the rubber off first? Or just put that on? If you don't take the rubber off, how do you store your stamps? I use cd cases and have no desire to change that, and I was worried that the thin ezmount on top of the foam would make the whole thing too thick for a cd case (without being touched or smooshed).
Thin EZ Mount on top of the SU foam does make the stamps too thick for a cd case. The case will still close, but it presses down on the stamps. I like the thin EZ Mount on its own for smaller stamps, but the couple of SU sets I put it on in addition to the SU cushion, I ended up taking the set down to bare rubber and going with regular EZ Mount.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 01:19 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I plan to share with Stampin Up every opportunity I get as a Demonstrator to let them know my desire for the option of mounted or unmounted. We can influence them if we express our wishes. I have seen several changes over the years which I believe was a clear effort on the part of SU to hear their customers and try to meet their request. JMO Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 04:58 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

I actually did send in this very suggestion to them in the demo suggestion "box" they have. I like my stamps unmounted form the wood also, for the most part. Let us be heard....loudly!! I think they will listen!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 04:58 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I don't know what happened but my posting got put in twice!! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 05:21 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Default Choice Mounted or Unmounted Stamps

Yes, I would love it if our voice could be strong and many and HEARD! I know they ask for suggestions from Demonstrators while at leadership. Sooooo I guess we should try. Just think of the space, money, not to mention trees we could save. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2009, 08:12 PM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Default SU and Their Tree Farm

I have friend who is a demo who knows the owners of SU and they are best friends with the couple who supply the wood for the stamps. They use a tree farm that is just for SU. I have suggested the selling of unmounted stamps, but she told me the above and says it will never happen:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2009, 08:17 PM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Method for unmounting rubberstamps

I have looked in many places and have found many references to using unmounted stamps, people who have unmounted their stamps, but to my frustration, cannot find the actual method for unmounting the stamps from the wood. It is probably under my nose, but it's late, I'm sick with a rotten cold and I am off to bed, hopefully to dream of all those unmade cards out there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2009, 09:14 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMayView Post
I have looked in many places and have found many references to using unmounted stamps, people who have unmounted their stamps, but to my frustration, cannot find the actual method for unmounting the stamps from the wood. It is probably under my nose, but it's late, I'm sick with a rotten cold and I am off to bed, hopefully to dream of all those unmade cards out there.
Here's instructions on this website. Looks easy! I'm contemplating unmounting my 500+ sets!!! Boy that will take me some time. Anyway, here's the instructions: http://sundayint.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=11

HTH,
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2009, 09:24 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMayView Post
I have friend who is a demo who knows the owners of SU and they are best friends with the couple who supply the wood for the stamps. They use a tree farm that is just for SU. I have suggested the selling of unmounted stamps, but she told me the above and says it will never happen:(
Well that is too bad. :( Sounds like she is more interested in keeping her friends on the bankroll than listening to what the customers want. This is one of the main reason why I don't buy SU stamps hardly ever anymore- I prefer unmounted for space and ability to see where I'm stamping and I think the cost of the wood is a good portion of the overall cost of the stamp set (which in my humble opinion is too high anyways).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2009, 09:53 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

I would love SU to give the option to buy stamps either mounted (SINGLE mounted) or unmounted (on EZMount).

There are a lot of people unhappy about all the double-mounted sets in the recent catalog. Double-mounted stamps can be a pain in the tush to use, especially during a workshop when stamps are being passed around. Everyone ends up with ink on her hands and anywhere else. Someone using a stamp is actually tying up TWO stamps in the set, too. Additionally, the labels are teensy tiny and placed on the side of the stamp, not the top. This makes stamping the image a guessing game.

SU says double-mounting is to save on wood & shipping. Since SU charges shipping by the PRICE of the product and not by the WEIGHT, only SU is getting the savings there.

As for saving wood/trees, they'd save more if they'd offer unmounted stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2009, 10:12 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMay
I have friend who is a demo who knows the owners of SU and they are best friends with the couple who supply the wood for the stamps. They use a tree farm that is just for SU. I have suggested the selling of unmounted stamps, but she told me the above and says it will never happen:

Quote:

Originally Posted by PipergirlView Post
Well that is too bad. :( Sounds like she is more interested in keeping her friends on the bankroll than listening to what the customers want. This is one of the main reason why I don't buy SU stamps hardly ever anymore- I prefer unmounted for space and ability to see where I'm stamping and I think the cost of the wood is a good portion of the overall cost of the stamp set (which in my humble opinion is too high anyways).
I love some of the SU sets and hate the wood mounts too. But I don't think we should let her friend's business arangement discourage us from getting the message to SU that many of us prefer unmounted sets. It would be very cool if they sold thier sets with the option of purchasing them with out the wood blocks. I'm not a demonstrator but I'm going to mail them a letter letting them know that as a customer, I would like to see that change. You never know...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2009, 12:36 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Here's instructions on this website. Looks easy! I'm contemplating unmounting my 500+ sets!!! Boy that will take me some time. Anyway, here's the instructions: http://sundayint.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=11

WOW!!! I started to re-mount my stamps on ez-mount. Let me give you a little advice....if you are going to unmount all of your stamps, I would not use ez-mount. I got so sick of cutting that sticky foam. My scissors getting stuck and gooey got very frustrating (I had to keep stopping and cleaning tham with mineral spirits). A stamp set here and there would be fine because I like ez-mount. So, I thought I would try tack-n-peel. I liked it but then had no way to store my stamps since I put the tack-n-peel on my blocks....off to my 3rd option...Aleenes tack it over and over. I like that. I went to a Michele Zindorf class and that is what she had on our stamps so I got to use it without buying it first....I love it! You just brush it on the back of the rubber stamp and let it dry....it only takes a few minutes to dry. The stamps stick very well to an acrylic block and store in a cd case or any other case (SU cases, etc...). Most of my stamps I am doing like this now. Of using the 3, Aleene's is my number 1 choice. I stamp on a foam stamp pad (got it from Michele but they sell at Joann's....it is just a very large foam pad and it works great).
Good luck to you if you unmount all of them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #22  
Inking Addict

I guess I am confused. I believe all of SU!'s sets arrive unmounted so you are not stuck with applying them to the wood block. You can turn your stamps into clings if you remove the padding and put your images on EZ Mount. At this point in my stamping obessesion, I don't want to have to buy a bunch of clear blocks as I would be too lazy to change them out all the time. And I love trees as much as anyone else really, but a wood block thrown in a landfill will break down. An acrylic block thrown into the landfill never will. If you want to talk about what is green, the acrylic block is anything but. The wood blocks come from a tree farm, not the rainforest!!!

But it would be nice if you could order the sets without the wood blocks so that those of you who don't use it aren't stuck with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2009, 12:51 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

I guess I re-mount not so much as to save on trees but to save on space in my craft room. I like the stamps mounted on wood blocks for the ease of use, but I saved so much space by unmounting them.
I guess the big discussion is that SU should offer the option of buying mounted vs. unmounted stamps for those of us that want unmounted stamps and have no use for the wooden blocks. It is a waste of trees to force us to buy the wooden blocks to just throw them away. Once we buy our acrylic blocks, we never have to re-buy them.....it is a one-time purchase.....But, it is all in one's personal preference. And some seller's are starting to offer stamp mounted or unmounted on wooden blocks (the unmounted ones that I have seen are on ez-mount to use with acrylic blocks and they are a little cheaper and some are just rubber sheets to do with as you please).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 11:36 AM   #24  
Glitter Queen

Default )

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherMegView Post
I've been on sites that offer their stamps mounted or unmounted. I think if the Demos were very diligent about explaining the difference and helping new customers order what they really want, offering stamps both with and without the wood would take SU to a new level.

(BTW, "their" should be they're in my earlier post. I plead lack of chocolate. Dang resolutions. I'll be glad when January is over and I can start breaking them with less guilt.)
True, so true! I love all types of stamps, but living in a teeny weeny home, I have limited space. Clear stamps probably wont' hold up over time like rubber. My heart truly lies in buying rubber stamps with a peel off back that makes them cling to a clear block. It's SO simple and space saving.

I do appreciate SU caution with product though. They are still in business where many have fallen to the wayside in this economy. But I hear a LOUD roar for those that simply need more space and would rather skip the wood. I personally plan to show each and every one of the people that I sell to HOW to use the stamps without the wood....LOL, that is once I decide HOW I am converting my BRAND NEW (yippee!!) SU stamps to cling-status. They are all just stacked in their little boxes sleeping on top of the wood for right now.

For the moment, I am going to determine if the sticky that's on the back of them now (meant to adhere to the wood!) is TOO strong to be pulled on/off a clear block....

Anyone out there try this yet? What were your results??

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 11:48 AM   #25  
Glitter Queen

Default but doesn't the backing..

Quote:

If you use tack n peel you don't even have to take the backing off the SU stamps-just stick them to the tack n peel and they come right off easily. You can buy the vinyl cling but it really doesn't stick all that well. I've been using it for years and I have to use double stick tape about half the time.
Come right off the rubberstamp after a few uses? It's meant only to cling until you peel it off and stick it onto "wood"

I'm really trying to get a handle on all of this, because I am a new SU demonstrator (but not new to stamping, wood or cling) and I have something like 25 sets waiting on me to figure out the solution. WOOD is not an option for me. I have zero space to accomodate wood mounts....

Opinions anyone??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #26  
Glitter Queen

Default kinda like "inque boutique" stamps...

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpcurlingView Post
I plan to share with Stampin Up every opportunity I get as a Demonstrator to let them know my desire for the option of mounted or unmounted. We can influence them if we express our wishes. I have seen several changes over the years which I believe was a clear effort on the part of SU to hear their customers and try to meet their request. JMO Thanks
What I mean by that, is if you've ever tried them...it's EASY CHEESY!! T

They come plain rubber (no cushion/foam) and with a backing you peel off and they are very "sticky/clingy" and meant to go right onto clear stamping blocks...AND the image is stamped onto the backside so you see/know what the image is!! Pat Catans carries these, and I have a bazillion of them.

Quality though, SU rubber is by far the better company. Inque Boutique/See D's are just inexpensive stamps meant to last a while. I dont' use the images all the time, so it doesn't matter.

BUT, if Stampin Up would sell their stamps unmounted/unfoamed/ready-to-go with image/strong cling already on the back....well then this girl would be in HEAVEN!!!!!!

My craft room is TINY, so I need to have my stamps this way. I hope SU changes up how they are doing their clings. But until then, I'll be Happy Stamping!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2010, 03:08 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

In case you didn't know, SU has started to offer the option of Cling Mount or Wood Mount! And we carry the most AWESOME clear blocks you've ever stamped with! It's the same great quality SU rubber as always, just mounted on Cling Foam. You can put the label on the stamp or not. They stick *slightly* better without, but I put the label on and I LOVE these new UM SU stamps! They started offering the UM option in the Occasions Mini (which is ending at the end of April) and the option continues with the Summer Mini (May through August) and we think that all the NEW stamp sets in the new catalog come July will be available in Clear Mount as well! Note that these are NOT clear stamps, but good ol' SU rubber for use on clear blocks. Hope this helps someone! :-)
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes